RWBY - The Hindenburg on which Rooster Teeth rests its hopes, dreams and future

• Registration without invitation will be until July 4th, and we are reforming account penalties.

MalwareBytes has, again, blocked both the .net and .cc domains for the Kiwi Farms. Complain to them, not me.

Smith Wesson

kiwifarms.net
The Apathy arc is gonna be the most entertaining shitshow of them all though, except for maybe Juane's Sister. Remember that when he gave Roman a backstory in Volume 4 he made it so that Roman grew up on the Apathy farm? It's gonna be fucking wild retarded, ADVANCED retardation.
What kind of advanced retardation, though?

Manufactured drama in the Cotta-Arc couple just so Ray can wank off his lesbian angst fetish? Turn one of them bi and have them start and NTR each other?

I mean, since Saphron and Terra are like a perfectly normal and happy couple, there wouldn't be much to add really to the "shoujo-ai" ideal he has in his brain.

Or my God ... he's not going to resort to Bury Your Gays, right? You'd think he'd sink that low in Volume 6 just for shock value?

Random Internet Person

kiwifarms.net
Or my God ... he's not going to resort to Bury Your Gays, right? You'd think he'd sink that low in Volume 6 just for shock value?
Do you think he would?

I’m going to guess Roman and Neo get time to shine in Brunswick Farms when in the main show, it was done so the silver eyes could finally do something.
Manufactured drama in the Cotta-Arc couple just so Ray can wank off his lesbian angst fetish? Turn one of them bi and have them start and NTR each other?

I mean, since Saphron and Terra are like a perfectly normal and happy couple, there wouldn't be much to add really to the "shoujo-ai" ideal he has in his brain.
As if the show needed MORE of the Arcs going through issues…

Sleazy Car Salesman

Believe me when I say that I will take your money
kiwifarms.net
I have no idea exactly what he's going to do, but there's no way he can handle Roman being from the Apathy farm in a satisfactory way, and the setup of that plot point is actually self sabotaging when combined with everything else that's going on. Either Roman has to kill the Apathy, which will only serve to further the "Roman is a shallow and idealized self insert" argument as it undercuts the main girls since Ruby's silver eyes aren't going to be the superpower that both the original show and FRWBY have them framed as. Or he has Ruby kill the Apathy which totally undercuts and wastes Roman's backstory and empowerment arc of overcoming the source of all subsequent miseries in his life following the deaths of his family and friends just like he wasted the entire character of Vernal. In either case it's going to become The Room of FRWBY story arcs.

As for Juan's sisters? I also have no idea but I know that when they were introduced in V6 of RWBY they seriously rubbed Celtic the wrong way, for a guy who proclaims his fetish to be "comfy domestic lesbian fluff" he was really bothered by domestic lesbians living a comfortable and fluffy life. My guess is that it's going to become one of two things, either:

A) He doesn't really change their characters much at all but he makes it so that one of them was hurt by Grimm in a recent attack or some shit and now she's in intensive care and it's just a whole bunch of Hallmark melodrama.
or
B) He's going to make them super amazing badass huntresses that whoop asses and take names and are totally awesome you guys and don't take shit from no one and they kinda bully Juane a bit for being weak but that's what made Juane want to be strong and yadda yadda yadda you get the point. He'll sell this as something along the lines of "The Arcs are a warrior family and so his sisters are warriors I feel it's nice that Juane gets to have so many strong women in his life".

Option B is the one I think we're going to end up with. I'm sure there's a chance we get to town and they're dead, but given Celtic's proclivity for trying to flesh out every single character I'd be floored if he actually did decide to kill them, at least before forcing them in our faces for half the season first, then it's totally cool to kill them off for cheap shock value.

Smith Wesson

kiwifarms.net
Right. So since we're going to be talking about Ray's work, let's bring up Vernal's design.

We know that Mupa has like complete control over the design since day one, because drawing her as a discount Raven was on her and Ray's mind since day one.

I mean, really - why have the offer of letting everyone submit their ideas when it's only down to one or two people for EVERY character?

I'll just let you start soaking these early designs in from Mupa before I talk about the ones submitted by the other artists.

Attachments

• Mupa Vernal 3.jpg
    Mupa Vernal 3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
  • Mupa Vernal 4.jpg
    Mupa Vernal 4.jpg
    503.7 KB · Views: 37
  • mupa vernal 5.jpg
    mupa vernal 5.jpg
    680 KB · Views: 45
  • mupa vernal 6.jpg
    mupa vernal 6.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 47
  • mupa vernal 7.jpg
    mupa vernal 7.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 51

Mega Black

kiwifarms.net
Either Roman has to kill the Apathy, which will only serve to further the "Roman is a shallow and idealized self insert" argument
I can't wait for history to repeat itself. The one episode where Ruby actually got to do something without being overshadowed by the penis-haver, only for Celtic to swoop in and rob her of that in favor of his own smug self-insert. Beautiful.
A) He doesn't really change their characters much at all but he makes it so that one of them was hurt by Grimm in a recent attack or some shit and now she's in intensive care and it's just a whole bunch of Hallmark melodrama.
My gut says he's going to do something more like this, personally. He wants shorthand melodrama, his sticking point is that they're just normal people and that's boring but them being badass warriors who are still in a healthy relationship would still skeeve him out from my understanding. I find it unlikely he'd stray far enough away from the source material to murder them outright.
We know that Mupa has like complete control over the design since day one, because drawing her as a discount Raven was on her and Ray's mind since day one.
I will never be able to wrap my head around why they wanted to expand Vernal so much. Out of all the issues with Volume 5 I had the last thing on my mind was 'boy I sure do wish Vernal was more developed.'

Smith Wesson

kiwifarms.net
I can't wait for history to repeat itself. The one episode where Ruby actually got to do something without being overshadowed by the penis-haver, only for Celtic to swoop in and rob her of that in favor of his own smug self-insert. Beautiful.

My gut says he's going to do something more like this, personally. He wants shorthand melodrama, his sticking point is that they're just normal people and that's boring but them being badass warriors who are still in a healthy relationship would still skeeve him out from my understanding. I find it unlikely he'd stray far enough away from the source material to murder them outright.

I will never be able to wrap my head around why they wanted to expand Vernal so much. Out of all the issues with Volume 5 I had the last thing on my mind was 'boy I sure do wish Vernal was more developed.'
Probably because she got decent billing by Amber Lee Connors, and because Ray needs a contrast between Raven's lives and relationships with Yang's. And because he somehow thinks Weiss vs Vernal is good chemistry.

Anyways, while we're ragging on Ray, let's talk about the other Vernal designs.

Mixed Coffee Vernal 1.pngMixed Coffee Vernal 2.pngmixed coffee vernal 3.jpg

This row is Mixed Coffee's version. Not bad, tbh.

PeriDoritos Vernal 1.jpg

This one is Peridorito's, and I appreciate the fact that Vernal's chakram motif is reused here. How she can afford or find a railgun mechanism to maintain as a bandit is beyond me.

sun plank vernal 2.jpgsun plank vernal aka roc.jpg

Sun Plank's ideas for an Asiatic Vernal. Sun Plank is actually one of the better artists, tbh, because in a few simple strokes, he can convey so much. Personally preferred the masked one out of him, even though the one with the hentai bangs was reused as a goon named Roc.

illiac crestvein vernal 1.jpgredlock13.pngthemint99491572 Vernal 2.jpg

Iliac Crestvein's Vernal, Redlock13's and Mint's designs of Vernal are just ... meh to me, mostly because of the hodgepodge of the details and the dark green/brown color schemes. Not sure if you like muscle girls with midriffs, but there you go.

LyubiZ Vernal.png
Finally, my personal favorite out of the bunch, is LyubiZ's Vernal. Solid, consistent color palette and detail work, and something that retains some kind of punk look without going all in on the ancient Asia thing of Mistral.

But guys, what are your favorite versions out of the rest?

Juan's Sombrero

Pirate sites are your friend.
kiwifarms.net
Probably because she got decent billing by Amber Lee Connors, and because Ray needs a contrast between Raven's lives and relationships with Yang's. And because he somehow thinks Weiss vs Vernal is good chemistry.

View attachment 3296876View attachment 3296877View attachment 3296878

View attachment 3296880

This one is Peridorito's, and I appreciate the fact that Vernal's chakram motif is reused here. How she can afford or find a railgun mechanism to maintain as a bandit is beyond me.

View attachment 3296883View attachment 3296884

Sun Plank's ideas for an Asiatic Vernal. Sun Plank is actually one of the better artists, tbh, because in a few simple strokes, he can convey so much. Personally preferred the masked one out of him, even though the one with the hentai bangs was reused as a goon named Roc.

View attachment 3299888View attachment 3299889View attachment 3299893

Iliac Crestvein's Vernal, Redlock13's and Mint's designs of Vernal are just ... meh to me, mostly because of the hodgepodge of the details and the dark green/brown color schemes. Not sure if you like muscle girls with midriffs, but there you go.

View attachment 3299898
Finally, my personal favorite out of the bunch, is LyubiZ's Vernal. Solid, consistent color palette and detail work, and something that retains some kind of punk look without going all in on the ancient Asia thing of Mistral.

The one where she looks like a dwarf.

TheClorax

kiwifarms.net
Right. So since we're going to be talking about Ray's work, let's bring up Vernal's design.

I mean, really - why have the offer of letting everyone submit their ideas when it's only down to one or two people for EVERY character?

I'll just let you start soaking these early designs in from Mupa before I talk about the ones submitted by the other artists.

View attachment 3296876View attachment 3296877View attachment 3296878

View attachment 3296880

View attachment 3296883View attachment 3296884

View attachment 3299888View attachment 3299889View attachment 3299893

View attachment 3299898

All of these are better than the official design.
Not because they’re actually good though, Vernal’s canon look was just so garbage that anything is an improvement by comparison.

Smith Wesson

kiwifarms.net
Before we rag on Fixing RWBY's Salem, I would like to show the canon version fresh from the Grimm pool.

Jeez, Paul ... you really gonna show her butt ass naked? I thought RT wanted this as a kids' show, for crying out loud! Now Salem's the second naked chick and the third nude character overall!

Also what the fuck is with that pose and that look on her face!? My God ... as if we really need a reason to meme on her further. And her flat as a board ass ... those dipshits in RT want to keep things family friendly and they post shit like this. Just give up and fully embrace the horni, my dudes. You're halfway there when you made dakimakuras of the sexy genies.

Still, the hair looks nice. Wonder how long it'll take for those deviantart folks to catch on and make it a DL pack.

Smith Wesson

kiwifarms.net
It stopped being that when they started showing blood.
RWBY is honestly the wrong show to slap a PG-13 rating.

And somehow their emotionally stunted manchildren simps will lap it up in spite of the fact that this rating and how they marketed the show cost them a few important good pieces of writing. Look how long it took for UOW to start thinking for once instead of falling for the obvious bait.

Smith Wesson

kiwifarms.net
What do you mean by that?

Slapping a PG-13 rating causes Miles and Kerry to "hold back", if you know what I mean. While Aura would have existed nonetheless, they wouldn't be allowed to show off blood/many casualties due to alienating the target audience of kids and teenagers - a market Burnie was quoted that they wanted to get into.

I also believe the WF subplot was fumbled because they were scared of offending "imaginary Karens" due to "radicalizing children into homegrown terrorism plots by making the terrorists sympathetic". This was one of the reasons why the Fang and Adam were bastardized - apart from Adam being slapped with the "straight white male incel abuser analogy" just because he was another person Blake got involved with.

And it's also one of the factors why RT as a whole feels so much more ... sanitized compared to their early years. They feel ... restrained, even factoring in today's culture and their expansion. That, and their fanbase being loyal manchildren consoomers willing to screech at every minute detail, propping up the company with their merch and DVD sales - a low even by the reaction community standards.

Smith Wesson

kiwifarms.net
@TheClorax Not only that, but I dug through their Twitter account.

So basically, these are all of the earliest designs of Salem that Mupa put out, before settling for "Starving Shakira".

Mupa Salem 1.jpgmupa salem 2.pngmupa salem 3.pngmupa salem 4.jpgmupa salem 5.jpg

Salem was going to look like this - someone with generic Seer tentacles, and ... part of her thighs exposed for some reason. She also has generic bone plating on her chest. Very generic tier if you ask me.

mupa salem 6.jpg

Head and hair designs for Salem. Salem with a third eye and a darkness aesthetic is actually interesting. At least she won't have to superglue a crystal on her forehead for no goddamned reason.

mupa salem 7.jpg

More mid-tier dress designs inspired by Maleficent or whatever.

mupa salem 8.jpgmupa salem 9.jpgmupa salem 10.jpgmupa salem 11.jpgmupa salem 12.jpgmupa salem 13.jpgmupa salem 14.jpgmupa salem 15.jpgmupa salem 16.jpg

For some reason, she always prefers drawing Salem as a starving, figure. Like, she's immortal and made of Grimm juice and stopped aging. Miyazaki made his dragonoids starving to show how pathetic they look. This just adds to it. Also, Salem doesn't age, she gave birth, so why the hell would she starve in the first place?

mupa salem 17.jpg

mupa salem 18.jpg

See what I'm talking about? The only saving grace is her normal form, along with the vertebral spine. The decorations are good, but in the end they just recycled the canon bun. At least it doesn't look like a spider's ass now. While the cutouts look fine, it's still a tad too simple for someone who's menacing and alive for over so long.

Rhymes 19

kiwifarms.net
I’d mention “watch Arcane”, but then I realized she was talking about physical disabilities
Arcane said PTSD and gleefully murderous tendencies are part and parcel so that show can eat shit too.

Speaking of, Raymond took a shine to that nonsense as well, because he wants to rewrite the romance. Best of luck to him, I hope he somehow makes it even worse than what we got. At least Caitlyn meets the requirement for being the sad and pathetic one. And Vi insults everyone, which is supposed to be sarcastic humor I guess, so Raymond gets his snarky quips, too. Honestly, I'm not sure how much worse he can get than "go be a whore and get raped lol" but I trust he'll find a way.

The Apathy arc is gonna be the most entertaining shitshow of them all though, except for maybe Juane's Sister. Remember that when he gave Roman a backstory in Volume 4 he made it so that Roman grew up on the Apathy farm? It's gonna be fucking wild retarded, ADVANCED retardation.
I can't wait for Roman to have a sadboy moment and be comforted by Ruby, so we can see just how tragic and vulnerable that poor man is. After all, that's how you make things likeable. Then he'll use his super smart wits to save the day.

As for Jaune's sisters, remember how uncomfortable he was with them way back when? He kept stammering about how "alarm bells were ringing" in his head because the relationship didn't feel necessary or earned or something, and that he was mad the first positive romance in the show (untrue) wasn't a straight one. I'm sure he'll give the wives some drama.
You beat me to it.
or
B) He's going to make them super amazing badass huntresses that whoop asses and take names and are totally awesome you guys and don't take shit from no one and they kinda bully Juane a bit for being weak but that's what made Juane want to be strong and yadda yadda yadda you get the point. He'll sell this as something along the lines of "The Arcs are a warrior family and so his sisters are warriors I feel it's nice that Juane gets to have so many strong women in his life".

Option B is the one I think we're going to end up with. I'm sure there's a chance we get to town and they're dead, but given Celtic's proclivity for trying to flesh out every single character I'd be floored if he actually did decide to kill them, at least before forcing them in our faces for half the season first, then it's totally cool to kill them off for cheap shock value.
Again, he'll make sure they EARN the right to be happy. All lesbians have to, according to him.
@TheClorax Not only that, but I dug through their Twitter account.

So basically, these are all of the earliest designs of Salem that Mupa put out, before settling for "Starving Shakira".

View attachment 3313175View attachment 3313176View attachment 3313177View attachment 3313178View attachment 3313179

Salem was going to look like this - someone with generic Seer tentacles, and ... part of her thighs exposed for some reason. She also has generic bone plating on her chest. Very generic tier if you ask me.

View attachment 3313180
Head and hair designs for Salem. Salem with a third eye and a darkness aesthetic is actually interesting. At least she won't have to superglue a crystal on her forehead for no goddamned reason.

View attachment 3313181

More mid-tier dress designs inspired by Maleficent or whatever.

View attachment 3313182View attachment 3313183View attachment 3313184View attachment 3313185View attachment 3313187View attachment 3313188View attachment 3313189View attachment 3313191View attachment 3313192

For some reason, she always prefers drawing Salem as a starving, figure. Like, she's immortal and made of Grimm juice and stopped aging. Miyazaki made his dragonoids starving to show how pathetic they look. This just adds to it. Also, Salem doesn't age, she gave birth, so why the hell would she starve in the first place?

View attachment 3313193

View attachment 3313194

See what I'm talking about? The only saving grace is her normal form, along with the vertebral spine. The decorations are good, but in the end they just recycled the canon bun. At least it doesn't look like a spider's ass now. While the cutouts look fine, it's still a tad too simple for someone who's menacing and alive for over so long.
Mupa is afraid of detail, that's what I've learned.