RWBY - The Hindenburg on which Rooster Teeth rests its hopes, dreams and future

• ATTN NEW USERS: I strongly suggest using a real, alter-ego email address from a reputable provider and using a Password Manager to securely keep tack of it. If you forget your email and password I cannot restore your account. These are good practices in general so stop being lazy.

Sleazy Car Salesman

Believe me when I say that I will take your money
kiwifarms.net
Talk to @Sleazy Car Salesman and/or @Skipjack . They're the harshest critics of that thing.
The issues with Fixing RWBY can be broadly summed up as "The dialogue writing needs a lot of work, the story really isn't any better since he's kept all the overall foundational issues with pacing, the creator and many members of his creative team aren't much better than RT in the hack fraud department, and you're trading out RT's writing for quip filled Marvel movie writing written by a guy who embodies all the worst aspects of the 2007 era otaku and proofread by Diet Digibro".

EDIT: Yeah, I'd say that it's better than RWBY, but improving on garbage isn't an accomplishment in and of itself.

Sleazy Car Salesman

kiwifarms.net
I mean, it's either that...or risk becoming Jerry Freeman's RWBY: Alt.
The issue inherit with any rewriting or "fixing" project is always going to be the Ship of Theseus. How much can you actually change [thing] before it is no longer [thing]? The three pillars of story writing are your characters, setting, and plot, how much can you change those things before you're better off just entirely filing off the serial numbers and calling whatever you're left with your own original work? Jerry went way too far, Celtic hasn't gone far enough and both of them have exposed their own weaknesses and limitations as creators on the process.

Skipjack

Epitaph to a Dog
kiwifarms.net
Except Celtic and the Sketchy Huntsmen apparently think it is.
They think they've somehow delivered a gift unto us all. Floof will talk it up everywhere, claiming their VRoid models are "better than Volume 8" (they aren't) and bashing the actual creatives of RWBY, some of whom are legit talented industry veterans at the mercy of poor executive planning.

It's "better" than RWBY the same way $1 is better than $0.

Random Internet Person

kiwifarms.net
The issues with Fixing RWBY can be broadly summed up as "The dialogue writing needs a lot of work, the story really isn't any better since he's kept all the overall foundational issues with pacing, the creator and many members of his creative team aren't much better than RT in the hack fraud department, and you're trading out RT's writing for quip filled Marvel movie writing written by a guy who embodies all the worst aspects of the 2007 era otaku and proofread by Diet Digibro".

EDIT: Yeah, I'd say that it's better than RWBY, but improving on garbage isn't an accomplishment in and of itself.

They think they've somehow delivered a gift unto us all. Floof will talk it up everywhere, claiming their VRoid models are "better than Volume 8" (they aren't) and bashing the actual creatives of RWBY, some of whom are legit talented industry veterans at the mercy of poor executive planning.

It's "better" than RWBY the same way $1 is better than $0.
Also, you know people say Jaune is Miles’ self-insert? People say the same thing about Celtic and Roman Torchwick (even if I don’t see it). Also, as for “improvement over absolute zero”, I guess you could say that, especially when it comes to anything involving Vernal and the Branwen Tribe.

Sleazy Car Salesman

kiwifarms.net
Also, you know people say Jaune is Miles’ self-insert? People say the same thing about Celtic and Roman Torchwick (even if I don’t see it).
If you read the guy's writing or listen to the way he talks in a stream you can hear a lot of his take on Roman Torchwick in it.

LordBaron

kiwifarms.net
And now, we're at 300 pages.

Is this blasphemy? Is this madness. No, my friends.

THIS!
IS!
RWBY!

Attachments

• this-is-sparta-sparta.gif
    this-is-sparta-sparta.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 18

Skipjack

Epitaph to a Dog
kiwifarms.net
If you read the guy's writing or listen to the way he talks in a stream you can hear a lot of his take on Roman Torchwick in it.
Also, you know people say Jaune is Miles’ self-insert? People say the same thing about Celtic and Roman Torchwick (even if I don’t see it). Also, as for “improvement over absolute zero”, I guess you could say that, especially when it comes to anything involving Vernal and the Branwen Tribe.

His way of speaking and writing is incredible verbose yet empty. You can take everything he says and half the length without losing anything. The way he manages to break basic sentence structure in an attempt to seem clever and suave is truly spectacular. However, much like stupid people trying to write smart people, this only makes him look more awkward and incompetent.

As far as rewrites/reboots go, my hot take is that RWBY works best as a Saturday morning cartoon with some moderate plot ala Star Vs before it got bad. It's just too stupid to do a full serial with.

Decepticon Spy

is a self Identified Autobot.
kiwifarms.net
How miserably bad at writing do you have to be that Arcane manages to be a superior version to seasons 7-8?

It's because the writers of Arcane told the story. They didn't waste our time explaining every single minute detail on why shit in or between Zaun and Piltover is happening. They didn't waste time giving the spotlight on a quirky (read as annoying) side character that don't advance the plot. Arcane just gave us the necessary info we need in the exposition and they started telling the story they've promised us, two sisters fighting on opposing sides, on a war between Piltover and Zaun, and that's just it. We don't follow the politicians running the cities, we do not follow the hobos scattering the slums, we follow the sisters and how they end up fighting on opposing sides.

Juan's Sombrero

Pirate sites are your friend.
kiwifarms.net
You mean the LoL Arcane? Yeah, RWBY can't touch that shit in a million years, it's too fucking kino. Irony is, I don't know shit about LoL, yet I loved Arcane.
You only need to take a glance at their lore to understand. That's it. No deep knowledge, study or introspective. Hell, a casual player would be perfectly aware who is who, which is which, and where is where.

For RWBY, you have to dredge through "lore", "side material", FUCKING TWEETS, and a "novel" that isn't even mostly canon.

Rezza

kiwifarms.net
You only need to take a glance at their lore to understand. That's it. No deep knowledge, study or introspective. Hell, a casual player would be perfectly aware who is who, which is which, and where is where.

For RWBY, you have to dredge through "lore", "side material", FUCKING TWEETS, and a "novel" that isn't even mostly canon.
Sounds to me RWBY is trying to do a Media-Mix but failing at that

Decepticon Spy

is a self Identified Autobot.
kiwifarms.net
Here's my take on RWBY rewrites; 9 out times of 10 they are fixing what is not broken, the worldbuilding. RWBY's setting is fine as it is and there's only one problem that just needs some omitting, the mythology, erase the gods, erase the relics, and change the maidens drastically. It's the plot that needs the fix, as it stands right now, it's basically a bad D&D session with a lousy DM that keeps inserting his political agendas in it. The characters are nothing because let's face it, they're avatars of the players who only started caring at volume 6 after being railroaded towards by the DM terribly. The main team are priority in rewriting and as far as I'm aware, Jerry Freeman was the only one to even bother on fixing them, everyone else is always too fixated on the villains or JNPR instead. And for the love of God, they should stop with overly dark and complex plotlines and character backstories, It doesn't suit RWBY no matter how much the Grimm tells otherwise. The Huntsman's power system also needs a fix but the damage is not as severe as the plot despite the RWBY critics, mainly CelticAutist. make it out to be.

Last edited:

Random Internet Person

kiwifarms.net
Here's my take on RWBY rewrites; 9 out times of 10 they are fixing what is not broken, the worldbuilding. RWBY's setting is fine as it is and there's only one problem that just needs some omitting, the mythology, erase the gods, erase the relics, and change the maidens drastically.
Given how they affect the world and how they seem to mostly be resulting in people coming across as chess pieces, especially pawns, I'm inclined to agree.

It's the plot that needs the fix, as it stands right now, it's basically a bad D&D session with a lousy DM that keeps inserting his political agendas in it. The characters are nothing because let's face it, they're avatars of the players who only started caring at volume 6 after being railroaded towards by the DM terribly.
Can't argue with that. Also, there's the fact that we have what's basically the plots of two different shows smashed together.

The main team are priority in rewriting and as far as I'm aware, Jerry Freeman was the only one to even bother on fixing them,
Except Jerry went way too far as far as I've heard. I don't think anyone wants Yang to beat Ruby to within an inch of her life in a sparring session out of some form of jelaousy and resentment.

everyone else is always too fixated on the villains or JNPR instead.
I mean, what characters are more interesting at this point?

And for the love of God, they should stop with overly dark and complex plotlines and character backstories, It doesn't suit RWBY no matter how much the Grimm tells otherwise.
You don't think so? Well first you have to do something about the Faunus being treated like crap and the Grimm being attracted to negative emotions since those are two of the biggest things that make the world feel like there's a lot of baggage. Also, with Team RWBY, you got each one with their own baggage but I guess most people just decide to go for drama in that regard.

The Huntsman's power system also needs a fix but the damage is not as severe as the plot despite the RWBY critics, mainly CelticAutist. make it out to be.
Yeah, rules and limits for powers and whatnot is what's desperately needed, and it's something I've felt was an issue for a while. As for "damage not severe"...you mean that things aren't so bad that you don't need to only do a reboot with a time consuming pre-production as the only way to fix the problems? At this stage in the game?

Sleazy Car Salesman

kiwifarms.net
Except Jerry went way too far as far as I've heard. I don't think anyone wants Yang to beat Ruby to within an inch of her life in a sparring session out of some form of jelaousy and resentment.
Here's the RWBY Alt if you want to watch it, it's a trip and an excellent case study into why worldbuilding is retarded and community worldbuilding even moreso.

Those are the main videos, there are like three more where the retarded community addendums are gone over and I think two streams where Jerry and his friends go through the community notepad for RWBY Alt and laugh at all the autism, and another video I haven't seen where he goes back through his original RWBY But Better video and gives a commentary on it.

Random Internet Person

kiwifarms.net
Here's the RWBY Alt if you want to watch it, it's a trip and an excellent case study into why worldbuilding is retarded and community worldbuilding even moreso.

Those are the main videos, there are like three more where the retarded community addendums are gone over and I think two streams where Jerry and his friends go through the community notepad for RWBY Alt and laugh at all the autism, and another video I haven't seen where he goes back through his original RWBY But Better video and gives a commentary on it.
There’s also these videos where he lays down the world of RWBY: Alt along with the characters and their arcs. After this was when he went “peace out”.

Edited to add Archives.

Last edited:

Sleazy Car Salesman

kiwifarms.net
There’s also these videos where he lays down the world of RWBY: Alt along with the characters and their arcs. After this was when he went “peace out”.
I'm retarded, I'd meant to add those as the last two videos but apparently ctrl+c, ctrl+v is too complicated for my smooth brain. He also has three or four more after thos called Smmunity Addendum where he goes over some truly autistic worldbuilding from the Discord, then he peaces out.

Recently he released a video stating that he was going back to RWBY Alt and he released that video I mentioned where he rewatches the original RWBY But Better video. Of course he also seems to be coping with his recent bout of getting ratio'd over High Guardian Spice pretty poorly so who knows?