RWBY - The Hindenburg on which Rooster Teeth rests its hopes, dreams and future

Captain Marvelous

Hade ni ikuze!
kiwifarms.net
Screenshot_20211111-150642_Chrome.jpg
This is ignoring the fact that an army veteran was the main villain of the last volume, and that same character needing a prosthetic arm was a symbol of him "losing his humanity".

TheClorax

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 2708780This is ignoring the fact that an army veteran was the main villain of the last volume, and that same character needing a prosthetic arm was a symbol of him "losing his humanity".
RWBY isn’t anti-military; Winter is a Marial Law-loving girlboss who defends the realm and never bends; Marrow defects; the Ace Ops save Harriet and are uncomfortable with Ironwood’s orders, etc. It doesn’t even really closely critique the military’s power; it’s just there as a background element when they make an insufferable bad guy try taking away Ironwood’s second council seat.
It does inadvertedly show that the Atlesian military is flawed in systemic ways in Atlas’ political system, it just doesn’t explore them a lot, and people are right to think that it’s flawed even if they’re annoying about it. Just because the Ace Ops aren’t going around commiting war crimes doesn’t mean that the military isn’t being politically corrupt in specific ways.
And Atlas’ military is kinda shit anyway. They royally botched Beacon, were in bed with corporations employing “controversial labor forces” (or did you guys forget all the v4 scenes with Jimmy being like “but we are bros!! how could you put your profits before ME??” to Jacq), have civilian political power, and can turn on Martial Law on a dime and suffer 0 consequences for killing an elected official.
Just because there’s a need for something doesn’t inherently mean that the people filling that need are going to be good at it.

Fougaro

Glow in the dark K/DA Popstar
kiwifarms.net
``RWBY isn’t as bad as Sword Art Online, Highschool DxD, the Fate franchise and most, if not all harem, paedo- and incelbait anime, which to be perfectly clear is less of a praise of RWBY, but more of an indictment of the anime industry as a whole, ``
based OP
And I still stand by that statement. As I said in another thread, the anime industry has gone so much to shit that Stephenie Meyer's writing would be considered as above average. I'm convinced that if RWBY was a Japanese production most western weebs would suck its dick. I'll go even further: As incompetent, embarrassing and outright braindead Miles' writing is by the standards of an adult thinking audience, if made by a modern Japanese mangaka it would be even worse. One of the very few compliments I can give RWBY is that it's not High School DxD.

And as I said in the OP, this is not a praise of RWBY, but a indictment and condemnation of the absolute state of the anime industry right now.
Fixing RWBY had an onsen episode. Well, it was a good run everybody.
So in other words they're trying to make it "as anime as possible" and thus repeating the same mistake of Monty and Miles.

What the shit

Amateur rabble-rouser
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And I still stand by that statement. As I said in another thread, the anime industry has gone so much to shit that Stephenie Meyer's writing would be considered as above average.
As much as the writing fucking sucks, I could still watch it for it's story (somewhat). It's bearable.

Skipjack

Epitaph to a Dog
kiwifarms.net
Can’t all be winners.
I noticed that the twitter handles to "credit" the artists are partly covered by Celtic's logo and the playbar. Also, Celtic has a Patreon, but his artists work for free. Classy. Just like keeping a joke about how small-breasted women are indistinguishable from men.

So in other words they're trying to make it "as anime as possible" and thus repeating the same mistake of Monty and Miles.

Yep. He also seems unsure whether this narrative is an essay or prose. Some scenes are fully drawn out narratively, others take emotionally charged moments and simmer them down to "he said this."

and as someone with inside sources, it's not going to get any better

Random Internet Person

kiwifarms.net
and as someone with inside sources, it's not going to get any better
Intriguing. Are you at liberty to elaborate further?

Yep. He also seems unsure whether this narrative is an essay or prose. Some scenes are fully drawn out narratively, others take emotionally charged moments and simmer them down to "he said this."
You mean how some scenes get its own image, while others have Photoshop and stiff movement and other times the episode plays as normal so you can skip it because nothing changed?

Last edited:

Skipjack

Epitaph to a Dog
kiwifarms.net
You mean how some scenes get its own image, while others have Photoshop and stiff movement and other times the episode plays as normal so you can skip it because nothing changed?
I mean in terms of the writing itself. A good example is how some scenes feel like genuine prose you'd read in a fanfic, but then there's scenes like Qrow searching the town, which are done through bored-sounding lists and an contrived joke ("this is truly Qrow's ungroovy day"). The emotion of it is all over the place, but the narration is constant and spoken very fast, never allowing for the (unpaid) art or music to speak for itself.

I Love Beef

OH YEAHHUH, SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM
kiwifarms.net
nd I still stand by that statement. As I said in another thread, the anime industry has gone so much to shit that Stephenie Meyer's writing would be considered as above average. I'm convinced that if RWBY was a Japanese production most western weebs would suck its dick. I'll go even further: As incompetent, embarrassing and outright braindead Miles' writing is by the standards of an adult thinking audience, if made by a modern Japanese mangaka it would be even worse. One of the very few compliments I can give RWBY is that it's not High School DxD.

And as I said in the OP, this is not a praise of RWBY, but a indictment and condemnation of the absolute state of the anime industry right now.
well fuck me I missed the point lol

Even as an oldfag who shits on ANN and still can't get into anything after 2015, even I wouldn't level it down near to Twilight or consider High School DxD lower than fucking RWBY. They have better worldbuilding than this fucking tripe.

I've probably sealed my own coffin on this thread by now, but if you think RoosterTeeth is on par with anime studios out in Japan, that's the biggest joke I've ever heard. I've read anime webcomics with better material than what RWBY has grown into. Even shit that only has pilots or one shot OAVs have more conceptual material than this.

Random Internet Person

kiwifarms.net
well fuck me I missed the point lol

Even as an oldfag who shits on ANN and still can't get into anything after 2015, even I wouldn't level it down near to Twilight or consider High School DxD lower than fucking RWBY. They have better worldbuilding than this fucking tripe.

I've probably sealed my own coffin on this thread by now, but if you think RoosterTeeth is on par with anime studios out in Japan, that's the biggest joke I've ever heard. I've read anime webcomics with better material than what RWBY has grown into. Even shit that only has pilots or one shot OAVs have more conceptual material than this.
You think that was by design? Volumes 1-3 are seen as the best volumes because of the relative simplicity, rather than in spite of it.

I Love Beef

OH YEAHHUH, SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM
kiwifarms.net
You think that was by design? Volumes 1-3 are seen as the best volumes because of the relative simplicity, rather than in spite of it.
Well, ain't that just a bitch isn't it? Hindsight is 20/20, but glaring flaws of shallow worldbuilding and poor execution doesn't exactly mean overblown contrivances of drama and character study will save it; it's a symptom of these flaws.

This series seemingly had a lot to offer, but that goes away with bad preparation and hasty shallow simple problems that should had been dealt with in the first place. I'd honestly rather deal with shit tons of exposition and explaining mid fight with the fundamentals already explained than basic shit not being properly presented or explained simply before getting into the complex stuff.

Sup3r

kiwifarms.net
Well, ain't that just a bitch isn't it? Hindsight is 20/20, but glaring flaws of shallow worldbuilding and poor execution doesn't exactly mean overblown contrivances of drama and character study will save it; it's a symptom of these flaws.

This series seemingly had a lot to offer, but that goes away with bad preparation and hasty shallow simple problems that should had been dealt with in the first place. I'd honestly rather deal with shit tons of exposition and explaining mid fight with the fundamentals already explained than basic shit not being properly presented or explained simply before getting into the complex stuff.
RWBY is proof that you shouldn't do something just because it's "cool". So many of the series' problems come from prioritizing that over story and world building.

The best example is Ruby's semblance, which spent 7 fucking volumes not being explained at all, which is ridiculous for the leader of the titular team. I've made the comparison before but it'd be like if one piece never bothered to explain how the gum gum fruit worked untill after the timeskip. Then you have that characters are made to be one time use (torchwick and velvet) but end up becoming reoccurring characters purely because of their popularity.

They desperately need to trim as much of the fat as possible if they stand a chance at making it across the finish line.

Skipjack

Epitaph to a Dog
kiwifarms.net
God damn it, earlier in the thread I said that Celtic was probably just an exceptional idiot who accidentally stumbled into success and good ideas with Fixing RWBY, I really wanted to be wrong on that.
Why, of all things, would he keep the format of Volume 5? That was literally the worst problem. Also, I don't think it's too far a stretch to say Roman is his self-insert at this point. "I took out Oscar because he was useless," but he kept the Malachite twins, Cardin, Velvet, etc. Hm.

Sleazy Car Salesman

Believe me when I say that I will take your money
kiwifarms.net
Why, of all things, would he keep the format of Volume 5? That was literally the worst problem. Also, I don't think it's too far a stretch to say Roman is his self-insert at this point. "I took out Oscar because he was useless," but he kept the Malachite twins, Cardin, Velvet, etc. Hm.
I don't watch any of his other shit so I wouldn't be able to make that call on the self-insert. I'll be honest in saying that I've really liked his series so far but this latest one has got me worried that a major nosedive is incoming, and this is on top of the fact that he's fucking lazy. We'll just have to see what happens.

Not paying artists is fucking low though, don't look for volunteers, especially if you have a Patreon.

Skipjack

Epitaph to a Dog
kiwifarms.net
I don't watch any of his other shit so I wouldn't be able to make that call on the self-insert. I'll be honest in saying that I've really liked his series so far but this latest one has got me worried that a major nosedive is incoming, and this is on top of the fact that he's fucking lazy. We'll just have to see what happens.

Not paying artists is fucking low though, don't look for volunteers, especially if you have a Patreon.
He says it's okay because they agreed to not be paid. In their minds I guess they just enjoy being part of something, but of course, exposurebux run thin. Most of the artists still don't have over 150 followers, their art gets a couple dozen likes, and the composers' videos only got a few hundred views at best.

Random Internet Person

kiwifarms.net
Well, watching this newest one, he seems to have kept two of the biggest things that came out of V5 (Raven only cares about herself, Ozpin sees people as mere pawns in a game of chess) that COULD have been something. At least he got rid of “sitting around in a house doing nothing”. And Vernal seems to get more to do, and Adam isn’t just wasted to prop up Ilia. So far…so good. Honestly, only the parts that show original art seem to show things that are interesting if you ask me.

As for self-insert, I don’t think so. Back when he showed Roman in V4, he said the swap for Roman was because Oscar was just there to keep Ozpin in the narrative and was the first example of RWBY as a show introducing new characters instead of finding new roles and things to do for their existing ones. And that Roman would be fun to work with.

The reason Jaune gets called a self-insert is because with every volume, it seems he gets something where he either gets the spotlight or has or does something you’d think a main character would deal with.

He says it's okay because they agreed to not be paid. In their minds I guess they just enjoy being part of something, but of course, exposurebux run thin. Most of the artists still don't have over 150 followers, their art gets a couple dozen likes, and the composers' videos only got a few hundred views at best.
I’m sure the people are fine with the credit/exposure/not being paid angle if only because this thing is so small scale. RWBY as a show is WAY past its heyday and it’s not like new fans will come in by the truckload. I don’t think any careers will be launched or expanded by this, outside of becoming more known in the RWBY fandom.

WULULULULU

We call this a difficulty tweak! Broke Dick Ed.
kiwifarms.net
DxD? SAO? Are we like back to 2012 or some crap? There are worse shit out there that would make those two seem competent. RWBY is not one of them. I'm talking about crap like Darling in the Franxx levels of shit. If anything, RWBY fits Franxx more in terms of quality, (lack of) worldbuilding, awful characterizations and dogshit story.

I'm still wondering which tripe of garbage I watched is tolerable: Weathering With You, RWBY or Franxx. Because I'd rather grab a 9mm and eat it for similar resuts.