San Francisco residents cover sidewalks in rocks to keep away homeless - Well if the city won't help...

Damn Near

It's lovely to be here, thank you for having me
kiwifarms.net
They are as soundly devoted to denying the impact of mental health and addiction issues on homelessness as they are to denying the viability of nuclear power. And I don't know why. I don't get it. At the absolute best attempt at reasoning, they'll maybe tell you that asylums were terrible inhumane places. But so what then, the "solution" is to do nothing? Toss them onto the street, let them starve and suffer and die? As @Tour of Italy said above, their progressivism is all driven by spite, they want the whole world to believe they're morally superior while they treat the homeless like a NIMBY game of hot potato.

What is it with denying mental health as an issue? Any sane homeless person who actually wants and would benefit from being given a leg up with housing support will tell you that for every one of them, there are ten more homeless people who are just despicable, violent drug addicts who actively resist attempts to offer them help. They want to shit up the streets and live like animals because even the bare minimum of responsibility that comes with being a non-violent member of society is too much for them. But they treat politics like hot potato just the same as they do their physical neighborhoods - if it's mental health then the Democrats have to admit there's more complexity to the issue, but if we just say it's all about being priced out then I guess the Republicans are all at fault. Even though this shit only happens in gentrified, hipster leftarded cities that praise themselves for being bluer than an eskimo's balls.
If you give these people affordable housing, the result is affordable housing with shit-covered walls, and burnt carpeting drenched in piss

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
kiwifarms.net
What a badass group of neighbors/homeowners, banding together to clean up their area when local city government is ineffective. The only thing I think is less than ideal about boulders is that if they are not heavy enough, they could be picked up and used as a brickbat by irate homeless. Also it might be easy for a homeless to pretend to trip over the boulder and sue for damages on that basis. The trip hazard thing is very risky.

I had a similar problem with a 10 yd stretch of sidewalk, which I ended up entirely obstructing with an improvised cheveux-de-frise, entanglement obstacle made from brush and tree debris. From a distance, it looks like bulk landscaping waste waiting for municipal trash collection, up close it prevents homeless from camping out on the sidewalk.

Logan

Sergeant Lucy
kiwifarms.net
Glad I don't live in a city like San Francisco. The suburbs are better.

• Agree
Reactions: Coh

Absolutego

kiwifarms.net
Clinton Park sits in the Mission Dolores neighborhood, home to the city’s oldest building along with a median home value and condo listings that top $1 million. Real estate company Redfin estimates houses overlooking Clinton Park at more than $1 million in worth as well

“I’m not rich. I’m having a hard enough time making it myself. .”

median home value and condo listings that top $1 million.
Believe me when I say there is no population in this country more blind to their own privilege than the Bay Area neoliberal "progressive". It's six counties where the Fat Cats consider themselves the oppressed proletariat (in spirit at least) because they cut a check every Christmas to save the whales/feed the illegals, which obviously makes them morally superior both to their conservative brethren and the dirty poors cluttering up their streets. I want to joke it's because they all made their money too fast to age out of their college politics, but a shitload of these people have been acting like this for 40+ years, so maybe there's something about the area that just attracts clueless oligarchs in denial.

They are as soundly devoted to denying the impact of mental health and addiction issues on homelessness as they are to denying the viability of nuclear power. And I don't know why. I don't get it. At the absolute best attempt at reasoning, they'll maybe tell you that asylums were terrible inhumane places. But so what then, the "solution" is to do nothing? Toss them onto the street, let them starve and suffer and die? As @Tour of Italy said above, their progressivism is all driven by spite, they want the whole world to believe they're morally superior while they treat the homeless like a NIMBY game of hot potato.

What is it with denying mental health as an issue? Any sane homeless person who actually wants and would benefit from being given a leg up with housing support will tell you that for every one of them, there are ten more homeless people who are just despicable, violent drug addicts who actively resist attempts to offer them help. They want to shit up the streets and live like animals because even the bare minimum of responsibility that comes with being a non-violent member of society is too much for them. But they treat politics like hot potato just the same as they do their physical neighborhoods - if it's mental health then the Democrats have to admit there's more complexity to the issue, but if we just say it's all about being priced out then I guess the Republicans are all at fault. Even though this shit only happens in gentrified, hipster leftarded cities that praise themselves for being bluer than an eskimo's balls.
It's simple: have a naively utopian conception of how the world works to the extent your average middle schooler would call you a dipshit, and then reconcile that with the fact that most homeless are dismissive, if not outright hostile, to offers of treatment/assistance for drug addiction. If you're the level of left-libertarian that thinks literally everything the police do is oppressive and you already hate capitalism and generally view the homeless as inanimate manifestations of its evils as it is, blaming the whole thing on rich landlords raises a lot less cognitive dissonance than contemplating how you force treatment onto these people to actually deal with the problem.

RodgerDodger

kiwifarms.net

I wish I could find a clip of it, but in his last year as Mayor of New York Rudy Giuliani had an interesting and very insightful exchange at a press conference. There was a MASSIVE winter storm bearing down on New York City. Giuliani had ordered the Police to get the homeless off the streets by pretty much any means necesary. Get them to shelters, ER's churches. Arrest them if need be! Just get them indoors. As expected the New York Slimes and Daily News went apoplectic. "They grilled them How Dare You! How could you do this to these people! How dare you violate their rights!" Rudy stared them down and responded "How can we not? These are our brothers our sons our fathers. It is cruel and inhumane to leave them out there. We have a responsibility." It left the limousine liberal journalists rather shocked. They actually had a brief "are we the baddies" moment of self reflection. (before resuming normal programming.)

Echo_Ender

Doggo
kiwifarms.net
If you give these people affordable housing, the result is affordable housing with shit-covered walls, and burnt carpeting drenched in piss
This is absolute truth. There's a reason Section 8 housing zones are consistently the worst in a city, and it's not because they give them shitty houses. A lot of them just turn their section 8 houses into literal crack houses, fuck shacks, or toilets/trashcans.

These people do not give a fuck. They don't want to get better. They see anyone trying to help them as a sucker that they can exploit. Anything given to them is just something they can trade/sell/fuck up because they're bored.

They don't give a shit about anything but getting drunk/high/fucked up. The ones wanting help have already found it.

one_time_user

liar. obviously
kiwifarms.net
the guy in the article that says 'o, you cruel people, you could have just talked to us' is an idiot. like shit smearing and drug dealing people like him don't KNOW those things may be frowned upon and will just have an epiphany when someone mentions it to them?

every one of those protesters should give one of the homeless people their address and bus fare to get there if they're so warm hearted.

Feline Supremacist

I am a Dog-Exclusionary Radical Felinist
kiwifarms.net
Rudy stared them down and responded "How can we not? These are our brothers our sons our fathers. It is cruel and inhumane to leave them out there. We have a responsibility." It left the limousine liberal journalists rather shocked. They actually had a brief "are we the baddies" moment of self reflection. (before resuming normal programming.)
Giuliani's a dick but he was right about a lot of things. Now the media gets mad if the homeless aren't dealt with by the outreach workers in Penn Station.

queue-anon

kiwifarms.net
The ree-ing about hostile architecture really gets on my nerves. The homeless will sleep directly in front of entrances to buildings, for fuck's sake. Is it really worse to put spikes in the way so they can't do that rather than have the first schmoe who shows up for work in the morning be the one who has to ask them to leave? And if the homeless sleeper won't leave, the cops have to get involved, ideally just to arrest the asshole for trespass, not to investigate the homicide of the early morning worker.

It's better for all involved for the homeless to self-quarantine under bridges and in greenbelts. Spite is absolutely the name of the game for these woke cretins. They want the rich punished for their sins and are apparently losing no sleep over most of the victims of the homeless being poor* or middle class.

*The main victims of the homeless are other homeless.

Vitruvius

Gnaeus, load the onagers.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It really is amazing to me how California's governing bodies are completely incapable of understanding unintended consequences. The process for literally EVERY SINGLE ISSUE is "Hey, lets throw more of others peoples money at the problem and never do any kind of followup! If we just give free shit to people the people who need that stuff will finally shut up and we'll look really good and virtuous!"

It doesn't take a genius (or even a fucking third grader) to realize the problem with that plan when all the grifters and drug addled degenerates from other states hear "Cali is giving out a bunch of free shit; the people there are cucked and won't beat you to a bloody pulp if you set up an encampment on their front lawn and use their flowerbeds as an open sewer. Let's go panhandle for a bus ticket."

Who could have predicted that removing disincentives and even actively incentivising vagrancy would cause a vagrant problem. Don't even get me started on the free healthcare for illegals up to 26 years of age horse shit. Christ, the whole state needs a deadly pandemic style plague to strike. A nuclear warhead might not be enough at this point.

Homeless come in two varieties: the temporary unfortunates and the mentally ill. Most of them, especially those who are long-term homeless, come in the latter variety.

They tend to be druggies, criminals, and cannot be controlled. If you give them an apartment they will wreck it and move on. They infest every public place they're allowed in and make them into such wretched places that the homefull just stop going there entirely.

Homeless of that sort ought to be banished from all the cities, so that they can starve in the wilderness.

Echo_Ender

Doggo
kiwifarms.net
I've heard this same thing about the Roma in Europe who get public welfare housing.
For all the "They're misunderstood and discriminated against!" crap people try to defend the Roma with...

Every single European friend I have hates them with a passion. They're like our homeless if you swap the drugs and prostitution (But keep the alcoholism and street shitting) for rampant pickpocketing, muggings, and stealing everything that isn't nailed down

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino