RWBY - The Hindenburg on which Rooster Teeth rests its hopes, dreams and future

Random Internet Person

Chopper’s doctoring!
kiwifarms.net
All you need to do is cut all mentions or hints of Salem and have Jaune hurl himself with Cinder out the tower while Adam just runs away making a "this isn't over Blakeuuu!!!" if the goal is to just end the series at Volume 3 (with Blake and Adam's history relegated to a spin-off). Cinder already was enough of a "big evil" for the series at that point, even accepting that supposedly Salem was a Monty character (and even then it's embarrassingly obvious that what Salem turned out to be doesn't fit with what we're told in the earliest talk on Remnant/Ozpin's history).

Actually, build on that spin-off pitch. Instead of making the universe forced to revolve around RWBY just accept that their story, as a team anyway, really ended in Volume 3. Have say, Volume 7 happen with Team FNKI stepping in against Jacques' schemes that snowballs into driving off Salem's minions. And so on.

Speaking of Ozpin, I'm telling you, the headcanon where he was "Evil" or at least a chessmaster treating everyone around him as pawns in a huge game of chess wouldn't have taken off like it did if he was a milf lady ala Glynda (or even if Glynda was there in Ozpin's place).
To me, the problem with Cinder then Salem is that they spent two volumes painting Cinder as this endgame final boss threat, and then they shifted to her being the Darth Vader to the Palpatine. They needed to establish Cinder working for somebody, like she reports to someone with a phone call or establish she’s a middleman. Alternatively, get rid of Mercury and Emerald or have it be she didn’t recruit them because 1 and 2 painted those three as “the main villain and her henchmen.

As for Ozpin, the problem isn’t that he’s a dude. The problem relies on Volume 5 revealing what little agency Ruby and company have, and continuing to have a bunch of shady shit done while hand waving it with some bullshit about “choice”.

Reactions: Roland Daggett

Sayon

kiwifarms.net
I didn't say Ozpin's problem was him being a male. I said that if he was a milf the crowd down in tumblrland would be much more excusing towards him. Which they would be going from how Ilia and Sienna are treated compared to Adam.

• Agree

Chilson

kiwifarms.net
Monty didn't just sneak stuff in out of nowhere. Monty had to fight RT for that scene with Yang and Raven to be included so they absolutely knew about it. But they hated his ideas and retconned that scene out of existence as soon as he was dead. Monty did have a tendency to spontaneously introduce things, most notably being Neo during Volume 2, but they worked together on the show. It's clear Monty was the soul behind RWBY and Miles and Kerry were there writing the story he came up with. The plothole came because Miles and Kerry are such whiny bitches they got mad that Monty wanted to follow through on the plotline of Yang meeting her biological mother... which was set up from Yang's first appearance in the original trailers. We can see just how badly Miles and Kerry did that plotline later after sidelining Raven for no reason.

I don't believe Monty ever had any real concrete plan for the show, but I do think he had a bunch of ideas. I still say that the idea that Monty had detailed plans for 10 Volumes and Miles is just following that is a fucking lie. I don't think Monty told Miles and Kerry everything he had in his head, but they don't care. They didn't want to listen to Shane or Monty's wife or anyone who could have possibly helped. Miles wanted to turn the show into his thing and you can tell with how severely Volume 4 changes things that Miles and RT wanted to scrub the show clean of Monty's influence before his body was even cold. With Monty gone yes that does hamper things but any halfway decent writer could continue the story in a way that's at least serviceable. These two idiots couldn't even manage that and shat the bed as soon as they were in charge. We didn't even get Monty's ideas for Volume 3, just Miles' attempt at executing a few scattered ideas Monty had.

Volumes 1 and 2 felt pretty consistent with each other. Generally lighthearted but then would occasionally dip into something a bit more serious but the show was never all that dark. There was never any real danger of something ultra dark happening. Until Volume 3 and the show veered right off a cliff and offed some of the most interesting characters. Roman is still the only villain who was even worth a damn to begin with and they got rid of him quickly (after sidelining his character for damn near 3/4 of the Volume). I completely agree with you the first couple seasons felt like they set things up pretty well, even with some stumbling in the execution. Now they try to make the show a massive world spanning epic but can't figure out how to world build to save their lives.

Yes Miles and Kerry were put on RWBY when Monty requested writers to help him. He admitted that he's not the best writer and needed help, but unfortunately for him he got Chucklefuck 1 and Chucklefuck 2 for help. And the second Monty is out of the picture they can't even manage to hold together a single plotline for just a few episodes. It's pathetic.

I think the best decision would have been to just let the show die and leave it at the first two Volumes. If they wanted to continue it they needed to take a lot of time off and get better writers involved to help with the show. There's a lot of potential with the show but it needs work, especially when the guy behind the show suddenly died leaving them with only incomplete ideas and a few things Monty had told them. They could have written the show well even if they were picking up the pieces, but RT doesn't care about quality they wanted money from RWBY.
You have to remember that RT, at the time headed by Burnie, had no fucking faith in Monty to create his vision in the first place. They threw him a bone because he was their best animator and they didn't want to lose him. They likely thought he would likely give up having to do his normal workload on top of his pipe dream, because they frankly gave him no resources to actually make this pipe dream happen. You can see that by just how cheap and short everything was in season 1 (and the unsubtle way that Burnie was super surprised by the popular reception).

My point being that RT handed him Miles & Kerry to "help" because they were Monty's friends and were otherwise worthless resources that could be used in order to keep a much more valuable asset. Ironically, it was the unexpected success of RWBY that propelled these two worthless morons into greater positions of authority, something they did not earn or deserve in the slightest.

Its a real kick in the balls when the very dead end project you throw your employees into ends up being their way into the upper echelons of your organization.

Pixy Misa

Your local evil magical girl.
kiwifarms.net
I love to read everyone's ideas on how to fix RWBY, and if someone ever makes a fan fic about it, I would love to read it.

But that being said, am I the only one that thinks that the whole Relics, ancient humanity, brother gods, plots are dumb and the show would be better by axing them?

Reminds me of Assasin’s creed. The “mind-bending” super secrets of humanity’s past, about ancient god aliens or something just aren't as interesting as the plot about assassins vs Templars and actually being an assasin in an exotic location of the past.

Similarly, I think RWBY would be better focusing on being an action anime like it did in early seasons and not a poor man’s assassin’s creed, because, frankly, all the "big reveals" have been huge letdowns so far and I don't think the writers have the skill to pull it off..

Last edited:

Sayon

kiwifarms.net
But that being said, am I the only one that thinks that the whole Relics, ancient humanity, brother gods plot are dumb and the should would be better axing them?
No you're not. The Relics are unneeded when we already have the Maidens so one or the other needs to go (and the leftover one perhaps taking traits from the axed one). The gods should have stayed strictly within myth especially since the show glances over the obvious crisis that would come from learning there are not only gods who made the world but what comes after death.

Like about to squart?
He's exaggerating. The showrunners just pander to tumblr/twitter while keeping all the actual fags/dykes kept to side characters. The lorebook even listed Ilia as a past romantic option for Blake but not Yang.

Random Internet Person

Chopper’s doctoring!
kiwifarms.net
You have to remember that RT, at the time headed by Burnie, had no fucking faith in Monty to create his vision in the first place. They threw him a bone because he was their best animator and they didn't want to lose him. They likely thought he would likely give up having to do his normal workload on top of his pipe dream, because they frankly gave him no resources to actually make this pipe dream happen. You can see that by just how cheap and short everything was in season 1 (and the unsubtle way that Burnie was super surprised by the popular reception).

My point being that RT handed him Miles & Kerry to "help" because they were Monty's friends and were otherwise worthless resources that could be used in order to keep a much more valuable asset. Ironically, it was the unexpected success of RWBY that propelled these two worthless morons into greater positions of authority, something they did not earn or deserve in the slightest.

Its a real kick in the balls when the very dead end project you throw your employees into ends up being their way into the upper echelons of your organization.
IIRC, RvB Season 10 was still going on (which many consider to be around RvB’s peak), and Monty started working on RWBY then. Also, the Red trailer was his pitch/proof of concept. Also, I think Monty said the RT higher ups were actually very cool with RWBY and gave him what he needed.
I love to read everyone's ideas on how to fix RWBY, and if someone ever makes a fan fic about it, I would love to read it.

But that being said, am I the only one that thinks that the whole Relics, ancient humanity, brother gods, plots are dumb and the show would be better by axing them?

Reminds me of Assasin’s creed. The “mind-bending” super secrets of humanity’s past, about ancient god aliens or something just aren't as interesting as the plot about assassins vs Templars and actually being an assasin in an exotic location of the past.

Similarly, I think RWBY would be better focusing on being an action anime like it did in early seasons and not a poor man’s assassin’s creed, because, frankly, all the "big reveals" have been huge letdowns so far and I don't think the writers have the skill to pull it off..
Yeah, Volumes 2 and 3 were pretty good enough places to end the series if you wanted to pull the plug after Monty died. My thing is that they needed to introduce the bigger story further so the tone shift wouldn’t be as jarring. Instead of having Cinder be painted like the main villain, show her reporting to somebody or explaining she’s a middleman if you want to have a Darth Vader/Palpatine thing going on.

heyilikeyourmom

a lunatic just barking at the moon
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
He's exaggerating. The showrunners just pander to tumblr/twitter while keeping all the actual fags/dykes kept to side characters. The lorebook even listed Ilia as a past romantic option for Blake but not Yang.
So nobody’s shquarting?

Last edited:

Chilson

kiwifarms.net
IIRC, RvB Season 10 was still going on (which many consider to be around RvB’s peak), and Monty started working on RWBY then. Also, the Red trailer was his pitch/proof of concept. Also, I think Monty said the RT higher ups were actually very cool with RWBY and gave him what he needed.
I think it was all just a token effort on their part to keep Monty, but i can see why others would think they were fully behind it. I absolutely do not think they gave what was needed, the cheapness of the first season is all the proof I need for that. My real point was that Miles and Kerry were always hanger ons who got really lucky with who they hitched their horse to.

Cactuar King

kiwifarms.net
I think it was all just a token effort on their part to keep Monty, but i can see why others would think they were fully behind it. I absolutely do not think they gave what was needed, the cheapness of the first season is all the proof I need for that. My real point was that Miles and Kerry were always hanger ons who got really lucky with who they hitched their horse to.
I'm curious, how much do we know about Kerry? Miles has been a vocal dipshit, and he's been (rightfully) slammed plenty, but I don't think Kerry's been talked about much. Less than Miles anyway.

Random Internet Person

Chopper’s doctoring!
kiwifarms.net
Eh, call me “optimistic” or “too nice” if you want, but when it comes to RWBY, while I can come across as critical, I don’t want to sound like a hater 100% of the time.

BroccoliBrain

my corpus callosum is green
kiwifarms.net
@Roland Daggett Yeah, I misremembered the exact way he went against their wishes, thanks for typing that up. I am pretty gutted at the loss of Yang meeting her mother and where that would have went.
Here's a question: go back to when Monty died was breaking news. If RT decided to either end the series after Volume 3 since it was already in production, or cancel it leaving Volume 2 to be the last thing made of RWBY, and RT just released a blog post or a video detailing Monty's future plans for the series and just leaving the fans that, would that be something you'd be cool with?
Let it be cancelled, an early cancellation inspiring countless "what ifs" feels a lot better than watching something rot slowly. I wasn't that invested in RWBY so I would've moved on quickly. The only reason I'm still around now is to see what this thread has to say about it and because the exceptional fanbase RWBY attracted makes my kiwi senses tingle.

Sayon

kiwifarms.net
I thought a RWBY made by credible showrunners that didn't have any of the baggage from Seasons 1-2 and either sticks strictly to what came after or reworks what didn't. Rough ideas:
-There are no academies churning out huntsmen. The series as it goes on makes the whole huntsman system uneeded (recall. Someone like Qrow can just be in Ozpin's inner circle as his stealthy repo man.
-Ruby and Yang aren't birth sisters since Yang is more defined by being Raven's daughter than she is Ruby's birth sister or even Qrow's niece.
-No White Fang and really the fantasy racism is radically changed if not gone.
-Ozpin is a high up in the establishment figure who has a whole network of a "shadow state" (spies, sabotours, mercenaries, etc.) backing him in his endless war with Salem.
-RWBY isn't really a team.

Pixy Misa

kiwifarms.net
Let it be cancelled, an early cancellation inspiring countless "what ifs" feels a lot better than watching something rot slowly. I wasn't that invested in RWBY so I would've moved on quickly. The only reason I'm still around now is to see what this thread has to say about it and because the exceptional fanbase RWBY attracted makes my kiwi senses tingle.
About letting RWBY die after Monty's death, well my opinion is that the only thing that's holding this show back is its writing. That's it.

The music is genuinely amazing and the one thing I can say is top-notch, the character design is good, the animation isn't top-notch, but it's passable enough for a small studio, the writing is, to put it mildly, fanfic tier bad. Everyone except the writing team is either doing an ok or even a great job.

The saddest part is that RWBY had the potential of being a great show if it had been in the hands of a competent writing team. Maybe instead of wasting money on celebrity voice actors, they could've hired someone with experience from the industry. And with that RWBY could've easily continued without Monty with great success.

Last edited:

Xandius Maximus

An incompatible combination of circumstances
kiwifarms.net
About letting RWBY die after Monty's death, well my opinion is that the only thing that's holding this show back is its writing. That's it.

The music is genuinely amazing and the one thing I can say is top-notch, the character design is good, the animation isn't top-notch, but it's passable enough for a small studio, the writing is, to put it mildly, fanfic tier bad. Everyone except the writing team is either doing an ok or even a great job.

The saddest part is that RWBY had the potential of being a great show if it had been in the hands of a competent writing team. Maybe instead of wasting money on celebrity voice actors, they could've hired someone with experience from the industry. And with that RWBY could've easily continued without Monty with great success.
The character designs in the first three volumes were great, but the designs in later ones look really boring, too realistic, or downright ugly, as demonstrated in The Judgemental Critter's video regarding the subject.
And that's not even mentioning how bland and plastic-looking everything is after they switched animation software.
The biggest problem with RWBY is that it was originally just Monty fucking around and letting rule of cool overriding the narrative, rather than a serious attempt at making a concrete and consistent show. Way back in volume 2 you have team RWBY fight a mech that looks straight out of Halo and clashes with the art style of the show. The CRWBY tried going for a more realistic direction with its art and writing in the post-Monty volumes, but it just clashes with what was previously established, and still looks terrible. To truly fix RWBY you're gonna have to go back to the drawing board for everything, from the writing to the art direction, and put competent staff without political agendas in charge.

Pixy Misa

kiwifarms.net
The character designs in the first three volumes were great, but the designs in later ones look really boring, too realistic, or downright ugly, as demonstrated in The Judgemental Critter's video regarding the subject.
As someone that absolutely hates the redesigns, I have to agree. Though like you said, I still think the character designs of early seasons were really good, and in fact, they are one of the biggest reasons the franchise has lasted this long as people fell in love with the potential they had.

Volume 4 redesigns kinda worked like the alternate outfit for a character in a fighting game kind of way. I can see Judgemental Critter complaints and she has a point for all the new characters not standing out very well, but the redesigns still made sense for artists experimenting with a variation.

Volume 7 redesigns are just horrible. No question. In particular Blake's and Weiss. The former seems like they just tried to cash in on how well-received her mom's design was, and the later went from an elegant fencer to Fate's Altria ripoff.

Why people praise those is beyond me. Or maybe it's just me? The lack of complaints about them really disappointed me.

Last edited:
Tags
None