RWBY - The Hindenburg on which Rooster Teeth rests its hopes, dreams and future

But again they're really nothing special that hasn't already been done a million times before by shitty paint by numbers anime trash.

Besides Monty's fight scenes tend to look like someone bashing action figures together.
Its an American internet web anime, something that has been tried a lot and has crashed and burned just as many times. Seeing it done semi-competently is something people had never seen before. Mix it with Rooster teeth being at the height of their popularity + some very well done trailers and you have a hit.

I think people are really overstating how popular Monty was. His name and popularity was really niche before the RWBY trailers where he started popping off. You can even see this by the shoe string budget and lack of animators the first season had that RT didn't have a lot of confidence in the project until they started seeing the numbers the trailers + first season generated and poured money into it for season 2 onward (which did help for volumes 2 & 3).

RWBY was better in volumes 1-3, but never good. It had passion though, which good or bad is something most people admire and subconsciously seek out in media. Similar to the Room, which is a trash-fire, but a passionate trash-fire that many people can't help admiring in a way.

I think people are really overstating how popular Monty was. His name and popularity was really niche before the RWBY trailers where he started popping off. You can even see this by the shoe string budget and lack of animators the first season had that RT didn't have a lot of confidence in the project until they started seeing the numbers the trailers + first season generated and poured money into it for season 2 onward (which did help for volumes 2 & 3).

RWBY was better in volumes 1-3, but never good. It had passion though, which good or bad is something most people admire and subconsciously seek out in media. Similar to the Room, which is a trash-fire, but a passionate trash-fire that many people can't help admiring in a way.
I get that point, but the thing is that how far could Monty's passion carry RWBY if he was alive? Also, Monty dying made his time overseeing the show look probably better than it actually is, especially compared to what happened after he kicked the bucket. Lots of people will probably tell you RWBY peaked in V3.

I get that point, but the thing is that how far could Monty's passion carry RWBY if he was alive? Also, Monty dying made his time overseeing the show look probably better than it actually is, especially compared to what happened after he kicked the bucket. Lots of people will probably tell you RWBY peaked in V3.
I am not saying Monty did a good job, just that there was clear passion in the work. I even say it was never good, but the passion and potential is what sold people on the premise.

I am not saying Monty did a good job, just that there was clear passion in the work. I even say it was never good, but the passion and potential is what sold people on the premise.
I agree. I'm just saying that Monty dying an untimely death probably made people see the Beacon arc with rose colored glasses, especially since it's right next to a bigger pile of shit, that smells much worse, and doesn't have Monty buried under it.

stupidpieceofshit

Panzer Vor, Motherfuckers
True & Honest Fan
I agree. I'm just saying that Monty dying an untimely death probably made people see the Beacon arc with rose colored glasses, especially since it's right next to a bigger pile of shit, that smells much worse, and doesn't have Monty buried under it.
Maybe, but when it comes to Rosterteeth and anime I fall more in the normie side (I only watched RvB in the mid to late 00s, I am not super in to anime even if I have an anime character as my avatar).
When I first watched RWBY last year I heard of it in passing (some former coworkers from years ago kept trying to get me to watch it, I never did), and I knew the creator was dead but other wise went in blind. Season 1 was...odd...2 and 3 were fun and had something to them even if not perfect (basically you could see the passion behind it, and its something that draws people even if its something bad). The others were bearable more or less, what got me to stop was last season's election plot, admitly I want to actually see where RWBY goes at this point but some of the election stuff just broke me, but its kind of more so because they were failing horrible at a subject I have a background in (political systems).

I do honestly think Monty's death did take away a lot from RWBY (I didn't know when he died related to RWBY when I did my first viewing), when him gone it slowly got worse and worse in some way that is hard for me to quantify outside of "Cool fights got less and less" and "RoosterTeeth made the same mistake Lucas did in thinking people cared a lot for the actual politics of their universe". In some ways to me yes you can tell at somepoint and somehow the passion for the project was lost...if the passion was there we might be looking at The Room or Birdemic levels of "So bad its good" instead we get bland stuff that to me (with the last season) was more out of a feeling of commitment then passion.

Maybe, but when it comes to Rosterteeth and anime I fall more in the normie side (I only watched RvB in the mid to late 00s, I am not super in to anime even if I have an anime character as my avatar).
When I first watched RWBY last year I heard of it in passing (some former coworkers from years ago kept trying to get me to watch it, I never did), and I knew the creator was dead but other wise went in blind. Season 1 was...odd...2 and 3 were fun and had something to them even if not perfect (basically you could see the passion behind it, and its something that draws people even if its something bad). The others were bearable more or less, what got me to stop was last season's election plot, admitly I want to actually see where RWBY goes at this point but some of the election stuff just broke me, but its kind of more so because they were failing horrible at a subject I have a background in (political systems).

I do honestly think Monty's death did take away a lot from RWBY (I didn't know when he died related to RWBY when I did my first viewing), when him gone it slowly got worse and worse in some way that is hard for me to quantify outside of "Cool fights got less and less" and "RoosterTeeth made the same mistake Lucas did in thinking people cared a lot for the actual politics of their universe". In some ways to me yes you can tell at somepoint and somehow the passion for the project was lost...if the passion was there we might be looking at The Room or Birdemic levels of "So bad its good" instead we get bland stuff that to me (with the last season) was more out of a feeling of commitment then passion.
In case you were wondering, Monty died when V3 was in production, which was when the show pretty much started its bigger plot in earnest. And honestly, I guess you're onto something about the election arc. If anything, there's a lot of shit in RWBY that if you dive into it, there needed to be more building and development.

Random Dyke

A Certain Scientific Lesbian
In case you were wondering, Monty died when V3 was in production, which was when the show pretty much started its bigger plot in earnest. And honestly, I guess you're onto something about the election arc. If anything, there's a lot of shit in RWBY that if you dive into it, there needed to be more building and development.
Like the Faunus/racism plotline that failed horribly...
As I said before if they really wanted to milk the shit out of an LGBT pairing just because, y'know, pandering... I did say Freezerburn would be a good idea, but Monochrome had the possibility of knocking it out of the ballpark.
You got the heiress (who's initially pretty racist) to a monopoly that is notorious for abusing its Faunus workers (as seen with Adam's eye) + an ex-member of a terrorist organization fighting for the rights of those Faunus and BAM! That would've been cool.
But no, they had to do Bumbleby instead. Maybe because it was easier since they could excuse them being alone together since they're partners in battle. RT would've had to separate Weiss from Ruby and Blake from Yang which was way too much effort for them!
Come ON Rooster Teeth. How the fuck does Blake interact more with Weiss before the Bumbleby vs. Adam episodes?! Weiss and Blake were doing very well together too. Meanwhile, weren't Blake and Yang fighting the whole damn Volume??? I would expect Blake to be holding Weiss's hand, not Yang's. lol
700d2108a2c781d8abb799f5ed299f4b.gif

The legend himself "adel aka" addresses this topic better than I ever could.
check out his video

Like the Faunus/racism plotline that failed horribly...
As I said before if they really wanted to milk the shit out of an LGBT pairing just because, y'know, pandering... I did say Freezerburn would be a good idea, but Monochrome had the possibility of knocking it out of the ballpark.
You got the heiress (who's initially pretty racist) to a monopoly that is notorious for abusing its Faunus workers (as seen with Adam's eye) + an ex-member of a terrorist organization fighting for the rights of those Faunus and BAM! That would've been cool.
But no, they had to do Bumbleby instead. Maybe because it was easier since they could excuse them being alone together since they're partners in battle. RT would've had to separate Weiss from Ruby and Blake from Yang which was way too much effort for them!
Come ON Rooster Teeth. How the fuck does Blake interact more with Weiss before the Bumbleby vs. Adam episodes?! Weiss and Blake were doing very well together too. Meanwhile, weren't Blake and Yang fighting the whole damn Volume??? I would expect Blake to be holding Weiss's hand, not Yang's. lol
View attachment 1942063
The legend himself "adel aka" addresses this topic better than I ever could.
check out his video
But that would leave Ruby with Yang and people aren't woke enough to start deciding incest is okay.

I Love Beef

OH YEAHHUH, SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM
I think the saddest thing is that he didn't find anyone to synergize with to create his world to be as awesome as his choreography. The worldbuilding of RWBY is fairly limited due to the nature of Grimm and how prevalent they are by their drastically ecologically affecting aspects (like being constantly attracted to misery and negativity), and character development is horrid, underdeveloped, and inconsistent. Kerry Shawcross and Miles Luna should had not been chosen in the first place to be writers, or should had been put through more of a regiment to learn how to worldbuild and be consistent in their writing. Not to boast either, but I could probably put out a better world for RWBY if I tried.

personally I think RWBY was always pretty bad. IIRC part 5 is the worst part by a good margin, but outside of that, parts 1-3 fall in line with the other parts pretty easily. if not being worse then some later parts. I think a lot of appeal in the early seasons was narrative mysteries and exploring a new world etc. a lot of this appeal has since been let down as it's gone on, so without the appeal of mystery, worldbuilding, potential character arcs, parts 1-3 in my opinion are just left as these poorly written but well animated fight scenes in some usually pretty bad set pieces with minimal plot in between outside of some set up, that's mostly been let down as they show went on.

Arachnophile

"Stupid, sexy, spidergirls."
Or, and hear me out on this one I understand it's a bit out there, but maybe, just maybe, it's not necessary to pair characters off into relationships.
Seriously; it makes me wonder how teams at this academy ever function when everyone's too busy trying to maul each other's privates. Team STRQ fell apart due to a love triangle between TaiYang, Summer, and Raven. Team JNPR has Pyrah thirsting after Jaune, and Nora thirsting after Ren. Now Team RWBY's getting it's own lesbian couple as well. Can't say too much about Team CFVY but it wouldn't surprise me if Coco and Velvet are hooking up on the regular. Maybe putting four teenagers together in a co-ed dorm for four years wasn't the best idea? Or is this what Ozpin wanted all along?

Seriously; it makes me wonder how teams at this academy ever function when everyone's too busy trying to maul each other's privates. Team STRQ fell apart due to a love triangle between TaiYang, Summer, and Raven. Team JNPR has Pyrah thirsting after Jaune, and Nora thirsting after Ren. Now Team RWBY's getting it's own lesbian couple as well. Can't say too much about Team CFVY but it wouldn't surprise me if Coco and Velvet are hooking up on the regular. Maybe putting four teenagers together in a co-ed dorm for four years wasn't the best idea? Or is this what Ozpin wanted all along?
If this were written by someone else (or a trash shipper), perhaps the unregulated fraternization is supposed to encourage positive emotions since Grimm are attracted to the negatives. Of course, there is the inevitable surge of negative emotions when things go awry but they might be taught ways of coping or moving on rather than dwell and become a Grimm magnet.

Or maybe motivate students fighting against monsters that have ravaged sentient beings since creation because anime tropes like using love as either a power or motivator.

Of course, if the rating was higher then this wouldn't even matter.

If this were written by someone else (or a trash shipper), perhaps the unregulated fraternization is supposed to encourage positive emotions since Grimm are attracted to the negatives. Of course, there is the inevitable surge of negative emotions when things go awry but they might be taught ways of coping or moving on rather than dwell and become a Grimm magnet.

Or maybe motivate students fighting against monsters that have ravaged sentient beings since creation because anime tropes like using love as either a power or motivator.

Of course, if the rating was higher then this wouldn't even matter.
Aside from the fact that the STRQ thing changed because Raven fucked off (how Summer entered the picture between Tai having Yang and Ruby isn't stated), I think the show stated (or it was on the wiki) that Ozpin likes teamwork and that's why Beacon has teams. Also, the Grimm and negative emotions really feels like an anchor on things, and that's probably why they got away from it, if that was even a thing to begin with, because otherwise Remnant would be a freaking dystopia.

Effluvium

Pirate sites are your friend.
I still can't wrap my head around at how blitheringly retarded Hazel's "motive" is.

Oh, but he was "emotionally unstable", the dumbass fans will say.

No, bud. I would never join the same terrorist cell that bombed my family because the government is full of shit. That defeats the whole point and wouldn't make my situation any better.

Even if you put into account that Ozpin's "methods" are part of the larger reason as to why, that's still complete horseshit considering he could have done ANYTHING ELSE BESIDES JOINING THE BAD GUY HUGELY IN CONTROL OF THE VERY THINGS THAT KILLED HER IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I still can't wrap my head around at how blitheringly retarded Hazel's "motive" is.

Oh, but he was "emotionally unstable", the dumbass fans will say.

No, bud. I would never join the same terrorist cell that bombed my family because the government is full of shit. That defeats the whole point and wouldn't make my situation any better.

Even if you put into account that Ozpin's "methods" are part of the larger reason as to why, that's still complete horseshit considering he could have done ANYTHING ELSE BESIDES JOINING THE BAD GUY HUGELY IN CONTROL OF THE VERY THINGS THAT KILLED HER IN THE FIRST PLACE.
The best way you could rewrite it is having something like the Beast of Darkness from Berserk where Hazel is consumed by his hatred of Ozpin and his system, and his system and his desire for revenge, which includes Salem acting on, feeding, and egging on that resentment, if not Grimmifying him in exchange for loyalty and means. And going all in on Ozpin’s less savory parts. But that requires writing Ozpin from the start as more than some able bodied anime Professor X.