Roguelikes and Roguelites General - Discussion, recommendations, and suggestions

ChucklesTheJester

Kyubey.
kiwifarms.net
Later died in Mine town fighting the preist (It's Better i don't go into why) But rest assurded that was my best run, and I YASD'ed Big Oof.

thejackal

kiwifarms.net
Surprised Slay the Spire doesn't have its own thread. Great game but for the life of me I can't get into the new character. Guess when I'm ready to torture myself some more I'll try and complete my Silent A20 run, currently on A16. It's gotten to the point with ascension to where if I don't get enough attack cards 2-3 encounters into the run it's pretty much over. And then you have to transition to scaling damage with poison or shivs (good fucking luck) on the 2nd floor after trying to mostly just take attacks for the 1st floor.

Reactions: BSC

ChucklesTheJester

Kyubey.
kiwifarms.net
I want your guys opionions on this.

I can't do shopping anymore I am permently invisble, I've already cleaned out the fort and I am heading to medsua, and or the Quest.

Should I say fuck it and murder the shopkeepers.

ChucklesTheJester

Kyubey.
kiwifarms.net
Screenshot_51.png

This is what I get for testing if a random lamp is magic.
:story:

Help a Bro Valk on Dlvl 4 out ya lazy bum of a djinni. Could be worse

ALSO FUCK YOU GIANT EELS, Killed one twice on good runs.

One at the fort, and one at medsua level.

If I wasn't busy wasting the rare genocide on Lichs,and or mineflayers, I would waste em on you.

Also hope my sperging over nethacks not shitting the thread up. Sorry if it is.

Reactions: fag0t

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1174371

This is what I get for testing if a random lamp is magic.
:story:

Help a Bro Valk on Dlvl 4 out ya lazy bum of a djinni. Could be worse

ALSO FUCK YOU GIANT EELS, Killed one twice on good runs.

One at the fort, and one at medsua level.

If I wasn't busy wasting the rare genocide on Lichs,and or mineflayers, I would waste em on you.

Also hope my sperging over nethacks not shitting the thread up. Sorry if it is.
Always use a blessed on 'h' because fuck dwarves, hobbits and bugbears too. Also you don't want to use two to get master mind flayers also.

Reactions: instythot and fag0t

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Maybe when I am not playing Easyest combo of Valk Dwarve I'll do that. Geno-suicide is not in my plans.
That would be an oops. I've actually done that. And I've done it on an extinctionist run while transformed to a xorn right before ascending. You get a special message if you genocide your own race while shape shifted (just don't turn back).

ChucklesTheJester

Kyubey.
kiwifarms.net
That would be an oops. I've actually done that. And I've done it on an extinctionist run while transformed to a xorn right before ascending. You get a special message if you genocide your own race while shape shifted (just don't turn back).
:story: You crazy man "You Feel dead inside".

ducktales4gameboy

archive what you want to remember
kiwifarms.net
Roguelikes and particularly really difficult/hardcore action RLs are my favorite genre ever. Currently looking for something new to dig into for the impending possible doomer quarantine and/or just standard downtime, has there been anything good since Hades?

Here’s my short thoughts on the stuff I’ve sunken serious time into in the last year:

I’m so sick of Monolith at this point (the dlc is worth it even though it costs the same as the base game) that I’m on loop 9 and have every major achievement save for the fourth floor temple boss and ’reach loop 50’ hell. I wish more games would use the ‘bonus meter’ mechanic where you have a set timeframe to dps as hard as possible while taking as little damage as possible to determine rewards, it’s a great incentive to actually get better at the harder bullet hell patterns.

Hades was great fun too and I hope it gets another couple biomes and maybe some varying routes. The aforementioned bonus meter would be great for the 45-second survival rooms since just running loops around the room is boring and always works.

Slay the spire is also a good time waster and if you burned out on it in the first month or two when it was popular like I did, it’s worth noting that there’s a 4th character now and they’re really stupidly fun (and hard) to play.

One that I haven’t seen mentioned is 60 parsecs. It’s a silly non-action space pseudo-roguelike that’s sort of in the vein of a simplified Frostpunk in terms of playstyle. Runs pretty dry after you figure out the strategies but it’s worth the two bucks it sells for in sales and will give a solid 5-6 hours of playtime.

Silver Chariot

Oi Josuke! I used ZA HANDO to erase our avatars!
kiwifarms.net
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon introduced me to the world of roguelikes, and it got me into Binding of Isaac and Crypt of the Necrodancer

You think these games are relatively easy to program? I feel like indie games love their randomized dungeon segments (i.e. Stardew Valley)

ChucklesTheJester

Kyubey.
kiwifarms.net
Okay guys I'll need your imput on what to wish for.

Here the run down. First time Making it to the castle in nethack (3.4.3 version). So far I have gotten no wishes I have +4 green scale mail and with the rest of my armor My AC is -21. I have only used excalibur so far, and the Artifact hammer got destoryed in a freak Wand of Cancel Bag of holding accident long time go. I also have the amulet from Sokoban and the shield from the statue on the medsua level.

What should I use the wand of wishes to make a wish on?

Also the reason I am useing green scale mail is that the only scales all the dragons I killed would drop.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Okay guys I'll need your imput on what to wish for.

Here the run down. First time Making it to the castle in nethack (3.4.3 version). So far I have gotten no wishes I have +4 green scale mail and with the rest of my armor My AC is -21. I have only used excalibur so far, and the Artifact hammer got destoryed in a freak Wand of Cancel Bag of holding accident long time go. I also have the amulet from Sokoban and the shield from the statue on the medsua level.

What should I use the wand of wishes to make a wish on?

Also the reason I am useing green scale mail is that the only scales all the dragons I killed would drop.
Depends what resistances you have/need.

I usually start with a wish for 2 blessed scrolls of charging. This way you can charge the wand again.

I'd also wish for blessed +2 gray dragon scale mail (it would be silver but you already have reflection).
Blessed rustproof +2 gauntlets of power if you don't already have. <--- very specifically recommended for Valkyrie
Blessed fireproof +2 speed boots.

(A blessed amulet of life saving if you're worried about dying and don't have one.)

In roughly that order.

Save at least one charge for emergencies. Also when it won't take a charge any more, and is out of charges, you can repeatedly z)ap it until you squeeze one more out of it. But save it with at least 1 charge available for emergencies. After that, squeeze the final wish out.

You have a chance of getting higher than +2 if you wish for it but iirc it greatly increases the chance you just get a plain one with no pluses at all. Don't forget fireproof/rustproof/greased. You can get all these (the fooproof by confused reading of scroll of enchant armor or greased by greasing it) but why not get it for free?

Also a general spoiler with some of these recommendations: http://nh.gmuf.com/wish.html

It's for 3.4 but pretty sure it's mostly still good.

ChucklesTheJester

Kyubey.
kiwifarms.net
Depends what resistances you have/need.

I usually start with a wish for 2 blessed scrolls of charging. This way you can charge the wand again.

I'd also wish for blessed +2 gray dragon scale mail (it would be silver but you already have reflection).
Blessed rustproof +2 gauntlets of power if you don't already have. <--- very specifically recommended for Valkyrie
Blessed fireproof +2 speed boots.

(A blessed amulet of life saving if you're worried about dying and don't have one.)

In roughly that order.

Save at least one charge for emergencies. Also when it won't take a charge any more, and is out of charges, you can repeatedly z)ap it until you squeeze one more out of it. But save it with at least 1 charge available for emergencies. After that, squeeze the final wish out.

You have a chance of getting higher than +2 if you wish for it but iirc it greatly increases the chance you just get a plain one with no pluses at all. Don't forget fireproof/rustproof/greased. You can get all these (the fooproof by confused reading of scroll of enchant armor or greased by greasing it) but why not get it for free?

Also a general spoiler with some of these recommendations: http://nh.gmuf.com/wish.html

It's for 3.4 but pretty sure it's mostly still good.
Thanks AnOminous Good thing I name them after you this run. :story:

(edit) Now that I think of it I'm at like 18/89 or somewhere close to max non GoP levels of strength,wouldn't it be better to go for Dex gloves to try to rise my max to hit, or Wish for Blessed enchant armor scrolls to boost my AC even more?

Last edited:

ChucklesTheJester

Kyubey.
kiwifarms.net
Current update. Admodeus is a bitch so I just (hopfully) left him on his floor that teleporting bitch.

ANd I killed Juiblex with the wand of digging engulf tatic.

Reactions: AnOminous

ChucklesTheJester

Kyubey.
kiwifarms.net
Big update on the run.

Made it all the way to valds tower. Found this a lich spawned as peaceful. So I let it live, and named it.
Shame I didn't have any tame monster scrolls to make it a pet.

Screenshot_161.png

Anyway KIlled vlad, KIlled the wizard and I have the amulet right now, and planning to make my way back up. I had a death wand from Orcus but it only had 3 because the fucker kept wasting them by reflecting off my shield. Used all 3 charges on the wizard, 1 from in his tower, and 2 from his respawns.

Question I have is Does sleep wands work on the wizard?

Can he make his grand, DO YOU THINK YOU CAN KILL ME, and I just put him to sleep and softly walk away?

(also small edit. Out of all the Demon Lords/princes. Asmodeus is alive, and Demogorgon was never spawned in, But Yeenoghu was, I killed him. )

Last edited:

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Can he make his grand, DO YOU THINK YOU CAN KILL ME, and I just put him to sleep and softly walk away?
I don't think he's sleep resistant, but I don't think I've ever tried that as a strategy. Be prepared to try something else if it doesn't work. I seem to remember he wakes up pretty easily when he's asleep earlier in the game so maybe he still does.

Tags
None