Roosterteeth / Achievement Hunter / Let's Play / Funhaus / Inside Gaming - Do you ever wonder why we're still here? Dick pics and sellouts ahoy.

IneptRobot

Would you like to sign my petition?
So I finally decided to crawl out from beneath the rock I was dwelling under and watch Red vs. Blue. I'm really getting a kick out of it so far, but from what I've seen in the thread it seems like the show really takes a nosedive in quality in the later seasons. In your opinions, where should I leave off at?
Season 5, before all the CGI shit and the attempt at a "real story" which was basically a blow by blow retelling of Burnies divorce with some poorly acted and animated segments featuring less inspired GI Joe characters.

stuffandthings

Inflammatory Metacommentary
I thought the Chorus trilogy wasn't that bad, but Season 13 is really where it went downhill. For some reason, Miles was insistent on packing as much shit as he could into that season and then doing season 14 as an anthology, rather than splitting the story between two seasons. I remember this interview, maybe on one of the podcasts, where he was patting himself on the back for the ending because they so perfectly foreshadowed Church's death, and it was so poignant. Ignoring the fact that Church leaving/getting killed off is how every arc ends. And aside from a few hints, Miles spent more time on pointless side stories like Shark Face to do such a story properly. Hell, for Miles' entire run, Church was a side character who got way less screen time than before.

When season 14 came around, I ended up waiting until everything was released rather than watching it on the day it came out like I had been doing since 2006, and thought it was meh. Then 15 came out and I decided to do the same thing, except I procrastinated to the point where it took me six months to finally get around it. It was... okay, I guess, but felt really weak compared to before. And then 16 came out and I still haven't watched it. Not planning to.

So yeah, I'd say go with what everyone has said and just watch the first ten. If you're really into it and want more, give Chorus a shot, but temper your expectations.
I second this. Season 10 is a fine enough stopping off place if you want, but the Chorus trilogy is alright, with Season 11 probably being the best out of the bunch since it focuses almost completely on the Blood Gulch guys. 12 and 13 Miles started getting extra uphisownass and focused more on his precious new characters, but the trilogy rounds off okay.

I was super into the Chorus Trilogy when it first came out, but they really dropped the ball on the follow up. I watched the weird anthology season, but it was pretty meh, though the episode done in minibricks was cute. When I learned that season 15 had a weird time skip, new characters, and didn't really show how they got out the Bolivian Army ending of Season 13, I lost any interest in pursuing it. When I learned Joel had left, that was the real nail in coffin keeping me from ever wanting to go back and catch up.

Most Dumbest Bitch

[LGBT] Leader of Antifa
Lol, everything from Season 15 has nothing to do with Halo. Season 15 has some stupid time travel stuff that makes no sense at all and isn't funny.

That's season 16, and that's why I said there's an immediate drop off in quality after Season 15. S15 does not have any real time travel in it, but there IS a time skip in the beginning. What you're thinking of is probably the time portal they open to when Church was alive in Blood Gulch that comes out of nowhere in the last episode. Normally I would've reviled that, but it was a really short scene and ended up leading to one of the most genuinely emotional scenes since Burnie stopped writing. It was dumb, yes, but I think it provided a bit of closure that was desperately needed. Plus, if you can believe it, the time travel stuff gets much, MUCH worse in S16.

I thought the Chorus trilogy wasn't that bad, but Season 13 is really where it went downhill. For some reason, Miles was insistent on packing as much shit as he could into that season and then doing season 14 as an anthology, rather than splitting the story between two seasons.

S11 wasn't horrible, I actually liked the backdrop of Chorus and I think that Miles must've had some guidance from Burnie in that season, because it's the only one where I felt like he really understood the characters, and I just LOVED the dynamic between Wash and Tucker and how much Tucker really missed Church. Still a criminally small amount of development for the Reds, though; it's pretty clear that Tucker and Wash were Miles's favorites, given how focal they became.

S12 and S13 were both horrid, in my opinion, but again I do think there were some small bits of good content in there. It's mostly in the character interactions between the Reds and Blues; the actual plotline was utter nonsense.

When season 14 came around, I ended up waiting until everything was released rather than watching it on the day it came out like I had been doing since 2006, and thought it was meh. Then 15 came out and I decided to do the same thing, except I procrastinated to the point where it took me six months to finally get around it. It was... okay, I guess, but felt really weak compared to before.

I actually didn't and still don't hate the concept of an anthology season; it was very spotty in terms of quality, but some of them were actually quite enjoyable. What I hated was where they put it - after a massive fucking cliffhanger that they NEVER EXPLAINED. If anything, S14 should've been a continuation and RVB Zero could have been an anthology; THAT would've made sense, and I also think would've improved the transition to S15 quite a bit.

Like I said about S15, it's highly dependent on what you think of introducing new central characters and which original characters you like. If you're a fan of the Blues or just not a fan of Grif (and Simmons, kind of), the season is probably not going to be your favorite. If you don't like random new characters having central roles, it's DEFINITELY not going to be your favorite. Personally, I can take or leave newer characters as long as they're not transparently self-indulgent (read: Felix, aka Miles' Original Character Do Not Steal), and the new characters in S15 weren't all that bad and I actually found the story with them somewhat interesting, although it's still nowhere near the quality of Burnie's original run.

Your NSA Handler

Glowing. Watching. Laughing.
When they leave Blood Gulch and RvB stopped being a sitcom.
It's optional. I think at the very least you can give seasons 6-8 a shot. It's still largely based around the main cast, the story isn't too convoluted/contrived, and there's some quality serious writing - but beyond that, it's still funny.

Also it doesn't look like shit because they used a Halo made by competent developers.

IneptRobot

Would you like to sign my petition?
It's been out for a week and hasn't even broken 100k yet. This is supposed to be a big series, the original Ten Little Roosters was massive in the community.
1610709210986.png

Last edited:

Most Dumbest Bitch

[LGBT] Leader of Antifa
It's been out for a week and hasn't even broken 100k yet. This is supposed to be a big series, the original Ten Little Roosters was massive in the community.
View attachment 1848906

I didn't watch the original Ten Little Roosters and certainly didn't plan to watch this one, but woof, that's depressing. It's a sharp contrast to the original Ten Little Roosters, which has 1.6M views and almost certainly surpassed 100k views in less than a week when it was first released.

How much of this is because of the Ryan/Adam scandal, and how much is due to falling quality standards at RT? Part of the reason could be that the rest of Dead Little Roosters is paywalled, so most people aren't going to bother watching the first episode only to have to pay to see the rest. Paywalls are killing this company for sure, but I actually do think Nudesgate has contributed a lot more to this issue than it would initially seem. A cursory glance at their content shows that most of their videos post-scandal have been sub-100k views, with the exception of the RTAAs which still manage to regularly hover around 150k-250k views:

1610728938628.png

But scrolling back before the story broke, I see that their videos have a noticeably and consistently higher view count- the RTAAs there are hovering around 300k-500k views, and though quite a few of the live-action videos are still sub-100k, there are many more that go over 100k in comparison to the most recent videos:

1610729274544.png

(Notice Adam sneaking in on the far left column, middle row?)

All in all, there's a clear downward trend happening for RT in terms of viewership, and I think it's a combination of dealing with PR scandal after PR scandal after MASSIVE PR scandal, and the fact that they keep putting everything behind a paywall in order to generate more revenue, thus isolating a significant chunk of their viewers - those who DON'T pay for RT First - in the process. I don't know who at RT is fucking this up, whether it's the result of Warner Media meddling or in-house stupidity, but in any case it's almost morbidly fascinating watching a company that made it in early to such a profitable niche completely run itself into the ground like this.

Wingnut

WARNING: Tighten all bolts to the end
I didn't watch the original Ten Little Roosters and certainly didn't plan to watch this one, but woof, that's depressing. It's a sharp contrast to the original Ten Little Roosters, which has 1.6M views and almost certainly surpassed 100k views in less than a week when it was first released.

How much of this is because of the Ryan/Adam scandal, and how much is due to falling quality standards at RT? Part of the reason could be that the rest of Dead Little Roosters is paywalled, so most people aren't going to bother watching the first episode only to have to pay to see the rest. Paywalls are killing this company for sure, but I actually do think Nudesgate has contributed a lot more to this issue than it would initially seem. A cursory glance at their content shows that most of their videos post-scandal have been sub-100k views, with the exception of the RTAAs which still manage to regularly hover around 150k-250k views:

View attachment 1849255

But scrolling back before the story broke, I see that their videos have a noticeably and consistently higher view count- the RTAAs there are hovering around 300k-500k views, and though quite a few of the live-action videos are still sub-100k, there are many more that go over 100k in comparison to the most recent videos:

View attachment 1849263
(Notice Adam sneaking in on the far left column, middle row?)

All in all, there's a clear downward trend happening for RT in terms of viewership, and I think it's a combination of dealing with PR scandal after PR scandal after MASSIVE PR scandal, and the fact that they keep putting everything behind a paywall in order to generate more revenue, thus isolating a significant chunk of their viewers - those who DON'T pay for RT First - in the process. I don't know who at RT is fucking this up, whether it's the result of Warner Media meddling or in-house stupidity, but in any case it's almost morbidly fascinating watching a company that made it in early to such a profitable niche completely run itself into the ground like this.
Damn, they can't even break 100k views on a week old Among Us video, that's pretty pathetic considering how popular it is right now.

Hugbox Kommissar

You wouldn't download an ideology
All their recent videos feel very same-y. Regardless of the game, the videos are just five or six people running around doing goofy voices and overreacting to game mechanics (which they have no grasp of unless they've been pounded into their heads through sheer repetition like with TTT) for forty minutes. I actually miss their Destiny raids videos because they actually had to pay attention and work as a team and it was fun to watch them struggle and overcome.

All their recent videos feel very same-y. Regardless of the game, the videos are just five or six people running around doing goofy voices and overreacting to game mechanics (which they have no grasp of unless they've been pounded into their heads through sheer repetition like with TTT) for forty minutes. I actually miss their Destiny raids videos because they actually had to pay attention and work as a team and it was fun to watch them struggle and overcome.
They're stuck in a PS3/Xbox 360 state of mind. WHy do you think the biggest hitters are Minecraft and GTA5?

So I finally decided to crawl out from beneath the rock I was dwelling under and watch Red vs. Blue. I'm really getting a kick out of it so far, but from what I've seen in the thread it seems like the show really takes a nosedive in quality in the later seasons. In your opinions, where should I leave off at?
I'd say you're good after Season 13 but if you find yourself not having fun after 5, 8 or 10 they're solid endings as well.

DC April 2021 solicitations and covers revealed | GamesRadar+

DC April 2021 solicitations and covers revealed | GamesRadar+ (archive.vn)

And speaking of the Justice League, they'll crossover with the characters of the hit Rooster Teeth anime RWBY in a new limited series titled RWBY/Justice League from writer Marguerite Bennett and artist Aneke, which introduces versions of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman who dwell in the world of RWBY, which is known as The Remnant.

The DC Universe and the world of RWBY collide in this new miniseries! Discover the Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, and Diana Prince of Remnant as Team RWBY comes face to face with new versions of DC's paragons of justice. A new Grimm is running rampant around the island of Patch, and Ruby and Yang must team up with a young farm boy to stop it! Meanwhile, Blake meets a mysterious woman who's appeared on Menagerie, but what is her purpose? And why does she act like she hasn't been around modern society?

Rooster Teeth hit RWBY crossing over with the Justice League | GamesRadar+

Rooster Teeth hit RWBY crossing over with the Justice League | GamesRadar+ (archive.vn)

It's the feedback loop that happens when things go behind a paywall. Because the people paying generate more income than ad impressions the company starts catering towards those who are paying, and the free content suffers as a result (e.g. all the YouTube videos being censored).

As the audience gets smaller you need to squeeze more money out of those paying, which causes more people to leave, which causes you to squeeze more money out of those left, etc. This happens until you have a small audience of people paying far too much money for content that appeals only to them. Both the audience and the company end up held hostage to each other until, at some hard to predict point, the enterprise collapses.

Your NSA Handler

Glowing. Watching. Laughing.
It's also a consequence of the fact there's essentially no main cast anymore. You have a couple new people (Fiona, Alfredo) plus a couple old people (Jack, Michael, Jeremy, or occasionally Geoff and Gavin) just fucking around in a game until it's over. Even when they had new people, the main cast was in so many videos that it always felt cohesive. Coincidentally, this is why Ten Little Roosters was popular. It was all the main cast members from the various well-received parts of RT coming together to do some silly shit. People wanted to watch it. But with this new series... what's the draw? Even having been a pretty avid viewer up to about 9 months ago, I don't recognize half the people, and I dislike most of the rest of them.

Ray's gone. Ryan's gone. Geoff is having a mid-life crisis every 20 minutes and disappears constantly. Then everyone else is mixed with these cast members which only gel in the most rudimentary of ways. It's like I'm watching an X-Files season where Mulder's gone and Scully appears on a phonecall for five minutes. Why the fuck would I tune in?