Roguelikes and Roguelites General - Discussion, recommendations, and suggestions

Rice Is Ready

*MMMMUUAH
kiwifarms.net
I started off with Elona+ and was hooked right away. Until my data got bugged and I didn't feel like retracing my footsteps. Now I'm into Cataclysm. Nice huge open world and unlimited possibilities. And the driving is way better than I thought it would be. I got lucky and found a katana and samurai armor while looting a mansion deep in the woods. The armor is great against zombie bites and my katana finishes them off in 2 or three hits.

Livecorpse

kiwifarms.net
I started off with Elona+ and was hooked right away. Until my data got bugged and I didn't feel like retracing my footsteps. Now I'm into Cataclysm. Nice huge open world and unlimited possibilities. And the driving is way better than I thought it would be. I got lucky and found a katana and samurai armor while looting a mansion deep in the woods. The armor is great against zombie bites and my katana finishes them off in 2 or three hits.
I envy your luck. Every fucking time I loot a mansion it's nothing but huge empty dining rooms, bedrooms, and maybe a kitchen with some alcohol and a couple of cans of beans.

I agree on the driving though. It takes a little getting used to but it's great once you get it down.

• Feels
Reactions: fag0t

ChucklesTheJester

Kyubey.
kiwifarms.net
Still the same run. I have silver dragon scales but not any enchant armors to make it mail.

I have genocided More races then I would like to admit thanks to a lucky polymorph of scrolls into genocide scrolls.

I get to medsua level. and Every step i take the message box is filled with the same message about gemlins.

I look across the water to see this.

Screenshot_162.png

And this is only like Half of them.

I've might have genocided all sea monsters,but I have created another kind of sea monster doing so.

now I know how the Kid in Germlins felt.

So Should I waste my last (Uncursed) scroll of genocide before this turns into a new gemlins movie?

instythot

kiwifarms.net
I just wanna mention powder , it has been ported to almost everything, and is fairly deep but it is quick to pick up and play.
It's also interesting if you are the kind of nerd that looks into the development and code of these things, since it's the only one done in visual basic if memory serves.

Is the current adom sold through steam worth it? Did Thomas finally fix those bugs like uberjackal?

a_lurker

kiwifarms.net
It's also interesting if you are the kind of nerd that looks into the development and code of these things, since it's the only one done in visual basic if memory serves.
it's C++ with a bit of C.

But yes, Jeff Lait (dev of powder) has done a few 7drl. IIRC he did a presentation on something he called bedrock development where the games internal logic and core functions are decoupled from the gui/frontend stuff so that the game is easy to port.

It was originally made for the GBA, so it really can run on just about anything nowadays. Part of the build process runs something called bmp2c which i think converts the bitmaps into c code to lay them out in memory.

Its probably not the most technically amazing code ever, but compared to a lot of stuff nowadays it's the work of a motherfucking wizard.

instythot

kiwifarms.net
it's C++ with a bit of C.

But yes, Jeff Lait (dev of powder) has done a few 7drl. IIRC he did a presentation on something he called bedrock development where the games internal logic and core functions are decoupled from the gui/frontend stuff so that the game is easy to port.

It was originally made for the GBA, so it really can run on just about anything nowadays. Part of the build process runs something called bmp2c which i think converts the bitmaps into c code to lay them out in memory.

Its probably not the most technically amazing code ever, but compared to a lot of stuff nowadays it's the work of a motherfucking wizard.
His 7drl about the kobold den where they do actual defensive tactics was really good. I know there was a vb roguelike, but cannot remember which one then

Takayuki Yagami

Justice is Blind, and Autistic
kiwifarms.net
Hades update is out. Nyx is hot now and she gave you new abilities in the mirror, we got a fist weapon and a new form for the sword, and the new model for boons looks like shit.

Last edited:

ChucklesTheJester

Kyubey.
kiwifarms.net
Here a question for all ya.

Has there ever been a time in Old school roguelikes or any roguelikes where you would want a less rare scroll over the rare ones.

I asked this because I found a time I do.

I Keep getting Scrolls of genocide Blessed or uncursed from polypiling. At this point I am Genociding random letters because I had so many.

You know what non rare scroll I was trying to get. Enchant armor.
:story:

Iichs,Mindflayers,Mimics, Worms, Vampires, Zombies and many more. I've genocided so many races this run I've lost count which ones I havn't.

AND I STILL CAN'T GET A SCROLL OF ENCHANT ARMOR. I have 2 death wands. that is 1 more death wand then I have seen enchant armor scrolls this run, and I hav't even done my quest zone yet.

Book Thievery

Literature Liberator
kiwifarms.net
What version of Elona+ did you start with? Because I've played this game for hundreds upon hundreds of hours, and never occurred such an issue. I have, however, heard of others encountering such issues with certain versions of Elona+, so I could do some investigating for you.

a_lurker

kiwifarms.net
Has there ever been a time in Old school roguelikes or any roguelikes where you would want a less rare scroll over the rare ones.
not exactly old school, but powder has made me value the weirdness factor of an artifact.
for example: the ring of polymorph

if its bad, you turn into a mouse in the middle of fight with a kobold and have to run and hide for a few floors. If you get lucky, you turn into a dragon or some other OP monster on the second or third floor and spend a few floors tearing everything in sight a new asshole.

if it goes weird you can become a lich or some other monster that can do possession so you can hijack a monster and use it it to kill everything or use a digging spell or something to get into a secret, then die as the possessed monster - jump back to the lich body and polymorph back to yourself. It'll fuck up your shit to where you have negative xp so you won't level up for a while, but it makes for a fun playthrough.

some of the special/named artifacts come with buffs, but if you happen to be in the favor of the wrong god it could paint a target on your ass.

Last edited:

Rice Is Ready

*MMMMUUAH
kiwifarms.net
What version of Elona+ did you start with? Because I've played this game for hundreds upon hundreds of hours, and never occurred such an issue. I have, however, heard of others encountering such issues with certain versions of Elona+, so I could do some investigating for you.
I just downloaded the latest experimental build on their wiki I think.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Still the same run. I have silver dragon scales but not any enchant armors to make it mail.

I have genocided More races then I would like to admit thanks to a lucky polymorph of scrolls into genocide scrolls.

I get to medsua level. and Every step i take the message box is filled with the same message about gemlins.

I look across the water to see this.

View attachment 1182832
And this is only like Half of them.

I've might have genocided all sea monsters,but I have created another kind of sea monster doing so.

now I know how the Kid in Germlins felt.

So Should I waste my last (Uncursed) scroll of genocide before this turns into a new gemlins movie?
Unless you can't be hit by them at all might as well. At least if you have any intrinsics that would be really bad to lose. Gargoyles and winged gargoyles wouldn't be bad to kill either although they are pretty low priority.

Iichs,Mindflayers,Mimics, Worms, Vampires, Zombies and many more. I've genocided so many races this run I've lost count which ones I havn't.
I usually keep track. If I hit enough I just go extinctionist.

Book Thievery

Literature Liberator
kiwifarms.net
I just downloaded the latest experimental build on their wiki I think.
Hm, sounds to me like Elona+ version 1.97. Admittedly, I've been slow to update, as my method of doing so involves playing one particular version, then once I beat it, upgrade to a newer version. The latest version I have is Elona+Custom 1.84, and it looks like Custom hasn't been updated since 1.90.4

Based on what I've been searching through on the Discord server, it seems corruption occurs when the game autosaves and there's a power outage. Alternatively, version 1.93 released with some sort of save-file anti-tampering that Ano shortly removed after players found that it was corrupting their save files. One user appears to have recovered their save file, but at a pretty enormous cost:
discord.png
I imagine you try something like that, then use EloSnack (save file editor) to get back what was lost. Alternatively, you could send me your save file, and I could see what could be done. With enough information, I should be able to set you back with roughly the same amount of progress.

• Informative
Reactions: Rice Is Ready

ChucklesTheJester

Kyubey.
kiwifarms.net
In the gnome mines Gnome/dawrf steps into poly trap turns into a arch lich. Thank god they stay peaceful.

Screenshot_161.png
Had to name him after the first peaceful lich

Tags
None