• "how can i take a cwiki forum down?"

salon.com wants to rape your computer

Discussion in 'Articles & Happenings' started by CatParty, Feb 13, 2018.

Forum Guidelines
  • Hide your powerlevel. Avoid revealing intimate, personal details about yourself in public boards. These threads are not your personal blog and we are not an asylum.
  • Create accurate topic titles. Threads should be labeled correctly and avoid sensationalist language.
  • Cite an article. This board is for content aggregation and should feature at least one source.
  • Don't post if you have nothing to say. Stop making single-sentence replies to every article you see. If anyone could write your post, it doesn't need to be made.
  1. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...o-mine-cryptocurrency/?utm_term=.1df77cd76b16

Claiming that ad-blockers have cut "deeply" into its revenue, the media company Salon is asking some readers to bolster its bottom line — by helping the site generate cryptocurrency.

The move, launched Sunday, makes Salon one of the first major online publishers to adopt virtual currencies as an alternative revenue stream, and highlights the ongoing difficulty that many news sites face in an era of declining ad income. In an interview, Salon chief executive Jordan Hoffner said that early data suggests some users are choosing to support the alternative funding model.

"If it’s a new thing, we want to be there first and make our mark," Hoffner said. "We are a small company in tune with innovation."

Visitors to Salon.com who have an ad-blocker enabled now see a pop-up asking them to donate their spare computing power to generating monero, a cryptocurrency known for its privacy-protecting properties.

upload_2018-2-13_12-50-53.png

Readers who opt into the plan must then permit a third-party program called Coinhive to run in the background of their Web browser.

upload_2018-2-13_12-51-9.png

The technology is designed to consume a reader's unused processor power to help perform the decryption needed to create new monero coins, which are currently worth about $233 each. If enough readers participate in the program, Salon reasons, it could lead to meaningful revenue.

"We realize that specific technological developments now mean that it is not merely the reader’s eyeballs that have value to our site — it’s also your computer’s ability to make calculations, too," Salon says in an FAQ posted to its site. "Indeed, your computer itself can help support our ability to pay our editors and journalists."

Salon's embrace of Coinhive comes at a sensitive moment. The software has increasingly been linked to malicious activity, in which hackers force a website to run Coinhive's otherwise legitimate code and, in turn, recruit unwitting visitors to the site into mining monero without their consent. Major U.K. and U.S. government websites have been hit by this attack in recent days, in a high-profile example of what experts call "cryptojacking." In October, the fact-checking site Politifact was also the victim of a cryptojacking attack.

The creators of Coinhive have said that they did not anticipate their software being misused to facilitate illegitimate cryptocurrency schemes, and that the money generated by the attack on the government websites — all of $24 — has not been paid out to those responsible. They added in an interview with Motherboard that the entire Coinhive project has yielded "a few million USD in total."

The legitimate use of Coinhive could open a broader discussion about the economics of online content, some analysts say.

Whereas online ads can be obtrusive and distracting, allowing websites to turn excess computing power into money could be a low-profile alternative.

"[Coinhive] is a white-label solution," said Hoffner, arguing that many fringe technologies often begin with illicit connotations but gradually become mainstream. "You have to take a historical perspective when a disruptive technology comes to market."

Should more websites shift to this business model, it could lead to outside consequences, such as greater energy consumption. But, Salon said in its FAQ, putting the world's excess computing power to use could also have its benefits.

"Some scholars," the site said, "have proposed using spare computing power to help secure voting and verify the integrity of democratic elections."

https://archive.is/jsM9p

• Informative Informative x 14
    • Feels Feels x 1
    CatParty

CatParty Boo
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  2. good

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Autistic Autistic x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    ICametoLurk

ICametoLurk Flying space Nephilim riding on doomsday asteroids
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  3. People who go to Salon.com deserve it, tbh.

• Agree Agree x 32
    • Feels Feels x 1
    • DRINK DRINK x 1
    Varg Did Nothing Wrong

Varg Did Nothing Wrong LETS FIND OUT

kiwifarms.net
  4. I do not consent

• Feels Feels x 11
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt It's been a good run
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  5. Only faggots go to Salon to not mine rediculous articles or salt.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Rumpled Foreskin

Rumpled Foreskin Definitely not a prepubescent yellow boy
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  6. "Turn off that pesky adblock!"

• Winner Winner x 18
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 3
    • Feels Feels x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    NumberingYourState

NumberingYourState Maintained Professionalism

kiwifarms.net
  7. God damn Salon supporting computer rape culture.

• Feels Feels x 5
    • 🤔 Provocative x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  8. Or I can just block the iframe containing the pop-up and the massive iframe preventing me from scrolling, and add them to my blacklist of elements.

This only appeals towards idiots who fall for their shit.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • 🤔 Provocative x 2
    m0rnutz

m0rnutz Maybe not a spy

kiwifarms.net
  9. This is offensive to my computer.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Feels Feels x 1
    I'm Yogurt

I'm Yogurt My avatar is a placeholder

kiwifarms.net
  10. I give up on even making fun of shit like this. Remember when nool got mocked for trying this shit and it was completely in the open and totally ethical?

And now shit like Salon is doing it and trying to be sneaky about it? Even though they instantly get caught?

How is it possible even to make fun of this? It's absolute madness.

• Agree Agree x 26
    AnOminous

AnOminous the funk of forty thousand years
    True & Honest Fan Retired Staff

kiwifarms.net
  11. No, he got reported to the FBI.

• Informative Informative x 3
    ICametoLurk

ICametoLurk Flying space Nephilim riding on doomsday asteroids
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  12. I bet the cucks running the malware domain lists will give Salon a pass on this though.

• Agree Agree x 7
    SkeletonBias420

SkeletonBias420 I HAVE FOUND A DEAD BODY **emotional**
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  13. Remember when some fag sperged like mad over it? Forgot who though.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • 🤔 Provocative x 2
    • Feels Feels x 2
    vertexwindi

vertexwindi Cheese and clogs

kiwifarms.net
  14. It's not rape if you consent

• Informative Informative x 2
    • 🤔 Provocative x 2
    • Feels Feels x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  15. The FBI can suck about a million dicks. They can't do dick.

Nobody even remembers them. That's how gay they were.

I just tried to remember their names but I couldn't.

• Feels Feels x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 1
    AnOminous

AnOminous the funk of forty thousand years
    True & Honest Fan Retired Staff

kiwifarms.net
  16. Helps that they got banned like a fag.

Even Cucky was more memorable.

• Feels Feels x 5
    vertexwindi

vertexwindi Cheese and clogs

kiwifarms.net
  17. He was just trying to get out of eating the hat.

• Winner Winner x 11
    • Semper Fidelis Semper Fidelis x 1
    SkeletonBias420

SkeletonBias420 I HAVE FOUND A DEAD BODY **emotional**
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  18. Salon botnet now. Now they can pay their pedos directly in pedotoken.

• Feels Feels x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  19. Who would have thought that a editorial policy of seeking to normalize pedophilia would fail to result in increased ad revenue and profit growth?

• Agree Agree x 7
    • 🤔 Provocative x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  20. Not that I'd ever go to Salon, but my computer is so old that using it with some miner running would probably make it explode.

I have adblocked the "we see you are running an adblocker" popups on some sites. And it worked while I stayed on the page.:lol:
    But it doesn't really work well on most sites. They are probably getting craftier about people bypassing their ads.

Please allow us to consume your excess electricity to pay our bills.

I have serious reservations about how it would affect voting.

I don't want my tiny bit of excess computer power being used for anything by anyone if I can help it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Dysnomia

Dysnomia You do not have DID

kiwifarms.net