RWBY - The Hindenburg on which Rooster Teeth rests its hopes, dreams and future

You call it Penny being a MIden being Trans, I call it this show playing fast and loose with the rules for powers, if they were ever there to begin with. 32E83B14-C283-4869-B99C-E1AC917912A2.jpeg

Xenomorphs Are Cute

kiwifarms.net
You call it Penny being a MIden being Trans, I call it this show playing fast and loose with the rules for powers, if they were ever there to begin with. View attachment 1678870
May? You mean that rando that became trans JUST A DAY AFTER their company's 3rd (I think?) layoff was leaked.

Also, a robot could be fucking anything one wants, that's the very concept of man-made being. That's like a female sex-doll having a strap-on doesn't mean it becomes a male sex-doll.

You know another bad thing that starts with "T"? Tumblr

madethistocomment

welcome to god's mosh pit
kiwifarms.net
You call it Penny being a MIden being Trans, I call it this show playing fast and loose with the rules for powers, if they were ever there to begin with. View attachment 1678870
I still find it stupid that Penny literally has a male soul rattling around inside her and she can still become a Maiden. Aren't those powers only supposed to go to female souls? Or does this imply that the powers only care about what body you have, not what's on the inside?

RT really got themselves stuck between a rock and a hard place. They either break their lore even more than before (and in a breathtakingly stupid way at that), or they make the twitter troons screech and be labelled as unwoke. Either way they go, I'm laughing.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
I still find it stupid that Penny literally has a male soul rattling around inside her and she can still become a Maiden. Aren't those powers only supposed to go to female souls? Or does this imply that the powers only care about what body you have, not what's on the inside?

RT really got themselves stuck between a rock and a hard place. They either break their lore even more than before (and in a breathtakingly stupid way at that), or they make the twitter troons screech and be labelled as unwoke. Either way they go, I'm laughing.

It also creates the issue wherein the solution to the Maiden problem would to be, effectively, just create 4 robots who will effectively live forever.

It's honestly shocking that this wasn't the solution already.

Arachnophile

"Stupid, sexy, spidergirls."
kiwifarms.net
It also creates the issue wherein the solution to the Maiden problem would to be, effectively, just create 4 robots who will effectively live forever.

The hilarious part is that from Pietro's throwaway line about putting part of his Aura into Penny to repair her, Miles and Kerry have made Penny out to be such a bigger deal to the world of Remnant than her initial introduction. Penny is, as far as I can tell through implication, a perfectly sapient cybernetic organism, incorporating human spirit and Aura (with the potential for a Semblance, not that she needs it since she's the Winter Maiden now) with all the enhancements and precision of a computer. She's practically the Ultimate Life Form at this point. It annoys me to no end that Penny might be one of the most interesting characters in the entire show, perhaps even more interesting than Team RWBY, and she was completely sidelined for three whole seasons

If you can allow yourself to think back all the way to the beginning of Season 3, there's an incredibly heartfelt scene where Penny runs away in shock from Atlas displaying some of their latest and greatest military robots (of peace). Ruby chases after her, and witnesses her stop a truck with her bare hands. The implications here, from this exchange and Penny's subsequent confession to Ruby (that she's a robot) are meant to imply that Penny is deeply afraid of being compared to one of Atlas' mindless killing machines. Ruby immediately reassures her that it doesn't matter if she's made of nuts and bolts, she's still a unique individual. This was a very simple plot thread, with a good setup to an age-old trope of what the line is between a machine and an anime schoolgirl, and they just dropped the ball yet again.

Dumpster dived waifu

Sieg heil mein waifu
kiwifarms.net

See, what Miles and Kerry were going for here is that it's not your brain that troons out, it's your soul, and the old man that made penny definitely wears programmer socks and wishes his dick would turn into a well so he could get fucked by big strong men on the regular.

madethistocomment

welcome to god's mosh pit
kiwifarms.net
The hilarious part is that from Pietro's throwaway line about putting part of his Aura into Penny to repair her, Miles and Kerry have made Penny out to be such a bigger deal to the world of Remnant than her initial introduction. Penny is, as far as I can tell through implication, a perfectly sapient cybernetic organism, incorporating human spirit and Aura (with the potential for a Semblance, not that she needs it since she's the Winter Maiden now) with all the enhancements and precision of a computer. She's practically the Ultimate Life Form at this point. It annoys me to no end that Penny might be one of the most interesting characters in the entire show, perhaps even more interesting than Team RWBY, and she was completely sidelined for three whole seasons

If you can allow yourself to think back all the way to the beginning of Season 3, there's an incredibly heartfelt scene where Penny runs away in shock from Atlas displaying some of their latest and greatest military robots (of peace). Ruby chases after her, and witnesses her stop a truck with her bare hands. The implications here, from this exchange and Penny's subsequent confession to Ruby (that she's a robot) are meant to imply that Penny is deeply afraid of being compared to one of Atlas' mindless killing machines. Ruby immediately reassures her that it doesn't matter if she's made of nuts and bolts, she's still a unique individual. This was a very simple plot thread, with a good setup to an age-old trope of what the line is between a machine and an anime schoolgirl, and they just dropped the ball yet again.
I'm pretty bummed at the fact that when they brought Penny back, she acted exactly the same as she did before she died. While she is a robot, she does have her own soul, and that's what makes her so "human." A soul is something unique and irreplaceable. It's what makes you who you are, and you can't re-create it like you can with the rest of Penny. When a soul is gone, it's gone, and it's never coming back. When Penny died in the arena, that version of her should have died as well.

She should have come back different, since she has a new soul (or at least part of one) inside her now. Maybe she could take after Pietro more and act more motherly and is more of an intellectual than the first Penny- just something to establish that despite appearances, this isn't the same girl who died in that arena. It would give her death some gravitas, some finality to it, and keep the stakes at least somewhat high (or at least as high as you can get in this plot armor-riddled mess).

By just bringing her the exact same as she was before, it really cheapens her original death. It establishes that at least for Penny, death is just a small obstacle and not a finality, not something that actually raises the stakes. She can just be rebuilt, after all! It's so cheap, safe, and boring. But that's all they do with RWBY anymore, so I can't act surprised.

Last edited:

You know, the aspects of the action is so bad, that the disregard for power rules completely makes you overlook how they failed to integrate the action with the story to make things practical. Not only is the writing very first draft, it's very clear a lot of things were never set up because their only plan was to have Monty just come in and work his magic and let everyone watch as everything would just fall into place.

Disc

Corruption in the CD-Rom
kiwifarms.net
Some of this sounds reasonable (without specific context, I haven't watched anything but fatmanfalling since penny died the first time tbh) but then it just degrades to 'THE LETTER T MEANS IT'S A CLEARLY VEILED TRANS INSULT BECAUSE IT'S THE SAME AS ALL THE OTHER T SLURS'. No, it's a thing people use on robotic characters to insult their humanity and also specifically their purpose. Not to mention all the 'trans female' insults that are just male insults with contextual extra sting.

Like, if we're playing the 'it's got a T prominently in it so it's trans insults' i can think of plenty more examples that i think of just as prominently with the word T. Trump, TERF, Turd...

Anyway, to sum up my reaction to this.

1tv0m3.gif

LordBaron

kiwifarms.net
The problem with that whole Penny thing is that it's obvious that they're going with the "she's a real girl" thing because Pinocchio, but they're going out of their way to say that, no, Penny is actually trans and that's what they meant by "she's a real girl".

Like, I get that you didn't get your Trans-Nora backstory and Fair Game was never the MLM ship you fantasized about, but you don't need to take what was a literary concept and turn it into some sort of social justice thing.

This also ironically means that "Penny is really Pietro" is true in their books.

Chilson

kiwifarms.net
Maybe this is a point the defenders have for once. Except all Blake bad conflicting with V4 was “I was raised outside the kingdoms”.

Its hard to have a point when canon is this fucked in the head. We have two very different Blakes, Disney island princess Blake and orphan rebel Blake. The show is desperately trying to have both, but having both is impossible because they conflict too hard to create a believable character. If commitment was made to one of these two backstories, then you could have a....less confused character that is slightly less awful.

HumanHive

Human behavior is exceptional behavior.
kiwifarms.net
Last time I checked, souls are not used to determine gender. Chromosomes are. And in Penny’s case, female programming.