RWBY - The Hindenburg on which Rooster Teeth rests its hopes, dreams and future

Sleazy Car Salesman

Believe me when I say that I will take your money
kiwifarms.net
Now that it's free has anyone watched the RWBY DnD campaign? I doubt the game itself is interesting, but maybe the homebrew shit they added to the campaign itself could be salvageable.
The Records of Remnant series?

EDIT: Just drop me a link, I've got some spare time I'll give it a watch.

Tism the Return

( ^ U ^ )
kiwifarms.net
The Records of Remnant series?

EDIT: Just drop me a link, I've got some spare time I'll give it a watch.

It's just the first season that out there for free, but you're a real homie for taking the bullet.

Sleazy Car Salesman

kiwifarms.net

It's just the first season that out there for free, but you're a real homie for taking the bullet.
Thanks, don't expect anything fancy like clipping and what not, best you're gonna get out of me is timestamps.

Dr. Pasquale

Harvard PhD
kiwifarms.net
Can anyone here answer me if there is any redeeming quality to RWBY?

Like anything that could possibly be used as a legitimate reason to enjoy the show?

I only ever watched a couple episodes of the first season back when it came out forever ago and it looked like trash, I never heard anyone with half decent taste say anything good about it, the show gets shit on even by breadtubers like hbomb, and yet there's like 8 (I think) seasons of it and multiple videogames

Is it just another product of clown world?

Sleazy Car Salesman

kiwifarms.net
I just finished episode 1 and we're going to break this down episode by episode.

I am a Grognard, I've been playing TTRPGs of all kinds for about twenty years, and I have played every edition of D&D at least once, I do not like watching others play TTRPG and especially not D&D, I do not like Critical Role or shows like Critical Role. I am in no way the target audience for this. I am however a big proponent of homebrew of all kinds, I enjoy settings rules and systems that people tweak and modify themselves and I wholeheartedly encourage creativity in the hobby. most of the things i post here are going to be petty nitpicks and autistic gripes.

Episode 1 and we are introduced to the players and the party, our intrepid band of Hunters and Huntresses are:

>Asher Mora, played by Chad James. Asher is your typical money grubbing merc type, all about getting payed and everyone and everything else be damned. I'm sure he has some deep dark tragic hidden backstory, can't wait to hear about how he grew up in the mean streets after his parents were killed over protection racket debts or some shit. Asher's weapon is a pair of swordbreakers that double as grappling hooks.
Asher-mora-concept_art.png
>Arrastra Skye, played by Laura Yates. Skye (because fuck typing that first name every time) doesn't get a lot of character development in this session, Laura seems like a timid person and relatively unwilling to talk or engage in RP like the boys are. Skye's backstory is that she comes from a mining family and grew up working multiple mines before becoming a huntress, she's also a faunus with a serval aspect (which is fucking blue for some reason) so I'm expecting some racism in her backstory. Her weapon is a crossbow that doubles as a pick axe.
Skye-art.png
>Pyke Rite, played by thread darling Kerry Shawcross. Pyke is basically Juan but gayer looking and without any of the world weariness. His weapon is a Simonla style arm mounted drill that is also a canon. He transferred schools after one year and "doesn't want to talk about it" so i can't wait to hear that particular bit of wangst.
Pyke-art.png
>Fenix Nemean, played by Chris Kokkinos, the man with far too many K's in his name. Fenix is a lion aspect faunus (Chris instisted on emphasizing the fact that Fenix is a "half-faunus" so one of his parents is a fur nigger lover) which tries his best to encapsulate the "lul so RANDUMB!!!!!!" type of new player that I personally fucking depise. His weapon is a shield that can also shoot like a gun and he has revealed his semblance to be something called "beast mode" which is basically just The Incredible Hulk but with more hair.
Nemean-art.png
>Our DM for this game will be Mr. Eddy Rivas, who is (or at least was) apparently the animation director for RT Studios

The session starts off with a quick add reel for a program called "Tale Spire" which will be our VTT for this campaign and then we move on to character introductions, after being introduced to the characters we are given the campaign set-up by our DM. In the land of Mistral there is a city known as Kuchinashi, a well known den of scum, crime, and just general dickishness, very strange things have been happening in the area though as of late. Hoards of strange Grimm, unexplained happenings, the underworld getting a bit big for their britches and graduating from "Yeah we know they're there but rooting them out would be more trouble than it's worth and frankly half of us are on their payroll" to becoming more brazen in their actions. An SOS call has gone out from the city and a dropship has been dispatched to pick up the Hunters responding to the job token, unusually, four hunters have all accepted the same token for this job. As the party is being flown in they try to get some sleep, except for Fenix, who's just going HAM on a giant bag of tacos that he happens to have with him (lul so randumb). They get a briefing over the dropship's comm system from the one and only Crow Branwen who takes way too long and divulges way too much to basically tell them "Hey, shit's fucked, watch yourselves and trust no one." The message is cut off by a swarm of giant hornet Grimm that mog the dropship and cause it to crash, one of the Grimm steals Fenix's tacos and everyone leaps out of the dropship to save themselves from the crashing hunk of flaming metal and also to rescue the tacos. Succeeding on not dying, and failing to rescue the tacos, they are then assaulted by a lone Beowolf and combat ensues, after defeating their opponent the group does some freeform character RP before setting off to Kuchinashi, the session ends with them at the base of the mountain about to climb up the trecherous path of rope bridges and rickity planks to the city proper.

Now let's get into my bitches, nitpicks, and just general gripes. This was written down as I was watching the episode and so will be very stream of conscience so I will present it as a list, not all of these will be negative btw, they did some things well and I intend to be as fair as possible when sperging out:

>I actually really like this set up, slightly off grid in a den of vipers with no one to count on but yourselves. This is a good set-up for a campaign, and I like what little I have heard of Kuchinashi so far, it seems like a place i may have to add into my big folder of homebrew.
>The character art is atrocious, that's the actual official RT art that I posted above. I don't expect visual quality from RT but come on, at least commission a good artist, $400-500 shouldn't be a problem just to get a proper commission done. I would never bitch about this if it weren't for the fact that this is a media company's professional product.
>I don't like the VTT or the fact that they're playing the game over a face chat, but eh, it was 2020 so it isn't like they had much choice. I'll bitch about why this doesn't work for me when I get to the editing.
>Everything they're doing here feels very unpolished, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. On the plus side this allows the game to feel far more "genuine" and "true to life" compared to something like Critical Role which really turns me off by how polished it is, on the down side I have to ask why I would voluntarily watch a bunch of Rooster teeth B and C listers pal around in a VTT game when I could just be doing the same thing right now.
>Please do not do an add reel in the middle of the game, even if it is brief. Do those at the beginning or the end, preferably the end.
>They went through the trouble of balancing their audio, which is very good and very welcome. I wish more channels that play online sessions equalized mic outputs so that one player isn't blasting my fucking eardrums out. Good on you RT.
>Why are we doing separate character intros OOC? Just play the game and the more you interact IC the more you and the audience will come to know you.
>The players and the DM really need to either slow their collective roll when speaking or they need to hire speaking coaches, the constant uh um like ya know out of them is really grating and shows that they really are amateur at this kind of thing, this is even worse if any of these people are doing work as VAs.
>Credit to Chad and Chris, they do character voices. Even if you aren't good at doing a character voice you should always as a player have an audible queue to indicate what is said IC and what is just table talk, so good job there.
>This party is fairly generic, you've got the merc, the unfettered optimist, the tiefling, and the girl who all met in a tavern/caravan. (yes i know they met in a dropship but the set up was functionally identical) There isn't anything wrong with this per se, but hopefully thy will get time to distinguish themselves as the game goes on.
>The "lul randumb" shit with the tacos was grating. It was somewhat funny as an initial set up right away, but I knew it was going to become the joke that goes on too long and it did, that one gag of "Fenix really likes tacos and tacos are good" went through the entire session. At least the session was short.
>The "celebrity cameo" from Crow to set up the campaign was kinda forced. This is a personal gripe but I hate when a setting famous character just gets added into the campaign.
>They're playing in a slightly modified 5e. There is nothing wrong with 5e, but what that hints at to me is that they either wanted to do this campaign as easily and quickly as possible or they're tabletop noobs who got in on the current hype and tabletop revitalization. I'm betting it's the latter based on my next talking point.
>One of the guys rolls a nat 20 on a skill check and everyone starts freaking out over it. That's not how D&D works, nat20 only counts for attack rolls, otherwise the twenty is treated as a twenty, especially in 5e. This is the number one indicator of a know nothing player and one of my biggest personal gripes with teaching newbies at the table.
>The editing on this series blows, the video is 45 minutes long but a session like this probably took at least two and a half hours to play, or at least it would with competent players. When they are rolling I can't see the roll, and when their characters come up no information comes up to inform me about the character who's acting. One thing Critical Role does well is show the little title cards with character info on it so I can keep everyone straight. Pleasse let me see the numbers, this is a game where a bunch of sweaty nerds sit around a table and aggressively do math at each other for six hours.
>When a home rule comes up mid session I don't want it explained then, I either want it explained before the session begins so that I can keep it in mind while watching or just play the game normally and post a write-up on your homerules so that I can read it on my own time. It a TTRPG, I am fully capable and willing to read rules or else I would not be interested enough in the hobby to play and watch others play.
>The homerule they're using for aura is actually pretty competent and well implemented, there's a big asterisk next to that though which is that it's just a copy of a very famous alternate rule for how inspiration works, so while I can give them credit for implementing it well I cannot give them full credit for actually inventing it.
>There is a moment where they transition into their first combat and they don't have their VTT set up and ready to go. As a DM how do you not have a scriptd encounter ready to throw at your party immediately, especially in a VTT where you can just save and load scenarios willy-nilly?
>When Asher makes his move to sneak out of the Beowolf's line of sight and get behind the large rock he is then asked by the DM if he wants to use an action after reaching the rock, now obviously the game is a collaborative effort and they're free to play how they like, but RaW state that the sneak is his action in that case. This is either new players forgetting rules or people flexing the rules to make the game more fun, however based on previous evidence I believe it to be the former.
>Fenix is bitching about how the Beowolf hit him when Fenix was prone because Fenix "has a high AC". When asked what his AC is he has to look it up (you should know what your AC is by heart barring conditional effects, this is very basic character info) and then informs the DM that his AC is 15, which is not high even by the standards of a level one character. This also has me worried that either everyone in this party has low AC (which would be potentially disastrous) or he doesn't know enough about the game to know that his AC is pretty distinctly average. Once again, my opinion is on the side of "They actually don't know 5e very well".
>They keep talking about facing, which is a thing that pretty much doesn't exist in 5e even if you're a rogue. Once again, this could be a homerule but I'm betting it's just new players not fully understanding things.
>This VTT that they're using, Tale Spire, doesn't impress me. It's very pretty looking but there doesn't seem to be anything it does that either Roll20 or Tabletop Simulator wouldn't do quicker and easier. Also Jesus fuck they want 25 USD to buy this thing on Steam and it's still early access, no thank you.

Overall I'm largely unimpressed, about the nicest thing i can say about this is that i don't hate it, which is simultaneously high praise and damning condemnation. I'm going to suffer through the rest of this since it's only nine episodes and they're mercifully short, if the episodes were longer the boredom would really set in and I'd have a stronger reaction than just "meh".

Sleazy Car Salesman

kiwifarms.net
Double post but fuck it.

Like anything that could possibly be used as a legitimate reason to enjoy the show?

I only ever watched a couple episodes of the first season back when it came out forever ago and it looked like trash, I never heard anyone with half decent taste say anything good about it, the show gets shit on even by breadtubers like hbomb, and yet there's like 8 (I think) seasons of it and multiple videogames

It's trash all the way down, it's barely even fun to give the MST3K treatment.
UnicornOfWar videos always manage to come up with the exact title and thumbnail that make me want to yell "Get over yourself, Jesus."
His voice is also incredibly punchable. He has that faggoty keening quality to his voice that makes some primal part of me mark him as weak.

Random Internet Person

kiwifarms.net

Most people will tell you that everything great or redeemable was in the first three volumes. After that, it’s dwindling enjoyment and the terminal point varies depending on who you ask.

Eugene90

kiwifarms.net
Will give credit to where it's due, at least the guy finally admits that RWBY has been a gigantic pile of garbage post V7, that's on fire all the time.

But honestly, I'd say that remaining neutral at this point seems pretty moot given how passive-aggressive he can be in defending this stupid show when he was still on Twitter. But hey, at least he still has awareness of his own action and that's about the only compliment I can give to him, that's speaking a lot given how many moronic fan-tards of this shitshow will just go hiding in protected twitter status rather than addressing their hypocrisy and idiocy when called out.

Dumpster dived waifu

Sieg heil mein waifu
kiwifarms.net
>Asher Mora, played by Chad James. Asher is your typical money grubbing merc type, all about getting payed and everyone and everything else be damned. I'm sure he has some deep dark tragic hidden backstory, can't wait to hear about how he grew up in the mean streets after his parents were killed over protection racket debts or some shit. Asher's weapon is a pair of swordbreakers that double as grappling hooks.
Ah yes, the standard tall dark and edge, every bad party needs one.
>Fenix Nemean, played by Chris Kokkinos, the man with far too many K's in his name. Fenix is a lion aspect faunus (Chris instisted on emphasizing the fact that Fenix is a "half-faunus" so one of his parents is a fur nigger lover) which tries his best to encapsulate the "lul so RANDUMB!!!!!!" type of new player that I personally fucking depise. His weapon is a shield that can also shoot like a gun and he has revealed his semblance to be something called "beast mode" which is basically just The Incredible Hulk but with more hair.
Jesus christ, how fucking relatable, amirite fellow redditors? Also, how is one half faunus? I thought just the attribute of having animal parts made you a faunus. The lore is so fucking stupid.
except for Fenix, who's just going HAM on a giant bag of tacos that he happens to have with him (lul so randumb)
Haha, so fucking relatable that I want to die.

Otherwise, thank you for taking the bullet on this one, this sounds like it would be insufferable for me.

TheClorax

kiwifarms.net
So apparently Volume 8 had a very big plot point the season revolved around that they had to cut. Miles also said it created a new problem solving exercise where they needed to cut it out but replace it with another new thing that was smaller and still had the right connections and causes to the original idea. It's almost certainly why V8 was such a mishmash of disjointed events and asspulls. Probably won’t even learn what it was until the commentary comes out in November.
Not even shocked at this point. "We wanted to do this but couldn't" is the tale of just about every volume. Sure Kung Flu and the storms in Texas hurt them but you’d think they’d learn not to over anticipate what they’re capable of at this point.

Random Internet Person

kiwifarms.net
So apparently Volume 8 had a very big plot point the season revolved around that they had to cut. Miles also said it created a new problem solving exercise where they needed to cut it out but replace it with another new thing that was smaller and still had the right connections and causes to the original idea. It's almost certainly why V8 was such a mishmash of disjointed events and asspulls. Probably won’t even learn what it was until the commentary comes out in November.
Not even shocked at this point. "We wanted to do this but couldn't" is the tale of just about every volume. Sure Kung Flu and the storms in Texas hurt them but you’d think they’d learn not to over anticipate what they’re capable of at this point.
I swear to God, any other place and RWBY would have been canceled already due to low ratings. As had been said for years, the only way to fix RWBY is a time consuming retool that could be either a reboot or changing so much that you can just make a new IP.

Edit: where’d you hear this info?

Last edited:

KylesDickIsOut

Kyle rides again.
kiwifarms.net

It had style when Monty was behind the reigns, and even into volume 3. I still think the character design is top notch—at least for the first three seasons. I stopped watching after volume 4 so I don't know how bad they've gotten since, but volume 4 looked really dumb both in animation and the design of things.

Volumes 1-3 felt like an older video game. Like all the blank backgrounds were backdrops for some 2D fighting game for the characters to fight on. Volume 4 just looked like shit. For all it's faults the early seasons had a sort of... Feel to them that was alluring. I think that's the thing with RWBY. That first trailer was just really captivating and the show never lived up to what was shown off. Hell, the same can be said for all the trailers actually (though in my opinion they got worse as they went on with "Black" and "Yellow" being terrible—primarily due to the voice acting and lazy attempt at environmental story telling). Those first two trailers just ooze with that classic Monty style.

Tl;Dr RWBY should have been a fighting game.

Random Internet Person

kiwifarms.net
It had style when Monty was behind the reigns, and even into volume 3. I still think the character design is top notch—at least for the first three seasons. I stopped watching after volume 4 so I don't know how bad they've gotten since, but volume 4 looked really dumb both in animation and the design of things.

Volumes 1-3 felt like an older video game. Like all the blank backgrounds were backdrops for some 2D fighting game for the characters to fight on. Volume 4 just looked like shit. For all it's faults the early seasons had a sort of... Feel to them that was alluring. I think that's the thing with RWBY. That first trailer was just really captivating and the show never lived up to what was shown off. Hell, the same can be said for all the trailers actually (though in my opinion they got worse as they went on with "Black" and "Yellow" being terrible—primarily due to the voice acting and lazy attempt at environmental story telling). Those first two trailers just ooze with that classic Monty style.

Tl;Dr RWBY should have been a fighting game.
BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle seems right up your alley.

Scuttle

rooby rooten
kiwifarms.net

Being as objective as I can, I think RWBY's biggest pull is it's nostalgia and it's creative bankruptcy being so high that the writers actively lean into confirming fan theories as plot developments.

Both of these things, however, only have power over the people who are still fans; and if you're still a fan of this show then chances are you're too committed to care about its actual problems.

A lot of people will tell you that Volume 1-3 had 'heart' but the reality is that Volume 3 was also displaying huge problems with how fight scenes were handled (with one of its most notable fights being a frame-for-frame ripoff of an action sequence from Hunter x Hunter), and one of the biggest plot misfires in the show's history.

If you're capable of ignoring the paltry episode length, terrible voice acting, obnoxious allegory for racism and the Black Panther movement in the White Fang, forgotten plot points, and botched character arcs, you could at least watch Volumes 1-2 and think 'Okay that was a dumb popcorn flick but it was fun'. But Volume 2 was over half a decade ago now, and since then the show has tried to ride the tonal shift of Volume 3 and failed at nearly every turn.

WULULULULU

We call this a difficulty tweak! Broke Dick Ed.
kiwifarms.net
Being as objective as I can, I think RWBY's biggest pull is it's nostalgia and it's creative bankruptcy being so high that the writers actively lean into confirming fan theories as plot developments.

Both of these things, however, only have power over the people who are still fans; and if you're still a fan of this show then chances are you're too committed to care about its actual problems.

A lot of people will tell you that Volume 1-3 had 'heart' but the reality is that Volume 3 was also displaying huge problems with how fight scenes were handled (with one of its most notable fights being a frame-for-frame ripoff of an action sequence from Hunter x Hunter), and one of the biggest plot misfires in the show's history.

If you're capable of ignoring the paltry episode length, terrible voice acting, obnoxious allegory for racism and the Black Panther movement in the White Fang, forgotten plot points, and botched character arcs, you could at least watch Volumes 1-2 and think 'Okay that was a dumb popcorn flick but it was fun'. But Volume 2 was over half a decade ago now, and since then the show has tried to ride the tonal shift of Volume 3 and failed at nearly every turn.
Reminds me of Games Workshop and how each of their established IPs are taking copies from other franchises to their Warhammer IP. Still, the fact that RoosterTeeth has more creative bankruptcy than GW is an achievement of pure autism.