RuPaul's views on women doing drag -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs Paul

Yinzer Kiwi
kiwifarms.net
I always thought it was you could only do a form of drag (queens or kings) if you were in the LGBTetc community.

Really, RuPaul is just following the rhetoric these folks have been spewing for years - straight and cis people aren't allowed to be proud of their gender identity. Cis men are the devil incarnate and cis women aren't as real of women as trans women.

Do these angry people want to be... actually inclusive?!‽
I think there are straight guys who do drag, but don't quote me on that.

Part of the issue, I'm guessing, is that back in the day, you had trans people, transvestites, drag queens, etc all lumped into one big catagory. It's probably why people think that it was a trans chick (when it was actually a drag queen) who started the riots at Stonewall -- back then, they didn't really make any distinction between them. Plus gender-bending was kind of a trend back in the 70s -- think of the whole "glam rock" scene.

I don't think though that you can do drag if you're a woman though. And if you identify as a woman, whether or cis or trans, well, then you're not really doing drag, you're just dressing up really really fancy. I don't know what Rupaul's stance is on FtM, but for MtF, it doesn't make sense to want to go on a drag show. Unless you're dressing up as a dude (do they ever have drag kings?)

Now I for one love Rupaul -- he always cracks me up, but he never struck me as the easiest person in the world to get along with. And I'm guessing he'd agree.

MysteriousStranger

literally who
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't think though that you can do drag if you're a woman though.
It used to be a thing, back in the late 19th, early 20th Centuries. You know, back when a woman in pants was shocking (actually, illegal). There were famous female cross-dressers on the vaudeville circuit. Fifty years later, the pants suit really was shocking modernity.

God, I feel like that dessicated old bore at the family reunion.

Crunchy Leaf

cronch
kiwifarms.net
I remember there's been a few people who competed on drag race who have been pissed off at RuPaul. I remember clearly that Carmen Carrera got a bit mad at him for a few things he said: https://attitude.co.uk/article/14111/carmen-carrera-opens-up-about-feuding-with-rupaul-and-life-after-drag-race/ I think for Rupaul's use of things that she isn't a fan of hearing, as a trans woman. To each their own I guess?

I'm sure she's not the only competitor from drag race that's slammed him for this or that. I think Kenya Michaels might have done but I really don't know.
Like I said, there's so much more salt on him than just this. Mostly from trans people, including some contestants on the show? A lot of people have got up in his business about his opinion on drag kings too. I think that got discussed in the enby thread or tacky clothes of tumblr thread or something like that. People complaining about it being sexist or some crap I don't know.

:powerlevel: I've seen the salt irl. Short while ago, I was waiting for the bus with a friend. Some random girl I didn't know (who looked like your garden variety tumblrina) ended up talking to us about drag race... Because we mentioned drag race.... And she's a fan. I was so glad her bus arrived after a few minutes though. When she mentioned the word "problematic" unironically, I did sorta die inside:powerlevel:

Let's be real, there's been so many people questioning the realism of drag race as a show for a while now. Lisbug made a video on the various things people have said about how real the show is So I'm not surprised that something to do with Rupaul is under fire again, especially after people have thinking that the show is fixed and/or season 7 was rigged for a long time. (Like Katya being eliminated for the storyline, as well as how Max was portrayed before his elimination where it looks like he's going off the rails a bit when supposedly that wasn't the case.... Which fans on the subreddit are really not happy about)
Wait, people complain about a reality TV show being rigged? Isn't that basically every reality TV show? America's Next Top Model this is not.

JimmyHill'sBlarms

YOU HAPPY NAPPA!
kiwifarms.net

I don't think though that you can do drag if you're a woman though. And if you identify as a woman, whether or cis or trans, well, then you're not really doing drag, you're just dressing up really really fancy. I don't know what Rupaul's stance is on FtM, but for MtF, it doesn't make sense to want to go on a drag show. Unless you're dressing up as a dude (do they ever have drag kings?)

Yeah, some straight guys do drag. I can't name any famous ones off the top of my head, but they're not all queer.

You CAN be a female and adopt a drag queen persona (it's called Faux Queen or Bio Queen) but I don't think they should be allowed in Drag Queen competitions (they have an unfair advantage, being women and all, plus, it defeats the whole purpose of the "Man dressing as woman" definition of Drag.)

I'd love to see some Drag Kings and straight Drag Queens on the Drag Race. Just to go against the stereotype and show people that no, not all Queens are Transgender or even gay for that matter.

AnOminous

FIST FUCK
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I've heard drag queens absolutely despise trannies. The reasoning I've been told is that drag queens celebrate the beauty and glamour of women, while they see transsexuals as just being parasites on that mystique for their own vanity.
Troons at the same time hate drag queens and want to turn historical drag queens into trannies, sort of like Mormons baptizing the dead to turn them retroactively into Mormons. Fuck troons. Drag queens are okay.

soryu

Jerry Mouse
kiwifarms.net
Drag is essentially a expression of femininity as a performance, not being a woman. Anybody who's not a guy can do drag, too.
Most troons don't realize that them dressing up is considered drag, because they're essentially "performing to pass". Drag shouldn't be a negative term for them, since a few pioneers of the LGBT community were drag queens, a few of them also happened to be trans.
Also Ru Paul tried to apologize to the trans community by sharing a trans flag, but it was actually the first Google search result for "trains flag" instead.
trainsflag.PNG

LtCucumber

Girls, Girls, Girls
kiwifarms.net
You CAN be a female and adopt a drag queen persona (it's called Faux Queen or Bio Queen) but I don't think they should be allowed in Drag Queen competitions (they have an unfair advantage, being women and all, plus, it defeats the whole purpose of the "Man dressing as woman" definition of Drag.)

I'd love to see some Drag Kings and straight Drag Queens on the Drag Race. Just to go against the stereotype and show people that no, not all Queens are Transgender or even gay for that matter.
I totally see that- I don't really think trans men (pre-op/pre-T) should compete in Drag Queen shows, also due to the advantage they would very obviously have (see also "i'm a pre everything trans man" to get into drag queen competitions is a possibility) I get how maybe drag kings might not really fit the whole "america's next top model for the drag community" element of it, however I do think that maybe they should be given some sort of chance, as drag kings are still doing drag.

I don't know what Rupaul's stance is on FtM, but for MtF, it doesn't make sense to want to go on a drag show. Unless you're dressing up as a dude (do they ever have drag kings?)
I think a few of them came out after the show. Gia Gunn came out i think a year after season 6. Monica Beverly Hillz came out during the show, and during the reuinion stated "drag is what I do, trans is what I am" or something along those lines. So I think it may be a case of them not knowing or not coming out until after the show, or RuPaul/the producers not knowing about it.

I mean i don't know how I feel about trans women (who are transitioning, on HRT, had surgery, etc) competing in drag race. I see where Rupaul is coming from, as they're essentially women, and look like women because they're transitioning to be one, and look like one. I don't see it as an "anti-trans" statement- just the question of "if you're a woman, why are you competing as a drag queen?"

Last edited:

Sylvie Paula Paula

Running at 500 "bi"s per minute
kiwifarms.net
I totally see that- I don't really think trans men (pre-op/pre-T) should compete in Drag Queen shows, also due to the advantage they would very obviously have (see also "i'm a pre everything trans man" to get into drag queen competitions is a possibility) I get how maybe drag kings might not really fit the whole "america's next top model for the drag community" element of it, however I do think that maybe they should be given some sort of chance, as drag kings are still doing drag.

I think a few of them came out after the show. Gia Gunn came out i think a year after season 6. Monica Beverly Hillz came out during the show, and during the reuinion stated "drag is what I do, trans is what I am" or something along those lines. So I think it may be a case of them not knowing or not coming out until after the show, or RuPaul/the producers not knowing about it.

I mean i don't know how I feel about trans women (who are transitioning, on HRT, had surgery, etc) competing in drag race. I see where Rupaul is coming from, as they're essentially women, and look like women because they're transitioning to be one, and look like one. I don't see it as an "anti-trans" statement- just the question of "if you're a woman, why are you competing as a drag queen?"
Like trans men, drag kings essentially don't exist in the public eye; unless you're an avid fan of it, are much more aware of drag culture as a whole, or you do your research. They seem to keep quiet.

LtCucumber

Girls, Girls, Girls
kiwifarms.net
Like trans men, drag kings essentially don't exist in the public eye; unless you're an avid fan of it, are much more aware of drag culture as a whole, or you do your research. They seem to keep quiet.
I guess so. I mean I'm a fan, personally especially since I started out as a drag king. Though in my opinion, to really know about drag king shows, you have to know about a sorta popular drag king and do research from there. The only real way I know about drag king shows is by following drag kings on social media- even then they're not as common, and are hardly ever in the immediate area or easy to travel to(like a lot that I know of are in America). The British drag king scene doesn't seem to be very public or "out there" compared to drag queens. It does seem that when it comes to any sort of drag (including "bio queens"), drag queens are the most recognisable and outshine the rest.

I've mentioned drag kings to some people and some get it, some don't. You're definitely correct, it does seem to be a case of you have to be really interested in the drag scene to do know about it. I think it's come to light more now that the discussion of "should drag kings be a part of drag race" has been going on for a few years now.

Also, funnily enough, I've seen more straight drag kings (one of which is married with children) than straight drag queens.

Last edited:

Dysnomia

Povertish
kiwifarms.net

Part of the issue, I'm guessing, is that back in the day, you had trans people, transvestites, drag queens, etc all lumped into one big catagory. It's probably why people think that it was a trans chick (when it was actually a drag queen) who started the riots at Stonewall -- back then, they didn't really make any distinction between them. Plus gender-bending was kind of a trend back in the 70s -- think of the whole "glam rock" scene.

Now I for one love Rupaul -- he always cracks me up, but he never struck me as the easiest person in the world to get along with. And I'm guessing he'd agree.
So it was a drag queen and they are indeed wrong? Because I kept hearing it refuted but without details. Trannies like to claim it as their accomplishment. But dressing as a women and identifying as one are two different things.

When you look at glam bands from the 70s and 80s they really did dress in women's clothes. Twisted Sister were actually stealing dresses and blouses from their girlfriends and moms. It's in the documentary We Are Twisted Fucking Sister. They played some event for military personnel wearing their moms' clothes.:lol:

If you had this type of thing now it would be "REEEEEE they're making fun of trans* folx".

But today's 90s kids and 2000 Millennials don't see that or understand it. They want everything catered to them current year style. If it doesn't fit their ideology 100% it's immediately cancelled and screeched about. They all sound like babies having tantrums. They've literally never grown up emotionally past toddlerhood.

You can't be a drag queen if you are a woman or identifying as one. Because the whole point is that it's supposed to be men dressing in outrageous female clothing and accessories. Take the male part away and it's just women in costumes. Why does everything have to be inclusive? We're going to reach a point where all the forced inclusiveness just results in a massive push back from people who are tired of having the one space they are allotted invaded to prevent hurt feelings. And all it's going to do is set everything backwards even further then it was.

I hope Rupaul isn't pressured into putting what will likely amount to fakebois and crazy autogynephile troons on his show to keep the screeching to a minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino