RWBY - The Hindenburg on which Rooster Teeth rests its hopes, dreams and future

• The site is having difficulties because our bandwidth is totally overextended. Our 1Gbps line is at 100% even when there aren't 8000 people on the site. We were supposed to get a second Gbps line months ago but I'm struggling to get technicians scheduled to set it up.

Sup3r

kiwifarms.net
I agree that RWBY was always shit, but volumes 1 to 3 were bad but entertaining (1 less so, that's almost unwatachable). 4 onwards I couldn't watch without falling asleep, it's all retardation with the energy of a retirement home and negative charm.
RWBY's main issue is that it cannot maintain any form of good pace. It either moves at the speed of frozen sloth or it rushes like it only has 2 minutes left. When you look at volume 4, it only has 2 high points in the pace: the tyrian fight and the nucklevee fight (and both get fucked by the pacing). With Tyrian especially, you start with the first half of the fight at the end of an episode, which ends with Qrow's last minute save and teases an (in a good show it would be) "epic" fight between two much better fighters than our main characters. But the following episode takes more than half of it's runtime to pay off that build up, Killing any investment in either Oscar's or Weiss' stories because all you (would) want is to see what happens in the one part of the story to have any sort of tension.

It just goes to show how incompetent the writers were. They had 5 major stories happening at the same time (RNJR, Weiss, Blake and Sun, Yang as well as having the whole Oscar/Ozpin thing) and there just wasn't enough time for any of them to be meaningfully fleshed out. And then there's the obviously bloated cast of main characters. You had team RWBY, JNR, Qrow and Oscar by the end of Volume 4. 9 main characters, with almost none of the development ever reaching the titular team, instead going to the Jaune and Ren, two of the self inserts of the creators.

Volumes 1 to 3 only seem better due to them only having one ongoing story arc and the team are mostly together, allowing for more time to flesh it out and have more room for fights that had context that you could remember (it didn't hurt that Monty was the one animating the action scenes).

Random Internet Person

kiwifarms.net
I legit enjoyed the series up until they removed Vic. Then I swore it off.
Well, seems you swore off at a good enough time because RWBY and RT have been taking L after L since then.
Volumes 1 to 3 only seem better due to them only having one ongoing story arc and the team are mostly together, allowing for more time to flesh it out and have more room for fights that had context that you could remember (it didn't hurt that Monty was the one animating the action scenes).
And then V5 and later volumes came along that just had...more issues with pacing and bloat. At least the latter.

Smith Wesson

kiwifarms.net
Told y'all. He ended up just keeping the dumbest plot beats on V5 with the same bad pacing and buildup, just slightly differently. Worst is Vernal's death, which was built up to be a cheap gutpunch, then wasn't even really given a moment of mourning from Raven. His excuse is that Raven is "stoic and emotionally immature," apparently enough to override motherly instinct.

Celtic and his pals have also been patrolling the comment section to argue against any criticism. He claims to be able to take critique, but what he really means is he just wants to refute and dismiss it so he can feel smart.

Can someone give a comprehensive breakdown of the flaws of Fixing RWBY's V5?

Also, do I have news from the critics sub, hooo boy.

Sup3r

kiwifarms.net
And then V5 and later volumes came along that just had...more issues with pacing and bloat. At least the latter.
A major issue in the pacing is that they will cut away from the interesting part of the story (like the big action setpieces) to focus on character "drama" that is completely disconnected to it. They did this in V4's Tyrian fight, having the first half be the cliffhanger of the episode, then having the following episode spend 10 minutes focusing on Weiss and Oscar doing nothing in comparison, removing all of the buildup the last episode had. They then do this mutliple times in V5, even having an even worse example.

Episode 7 ends with a shot of emerald walking up to Raven's camp, spinning her weapons but episode 8 doesn't follow up on this at all, instead having episode 9 do this. And the issue continues, with the big fight with the Belladonnas being constantly interupted by scenes of Ruby and co. just hanging around that house, doing nothing but hurting the non-existent pacing.

And the big fight scene, is just bad. Not in animation but in the lack of direction. Instead of doing the basic trick of isolating fights to different rooms, allowing for explanations as to why we don't notice the other character's fights when we focus on one, they're all in the same room. And yet it never gets to feel like one big brawl, instead only acknowledging it for one off moments like when Cinder wounds Weiss. You never get a shot of the other characters in the background so you can never feel the scale of it all (except for one moment when Weiss is jumping round but despite getting a good view of the top of the stairs, where Oscar and Leo are fighting, they are not shown there but we are given a shot of Ruby and Emerald). And despite the size of the room, it never gets used in any meaningful way. And then they mess up with it in more ways. Qrow just seems to let Raven just get away from him, he starts by fighting Raven only for next time you see him, he's just stood there having let Raven just walk away from him. And despite setting up a fight between Nora and Ren with Hazel at the start, they don't do anything until after the one big moment, hell Ren does fuck all throughout the entire 4 episode span.

Not like later Volumes are much better, Volume 6 pulls the same interupt the more interesting story for characters in a safer place doing f all for long periods of time and V7 spends most of it's time building up a bunch of characters who job to RWBY at the last minute. That and finding new ways to piss off people who were otherwise fans like the constant baiting of "bumblebee" fans and constant appeals to shippers only to upset them (the whole Qrow and Clover nontroversy because if two men are friendly nowadays, it's gay apparently).

Random Internet Person

kiwifarms.net
Can someone give a comprehensive breakdown of the flaws of Fixing RWBY's V5?
I think @Skipjack can help you with that one. And maybe @Sleazy Car Salesman since those two have been the most critical of it on this thread. As for me, I saw they redid the whole "Raven only cares about herself" angle, but at the very least there were some consequences to that angle? Also, there were people here who had issues with using Roman as a replacement for Oscar even though I think the reason for replacing Oscar with an existing character makes sense on the surface and that hate is pretty overblown.
Also, do I have news from the critics sub, hooo boy.
Please, do tell. I mean, some parts of this website don't take kindly to teasing about material you might have, especially if it isn't worth the hype.

DerpyDoggo

See You Space Cowboy
kiwifarms.net
So…I guess RWBY fucked up.
What haven't they fucked up? Lol. Poor Ironwood man. He deserved better.

Also, this is "Random Dyke"/"BlueQilin"/whatever. I had to change my account because the RWBY fags found my KiwiFarms account-- at least, my ex did. That's on me for not being an anonymous son of a bitch the first few days I was on KF.

Alright, back to RWBY... Has anybody checked out that new "RWBY Fables" thing on YouTube? I saw an episode or two and it was... okay... just okay. I love how the retards at RT continue to put all this fancy lore shit outside of the actual show despite critics telling them over and over again to stop doing that.

Tism the Return

( ^ U ^ )
kiwifarms.net
What haven't they fucked up? Lol. Poor Ironwood man. He deserved better.

Also, this is "Random Dyke"/"BlueQilin"/whatever. I had to change my account because the RWBY fags found my KiwiFarms account-- at least, my ex did. That's on me for not being an anonymous son of a bitch the first few days I was on KF.

Alright, back to RWBY... Has anybody checked out that new "RWBY Fables" thing on YouTube? I saw an episode or two and it was... okay... just okay. I love how the retards at RT continue to put all this fancy lore shit outside of the actual show despite critics telling them over and over again to stop doing that.

Watch as anything and everything depicted in RWBY Fables is as relevant to RWBY as everything from the past lore show was AKA not at all, will end up getting more passing mentions in low effort fanfics.

Puny Parker

With No Power, Comes No Responsibility
kiwifarms.net
Watch as anything and everything depicted in RWBY Fables is as relevant to RWBY as everything from the past lore show was AKA not at all, will end up getting more passing mentions in low effort fanfics.
I’m fairly certain they designed RWBY Fables as a spin-off series so that they don’t actually have to maintain continuity and just say it’s “non-canon” or better “fairytales are myths with a hint of truth” whenever it conflicts with the main series.

IMO, they could probably get away with conflicting lore if they didn’t take themselves so seriously.