Cultcow Russell Greer / @theofficialinstaofrussellgreer - Swift-Obsessed Sex Pest, Magical Star Buddy, Now On Probation for E-Stalking, Pipsqueak

• Emails (registration / password reset) appear to be working; be sure to check spam.

Little Dark Age

Lolzymandias, colossal wreck
kiwifarms.net
The problem with Jobriath is they were marketing him as the "new Bowie" when the original Bowie was still around and still making excellent music - Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, Pin Ups, Diamond Dogs, and Young Americans were all released while the industry was trying to replace Bowie with Jobriath. Which was hilarious because Jobriath was nothing more than an American Bowie rip-off.

Also he died of AIDS in 1983 (possibly in the Chelsea Hotel) - likely because he was a prostitute for decades.

Fun fact: His name was actually "Bruce Wayne Campbell" which makes me think of Bruce Campbell dressed as Batman.

Finally, anecdotes say that Morrissey tried to get Jobriath to be an opening act for his Your Arsenal tour; he didn't know that he'd died a decade before. (@CWCissey)

Apologies for the lateness, but this thread moves fast and I love learning of cases like Jobriath. I'd never heard of him before this thread either, but "all the right stuff, all the right connections, right time, right place, still didn't make it" stories are so fascinating. Some people just do not have that spark, that undefinable quality, and there's nothing they can do about it.
Russ, of course, thinks he has it in spades and it's everybody else's fault for not catching on lol.

OT Jobriath vs Bowie fun facts-
Ok so bear with me bc this is a little bit crazy. So obviously Jobriath was supposed to be "the next Bowie," & was explicitly marketed as such, which ofc is ridiculous. He was definitely being marketed with knockoff Bowie imagery, had a song about being a space man, etc etc.

Anyway, I looked at some of his album art and promo shots. Right away I rolled my eyes, because he's got the "looking creepy and alien, topless with a red pompadour & lipstick, with a nonhuman lower half revealed on the other side of the sleeve" just like Bowie did with Diamond Dogs.
jobriath-gf-c.jpg
FJYMLWLXMZF7JKP6R5XVSD6VNM.jpg

And then I saw he was explicitly doing a Pierrot the Clown thing, and even uses the name in a song, and did a ton of promo photos in various states of Pierrot costume. Bowie famously did Pierrot for Ashes to Ashes, so I was like "oh BROTHER, are you KIDDING me?"

Screen_Shot_2020-11-30_at_4.00.14_PM.png
David-Bowie-Pierrot.jpg

Except...you guys, these photos are all posted in order.
Jobriath's album art happened first.
And Jobriath was doing Pierrot first.

Now, I'm not saying Bowie needed to copy this guy. But holy shit, Bowie doing Pierrot years after this guy has flopped, and singing "...to get things done, you better not mess with Major Tom" in the video....

*X-Files theme*

What I'm saying is that yes David Bowie definitely invented AIDS and gaymurdered Jobriath

/endBowiesperg

Okay now that I've sperged that out of my system, to get back on topic:

Which musician do you guys think Russ fantasizes himself as being like? In his wildest dreams, who opens for him on his world tour? Who is his Bowie?

AnOminous

i will eat your fucking soul
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Which musician do you guys think Russ fantasizes himself as being like? In his wildest dreams, who opens for him on his world tour? Who is his Bowie?
I don't think he actually cares about music unless it's by someone he wants to fuck. If he did, though, it would be someone incredibly lame like Kenny G.

Pip Squeak

I feel stupid
kiwifarms.net
I've never seen him drink a coffee drink that doesn't have a 2:1 sugar:coffee ratio. The fact that it's caffeinated makes him feel like a big boy but his palate can't handle anything that doesn't taste like it should be served at a kids' birthday party
Remember that thing covered in biscuits (cookies to you Yankee types) just after he moved to Vegas? I think that was some sort of coffee abomination.

Elvis. It’s Elvis. He really thought that flop of grease hanging in front of his eyes was an Elvis quiff. What a twat.

The Great Citracett

It is the nineties, and there is time for autism.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Either Billy Joel or Rob Thomas from Matchbox 20. They seem to be his favorites. Total studs.

He really seems to dislike Elton John. Once he posted a "Who's better, Elton John or Billy Joel?" poll on Facebook but quickly nuked it when everyone voted for Elton.

Walking Clock

Purely and Simply Ree
kiwifarms.net
Russ has outright said he doesn’t believe in God, and despite threatening to sue the Church for false imprisonment (his serving a mission) he will occasionally get defensive if someone else goes after the Church. It’s similar to Sabertooth or Joker believing only they can kill Wolverine or Batman.

I think he just likes the idea of walking a superior moral path than others and Mormonism was what he was given. His disdain for alcohol comes from him not being able to handle it and/or being unable to socialize normally in settings that serve alcohol more than anything else.

I wonder how much of Russ’ admiration for Billy Joel comes from him having been married to a supermodel despite not being great looking himself, and Russ looking at that as proof he can have it, too.

Last edited:

DrJonesHat

Clarifying Ninja
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Either Billy Joel or Rob Thomas from Matchbox 20. They seem to be his favorites. Total studs.

He really seems to dislike Elton John. Once he posted a "Who's better, Elton John or Billy Joel?" poll on Facebook but quickly nuked it when everyone voted for Elton.
He also said that the song "Candle in the Wind" which was about Marilyn Monroe(the original version was, he rewrote after Princess Diana died) was proof that Elton John wanted to fuck Marilyn Monroe. Apparently, Russ is the only person in the western world who doesn't know Elton John is a flaming gay man.

Constellationzero

MAPP gas huffer
kiwifarms.net