RPGnet Forums -

Wallace

Cram it in me, baby!
kiwifarms.net
So someone goes full “Make games, Fight Capitalism” And then they defend the prices that they charge for because they’re a small team. That is the most ringing defense of capitalism that I can think of.

It’s almost like you need a return on the investment of resources that you put into something. And to do that, you need to rationally price it so that you can return that investment yet find a market willing to pay that price despite the content of that game specifically railing against this system.

In fact... it’s almost as if capitalism isn’t a system but the aggregate actions of people freely engaged in the trade of goods in order to maximize profit on said investments...

It's even funnier when you see the system actually working. Sex pest David Hill started his own company to self-publish his own r/LateStageCapitalism: the RPG, the hardback selling for $69 (nice). He actually wrote that on the book's spine. Now he's looking into buying a house and getting out of California.

I guess my point is that losers need SocJus/anti-capitalism as a way to make all of their losses someone else's fault. You can't win because the deck is stacked against you because racism/misogyny/transphobia/capitalism.

Tactical Wizard

Explosiomancer
kiwifarms.net
It's even funnier when you see the system actually working. Sex pest David Hill started his own company to self-publish his own r/LateStageCapitalism: the RPG, the hardback selling for $69 (nice). He actually wrote that on the book's spine. Now he's looking into buying a house and getting out of California.

I guess my point is that losers need SocJus/anti-capitalism as a way to make all of their losses someone else's fault. You can't win because the deck is stacked against you because racism/misogyny/transphobia/capitalism.
ITT: RPG.net discovers microeconomics and price theory.

Jet Fuel Johnny

Full Metal Sperg
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wow, a cyberpunk setting that hates capitalism? How original!

Where's my cyberpunk setting that's about how governments grow out of control beyond their intended purpose and give special privileges to their cronies?
I wonder if the next visionairies will create some kind of artificial enhancement to characters and some sort of interconnected network of computers that can be used to communicate data across large distances that is somehow global?

Moral Decay

Singing to the empty 曼荼羅 lalalala…
kiwifarms.net
It's really funny to me how so many people get far enough to grasp the idea "if unchecked, people will be greedy self-centered assholes" but miss how that works in favor of capitalistic-leaning systems and against outright communism (especially autocratic or anarchist communism). I wish it were just ignorance but I know better.

Also I'd love some "cyber anti-punk" tbh. A protagonist who works for a middling wage at a mostly automated MegaCorp forced to survive anarcho-terrorist attacks on a daily basis. The CEO exploits children on the other side of the world to make the shitty fashion the terrorists wear, but the company also funds scientific research and donates millions to charity so they don't have to pay taxes. The terrorists are "fighting for the oppressed," but they're upper middle class waging warfare with the same products the MegaCorp built. Actual poor people die in the crossfire but neither side actually cares.

Dante Alighieri

“Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Also I'd love some "cyber anti-punk" tbh. A protagonist who works for a middling wage at a mostly automated MegaCorp forced to survive anarcho-terrorist attacks on a daily basis. The CEO exploits children on the other side of the world to make the shitty fashion the terrorists wear, but the company also funds scientific research and donates millions to charity so they don't have to pay taxes. The terrorists are "fighting for the oppressed," but they're upper middle class waging warfare with the same products the MegaCorp built. Actual poor people die in the crossfire but neither side actually cares.
That's just 2020

Who...

kiwifarms.net
You're expecting these people to be way more creative than they actually are.

Loose Goose

kiwifarms.net
PDF pricing and capitalism-bashing aside, this seems to be Tranny Validation: The RPG. Looking at the credits list is by itself a game of Spot the Troon. It uses cyberware as an unsubtle trooning out analogy, exactly in the way a pack of men in dresses would imagine it. There can be no questions or even doubts about the benefits of pushing your body through cybernetics. Of course there is no cyberpsychosis. After all, who has heard of a psychotic transsexual? :story: And guess what the game's range of "acceptable opinions" will be about capitalism. CP2020 was everything but subtle (and that's not why we love it), but this game? Fuck, playing it wrong or just discussing it without the correct attitude will get you banned!

Emperor Julian

kiwifarms.net
Their's a distinction between engaging in the system because you have no choice and tactitly advocating for it, £30 for a pdf is an excessive amount. Especially for a consoomer product.

MembersSchoolPizza

Sworn Brother of the Cult of Browning
kiwifarms.net
It's really funny to me how so many people get far enough to grasp the idea "if unchecked, people will be greedy self-centered assholes" but miss how that works in favor of capitalistic-leaning systems and against outright communism (especially autocratic or anarchist communism). I wish it were just ignorance but I know better.

I would actually say that a number of Cyberpunk RPGs post-Cyberpunk itself have been fairly open about the fact that the whole "punk" element is a tiny percentage of the population. Shadowrun, for example? Most people are happy, content people, when a Shadowrunner isn't wrecking their shit for their own ends. Yeah, they might get called "wage slaves", and the book is full of Shadowtalk characters mocking them, but... They have stability, health, luxury, and (mostly) liberty.

"Citizens" of Aztechnology or the Tir aside. Sucks to be them.

SITHRAK!

ESL teenager spouting gibberish and angry words.
kiwifarms.net
Get the fuck on Kickstarter NOW.