Rick and Morty Griefing Thread - Originally titled "Rick and Morty writer Jessica Gao, who wrote Pickle Rick, leaves show"

Anyone who saw that episode could've told you that. God what a shit season.
The lesson here is applicable in many situations. Don't look for further interaction with the people who create the things you like, because they may well ruin it with their stupidity.

The way people react to that goddamn therapist is an obvious window into their experiences with therapy. It's a "smart" person on a cartoon who has all the answers, again, nothing new here.

neural

It is what it is 'cept it ain't what it used to be
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Jessica Gao landed a pilot deal for an untitled comedy about “a first-generation Chinese-American woman who struggles to set healthy boundaries with her crazy, exhausting family. When her wealthy grandmother dies and names Janet the sole inheritor, she suddenly finds herself the unwilling new matriarch of the family she’s spent her life trying to keep at arm’s length.”
Never watched Rick and Morty, but not gonna lie, this doesn't sound like a premise that would make me kill myself.

Execution may fuck it up though..

kobebyarlant

Straight Outta Side 2 Genders
kiwifarms.net
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciatethe depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. :lit: And yes by the way, I DO have a Rick and Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.
Nothin personnel kid 8)

Alan Pardew

ProJared ✓
Staff Member
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss, who provided audio commentary for the episode, praised one of the “Pickle Rick” monologues as “maybe the best writing in 2017.”
Seriously? Best writing in 2017? There's far better episodes in Season 3 than that, like "The Ricklantis Mixup" or the first episode of Season 3.

Pickle Rick references are extremely annoying and beaten to death (There were indeed memes for Rick & Morty even before that, like Mr. Meeseeks or "Let's Get Schwifty" or "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub" but even then Pickle Rick is beaten to death far more than that) so at least I'm glad there won't be another unfunny beaten to death meme in the show in the future for now.

Phallacies

kiwifarms.net
It's babby's first sci-fi anthology for 16 year olds who shop at Target. The episode was perfectly fine for what it was, you're probably mistaking how you feel about the actual writing for how you feel about the 30 year olds on Reddit getting Pickle Rick tattoos.
Seriously. The shitty side of the fanbase has warped how people feel about this episode to such a degree that I think people just want to hate it for any reason.

It feels like an above average episode compared to some of the other episodes in that season, and it still attempts to tackle some of the larger themes the show has been setting up for a while. I legitimately enjoyed the episode when I watched it on air, and I have a feeling most everyone did too. The only change is that the braindead masses ran the 'meme' into the ground, and surprise surprise, now it's fashionable to shit on this particular episode despite the show being immensely popular otherwise. The fact that the writer was a woman just added oil to the incel fire.

As for the writer leaving, if she wasn't being harrassed personally, I can't fathom why you would leave one of the most talked about shows on the planet for some "Fresh Off the Boat" dogshit spinoff. Literally one of the only Adult Swim shows to break into the mainstream fully and you'd walk away? After Adult Swim orders SEVENTY EPISODES?

Awesome career decision m8.

Cardenio

Cheese?
kiwifarms.net
Seriously. The shitty side of the fanbase has warped how people feel about this episode to such a degree that I think people just want to hate it for any reason.

It feels like an above average episode compared to some of the other episodes in that season, and it still attempts to tackle some of the larger themes the show has been setting up for a while. I legitimately enjoyed the episode when I watched it on air, and I have a feeling most everyone did too. The only change is that the braindead masses ran the 'meme' into the ground, and surprise surprise, now it's fashionable to shit on this particular episode despite the show being immensely popular otherwise. The fact that the writer was a woman just added oil to the incel fire.

As for the writer leaving, if she wasn't being harrassed personally, I can't fathom why you would leave one of the most talked about shows on the planet for some "Fresh Off the Boat" dogshit spinoff. Literally one of the only Adult Swim shows to break into the mainstream fully and you'd walk away? After Adult Swim orders SEVENTY EPISODES?

Awesome career decision m8.
I disagree, Television writers don't make more than 6 figures in Hollywood, ones who work on a cable cartoon undoubtedly make less. The real money is being a creator of a TV Show. If her TV Show lasts for several seasons which is likely because ABC is a godawful comedy network she'll be a multi-millionaire in a few years.

And even if it fails she'll bounce off to other TV Shows because y'know Diversity Hire.

Trombonista

Merger of the Double Posts
Staff Member
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
@darkhorse816 told me that most episodes of TV shows are written by multiple people and credit is just given to one. Dan Harmon is apparently equally responsible for Pickle Rick, which I think was actually a very funny episode.

• Feels
Reactions: darkhorse816

darkhorse816

WOOF!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ok so Pickle Rick is a great episode, it’s not my favorite, but I can see why a lot of people like it. And a bunch of Rick and Morty spergs shouting Pickle Rick can ruin it.

The writer responsible for the second worst Rick and morty meme is leaving! Oh no! Fingers crossed her celestial sitcom isn't as insulting to Asians as Margaret Cho's.
So All American Girl was a clusterfuck. Margaret Cho had no control over it. It’s one of those shows that says “based off of the standup of Margaret Cho” during the credits, but it’s not. I think one of the most fucked up parts was that they thought the Asian cast members weren’t authentic enough so they brought in an Asian consultant to tell them how to act more Asian. Gao’s show sounds interesting, though. I might watch it.

@darkhorse816 told me that most episodes of TV shows are written by multiple people and credit is just given to one. Dan Harmon is apparently equally responsible for Pickle Rick, which I think was actually a very funny episode.
So most TV shows have a writer’s room where they all pitch ideas but the showrunners have full control. They assign writers various episodes so they can focus on the big picture and it makes the process quicker. The showrunners have final say on the writer’s episode. So think of the writers as the babysitters and the showrunners are the parents. So Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon are even more to blame than Gao in case you didn’t like the episode.

The only TV show I can think of that doesn’t use a writer’s room is the venture brothers. It’s just the two creators. It may take a longer time for them to produce the episodes but it works for them, and the show is consistently good.

Trombonista

Merger of the Double Posts
Staff Member
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My sister made a great observation regarding Dr. Wong's speech: Rick doesn't really take in anything from it. Sure, he apologizes to Beth for lying, but then they decide to go out drinking and it's all but stated they're never seeing Dr. Wong again.

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net
Factual and redpilled. I recall seeing a promo video short from Adult Swim(not sure I could find it again but it's out there) where Harmon discussed the making of Season 3 episodes one at a time and it's basically a challenge Dan & Justin gave to each other about "I dare you to turn this fucktarded idea into an actual episode, is it possible?" and it turned out halfway-decent. And the asian chick is absolutely not credited verbally in any way.

Shokew

Trial by Fire! Trial by Fire!
kiwifarms.net
...And yet, I'm still watching this show, while waiting willingly for S4, as much as I should find something better, honestly.

Also, I was OK with this episode everyone seems to have hateboner on the net for, especially knowing S3 had much weaker fare than fucking "Pickle Rick", admittedly.

Moreso, that's admitting I didn't even hate S3 as much as the net does, too. Again, I just acknowledge I've watched better, less memeworthy crap in my downtime than R&M.

Yeah. I'm not seeing what the big deal is anymore. It's just a dumbass cartoon pretending to be smart, and that's what actually makes it funny most of the time.

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino