RWBY - The Hindenburg on which Rooster Teeth rests its hopes, dreams and future

• Copy+pasting images with your clipboard now works again, ending the two-month reign of terror we endured of the prior notice.

LordBaron

kiwifarms.net
I think the reason Volumes 7-8 were so controversial was because of how politically charged some of the debates regarding the writing were, not helped by the pandemic eerily reflecting the arguments about how the Atlesian government should have acted.
Not to mention the projections. Look up any rant about how Ironwood was a villain and then replace all mentions of Ironwood, James, and General with Trump, Donald, and President and you'll see what I mean.

Random Internet Person

kiwifarms.net
I think the reason Volumes 7-8 were so controversial was because of how politically charged some of the debates regarding the writing were, not helped by the pandemic eerily reflecting the arguments about how the Atlesian government should have acted.
And then people realized there's more to it than "this is bad writing".

Probably before that letter "to those who Treasure Monty".
Forgot about that. But you're right. That letter was the thing that split the fandom for good, and the divide has only gotten wider since.

Sup3r

kiwifarms.net
Forgot about that. But you're right. That letter was the thing that split the fandom for good, and the divide has only gotten wider since.
That letter has only ever done more harm than good. Shane was in such a bad state when he wrote that. What I find funny is that those who claim rwby wouldn't be bad without Monty use the letter. Yet they ignore that the letter also paints Monty as a shit show runner.

Random Internet Person

kiwifarms.net
That letter has only ever done more harm than good. Shane was in such a bad state when he wrote that. What I find funny is that those who claim rwby wouldn't be bad without Monty use the letter. Yet they ignore that the letter also paints Monty as a shit show runner.
Well, the other aspect is that RT ouright refused to go to Shane and Sheena as writers and/or directors in the aftermath of Monty dying. And Monty himself admitted he's more of an ideas person and needs help on the writing aspect and that's where Miles and Kerry came in, as opposed to Shane and Sheena but that's another aspect that'll probably only come from leaks or someone who left RT and wants to burn it all down (assuming that's possible now). I said it before and I'll say it again: Miles and Kerry worked with Monty so much in the development phases that anywhere else, they'd be eligible to get a "Created By" credit.

Sup3r

kiwifarms.net
Well, the other aspect is that RT ouright refused to go to Shane and Sheena as writers and/or directors in the aftermath of Monty dying. And Monty himself admitted he's more of an ideas person and needs help on the writing aspect and that's where Miles and Kerry came in, as opposed to Shane and Sheena but that's another aspect that'll probably only come from leaks or someone who left RT and wants to burn it all down (assuming that's possible now). I said it before and I'll say it again: Miles and Kerry worked with Monty so much in the development phases that anywhere else, they'd be eligible to get a "Created By" credit.
Shane was an animator and while he may have worked closely with Monty while animating, he would've been a terrible replacement. The main problem they had is that Miles and Kerry had been involved with writing from the very beginning, while Shane's involvement was always just as an animator. Why would you promote an animator to show runner and now need to hire a new one while you have the lead writers who would've had a better idea on what they were doing and keep the current one? Sheena wouldn't have been a better idea as she was an outsider to the company, and lacked the credentials to hire her in the position.

The main issue is that Shane is the only person who ever said this publicly, and he acts like he knew what was going on at the company. Throughout the entire letter he never names Kerry and only uses Miles once, acting like they never played a significant part in rwby's development. He also admits to fighting against RT at every point, is it any surprise he was never promoted and was "let go".

Random Internet Person

kiwifarms.net
What the fuck are they thinking? The main series is delayed and yet instead of focusing on that, they decide to allocate resources to a side project. It's like they genuinely want to kill the one thing that allows them to stay alive as a company.
RT knows that they gotta give the people SOMETHING RWBY related before the year is over. It ain’t like they’re going to get viewers with their podcasts.

RWBY was always fucking awful. The characters were unappealing, the story was nonsensical, the world felt sterile and the action was boring. It astounds me how anybody could watch even an episode of the series and come away wanting more. I also believe that none of the derivative works (e.g. video games) are any good as well.
From what I remember, it was mostly through Monty’s action and his passion for the project (Monty was already a big deal before RT hired him, and RWBY was the first time he did his own big thing with major backing).

Sup3r

kiwifarms.net
That's really the core problem in all of this isn't it?
It's only one part of it. Shane admitted he fought RT on every change they made after Monty's passing and that would've been a bad sign. They had no reason to promote him or even keep him there if he wasn't going to cooperate. Combine that with his declining personal life and mental health and it wasn't surprising that he had become a liability. He had delusions of grandeur. He saw himself as Monty's second in command and thought he held sway in the company. When Monty passed he thought he could take charge but he realised how small he was.

Shane only cared about "Monty's vision" and ignored that the main reason the 2 writers were there was to keep him from getting too out of control, a task they regularly struggled with as Monty often acted behind their backs due to him often animating long after everyone else left the office and Shane enabled this behaviour. Shane glorified bad ideas, like going in with no plan, just because it was Monty did.

Sleazy Car Salesman

Believe me when I say that I will take your money
kiwifarms.net
I'm not talking about Shane, I'm talking about Monty. This whole show is a product of taking an animator and promoting them to creative lead.

Sup3r

kiwifarms.net
You think so? Monty himself knew that, and that’s where Miles and Kerry came in.
Monty knew he wasn't a good writer, but he was the lead creative, and his decisions often had bad long term consequences.

Monty was known to go maverick on his writers, changing the episodes overnight and editing animations. One of the most infamous examples being the penny fight scene in volume 1, which Miles didn't know about until the episode aired. This was largely because there was fuck all planning for the story and Monty was pretty much making it up as he went along.

It may be fine when you work alone but when you are meant to be leading a team, all you end up with is a clusterfuck. It should be noted that the first time storyboards, a common technique for making any animation, was with volume 4. The first one Monty had no say in, because of his passing.

Edit: It should also be noted that Monty had a genuine issue with workaholism. He was known to spend nights in the office animating and caught little sleep while his work was rendering. He was likely not in a good state when he was "creating" RWBY and it shows. This was a well known issue at the time but everyone at RT just joked about it.

Last edited:

Random Internet Person

kiwifarms.net
Captivating? I guess that's one to describe a flaming trainwreck.

Last year, when looking for another animated series to watch, I came across RWBY, a young adult animation, and one of Rooster Teeth’s flagship series. While I wasn’t sure about it at first, as I watched all eight seasons, I became invested in the characters, especially the protagonists, and a fan of the show itself.

RWBY is the brainchild of the late Monty Oum. It is known for its captivating stories and a theme song, sung by Casey Lee Williams, which begins every episode, foreshadowing what happens in the season/volume. Although the series has the classic conflict of good vs. evil, there are well-developed characters with intricate storylines, elements of horror, and good character development. Some characters are even morally grey, like General James Ironwood or the Ace Ops. Other villains, such as Cinder Fall, don’t want to strictly follow their leader.

Ruby in Volume 9 preview

Ruby in Volume 9 preview
The anime-inspired series is named after the four main protagonists: Ruby Rose, Weiss Schnee, Blake Belladonna, and Yang Xiao Long. They stand against villains, such as Salem and her enforcers, like Cinder, Arthur Watts, Neopolitan, Tyrian Callows, Mercury Black, and the Grimm monsters. On the other hand, Ozma/Ozpin/Oscar Pine, Lie Ren, Nora Valkyrie, Qrow Branwen, Robyn Hill, and Jaune Arc, among others, help Ruby, Weiss, Blake, and Yang fight against the forces of evil.
The show is clearly mature as it features its share of blood and gore, and the death of some characters, with the antagonist, Salem, even engaging in human experimentation. On the other hand, this science fantasy/adventure/action series has a large focus on magic, and sci-fi elements like the cyborg girl, Penny Polendina, and scrolls which can receive and record messages. Each of the protagonists, like those on RWBY, have a semblance which derives from their aura, helping them battle against the Grimm and other villains, either including powers such as object manipulation, disorienting people, or super strength.
I don’t want to give away too much of the plot but I will say that the show features various supporting LGBTQ characters. In Volume 6, Saphron and Terra-Arc, a lesbian couple with a son named Adrian, as confirmed by Lindsay Jones, the voice of Ruby, who the protagonists, and their friends, stay with on their journey to another kingdom. Additionally, in the Volume 5 episode “Alone Together,” Ilia Amitola confessed her romantic feelings to Blake, and was later confirmed by show writer Miles Luna as a lesbian in a Reddit AMA.
Most prominently is May Marigold, a trans woman. Unlike other trans characters in animation, she is voiced by a trans female voice actress, Kdin Jenzen, and her character came out as trans in the Volume 8 episode “War,” which she described as “something so wildly powerful & meaningful.”

LGBTQ characters in RWBY so far

LGBTQ characters in RWBY so far
There is a lot about the series which is wonderful. There is a strong possibility of confirmed LGBTQ representation in the main cast, especially since the voice actress for Blake, Arryn Zech, confirmed her character as bisexual in May 2020, and some even have argued that the shipping between Blake and Yang, known as Bumbleby, will come become canon in the show’s next volume.
Even if this doesn’t happen, the show is still powerful, from its music to the characters, the voice acting to the visuals, which have improved from the earliest seasons to the present-day. Although the fandom may be toxic at times, the show is unique in its colorful ship names, especially the femslash ones, like Baked Alaska (Yang and Neopolitan), Blood Mint (Ruby and Emerald Sustrai), Freezerburn (Yang and Weiss), Ladybug (Ruby and Blake), or White Rose (Ruby and Weiss) to name a few.

So, if you haven’t seen RWBY yet, whether on VRV, Crunchyroll, Amazon Prime (in some locations), YouTube Movies (for purchase/rent), or on the RoosterTeeth website, now is the perfect time during the show’s hiatus, before Volume 9 begins again sometime in 2022.
Edited for readability.

Last edited: