Let's Sperg Rule the Waves II: Kiwis at Sea - From Pre Dreadnoughts to the Missile Age, Something is Always Bloody Wrong With Your Ships Today

Which nation should I do a 1900 to 1955 playthrough as?

• 'MURRICA (America)

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Britbongs (Great Britain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Frogs (France)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tirpitz Did Nothing Wrong (Germany)

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Spaghetti (Italy)

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Vatniks (Russia)

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Who? (Austria-Hungary)

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Weebs (Japan)

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Techpriest

Praise the Machine Spirits
kiwifarms.net

I like big boats and I cannot lie. This is a game about the biggest of those big boats, and the 50 years that upended naval warfare forever. It's a big subject, and a big topic, so I'll try to keep things at least somewhat brief here in this first post. There's a lot of stuff here, so I'll go over it quickly.

Firstly, there's actually a demo for this game you can download here, if you're curious to try this game out and don't want to drop any money on it. Secondly, the graphics aren't the best, but everything from weather to night day cycles and the curvature of the earth is simulated, and there's some in depth and rather impressive armor penetration simulation and calculations going on. The real fun in this game is designing little pixel boats and watching them slug it out with other pixel boats - and then almost pulling your hair out in frustration when ten minutes of real life time, three years of in game time and millions of simulated currency spent building your newest best ship with the best armor and guns possible goes down the drain when in its first engagement, it takes two torpedoes, flounders about impotently, then has a flash fire blow it to bits three minutes later. Ship design is detailed, and just like real history your newest designs are likely going to be obsolete half way through building them.

Anyway, let's look at your options for the particular hell you'll be putting me through. I'll be running with the historical budgets too, as that's more entertaining to me. Click the spoilers for more info.

AMERICA, FUCK YEAH:

In the 1900's, the American navy was starting a build up that would eventually make it the largest and most powerful in the world by the mid 1950's. Historically, Theodore Roosevelt would kick start this development in 1901. The territory taken from Spain in 1898 was spread out across the Pacific and the Caribbean. To defend this, project power, and enforce the Monroe doctrine, Teddy took the US Navy and turned it from the sixth largest (with a good amount of outdated ships and no real battle line) to a modern force only smaller than the British. America starts with oil (that tool tip is wrong), has a bonus to researching the superimposed turrets the US went with rather than adopting the wing style that the brits and almost everyone else did for their early dreds, starts with a respectable 14k tonnage limit, and will develop a budget that can rival or exceed GB's within a decade or two. they also start with standard, but not terrible guns. All in all they're likely the easiest nation to play.

The Bongs:

This is the era where Britain ruled the waves. Great Britain has a very large budget, researches very fast, starts with the largest docks in the game at 16,000 tons, and can build ships very very fast. They start with access to the biggest and best quality naval cannons you can get, and innovate heavily on ship designs. There are catches though. They share their home area with three other naval powers, two of which can grow to rival them quickly. Great Britain also has colonies all over the planet, and has to station more ships per area to satisfy foreign tonnage requirements for their colonies. Then there's the hidden flaws. See, part of the issue with rapidly innovating and being first adopters of technologies means you have to work out the kinks. Your ships have a higher chance to not meet their design specs, either being overweight, slower, or suffering engine and reliability issues. In the worst case, they tend to be prone to blowing up if someone smacks a turret with a big enough gun.

Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys:

The designs that France came up with in this time period were some of the most interesting and pants on head exceptional you can think of. The Charles Martel predred had 12 inch guns, two of them in single gun turrets, and in a sponson on each side of the ship had an 11 inch gun. Why? Fuck if I know, but the french built five of the class, and they're ugly as sin. Then there's the Surcouf, a submarine they plopped a fucking heavy cruiser turret on, partly because the naval treaties of the time didn't say they couldn't do that... until after they made the thing. France has a nice little empire, with holdings across the world only exceeded by the British. They start with the same sized docks as the british, and only slightly worse guns. However, they've got to deal with being France. French naval theory and funding swung wildly in different directions in this era, and that's reflected in both your starting budget and the random swings of funding you'll experience in the game. But hey, at least you've got quad turret bonuses (which won't apply until around 1915 at least) and good AP shells!

Sour Krauts:

Poor Wilhelm II. All he wanted was a big navy and for people to be in awe of him. Being a cripple and the head of one of the biggest nations in Europe would put a chip on anyone's shoulder. The Anglo-German naval arms race would result in some interesting designs, the introduction of submarines into modern warfare, and the largest battleship on battleship engagement in history with the Battle of Jutland. Germany starts with a budget around that of France's, but with far less territory to manage and a research boost in a variety of things. Cross deck fire allows you to put 4 turret broadsides out without needing extra centerline turrets. AP projectiles is a good thing to have bonuses in, and you'll have tough ships. Krupp steel was the standard for warship construction for decades. The main issue is that while your overseas empire is small, it's spread out and not well developed. Japan will eventually want your Chinese ports and Pacific Islands, and your African holdings will bring conflict with Italy, France, and Great Britain. Germany also shares a home region with three other naval powers, just like France and Britain. And with the Kaiser running his mouth, tensions rise quickly if you're not capable. Germany also has a rather weak selection of guns at the start, lacking 12 inchers or 10 inchers for their starting battleships, and instead having to make do with 11 or 9 inchers.

Pasta La Vista:

Italy is the newest european kid on the block, having not formed until 1871, and out of a secondary power backed by the French. Sure, Germany is a young nation too, but even finally united, Italy is still divided. Most of the population is poor, rural, uneducated, and unhappy. Plenty of people wanted a full on republic, not a constitutional monarchy. The entire country is poor, outside of a few northern cities, and the budget reflects that. Italy has also been humiliated when it comes to the colonial game. They only got Libya because nobody wanted it, and their only holding outside of the Mediterranean, Eritrea, is on the other side of the british controlled Suez. Oh, they also lost a war against Ethiopia only a few decades ago. The only person in the Mediterranean they can really hope to fight fairly in this game is the Austro-Hungarians. Corruption steals a bunch of the budget too, slows down ship construction, and makes life difficult. The poor education makes training and research slower. Really, the only good thing they've got going for them is the Mediterranean - you can skimp on a lot of aspects of ship design in the calmer waters there. 15k tons of dock to work with at the start is also very nice, as is access to 12 inch guns.

Cyka Blyat:

Here's the thing about the Russians: at least they have a budget. Outside of that, they've got some oil, 12 inch guns, and an average tonnage in terms of docks. That's where the good news ends and the bad news starts. You're uneducated, which sucks. The real giant problem is the underdeveloped shipbuilding industry. For a nation that needs sizable fleets in two separate sections of the world that take months to travel between, Russia has problems building that fleet. As much as the Italians suck, Russia has bigger and worse issues. They're easier to blockade, for one thing. They share Northern Europe with the three real big boys of that region, and none of them particularly like you. You can't skimp on ship design for your capital ships as your navy needs to be able to travel halfway across the globe as needed to beat the crap out of the japanese. Then there's the stability issues. Historically the Imperial Russian navy of this era was an absolute shitshow. The Russo-Japanese war pretty much wiped out their naval power for generations, as the subsequent world war and revolution absolutely shit on the Navy, and resources couldn't be spared to large warship construction.

The Von Trapp Family Battleships:
You forgot they had A navy didn't you?

Austria-Hungary was one of the real small time participants in the dreadnought races. Sure, they built them and had a navy, the main problem was they really didn't have much room to use it. The Adriatic Sea is where most of the fighting is going to be, and they have absolutely zero holdings outside of the mediterranean region. Still, the k.u.k. (yes really that's what they called it) Kriegsmarine was able to do some real damage to the Italians during the first World War while working on a shoestring budget and perpetually bottled up inside of the Adriatic Sea. In game you've got a limited selection of guns, but still better than the Germans at the start, the smallest dock size in Europe, and a tiny budget. Unlike the Russians though, you can exploit the shit out of the fact almost all your fighting is going to be close to home in calm waters. Unlike the Italians, you don't have a bunch of negatives holding you back until later in the game. Really, Austria-Hungary is all about the challenge of doing the best you can with very little - any loss is going to be hard to replace or come back from.

Glorious Nippon:

Japan is the most unlikely nation in this era to become a great naval power. Everyone underestimated them until 1905 when they absolutely kicked the Russian's teeth in and proved that despite not being European, they could stand toe to toe with the colonial powers. Japan in game reflects this: your starting designs are going to be highly dependent on foreign dockyards. You don't have the industry to build big ships right away. Your budget isn't the biggest either, and resources can be an issue. The largest guns you can build to start with are lower quality 10 inchers. But you've got a few nasty tricks to level the playing field. The Japanese invested heavily in the aircraft carrier, seeing them as the ideal support for an elite battle line, and to wear down opponents who need to come to them to defend their colonial holdings. You get better torpedoes faster, better bombers, better torpedo bombers, and best of all the surprise attack. You get to pull a harbor raid on anyone fighting you before things really kick off, which is really deadly with their focus on torpedo warfare and striking from the sky. A good surprise attack can wipe out most of the enemy's forces in a region, at minimal cost, and let you stroll on in.

There's also the option to play as the CSA if you want an alt history scenario but I don't like their start and there's really nothing special about them. It's just a slightly different 'murrica with less flavor.

BONE_Buddy

Deep Penetrator
kiwifarms.net
Love RtW, good luck on your trail and tribulations.

Before, I give a vote on who to play as, how experienced are you in Rule the Waves?

Because the Austrian start gives you a lot of room to grow without being wildly overpowered until the very end. It does require being very careful and pretty good not to be curb-stomped into the dirt in the early especially.

Techpriest

kiwifarms.net
Love RtW, good luck on your trail and tribulations.

Before, I give a vote on who to play as, how experienced are you in Rule the Waves?

Because the Austrian start gives you a lot of room to grow without being wildly overpowered until the very end. It does require being very careful and pretty good not to be curb-stomped into the dirt in the early especially.
I've played a decent amount of it. I'm not 100% familiar with all the nuances, and RTW II adds in a lot of extra detail. Just having carriers in play and (in the future updates) SAM's and AShM's to work with will make things rather different than the original. Building the ultimate battleship is still important, but carriers can and will kick your shit in if you're not careful.

Reactions: BONE_Buddy

BONE_Buddy

Deep Penetrator
kiwifarms.net
Alright, Admiral.

The Fate of the Duel Monarchy is in your hands (at least with my vote).

If you don't already know about him "Tortuga Power" was pretty obsessive with the first RtW and looks to be just as autistic about RtW 2.

Good luck and have fun, If you need any advice, just ask. I may not know the answer, but I can share my commiserations with you.

Techpriest

kiwifarms.net
Alright, Admiral.

The Fate of the Duel Monarchy is in your hands (at least with my vote).

If you don't already know about him "Tortuga Power" was pretty obsessive with the first RtW and looks to be just as autistic about RtW 2.

Good luck and have fun, If you need any advice, just ask. I may not know the answer, but I can share my commiserations with you.
Tortuga's vids are part of what convinced me to buy the original game.

Reactions: BONE_Buddy

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Nahh, Russia's a bigger dick move for hard mode and that's my pick because of it. Austria-Hungary nearly got me because of their hideous ineptitude in budgeting and their navy being the KuK.

I want glorious Russian navy to be sunk by the Hochseeflotte.

Techpriest

kiwifarms.net
Reminder that Pepsi briefly had one of the worlds largest navies. If corn syrup water can do it we can too!
Sadly Pepsi isn’t a playable faction. If I get time I might see if I can mod the US to become Pepsistan or something.

• Winner
Reactions: Safir

Techpriest

kiwifarms.net
Might as well vote for the stars & stripes. Looked liked nearly everyone else needed a tard-wrangler.
Trust me, the US needed tard wranglers too. For example, there was (possible historical lolcow) Senator "Pitchfork" Benjamin Tillman, who was sick and tired of the Navy requesting money for a slightly larger battleship every year, so he threw up his arms and went, "Build the biggest damn one you possibly can and stop asking us for more money after that." While this was a bad idea, the C&R board of the US navy drew up some napkin designs. Tillman also got into a fistfight with another member of the senate on the senate floor, threatened to impale President Cleveland 'with a pitchfork', which is how he got his nickname, and had a rather long career on the Committee for Naval Affairs, the US Senate committee that was responsible for allocating funding and evaluating the requests of the Navy. Tillman's request for the 'Maximum Battleship' stands as one of the most famous design studies in naval warfare.

It (luckily) was canned due to the 1922 Washington Naval Treaty, because the actual ship would have been rather impractical. Here is an excellent web page on the six (!!!) different design proposals meant to match Tillman's request and get him to shut up, and their history.

NerdShamer

kiwifarms.net
Yeeaaah, putting all your eggs in one basket doesn't always work in naval warfare. Although, in this case, it's just asking to be raped by torpedoes in exchange for a little bit more firepower.

And also, the second link is broken, for some reason.

Techpriest

kiwifarms.net
Yeeaaah, putting all your eggs in one basket doesn't always work in naval warfare. Although, in this case, it's just asking to be raped by torpedoes in exchange for a little bit more firepower.

And also, the second link is broken, for some reason.
Google 'Tillman Battleships'. It's the second one on the list.

NerdShamer

kiwifarms.net
Google 'Tillman Battleships'. It's the second one on the list.
As impressive as it is, I'm pretty sure that a backwards-facing turret on the front half of the ship is a waste of space. It might be useful for an artillery barrage every now and then, but still...

Techpriest

kiwifarms.net
As impressive as it is, I'm pretty sure that a backwards-facing turret on the front half of the ship is a waste of space. It might be useful for an artillery barrage every now and then, but still...
It's not useless actually. It just can't fire forwards. It can however, be used for broadsides, and it's more efficient weight wise to have one turret centerline that can broadside but not fire forward, than two turrets at the wing positions that can only broadside in one direction.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
Never heard of it but this game sounds interesting. Too bad they don't seem to have interesting minors like the ABC powers (guess no huehuehueships slugging it with the pure white people of Argentina), Spain (wannabe Italy), Greece (Christian Turks), or the Ottoman Empire (Muslim Greeks). All had some cool designs in this era which were pretty important in international politics. Or China, your fleet looks big and bad on paper but all your officials are corrupt cheapos so your shells are full of cement instead of explosives.

But seriously play Austria-Hungary and kuk the world starting with the wops.

Trust me, the US needed tard wranglers too. For example, there was (possible historical lolcow) Senator "Pitchfork" Benjamin Tillman, who was sick and tired of the Navy requesting money for a slightly larger battleship every year, so he threw up his arms and went, "Build the biggest damn one you possibly can and stop asking us for more money after that." While this was a bad idea, the C&R board of the US navy drew up some napkin designs. Tillman also got into a fistfight with another member of the senate on the senate floor, threatened to impale President Cleveland 'with a pitchfork', which is how he got his nickname, and had a rather long career on the Committee for Naval Affairs, the US Senate committee that was responsible for allocating funding and evaluating the requests of the Navy. Tillman's request for the 'Maximum Battleship' stands as one of the most famous design studies in naval warfare.

It (luckily) was canned due to the 1922 Washington Naval Treaty, because the actual ship would have been rather impractical. Here is an excellent web page on the six (!!!) different design proposals meant to match Tillman's request and get him to shut up, and their history.
I thought he was called Pitchfork Ben because that's how he and his boys dealt with uppity negroes after the Civil War?

Techpriest

kiwifarms.net
Never heard of it but this game sounds interesting. Too bad they don't seem to have interesting minors like the ABC powers (guess no huehuehueships slugging it with the pure white people of Argentina), Spain (wannabe Italy), Greece (Christian Turks), or the Ottoman Empire (Muslim Greeks). All had some cool designs in this era which were pretty important in international politics. Or China, your fleet looks big and bad on paper but all your officials are corrupt cheapos so your shells are full of cement instead of explosives.

But seriously play Austria-Hungary and kuk the world starting with the wops.

I thought he was called Pitchfork Ben because that's how he and his boys dealt with uppity negroes after the Civil War?
Oh he also was horribly racist. But the pitchfork comment specifically referenced President Cleveland (who he shared a political party with I might add).

As is it looks like the K.u.K. Marine will be the navy I am forced to work with. To make things even harder for myself, I'll will NOT be doing a manual build of the fleet I start the game with.

Techpriest

kiwifarms.net

And so begins the adventures of Admiral Null, of Austria Hungary. Historical resources is turned on, and the legacy fleet is off. Let's see what monstrosities will be unleashed upon us.

Welcome to the screen that we'll end up spending most of our time on. Here's a list of all of our ships, brand new and ready to go. Let's start the list from the top.

Our Kaiser class battleships are 'battleships' in name only. With 9 inch guns they'll be next to useless against any kind of similarly armored ship until far later in the game, if ever. At 19 knots, they are fast for a predred though. With short range and cramped accommodations, they won't be leaving the Med any time soon. Four of our five battlewagons are this glorified armored cruiser.

The other one is this piece of absolute garbage. Admittedly it's a thousand tons lighter, but worse in every way for it. For fucks sake, it only has 3 9 inch guns.

I wouldn't call this armored cruiser good, but it's also not terrible. Cheap, low displacement, can hit 20 knots (which isn't terrible, just 'meh') and has a half decent gun load out. We've got two of them.

The Zenta class is actually a good starting light cruiser. With a 5 gun five inch broadside, 2 inches of armor, torpedo tubes, and 21 knots all at a reasonable displacement of 3400 tons, these are by no means the greatest design of all time, but they're a good start. Plus, they're medium ranged and don't have cramped accommodations. I can actually use them for raiding if I wanted.

It's a shame I only have 2 of them.

As for my torpedo boat destroyers, they're... early game destroyers. Cheap, expendable, and not very good. Hopefully the Panther can justify only having 2 inch guns (which are just awful for attacking ships with) in exchange for those three torpedo tubes. The Lussin class sacrifices a knot, range, and accommodations along with a torpedo tube to scratch 100 tons off it's displacement. I'd actually say the exchange might have been worth it - it mounts a 3 inch gun and has 4 2 inch guns too. Other destroyers likely will get mauled if we're lucky with our two inch guns.

Under construction, I've got another Kaiser and a different battleship class.

The Habsburg class isn't ideal, but it's better than the Kaiser. 10 inch guns and a heavy battery of 7 7-inch guns on each side. With some luck, this thing will beat up ships with less armor than it, or pound their superstructures into pieces. It's my only hope.

Anyway, this handy thing here is the tension bar. As long as the level remains below the black line, you're not at war. I want it to remain below the bar for as long as possible - I have a lot of problems that need to be addressed. You can also adjust how much effort you're putting into spying on every power here. I just put low on everyone.

I similarly adjusted my research. Submarines are going to be a lower priority for me for at least the next five years while I focus on trying to get some decent naval guns. 12 or 13 inchers aren't ideal but I'd rather use them than 11 inchers on my first Dreadnought.

It also handily shows me what caliber guns I have available. The lack of 8 inch cannons kind of sucks, but I can live without them - having 10 inchers, even at -1 quality to put on my heavy cruisers is a much better deal.

My budget is (barely) in the black too, even after increasing intelligence spending and research funding. I'm going to cancel that Kaiser too - they're just not worth the cost of building, not when they've only got 9 inch guns.

It's not all bad news though.

I have some oil production. This will come in handy somewhere around 1910 to 1915, when I'll be able to create oil powered ships. Meanwhile the Italians will be stuck with coal. The few hundred tons of weight saved can really make or break a design. With the basics sorted out, I hit the end turn button.

Each turn represents a month of time in game. This first month, nothing much happens. I do learn that the US is putting down some coastal defenses and laying down a new armored cruiser. The money I freed up from canceling that Kaiser pays off too.

I have just enough to afford a dock expansion. It takes 12 months, but it adds 1000 tons more to your local yards. Otherwise you need to rely on luck and private industry development (which A-H doesn't get as much of compared to the US) to grow your dockyards over time.

The next month is similarly uneventful, though the Brits have put down a massive battery in Australia. Looks like the emu's managed to get their hands on some warships.

My first event pops up a month later, which will raise tensions and my budget with it. Very helpful. It's enough for me to commission a design from Great Britain.

Say hello to the Arpad. At 15,300 tons she's a third and some change larger than my 'battleships.' She packs 12 inch guns, 16 6 inch secondaries (admittedly at a worse quality than my own but hey, I can fix that later if I want), and another 16 3 inch guns in dual mounts to plink away at destroyers with, plus some submerged torpedo tubes (which are somewhat garbage but you can get lucky sometimes. With a belt of 9 inches and a speed of 19 knots, she's tougher and still just as fast as my home built designs. The only downside is going to be the cost - nearly twice as expensive as building it at home, but quality doesn't come cheap. I think it's more than worth it though to have a ship that isn't a trash fire for my battle line. Later on when my docks get big enough I'll be able to make my own. I do a quick check though, and there's a pleasant surprise - France will build them for 200 cheaper a month. I happily accept the discount. It'll take 3 months to get the design ready to go, and a down payment of 3k, but I've got a budget surplus. I also put the Monarch onto reserve fleet status - I'll mothball it or scrap it as soon as the Habsburg enters service.

A quiet few months later, I land a rather nice event.

I get a point of prestige at the cost of one point of tensions with the Russians.

Hmm. They're not the happiest with me.

But the tension level is still rather low even after that. I also order construction of the Arpad to begin in France - I'm still in the black too!

The construction costs aren't too bad either - only 500 more for an extra 5000 tons worth of ship. God bless the French!

Bad luck strikes in November. Unrest is building too, so I go for the middle of the road option. I really, really could use my funding.

As the new year is rung in though, I get a gift of sorts.

Budget, Prestige, and pissing off the Tsar. How could I refuse?

They aren't happy about it though.

What's their navy looking like again?

Oh. That's not good. Still, I've got a better budget than Italy, and I'd like to start designing a heavy cruiser soon, once my docks are completed. I might also order another Arpad. I could also use more and bigger light cruisers. Decisions, decisions. I'll leave it here Kiwis, and ask for your advice. I'll try and condense each year into a single post.

Last edited:

BONE_Buddy

Deep Penetrator
kiwifarms.net
Your Arpad-Class design looks pretty good.

I probably would have gone with cramped accommodations considering that the ship will be staying in home waters.

I also am paranoid about the submerged torpedo mounts (the chance of flooding and all that), but as said I am paranoid. They are useful for a finishing coup-de-grâce to ensure your crippled opponents actually die.

Still a decently armored and speedy Class with a set of guns that will ravage your enemies.

+++++

I agree with your assessments on the rest of your fleet, though I would scrap the Monarch as soon as practically possible (it needs to be put out of its misery).

The Kaiser-Class could be good for beating up on CLs and the odd CA but they should probably avoid the enemies main battle line as you say.

You got a decent raider there in the Zenta-Class, anything else I say will be repetitive.

As for the destroyers... I would almost scrap them and not build any new ones for a while. I just have a pathological hatred of those little ships though.

+++++

Diplomatically, I would try to tard wrangle your foreign ministry into war with Italy. Looks like a war with Russia is coming though. So... Good luck with that.

As for Intel, When you start getting the least bit ahead in budget, spying on a few major powers (excluding anywhere you are having ships built) when possible is probably a good idea to get your hands on some technology. Obviously that will ratchet up tension with them, so some diplomatic tactfulness will be needed.

+++++

About all the critique I have for you as of now.

Good luck Admiral!

Reactions: GnomeofDoc

Techpriest

kiwifarms.net
Your Arpad-Class design looks pretty good.

I probably would have gone with cramped accommodations considering that the ship will be staying in home waters.

I also am paranoid about the submerged torpedo mounts (the chance of flooding and all that), but as said I am paranoid. They are useful for a finishing coup-de-grâce to ensure your crippled opponents actually die.

Still a decently armored and speedy Class with a set of guns that will ravage your enemies.

+++++

I agree with your assessments on the rest of your fleet, though I would scrap the Monarch as soon as practically possible (it needs to be put out of its misery).

The Kaiser-Class could be good for beating up on CLs and the odd CA but they should probably avoid the enemies main battle line as you say.

You got a decent raider there in the Zenta-Class, anything else I say will be repetitive.

As for the destroyers... I would almost scrap them and not build any new ones for a while. I just have a pathological hatred of those little ships though.

+++++

Diplomatically, I would try to tard wrangle your foreign ministry into war with Italy. Looks like a war with Russia is coming though. So... Good luck with that.

As for Intel, When you start getting the least bit ahead in budget, spying on a few major powers (excluding anywhere you are having ships built) when possible is probably a good idea to get your hands on some technology. Obviously that will ratchet up tension with them, so some diplomatic tactfulness will be needed.

+++++

About all the critique I have for you as of now.

Good luck Admiral!
My plan is to try to avoid antagonizing Russia. All of their ships are better than mine, bigger than mine, and they have more of them. Admittedly a bunch are stuck on the other side of the world but it's still not a good idea to pick a fight with them just yet. Italy though, if I'm lucky and get some more Arpad's, I could reasonably hope to punch in the dick hard enough to make them cry uncle. Cramped accomidations also slowly increase unrest, or at least increase the chance of unrest gain. I'm considering scrapping half my battlefleet as soon as I can to get rid of it. As you can see, unrest is growing fast, even early.

Anyway, on with the lets play.

My build up of docks has finally finished. I'll be ordering new ones immediately. I need at least 16000 tons before I can build a better Arpad (or something similar) at home.

I don't really have new and powerful ships, so this event is kind of funny. As is though, the old ships would give me budget but cost prestige - and I really really want prestige. The newest and most powerful will give me that, but also raise tensions with everyone, which I don't want. So average ships, and no effect it is.

My intelligence guys are also have a bit of bad news. The Imperator Pavel I has for sure 12 inch guns and a 9 inch belt. It is also at least 18 knots, as I've seen before in some turn messages. Italy has also increased spending. They've certainly got a larger budget than I do now.

Accordingly, I adjust my intelligence spending a bit.

I also get a pleasant surprise - my dock size increased by 2000 tons, not just 1000! I can actually build half decent armored cruisers and battleships in my docks now.

By April I've got another B ready to go, which is good news - the Russians completed their other B, the Imperator Nikolai I and the Italians just commissioned a new armored cruiser. I need the Habsburg, even if it is inferior to everything else on the sea in its class (aside from the Kaiser and Monarch classes). This also frees up budget to build other ships, like, say, another Arpad. It'll take me slightly into the red to build it, but not by much. I also just mothball the Monarch. She's not worth the budget right now.

Oh fuck YES. I've got 16k tons to play with now. I can refit the Arpad class as needed.

Tensions ticked down by one last month, so I feel safe hoping for some prestige, even if the ruskies won't like it.

Some bad news too. The Italians are matching my battleship construction program.

Tensions are still fine.

Sorry Russia, Red Storm Rising isn't due for another eight decades. Stay out of Iceland!

Funnily enough, tensions with Russia have actually decreased naturally over the year, even with my efforts to antagonize them. I'm playing a dangerous game. Tensions with Italy are down too, which is OK, I guess. The French for some reason aren't the happiest with me, but they're building my Arpads, so I'll do my best to not piss them off.

Meanwhile, I get a kick in the dick.
View attachment
Unrest is at 4. I have to lower it, even if it costs me money. Social Reforms, PLEASE. It'll cost me prestige too, but I got a lucky freebee from that National Hero event.

Thank god. Sometimes the social reforms fail to pass. I'm only slightly in the red too.

Next month I'm lucky. My first tech event pops up, which is a good one. Higher rate of fire for naval guns is very important.

The cherry on top of it is that I stole the tech from the Russians!

And it also reduced my tensions with them too!

While I'd like to pick the first, the tension increase could mean delays on the Arpads. I'll take the budget and hopefully some long term benefits thanks. Worryingly, my Unrest is back up to 4. Again.

And it's a good thing I did, because the ungrateful bastards in Budapest once AGAIN cut my funding.

The next turn gives me some interesting info. Apparently the Russians are building their new battleships in the UK. My guess is so they'll be built faster. Odd though, as underdeveloped ship building is only remedied through constructing capital ships in your own dockyards.

Very good news next month. I really can't afford more than a handful of new destroyers right now, but as soon as I get more budget I'm designing and building a new class. Minimum of two three inch guns. The better torpedoes isn't amazing right now, but it'll help.

And with this, I'll stop once more in February. Another 2k dock expansion is a welcome surprise. Russia and the US are heavily investing in naval build up. France is starting to build more battleships too.

I'm running a modest deficit, but I've got enough to sustain it for at least a year, even if I want to buy some tech from another power. I can delay the construction of one of my Arpad's for a month, if I need to free up funding for more light ships. I might need to shift my naval construction strategy in the future too. Lighter combatants are cheap and a lot faster to build. The gap in CL's between myself and the Italians is not good. Same with their armored cruisers. I know that I can flood the seas with cheap and fast DD's, but I want to avoid doing that.

As you can see, my budget is not good, not good at all. At the very least though I've been able to keep tensions from spiraling out of control so far.

I'll likely extend the time I play per post, if nothing really is going on. As is, here are Admiral Null's TOP SECRET plans for the future.

1. Scrap the Kaiser's as replacement ships come in. Each Kaiser is only 10k tons and better designated a shitty armored cruiser. They aren't worth the maintenance cost.
2. Build a CA worth a damn. Armored cruisers can make or break a war effort, as they'll bully the hell out of light cruisers and any armored cruiser with shittier armament.
3. Build short range, heavily armed light cruisers. Six 6 inch guns at minimum for broadside, and a load of 3 inch secondaries. Minimum 22 knots. I want to be able to make other light cruisers and destroyers run home crying, and also be able to at the very least, slap a heavy cruiser hard enough he can feel it before fleeing.
4 . ?????
5. Profit

Last edited:

Techpriest

kiwifarms.net
So the first thing I do when I load in my new game is simple. I want to improve the Panther. I have 100 extra tons to play with, so I do.

Meet the Streiter. It's an improved Panther. Up gunned, good speed, and critically it both carries more ammo, and more torpedoes overall. Swivel mounts on the sides are iffy, but when they work they really really work. They also save a bit of weight, and allow ROF of the centerline guns to be better, which for a destroyer is pretty important. I considered dropping the center mount for some two inch secondaries, but decided against it.

A big change from the original Rule the Waves to the current one is that you have a design cost now. For small ships, it doesn't take too long or cost too much to develop a design into something workable. For bigger ships, like the Arpad class, it can take several months and several thousand out of your funds. I'll order a few in the next couple months.

The US continues to provide me with nice things.

Ordering the Streiters, I notice something. I have a CL design that isn't currently in service. Let's take a look, shall we?

The Szigetvar is almost exactly what I was talking about when I was making my future plans. It'll be expensive though, and I'll want to redesign it a little bit to save at least some costs. Otherwise, I love it. This is a very very good base for a raiding CL. 8 6 inch guns and 18 3 inch quick firing secondaries gives this a nice throw weight. Any lightly armored ship will be shredded at close range, and the 6 inch guns will punch through almost 3 inches of armor at 5000 yards.

Prestige and tension. The Arpad's are close to finishing so I'll risk it.

:stress: WHY YOU FUCKING HUNGARIAN CUNTS. I BET THE AUSTRIANS WOULD HAVE APPROVED MY FUNDING!

I'm going to have to halt construction on one of the Arpad's for a few months. The delays really hurt.

MY FUNDING YOU CUNTS!

DON'T YOU SEE THIS?

WHAT ABOUT THIS, HMM?

OR THIS SHIT?

I luckily get an event to keep France from getting antsy about the ships I'm building in their ports. Hushing up a dead hooker is worth it for this.

Honestly I would love to, but the cost is too high. I need my battleships more than unreliable submarines.

Next month though the game throws me a big gift.

An alliance with Germany would solve my Russia problems, no question about that.

Hallelujah, they accept too!

More good news.

Tensions could be better, but we're not at risk of war out of the blue, at least at the moment.

She's nothing extremely special, but she'd be a nasty raider. She's immune to 6 inch guns light cruisers can throw her way, and she's packing a six gun broadside of her own 6 inch guns.

The other reason I don't want unrest - it delays my ships.

This is a nice christmas gift though.

I get another a few months later.

As Arpad is commissioned, we get to pour over her. Building ships in foreign yards is more expensive, but it can grant you some tech bonuses.

Some bad news comes with it though. What tech do we even have worth risking? Tensions will increase because of it.

That's not the best. Hopefully relations with France or Russia won't take a turn for the worse over the next five months - Arpad's sister ship, Radetzky, is still in the docks.

I could not hit yes fast enough.

Again, I'm lucky. Looks like investing in the railroads was the smart choice!

With funds freed up from the Arpad's finishing construction, I order a Szigetvar and another Streiter.

They won't be happy. But I need budget, and prestige.

The tech sharing pays off too.

These things could wreck my face in. I shouldn't have pissed the brits off, I can already feel it. The Radetzky also finally leaves the French dockyards, which is a real relief. I have two actual ships of the line now.

Tech breakthroughs are always helpful.

Unrest is at 5. I'll take the prestige hit and the boost to the budget for some unrest reduction.

With all that in mind I design the most expensive ship yet. Weighing in at 12,500 tons, the Sankt Georg class sports 9 inch guns, a speed of 23 knots, and a hefty battery of smaller guns. She pays for this by being short range, but I think the tradeoff is worth it. She'll be able to do a number on other armored cruisers before scooting away, and light cruisers won't stand a chance. She's going to take 2 years to build and run a whopping 2,100 a month to construct, but I can afford one of her and still be in the red. I'll happily wait three months and pay up half my meger stockpile of funds to get this design ready to go.

The rest of my funds goes to this.

More research, both of which are good techs. With the pressure hull, I'm on my way to getting early submarines.

Deficit spending for something this important is a no brainer.

Tension reductions, and prestige? Sure, whatever you say!

France isn't building anything for me right now. Prestige helps with budget and reducing unrest. I want it.

Mmm, yes, more delicious prestige.

Nobody's happy with it though.

Haha, yes, FEED ME BUDGET!

Skoda Works finally makes a new gun. It's not the best quality, or a very big caliber, but I'll take it!

4 inch guns aren't the best, but they make good secondaries for CL's and good tertiary guns for everything else. I'll take quality 1 ones any day.

Unrest is reaching dangerous levels. I need to scrap the cramped ships. Now.

This is all the navy is after that. It'll be a long and slow rebuild, but it needs to be done.

Good news, if I want to make a really disgusting heavily secondaried predred.

Unrest JUST WON'T STOP.

GIVE ME THAT PRESTIGE, I NEED IT!

I commission a new predred design. Heavy secondary battery, best guns I can throw on it, and heavy armor. She's not the cheapest, but I need something, anything to match the tonnage and numbers of the other major's battleships. She has no torpedos though, both to cut cost and save weight.

Finally, some events to deal with the Italians.

This is a big deal. Central fire control makes big guns more accurate, and more accurate ships means more hits, which means more damage.

NO. NO YOU INBRED HABSBURG FUCK, WE CAN'T AFFORD THAT. I NEED TO BUILD A FUCKLOAD OF NEW BATTLESHIPS.

Yes yes yes yes and more yes.

This is a big tech. Torpedo protection 1 can save ships from early torpedoes. Pity I've already designed my capitals, but oh well.

Tensions are high all around. They get higher.

Yeah no let's back the fuck down, I can't take GB at all.

Early coastals are garbage, but at least I have them! In 1907! I don't even have 12 inch guns yet, and I've had priority on those since the start of the game. Kill me.

Also, it's official. We've entered the Dreadnought age. I can't build any, yet.

The game mocks me with this a month later too. But then I get the triple gun turret tech to pop the same month. And now, I have an idea.

She's beautiful. Sure, her guns aren't the best, yes, her secondaries aren't the greatest, her speed isn't super fast and her armor won't stand up to guns bigger than 12 inches most likely. But look at her. Just look at her. Ten gun broadside. By throw weight alone she'll batter any ship smaller than her to itty bitty pieces. She's expensive, yes, very expensive, and she'll take nearly three years to build. But she'll be mine, and an absolute terror to any ship that gets in range. Five and a half thousand out of my small, barely scraped together treasury. My unrest is sky high, I'm having to halt construction on one of my predreds (I still want it, it'll help), tensions all around the world are growing, but I don't give a shit. I'm building the biggest dreadnought in the Mediterranean, come hell or high water, and no pasta eating son of a bitch is going to stop me.

Begun, the Dreadnought Race has.

Attachments

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino