RWBY - The Hindenburg on which Rooster Teeth rests its hopes, dreams and future

Fougaro

Glow in the dark K/DA Popstar
kiwifarms.net
NOTE: This is a containment thread for sperging about the show itself and, if you so desire, the behind the scenes homosexual deviancy regarding Rooster Teeth that is unrelated to either Vic Mignogna or the Weeb Wars for which we have an entire sub-forum over there.

What started initially as the 2007 smash hit by the Kaiser Chiefs, would a few years later became the question if a bunch of American nerds and animators could do their own (3D) (pseudo-)anime. Enter RWBY.
RWBY_Cover.jpg

RWBY, RWBY, RWBY, RWBY
Do ya, do ya, do ya, do ya

Taking into account everything that happened until the moment of me writing this, from a point of impartiality it can be said beyond any reasonable doubt that the answer is a resounding no. RWBY harbours themes and concepts that are cool in theory and on paper, but are sadly never utilized to their fullest potential. The plot itself is as much of an unholy mess as an Ellen Ripley clone, the canon has went through more retcons and confusions than the Bible and the writing is abysmal even by shitty web series standards. While the writing has always been on the wrong side of the chromosome count, it is mostly agreed that things started to go to hell since season 3. The following video is a TL;DR for those unfamiliar with the series itself, or who repressed their memories, that explains things in more eloquent ways that I could:

How much of an impact the death of the show's creator Monty Oum had is a matter of debate. What can be stated beyond reasonable doubt however is that the show's woes stem from the unprecedentedly incompetent writing duo consisting of Miles Luna and Kerry Shawcross, the former especially distinguishing himself above and beyond the call of duty of being a sped. Things have as a matter of fact gone so wrong, that one of the few things keeping the show alive is the shipping, which BTW is both teased and encouraged by both the writers and some of the voice actors. You might have even heard some of these ships such as Bumblebee (Blake x Yang), White Rose (Ruby x Weiss), Black Sun (Blake x Sun) and so on. I don't know if it's the fact that each pairing has a (semi-)official name or that I even know them that hurts my soul the most.

To finally end this wall of assburgers, it should lastly be mentioned that after financially taking it in the ass, and not even in the Greek way, Rooster Teeth had its biggest lay-offs putting RWBY's future initially in question. In recent (as of me writing this) news however, further seasons have been greenlit. While RWBY might be safe for now, one can not tell what the future holds. Maybe Miles Luna will find Jesus, come back to Earth and unfuck himself and start salvaging what can be salvaged better way too late than never, or maybe the words of the Kaiser Chiefs might prove prophetic after all.

587px-Hindenburg_disaster.jpg

Due to lack of interest
Tomorrow is canceled
Let the clocks be reset and the pendulums held
'Cause there's nothing at all 'cept the space in between
Finding out what you're called and repeating your name
RWBY, RWBY, RWBY, RWBY...

Links
Vexed Viewer’s channel for those interested in episodic reviews
adel aka’s YouTube channel for general RWBY sperging
fatmanfalling's YouTube channel for episodic/seasonal reviews, spergery and the Abridged... (Sort Of) series
Mercury Black's YouTube channel for RWBY on Crack and other funny videos
Anime Outsiders podcast episode on RWBY
Thread on the humanoid vulture that is Monty Oum’s widow
Shane Newville’s letter

Last edited:

Roland Daggett

President of Daggett Industries
kiwifarms.net
Excellent a thread dedicated to RWBY.

While the Monty Volumes are good even they have some issues that could have been ironed out had an actual writer been on board. Miles and Kerry were just glorified interns that got thrown at Monty when he needed help writing. They didn't know how to write a story (which is abundantly clear from the crappy seasons they've written) and didn't know how to help Monty refine his ideas. There are some issues with worldbuilding that Monty definitely had ideas for but he needed someone to be there to help him write those out properly.

Filthy Greenskin

screaming green fungus born yesterday
kiwifarms.net
I only got as far as the end of the first season and was still following RvB at the time and while I haven't seen the later series, the whole first season just seemed to be your average fighting-school shoenen schlock which isn't necessarily bad. The animation was what it was and the fight scenes were well-choreographed, I will say that while I haven't seen any of the non-Monty material, the seasons of RvB he wrote was some of the most boring to me and RWBY seemed to follow in the same footsteps of unimaginative and somewhat contrived (wow all four girls names form the initials of the show which also is the name of the protagonist! Girl who acts a weird turns out to not be a girl at all but actually very cool robot!) tropes but hey, I've watched worse and it was clearly a fan project that I could at least see real passion being poured into.

But goddamn, the voice acting really was nails on a chalkboard for me. I don't watch dubs because there's only so many California squeaky-voices I can stomach but damn I felt they didn't even try to get half-decent voices in the booth and just got anyone from the office to talk into a mic.

Like I said, this is only from a first season perspective so maybe they ironed all this stuff out later on. Seemed to have gotten more traction than Gen:Lock at least.

OneHandClapping

Shamefur dispray
kiwifarms.net
For those who are unaware of Monty Oum's previous work, he created an animated short called Haloid in 2007:
As cool as Haloid was, I remember Dead Fantasy more. It helps there were 6 episodes.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
I tried watching the first few episodes back in high school and I just plain didn't like it. I know I can't be too hard on the animation given that it was independently produced and it's basically a web-animation and that I should temper my expectations, but I found it really off-putting. I also found the dialogue to be cringe-inducing and a major reason why it didn't click with me.

That said, I've always found the behind-the-scenes drama to be utterly fascinating, like the whole thing with Monty's girlfriend adopting a cat despite him being deathly allergic to cats and may in fact have caused his death. I find that stuff so much more interesting than the actual show itself.

5t3n0g0ph3r

Resident Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Random Internet Person

If you can read this, Cloudflare is doing its job.
kiwifarms.net
Also, if you wanna laugh/rage some more, or put more thought into something that probably doesn’t deserve it, internet shows have had RWBY characters fight. A lot.

Last edited:

Jewelsmakerguy

(Cheesy 80s music intensifies)
kiwifarms.net
RWBY's always been a clusterfuck of okayish ideas and bad-to-awful execution. Even with the increase in animation quality and runtime they're still falling way too short. And Season 7 doesn't really change that from what I've seen. And those new designs from that trailer suck ass.

As an aside, I hold no hope for what they'll do with that Netflix Transformers webseries they've been given. Since Hasbro seems to be really hands off about what happens in their shows and movies outside of "advertise these characters please." After all, if that Jem movie and the Bayformers films exist, Hasbro will probably allow whatever RT will do.

Last edited:

Random Internet Person

If you can read this, Cloudflare is doing its job.
kiwifarms.net
Also worth mentioning, Shane Newville’s letter. Shane Newville was a RT animator and Monty’s right hand man and was fired shortly after Monty died. The short of it is Shane accuses RT of changing things shortly after Monty was put into the ground and fan opinion of this is all over the place and some have painted this from “they’re not going by Monty’s vision” to “they’re ruining Monty’s magnum opus”. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-H0KuOwKFYwZTJxbXg0SG5CTEE/view

CheezzyMach

Hulkamania Brother!
kiwifarms.net
RWBY itself is fairly unremarkable to me but it is interesting to see the fanbase go into CIvil War over the creeping SJW shit Miles and friends keep adding to the series.

Personally I get a kick out of Yang who's supposed to be the "fan service sexy party girl" character getting covered up in later seasons.

Roland Daggett

President of Daggett Industries
kiwifarms.net
Also worth mentioning, Shane Newville’s letter. Shane Newville was a RT animator and Monty’s right hand man and was fired shortly after Monty died. The short of it is Shane accuses RT of changing things shortly after Monty was put into the ground and fan opinion of this is all over the place and some have painted this from “they’re not going by Monty’s vision” to “they’re ruining Monty’s magnum opus”. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-H0KuOwKFYwZTJxbXg0SG5CTEE/view
I came into RWBY a while after the letter came out and I heard stans claim Shane was mentally unstable and a horrible person and all that junk. Not only did I find Shane to sound completely reasonable when I read it but time has validated him against the RT shills. The things that Shane spoke about really sound like the kind of petty schoolyard drama RT has been involved with, and given how Miles has hijacked RWBY for his own ego stroking I do not doubt they changed everything Monty wanted. I already believed it cause I've thought RT have been awful people for years but especially with the Vic stuff I think that only supports Shane's letter.

Personally I get a kick out of Yang who's supposed to be the "fan service sexy party girl" character getting covered up in later seasons.
They got woke af and realized that having a beautiful woman who is proud of her body is like totally not feminist or whatever. I find it hilarious too that Yang is covered up in these gaudy outfits which are the antithesis of her original design.

5t3n0g0ph3r

Resident Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I came into RWBY a while after the letter came out and I heard stans claim Shane was mentally unstable and a horrible person and all that junk. Not only did I find Shane to sound completely reasonable when I read it but time has validated him against the RT shills. The things that Shane spoke about really sound like the kind of petty schoolyard drama RT has been involved with, and given how Miles has hijacked RWBY for his own ego stroking I do not doubt they changed everything Monty wanted. I already believed it cause I've thought RT have been awful people for years but especially with the Vic stuff I think that only supports Shane's letter.
That and the drama between Barbara Dunkelman and ‎Kathleen Zuelch.

Fougaro

Glow in the dark K/DA Popstar
kiwifarms.net
RWBY itself is fairly unremarkable to me but it is interesting to see the fanbase go into CIvil War over the creeping SJW shit Miles and friends keep adding to the series.
To be honest I wasn't aware of that. I knew the fans, or FNDM as they are referred, are at each others' throats when it comes to shipping.

If RWBY was an unironically good show, I would unironically call Yang the best girl.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Marco Fucko

CheezzyMach

Hulkamania Brother!
kiwifarms.net
They got woke af and realized that having a beautiful woman who is proud of her body is like totally not feminist or whatever. I find it hilarious too that Yang is covered up in these gaudy outfits which are the antithesis of her original design.
What's even funnier is watching RVB and seeing shit like Donut and the politically incorrect humor in the show.

Makes me laugh at Miles acting like a good SJW on Twitter now. Assuming RT doesn't go tits up in 5 years it'll be fun to see these speds drop SJWism when it goes out of fashion just like they dropped politically incorrect atheism.
To be honest I wasn't aware of that. I knew the fans, or FNDM as they are referred, are at each others' throats when it comes to shipping.

If RWBY was an unironically good show, I would unironically call Yang the best girl.
When I still paid attention to Weeb Wars I checked out Hero Hei's channel, it's full of videos complaining about the direction the show's taken in it's last few seasons.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino