RWBY - The Hindenburg on which Rooster Teeth rests its hopes, dreams and future

ChevroletBlackboard

kiwifarms.net
At this point I think Miles and Eddy just look at the big criticisms of what wasn't in a season, then lie and say "Oh we meant to have this subplot but it got cut for time again!"

It's been a thing since like Volume 5 where they claimed that RNJR's Mistral content was cut due to the production, leading to the Jaune stuff and Maria being back-ported into Volume 6. It's way too convenient at this point how often they go "Oh well we had a scene that perfectly explains this seeming plot hole, but we cut it."

At this point I think Miles and Eddy just look at the big criticisms of what wasn't in a season, then lie and say "Oh we meant to have this subplot but it got cut for time again!"

It's been a thing since like Volume 5 where they claimed that RNJR's Mistral content was cut due to the production, leading to the Jaune stuff and Maria being back-ported into Volume 6. It's way too convenient at this point how often they go "Oh well we had a scene that perfectly explains this seeming plot hole, but we cut it."
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, Shame on me. How many times have the fools been going around?

TheClorax

kiwifarms.net
where’d you hear this info?
Pretty sure they talked about it during one of this year‘s panels at RTX.
Based on a lot of the concept art we’ve seen (including all of RWBY preparing to fight Monstra’s heart), I’m assuming that it was Salem’s whale.
1E44BF2F-D1D6-4BF9-8374-3ECCD72C5BE8.jpeg

Chilson

kiwifarms.net
Pretty sure they talked about it during one of this year‘s panels at RTX.
Based on a lot of the concept art we’ve seen (including all of RWBY preparing to fight Monstra’s heart), I’m assuming that it was Salem’s whale.View attachment 2393012
Its a lose lose situation either way. Either they are lying, which is honestly equally plausible, and are just talentless hacks unable to to take responsibility (which they are). Or they are not lying and suck ass at running their animation department to include CRUCIAL AND ABSOLUTELY NECCESSARY SCENES (which they also are).

Frankly, I would not be surprised if it is some mixture of both.

I Love Beef

OH YEAHHUH, SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM
kiwifarms.net
Can anyone here answer me if there is any redeeming quality to RWBY?

Like anything that could possibly be used as a legitimate reason to enjoy the show?

I only ever watched a couple episodes of the first season back when it came out forever ago and it looked like trash, I never heard anyone with half decent taste say anything good about it, the show gets shit on even by breadtubers like hbomb, and yet there's like 8 (I think) seasons of it and multiple videogames

Is it just another product of clown world?
I wasn't ever that much of a fan of the series, as so much of a detractor, but for an old anime fan like me, RWBY, in all of my stubborn teeth clenching reluctance....

....will admit that RWBY was the show that was intune with US anime fan subculture, and held immense promise, as it showed that yes, you could make anime outside of Japan, homegrown grassroots style.

From this angle, let me take you into my perspective of the world.

I know about Avatar and Teen Titans, but hear me out. Avatar was still restricted to Nickelodeon's "By Kids, For Kids" standards, and Teen Titans was pretty much an animesque take on already existing superhero properties. Despite both coming out to acclaim, there was something about them that did not capture the "anime feel", despite how many millennials and Gen Z babies will tell you.

RWBY however, you could tell that this was made knowing that this was the brainchild of an anime fan who grew up during the turn of the millenium US anime boom, when anime, manga, and video games blew teens and fans away that sequential art could be more than what the comics and animation industry at home was presenting. Actual comics and animation, and video games with stories and content that, wasn't regulated for kids and overly obnoxious moral overlords worried that Baby Jesus would cry caring what we enjoyed for entertainment? What a shocker!

Like back in those days, anime and video games were practically two peas in a pod, as far as I remember, before things branched off as heavily as it did today. Fans were as much into Final Fantasy, Mega Man, Street Fighter, and Guilty Gear as much as Slayers, Cowboy Bebop, Tenchi Muyo!, and Outlaw Star. This was because video games were the keystone for anime to get bigger out in the States and out west, among other socio-cultural events going on. And before you knew it, you had young fans inspired to try and make anime and manga just as they'd seen.

Monty wasn't a perfect creator, but he knew what he liked, and he was one of the very few who refused to let his anime dreams go, and especially in the face of the 2008 Great Recession. He went the distance and made his mark, he plotted out what he wanted to see on the screen, and before we knew it, in came the pilot trailers he made to showcase his next work after Red VS Blue.

He practically created a JRPG and fantasy anime styled world with a bit of its own depth. A magic system like those found in JRPGs, a warriors guild school for youth, a constant existential threat to the world that must be fought off, a world blending magic and technology, its own history even, he practically shot all of the right targets dead on the mark. He had all of the right pieces, and he did this when the hardcore diehard anime purist days came to their eventual end, all at the right time. Monty was a fan himself, and he created something that embodied what anime fans out west beloved and enjoyed about anime. Not stuff from Japan or to mimic all of the Japanese animes like the other amerime garbage, like straight out rise out of the sea like a fucking flying dragon paint the motherfucking sky "This is Anime made from outside of Japan, and this is our stand, motherfuckers, hear us roar".

For someone who still aspires to make anime shit into today, Monty had it all, and I'm still green with envy over this.

Sure, today it's practically a tragic shell of enormously bad writing, tangled in a huge web of internal politics, and to where even DC is literally constantly pumping its ass full of brand recognition capeshit semen, all after Monty's sudden and young death (RIP) but the initial concept, its ideas and the inspiration, that's where it shines. It's like taking a piece of gold ore and making a fucking asspick out of it, sadly. It really fucking sucks that talent like his was wasted on pissass poor writers and not actual teammates who could realize the series' potential, but that's just how the wheel rolls.

Hope I explained this.

I Love Beef

OH YEAHHUH, SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM
kiwifarms.net
I still can't get over the idiocy of making mundane things into superpowers.
I still can't get over the fact that DC self inserted Totally Original Character Donut Steel inserts of capeshit because they can't even write well enough to sell them in their own series. It's probably my own inner anime purist raging on, but if I had superhero based characters in my animesque work, I'd make them villains and make constant backhanded allegorical allusive references to incidents of comics censorship and all of its far reaching consequences like the Comics Crash of 1996 and shit on them non stop, like with what No More Heroes III is going to do. Even putting them in something that's nosediving like RWBY, RWBY has more diginity than to let in blatant capeshit into its world.
Well, what's wrong with Tifa?
I've said it looooonnnnggg before, but Tifa has legitimately better character and costume design than Yang. As a hands on fist fighter, Tifa's skintight but her clothes breathe, and she has no obstructions because her attire is streamlined. Sure, she's not all armored, but she is extremely athletic, and honing that mind down to read attacks and go all out when there's an opening is a lot more important than caring whether or not you'll get a few scratches that you can suck up in the long run.

Yang? Yang's design is horrible. Her clothes are baggy and layered to shit, which is piss poor for your perspiration and overall endurance, because your skin needs to breathe. You will trip over your own clothes and your mobility is hampered because you're carrying at least 5 pounds of clothes carrying down on your body. Don't even get me started on weather and shit. Tifa at least has materia she can use to warm up. Yang will die out in the desert or somewhere extremely hot because those clothes will make her overheat to shit or will waste money on Ice dust.

Miles is jealous that he can't write good characters either.
He wants RWBY to feel like an anime down to the superficial anime bullshit like the acronym team names, attack shout outs, and the god forsaken animal niggers faunus.
He, or Miles and Kerry, got the weeaboo part right.

I've seen and gone through series where they don't even skimp on their allegories and allusions, and they know how to pull their punches. If there's organizations, they show their course through the story as if it is karma. If it's a character, they show that by personality, abilities, and imagery. Here? It's outright laziness or neglect on their end.

Juan's Sombrero

Pirate sites are your friend.
kiwifarms.net
Ah yes, the standard tall dark and edge, every bad party needs one.

Jesus christ, how fucking relatable, amirite fellow redditors? Also, how is one half faunus? I thought just the attribute of having animal parts made you a faunus. The lore is so fucking stupid.

Haha, so fucking relatable that I want to die.

Otherwise, thank you for taking the bullet on this one, this sounds like it would be insufferable for me.
I swear to God, the humor in this show is so corporate that I feel like I'm wearing a suit and tie whenever I see or hear it. Oh, wow, so random and relatable. Act like Pinkie Pie and shit.

Jesus Christ, are we still living in the early 2010s?!

Dumpster dived waifu

Sieg heil mein waifu
kiwifarms.net
RWBY was to narrow in scope to fully utilize the size of Remnant.
Going to have to disagree on that. The concept of school teaches kids to be soldiers and kill monsters is very similar to that of Final Fantasy VIII (school teaches kids to be soldiers and kill witches). RWBY took a cataclysmic event and decided to make a roadtrip collecting the macguffins whereas FF decided that killing witches is way harder that they thought and it led to civil war and time travel to kill a bigger witch.

Say what you will about the execution, but FF at least took their narrow initial scope and tried going somewhere with it. RWBY decided macguffin quest was the only answer and even doubled down on it be adding a second and third level of macguffin.

Sleazy Car Salesman

kiwifarms.net
Going to have to disagree on that. The concept of school teaches kids to be soldiers and kill monsters is very similar to that of Final Fantasy VIII (school teaches kids to be soldiers and kill witches). RWBY took a cataclysmic event and decided to make a roadtrip collecting the macguffins whereas FF decided that killing witches is way harder that they thought and it led to civil war and time travel to kill a bigger witch.

Say what you will about the execution, but FF at least took their narrow initial scope and tried going somewhere with it. RWBY decided macguffin quest was the only answer and even doubled down on it be adding a second and third level of macguffin.
I honestly doubt that RWBY could have survived navigating the bend frankly. Even back in seasons 1-3 when the show was really firing on all cylinders the writing was never very strong and the story still felt very episodic. Someone could have done something interesting with it I'm sure, but I don't think the team they had could have pulled it off.

Juan's Sombrero

Pirate sites are your friend.
kiwifarms.net
He did a great job of that actually.
Which is ironic since the fan works (barring those done by hard-core fans that virtually don't want to change most; if not all, of the lore, and that the main characters are all pErFeCT) are actually better than canon. Which, when you think about it, isn't astronomically hard to do.

To say that it's stupidly easy would be like saying Chris-chan is actually proud that he raped his dementia addled mother.

bigoogabaloogas

just your average filthy weeb
kiwifarms.net
Which is ironic since the fan works (barring those done by hard-core fans that virtually don't want to change most; if not all, of the lore, and that the main characters are all pErFeCT) are actually better than canon. Which, when you think about it, isn't astronomically hard to do.

To say that it's stupidly easy would be like saying Chris-chan is actually proud that he raped his dementia addled mother.
I remember taking a look at fanfiction.net and laughing at the amount of Jaune fanfictions compared to the other characters

I remember taking a look at fanfiction.net and laughing at the amount of Jaune fanfictions compared to the other characters
Well, Jaune is the Everyman. He’s the audience surrogate, or was in the Beacon arc, at least in the first volume. A buddy of mine said he even plays a game where he’d look at the RWBY crossovers and look to see what other IP Jaune was put into.

Captain Marvelous

Hade ni ikuze!
kiwifarms.net
A lot of people will tell you that Volume 1-3 had 'heart' but the reality is that Volume 3 was also displaying huge problems with how fight scenes were handled (with one of its most notable fights being a frame-for-frame ripoff of an action sequence from Hunter x Hunter), and one of the biggest plot misfires in the show's history.
What plot misfire are you referring to?