Cultcow Russell Greer / @theofficialinstaofrussellgreer - Swift-Obsessed Sex Pest, Magical Star Buddy, Now On Probation for E-Stalking, Pipsqueak

The Un-Clit

After the Dimensional Merge, pussy eats YOU!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The guys downfall was opening with "I am the true fairy of rock."

Great article here on him: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/mar/28/jobriath-marc-almond (ignore it's the Guardian)

Literally never heard of the man before this either. That opening is a sure way (especially in the early 1970s) to be the main reason why. Holy shit, way to misread the audience! He would have had a much better chance closer to 1980 (and have been a contemporary of article writer Marc Almond, ironically enough. Yes I am a massive Soft Cell fan) with that kind of style, but it is what it is. History of music is littered with the corpses of talented neverbeens.

Hamsteroid

Too swole to control
kiwifarms.net
Hamster I love u and have great respect for your sick lifting regimen but if you show me anything this terrible again I will fly to your country and force-feed you a brick in minecraft.
Show me where they discriminated against you.png

Cheesegirl78

"I want to f**k you sex sex sex"
kiwifarms.net
Another fun fact...anyone remember Jobriath? No? He was aggressively marketed as the new David Bowie, the new megastar, billboard in Times Square...and nobody wanted him. All the tours and media push and “people in the Biz” could not make the world accept Jobriath. He had connections out the arse, money behind him, marketing campigns, interviews, shows...but he was not what the public wanted, so his star never got off the ground.

Russ does not get that. He thinks “the Biz” throws money at you and tells the world you’re famous and suddenly, you’re a success. He thinks if the Hollywood Powers That Be decide you will be a star, then it just happens. He thinks it’s not what you know, but who you know.

Jobriath’s team knew everybody and he still flopped.

View attachment 2246192
Wow, I vaguely remember this guy.
I felt like he was being forced on the public, and I had no interest in him because of that.

Ronnie Rocket

toxic talking turd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The problem with Jobriath is they were marketing him as the "new Bowie" when the original Bowie was still around and still making excellent music - Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, Pin Ups, Diamond Dogs, and Young Americans were all released while the industry was trying to replace Bowie with Jobriath. Which was hilarious because Jobriath was nothing more than an American Bowie rip-off.

Also he died of AIDS in 1983 (possibly in the Chelsea Hotel) - likely because he was a prostitute for decades.

Fun fact: His name was actually "Bruce Wayne Campbell" which makes me think of Bruce Campbell dressed as Batman.

Finally, anecdotes say that Morrissey tried to get Jobriath to be an opening act for his Your Arsenal tour; he didn't know that he'd died a decade before. (@CWCissey)

AnOminous

i will eat your fucking soul
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Literally never heard of the man before this either. That opening is a sure way (especially in the early 1970s) to be the main reason why. Holy shit, way to misread the audience! He would have had a much better chance closer to 1980 (and have been a contemporary of article writer Marc Almond, ironically enough. Yes I am a massive Soft Cell fan) with that kind of style, but it is what it is. History of music is littered with the corpses of talented neverbeens.
But both Marc Almond and other incredibly open fairies like Pet Shop Boys and Boy George and George Michael led with their talent, not their homosexuality. I mean it's one thing to put on a fantastic show and put out great songs, and be like "yeah I'm a giant flaming homo got a problem" and another entirely to lead with that up front, because nobody cares about that part.

Phil Ken Sebben

The Potato Whisperer.
kiwifarms.net
Fun fact: His name was actually "Bruce Wayne Campbell" which makes me think of Bruce Campbell dressed as Batman.
I'm always reminded of Wayne Campbell from "Wayne's World" doing an Evil Dead knockoff.
But both Marc Almond and other incredibly open fairies like Pet Shop Boys and Boy George and George Michael led with their talent, not their homosexuality. I mean it's one thing to put on a fantastic show and put out great songs, and be like "yeah I'm a giant flaming homo got a problem" and another entirely to lead with that up front, because nobody cares about that part.
Any singer who was gay in their private life nobody cared because it had nothing to do with the music.

Literal rock gods like Freddy Mercury or Rob Halford were able to avoid this kind of stigma because of their talent. When "hee hee! Look how gay I am!" is central to your character then the character is more important than the music and the music suffers for it.

AnOminous

i will eat your fucking soul
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Literal rock gods like Freddy Mercury or Rob Halford were able to avoid this kind of stigma because of their talent. When "hee hee! Look how gay I am!" is central to your character then the character is more important than the music and the music suffers for it.
I actually did choose obvious gays for a reason, because the others, while also gay looking back on it, weren't obvious about it. Halford in particular you wouldn't have even thought "wow this guy is gay" because it had absolutely nothing to do with his persona.

But seriously, if you didn't realize Freddie Mercury was gay you were probably just oblivious. He wasn't at all closeted about it, his band was named Queen, I mean I was personally surprised when I realized he was gay, but I was oblivious. The man was an obvious and open homosexual, and he didn't give a shit if you knew it or not.

Phil Ken Sebben

The Potato Whisperer.
kiwifarms.net
I actually did choose obvious gays for a reason, because the others, while also gay looking back on it, weren't obvious about it. Halford in particular you wouldn't have even thought "wow this guy is gay" because it had absolutely nothing to do with his persona.

But seriously, if you didn't realize Freddie Mercury was gay you were probably just oblivious. He wasn't at all closeted about it, his band was named Queen, I mean I was personally surprised when I realized he was gay, but I was oblivious. The man was an obvious and open homosexual, and he didn't give a shit if you knew it or not.
To be fair to Rob his homosexuality was well known in the music and entertainment biz and wasn't really advertised. When it was finally revealed to the public though literally nobody cared. Why? It's because Rob Halford is awesome.

Jobriath and his insistence of being the "gay" rock star reminds me of this sketch:

Cousin_Larry

kiwifarms.net
I don't usually watch AGT, one of Russ' targets. But I saw in the news a story of a woman who just auditioned and has been riddled with cancer for years who wrote and sang her own song, and it was beautiful. She then went on to say she has a 2% chance of survival, but that's not nothing! She's grateful! And Russ thinks his unintelligible PowerPoint and his frozen face is just as deserving to be on the show.