Roosterteeth / Achievement Hunter / Let's Play / Funhaus / Inside Gaming - Do you ever wonder why we're still here? Dick pics and sellouts ahoy.

Chilson

kiwifarms.net
so i'm not a very educated man, does anyone want to explain why Gavin is important?

like this is going to sound like an autistic question, but i'm not autistic, i'm just stupid.

all I've ever heard of Gavin isn't that he's got some innate skill with cinematography or anything like that, all I ever hear is "but he knows how to use a phantom camera, so."

what the fuck is a phantom camera and how is it so complex to use that the fact Gavin can use one makes him valuable?

like again, stupid question, i know. I just never understood how anytime anyone talks about Gavin it isn't "the man has a genius eye for filming" it's always "the man knows how to use a fancy camera".
The phantom camera is an incredibly expensive (100k+) piece of tech for slow motion filming. There are very few of them in existence and even fewer people who can properly use them.

He is not a genius, but Gavin has an incredibly rare and therefore valuable tool and the skill to use it. He has worked on major motion films explicitly for his camera and his ability to use it.

JimiHendrix

The greatest jazz player around.
kiwifarms.net
The phantom camera is an incredibly expensive (100k+) piece of tech for slow motion filming. There are very few of them in existence and even fewer people who can properly use them.

He is not a genius, but Gavin has an incredibly rare and therefore valuable tool and the skill to use it. He has worked on major motion films explicitly for his camera and his ability to use it.

oh i know what he's worked on and i know he's qualified, i just don't understand the how or why.

how did he get such an expensive tool and how did he learn to use it if it's so impossibly complex?

i know i sound like an idiot but it's not like Gavin created the camera, the tool is not unique to him, so why is the fact he's able to use it so valuable, couldn't anyone theoretically learn to use it? i guess it's the fact everyone keeps saying "gavin knows how to do x" as opposed to "Gavin has natural skill at doing x" that's fucking me up.

makes it sound like gavin' found this phantom camera in the fuckin' caves of Agrabah or some shit.

Friendly Primarina

50% more friendly than the average Primarina
kiwifarms.net
oh i know what he's worked on and i know he's qualified, i just don't understand the how or why *snip*
It's probably just a niche set of skills. I imagine it's not that nobody could learn it, but that nobody getting into the industry really does. And those that are just starting out probably can't afford the camera (IIRC the company Gavin worked for let him use their cameras when he was starting out).

Chilson

kiwifarms.net
oh i know what he's worked on and i know he's qualified, i just don't understand the how or why.

how did he get such an expensive tool and how did he learn to use it if it's so impossibly complex?

i know i sound like an idiot but it's not like Gavin created the camera, the tool is not unique to him, so why is the fact he's able to use it so valuable, couldn't anyone theoretically learn to use it? i guess it's the fact everyone keeps saying "gavin knows how to do x" as opposed to "Gavin has natural skill at doing x" that's fucking me up.

makes it sound like gavin' found this phantom camera in the fuckin' caves of Agrabah or some shit.
Gavin worked for a guy in England who owned one and taught him to use it. RT bought Gavin a phantom to work in the US.

They just gave it to him, which was a phenomenally poor financial decision but this was an early RT that actually cared about valuable employees.

Regardless, how many people do you know who have years of experience with a device that's hard to find, incredibly expensive and even harder to find someone who knows how to use it?

No one is hiring some randy to learn how to use a 100k+ tool that can easily break.

JimiHendrix

kiwifarms.net
i forgot that gavin grew up from a relatively wealthy family if i recall.

i'm used to being poor and stupid so the first thing that comes to mind about someone learning how to use an expensive tool is "how did they get this tool to learn it?"

so gavin was taught by an old magic man in his basement to use this extra fancy camera. so he essentially just got lucky with who he met. all right, that answers my shit i suppose.

how many people do you know who have years of experience with a device that's hard to find, incredibly expensive and even harder to find someone who knows how to use it?
everyone i know who is successful just programs, which is a skill that is widely available and anyone can learn. i've never really encountered the concept of "this skill is extremely difficult to find because the opportunity to learn it is rare" but apparently gavin met an ancient old man to help with that.

DimitryPidarBlyat

kiwifarms.net
so i'm not a very educated man, does anyone want to explain why Gavin is important?

like this is going to sound like an autistic question, but i'm not autistic, i'm just stupid.

all I've ever heard of Gavin isn't that he's got some innate skill with cinematography or anything like that, all I ever hear is "but he knows how to use a phantom camera, so."

what the fuck is a phantom camera and how is it so complex to use that the fact Gavin can use one makes him valuable?

like again, stupid question, i know. I just never understood how anytime anyone talks about Gavin it isn't "the man has a genius eye for filming" it's always "the man knows how to use a fancy camera".
So, Phantoms are super expensive cameras (like, $100k+) that film in slow-motion basically. They achieve that by taking thousands of pictures per second, and when played back at normal speed (25 FPS for example) the footage that was filmed moves very slow, allowing us to see things that we simply couldn't with the naked eye (eg. skin rippling after being slapped in the face, a bullet leaving the barrel of a gun, a baloon popping etc.). That is a very bare-bones explenation of how high-speed cameras work.

Gavin does have a good sense for cinematography, or else he wouldn't have worked on films like Hot Fuzz, Dredd, Sherlock Holmes etc. Operating the Phantom is complex simply because it's a constant game of "what settings should I choose for this shot". Things like frame-rate, aperture, shutter angle/speed, can change how a shot looks. I could sit here and explain how all those things work together to make it hard for a high-speed camera operator to do their job, but I think it's better if I let Gavin himself do it for me. He made a pretty good video explaing the challenges he faces when he films his videos.
apparently gavin met an ancient old man to help with that.
He just got lucky with who he met and managed to make a career out of it. So yeah, not every rando can just buy a 100k+ camera and start offering their services to Hollywood and shit

kiwifarms.net
To get an idea of the type of lifestyle Gavin grew up in, he appeared in a Skype commercial as a pre-teen/teenager

Too bad the call wasn't in this version of Gavin's room.
Screenshot_20211203-132746_(1).png

DimitryPidarBlyat

kiwifarms.net
To get an idea of the type of lifestyle Gavin grew up in, he appeared in a Skype commercial as a pre-teen/teenager

Too bad the call wasn't in this version of Gavin's room. View attachment 2770985
The room in the commercial looks like the garage that used to be his bedroom. That's where he started the Slow-Mo Guys

Pizdec

Blin it is good.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Long story short, the Phantom camera allows for thousands of frames (between 2000 and up to 150k frames a second) to be filmed. Gavin has had prior filming experience he mentioned (the top of my head, he said his worst filming gig was an F1 race in which the rain was just downright pouring on him with no end).

So between his prior filming and learning the in and outs of the phantom, he garnered Hollywood's attention, and got to film slow motion scenes for a Sherlock Holmes film. That experience could still land him a gig anywhere else, thus we kind of praise Gavin for having something else to do beyond playing vidya.

Edit: yeah I'm late, but you get the point. The man has something else to fall back on, Michael can maybe do more VA work, Gus could easily be a manager elsewhere, and virtually everyone else is fucked.

JimiHendrix

kiwifarms.net
thus we kind of praise Gavin for having something else to do beyond playing vidya.

i understand the praise, i just didn't understand the whole "this is a unique camera only gavin can use for reasons"

explanation seems to be he got lucky when he was young and met someone with said rare camera and learned how to use it from there then got even luckier and the company he worked for just fucking gave him one to keep. so now he can just do whatever.

NanoSpiderCatcher

kiwifarms.net
Minecraft 500 is find the tower. Nothing new or inventive.
Only 5mins in and they did a clip show that wasn't even the best clips from the episodes they used. They just didn't have Ryan's voice in them 😁

Geoff: did you have any idea that when you were 13 that your life would go so poorly....
Ky (interrupting Geoff): ill be honest I didn't watch y'all when I was 13.
They all laugh ha ha ha

Ky didn't watch them right up to the moment she started work there.

Let's see how this episode goes. Can they fuck up a simple concept as find the tower.
Quick edit. All they have to do is find it and the game is over. So no battles to kill the person who gets to the tower first. So they did fuck it up.

Last edited:

Whaler

kiwifarms.net
He can be a prick, but he's still someone who by the end of the day manages to get his shit done, and doesn't have to pander to the lowest common denominator to make ends meet or seem likeable. Plus, unlike the rest of RT, he's free to go about where he pleases, so if the US finally shits itself he can leave for less shitty pastures and apply his slow-mo filming skills and knowledge of the hard/software to a lot of things beyond filming.

Meanwhile, it feels like a majority of RoosterTeeth are like Ethan Ralph, someone who, regardless of what they do, cannot take the L, but in RoosteTeeth's case, it feels like they're doing whatever it takes to not get canceled. They can see it over the horizon, and they're desperately trying to outrun it. They're throwing as much minority hires and tight lips at it to keep it away, and I cannot wait until it all falls apart.
I don't watch their content anymore, and I haven't for awhile, but I must say I'm literally interested in what happens when the shell cracks and the Demons start flying out. There's got to be a bunch of dirt that RT has covered up considering even their fanbase calls them out for sweeping everything rug and not talking about it. I want to see who's going to start stabbing who first and see who did what as the remaining public faces of RT try to scramble and call out as much shit as they can to keep whatever semblance of fame they have.

NanoSpiderCatcher

kiwifarms.net
The first two comments pretty much sum up the rest of the comment section. That Rhys is a big defender of Kys. I think he's sitting there waiting for someone to say something so he can comment.
I'm done with AH. Very poor quality videos and staff.
I'll go back to see what they do for the 10th anniversary of Minecraft and probably be disappointed then 😂

Screenshot_20211203_190231_com.google.android.youtube_edit_857843019007643.jpg

batigol

kiwifarms.net
Jeremy Dooley (with one foot out the door) seems to be the only RT "personality" who formulated and exit plan and then started putting it into effect, by building up his own independently successful twitch stream and merchandise store, then putting several thousand miles between himself and Austin.

Most of the rest of them are buggered. If it all collapses they'll be fighting to get 500 viewers on Twitch and hoping they can scrape together enough from subs and donations to pay the bills.

i understand the praise, i just didn't understand the whole "this is a unique camera only gavin can use for reasons"

explanation seems to be he got lucky when he was young and met someone with said rare camera and learned how to use it from there then got even luckier and the company he worked for just fucking gave him one to keep. so now he can just do whatever.

Pretty much. It's one of those things where the only way to learn how to do it is through an apprenticeship, and Gavin happened to live in the same village as and know a guy who could offer exactly that.

You still need to have the ability and work ethic to make the apprenticeship succeed, but assuming you do that then it's a niche skill with a robust demand (and not just cinema, plenty of industrial and scientific applications for high speed cameras).

bigoogabaloogas

just your average filthy weeb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The first two comments pretty much sum up the rest of the comment section. That Rhys is a big defender of Kys. I think he's sitting there waiting for someone to say something so he can comment.
I'm done with AH. Very poor quality videos and staff.
I'll go back to see what they do for the 10th anniversary of Minecraft and probably be disappointed then 😂

View attachment 2771172
jesus christ, i don't know what's more pathetic, the people defending kay, or the people who treat ryan as some sort of ghost who will kill you if you say his name.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
S
Minecraft 500 is find the tower. Nothing new or inventive.
Only 5mins in and they did a clip show that wasn't even the best clips from the episodes they used. They just didn't have Ryan's voice in them 😁

Geoff: did you have any idea that when you were 13 that your life would go so poorly....
Ky (interrupting Geoff): ill be honest I didn't watch y'all when I was 13.
They all laugh ha ha ha

Ky didn't watch them right up to the moment she started work there.

Let's see how this episode goes. Can they fuck up a simple concept as find the tower.
Quick edit. All they have to do is find it and the game is over. So no battles to kill the person who gets to the tower first. So they did fuck it up.
i want to watch because Geoff, but it sounds like Ky just keeps talking over him.

DimitryPidarBlyat

kiwifarms.net

They didn't give him one to keep lmao, he just borrowed it when they weren't using it. I see it more as a show of his networking skills. He just talked to the right people and had opportunities that others rarely come across. Regardless of if it's luck or networking, he's the only one in RT with a skill that is in high demand, and an already established brand separate from RT.

Sup3r

kiwifarms.net
It's more that of all of the on screen personalities at RT (and especially of the old ones) Gavin is one of the only people still there who has skills outside of being a sperg in front of a camera. Once the floor falls out under them, most of them will have no real skills to help them land another job that will pay them like they are now.

JimiHendrix

kiwifarms.net
It's more that of all of the on screen personalities at RT (and especially of the old ones) Gavin is one of the only people still there who has skills outside of being a sperg in front of a camera. Once the floor falls out under them, most of them will have no real skills to help them land another job that will pay them like they are now.
ya, i understand gavin had the skill, i just didn't understand the how or why he had it.

Sharyn

kiwifarms.net
Pretty off topic but since Yogscast is being mentioned, Sjin started uploading videos to Youtube again after 2 years of silence. Seems he's gone the route of just completely ignoring what happened.
I know someone personally that Sjin used to hit up. She thought they were just friends at first until he kept trying to bang her at conventions no matter how many times she said no. Not the most offensive thing in the world but he was probably hitting up tons of fans for the same thing. Wish I had the screenshots that she had sent me

I'm not 100% sure but she might have been under 18 when they met the first time too