Thing is, having a kitchen sink situation is not really a bad thing if you know how to do it right.Don't forget Weiss being a necromancer. And really, the wall between magic and Semblances is poorly done since:
A. They made Semblances too much of a kitchen sink situation where the users have whatever powers the showrunners thought wuz kewl or do whatever they needed for the plot. How is something like Qrow or Robyn's Semblances not magic?
B. What we see of magic from the Maiden isn't different enough from Semblances.
I already posted about this but they would have done better if they had the Maidens and Relics be one. Give a Maiden something more abstract.
- One Piece has Devil Fruits of all kind
- HxH has a whole concept of Nen
- Jujutsu Kaisen has highly complex powers
- Chainsaw Man also has unique powered characters
- Ma'Cademia has a unique powered people everywhere
- Black Clover has unique magic for all
If one's just a bad writer anyway than it's on the writing of the show than the concept itself. If you're just a shit writer who doesn't know how to write, let alone make shit coherent. Than you'll always be fucking called out.