RWBY - The Hindenburg on which Rooster Teeth rests its hopes, dreams and future

Arachnophile

"Stupid, sexy, spidergirls."
kiwifarms.net
For as much criticism one can level against this season, my biggest compliment is that the show finally has a compelling villain again. Watching Ironwood's slow dissent into madness trying to protect his kingdom from the immortal witch, only to have his orders continuously backfire because the people he thought he could trust continue to disobey him , has been a wild ride. I won't act like what he's doing is morally right or justified, but at least I understand his perspective because I got to see it happen gradually. I haven't enjoyed a villain in this show since Torchwick.

8413D165-ED65-4D6B-B4D6-E3A8BB74180A.jpegCB1F6C94-AC24-4FD2-BF04-26FAE7503092.jpeg3922B6EB-1BF4-46D1-BC95-2F8D469017DE.jpeg25DFFCF0-5589-449C-A4E6-52F53B4D1CFF.jpeg0B42B637-0D21-4AF0-9B4D-1262B0ABD29C.jpeg

Chilson

kiwifarms.net
For as much criticism one can level against this season, my biggest compliment is that the show finally has a compelling villain again. Watching Ironwood's slow dissent into madness trying to protect his kingdom from the immortal witch, only to have his orders continuously backfire because the people he thought he could trust continue to disobey him , has been a wild ride. I won't act like what he's doing is morally right or justified, but at least I understand his perspective because I got to see it happen gradually. I haven't enjoyed a villain in this show since Torchwick.
The only issue is that its completely unintentional on the part of the writers (and at this point nonsensical considering Salem is temporarily incapacitated).

madethistocomment

welcome to god's mosh pit
kiwifarms.net
I swear to God, RWBY writers will see people sympathizing with or liking their male villains and saying that they have a point and instead of running with this sympathetic and morally grey character that's fallen into their lap (because no way is that intentional lmfao) they quintuple down and make them Literally Hitler.

They absolutely cannot stand the idea of the audience thinking even slightly differently from the message they're trying to push, and get mad at their audience for doing so.

And then at the same time they'll take genuinely evil female characters like Salem and Cinder and make them cry every now and again in some failed attempt to make the audience pity them and give themselves a backdoor for the inevitable redemption arc, and act baffled when people don't like them and want to see them dead. They only do this for the female villains-if a character has a dick, they're bound to be thrown to the wolves while women far worse than them get coddled. It's ridiculous and so utterly blatant.

AceTriad

kiwifarms.net
I swear to God, RWBY writers will see people sympathizing with or liking their male villains and saying that they have a point and instead of running with this sympathetic and morally grey character that's fallen into their lap (because no way is that intentional lmfao) they quintuple down and make them Literally Hitler.

They absolutely cannot stand the idea of the audience thinking even slightly differently from the message they're trying to push, and get mad at their audience for doing so.

And then at the same time they'll take genuinely evil female characters like Salem and Cinder and make them cry every now and again in some failed attempt to make the audience pity them and give themselves a backdoor for the inevitable redemption arc, and act baffled when people don't like them and want to see them dead. They only do this for the female villains-if a character has a dick, they're bound to be thrown to the wolves while women far worse than them get coddled. It's ridiculous and so utterly blatant.
Ah yes, the soft bigotry of low expectations. Granted it's happened before IRL and in other fictional media, but for a company so progressive as RT to make female characters the only
focal characters worth giving a damn/redeemable, or the only ones morally in the right. If you're so afraid of making your waifus look bad by making them do villain things, then don't have them be assholes in the first place! Either all the characters go ~uwu I am the sympathetic ones uwu~, or they're all the embodiment of evil.

Enough of the double standards of shitting on the male characters and hoisting the female ones on a pedestal based on their gender alone. It's not progressive nor forward thinking - it's ass-backwards, discriminatory, and leads to illogical decision making on the story.

WinchesterPremium

Molṑn lolí
kiwifarms.net

Ah yes, the soft bigotry of low expectations. Granted it's happened before IRL and in other fictional media, but for a company so progressive as RT to make female characters the only
focal characters worth giving a damn/redeemable, or the only ones morally in the right. If you're so afraid of making your waifus look bad by making them do villain things, then don't have them be assholes in the first place! Either all the characters go ~uwu I am the sympathetic ones uwu~, or they're all the embodiment of evil.

Enough of the double standards of shitting on the male characters and hoisting the female ones on a pedestal based on their gender alone. It's not progressive nor forward thinking - it's ass-backwards, discriminatory, and leads to illogical decision making on the story.

I'll play devil's advocate here just for lolz. There are several times men get redemption arks or forgiven for their crimes just because. Chronologically we start out with Jeane, who blatantly cheats and almost gets himself killed as his biggest crime and this just kinda...gets dropped. It gets mentioned only one more time and in a way that is suggest it wasn't a valid point. Wiess's little brother gets a short redemption ark for his terrible crime of keeping his head down and being kind of a jerk. Hanzel got a redemption ark and was clearly always going to get one, being roughly in the same position as whatever that green haired character's name is. Sun commits petty crimes for no reason and everyone just forgets about it. Oz is also getting a redemption ark for the crime of being mysterious. That Dog aceop is next to Winter in terms of probably-redemption.

The real problem is, like discussed in the last couple of pages, nothing really has any impact. Cheating your way into school is just a plot point that gets ignored after the plot chain is over. So it flies under the radar more than Cinder and Salem who have at least done something impactful in killing off a popular main character. Chameleon Girl stabbing Sun also didn't have any impact, so it is easy for everyone to forgive/forget her. Green girl's biggest crime was murdering Penny but since that got undone all the impact from that is also retroactively gone.

Xenomorphs Are Cute

kiwifarms.net
I'll play devil's advocate here just for lolz. There are several times men get redemption arks or forgiven for their crimes just because. Chronologically we start out with Jeane, who blatantly cheats and almost gets himself killed as his biggest crime and this just kinda...gets dropped. It gets mentioned only one more time and in a way that is suggest it wasn't a valid point. Wiess's little brother gets a short redemption ark for his terrible crime of keeping his head down and being kind of a jerk. Hanzel got a redemption ark and was clearly always going to get one, being roughly in the same position as whatever that green haired character's name is. Sun commits petty crimes for no reason and everyone just forgets about it. Oz is also getting a redemption ark for the crime of being mysterious. That Dog aceop is next to Winter in terms of probably-redemption.

The real problem is, like discussed in the last couple of pages, nothing really has any impact. Cheating your way into school is just a plot point that gets ignored after the plot chain is over. So it flies under the radar more than Cinder and Salem who have at least done something impactful in killing off a popular main character. Chameleon Girl stabbing Sun also didn't have any impact, so it is easy for everyone to forgive/forget her. Green girl's biggest crime was murdering Penny but since that got undone all the impact from that is also retroactively gone.
Jaune could be considered a bit of an exception due to him literally being Miles OC

Berrakh

kiwifarms.net
This story was written by the kind of people who argued with me on forums about anime. Consequence is unimportant if you are given some form of exposition telling you to care.

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
Well now that we know he nukes Mantle and kills hundreds, I guess the real questions are of "How does it happen" and "where do we go from here?" Does he also do something that threatens the heroes' lives too? Because I want to see something like him threatening Winter, then Weiss coming in to protect her. And unlike Haven, she dies for realizes because Ironwood has the others arrested and sentenced for execution as he himself dies because of Qrow, Robyn and/or Cinder. I also expect Penny to be killed for good too.

But this being Rooster Teeth, I'm not holding out much hope for much, if any, of that to happen.