Sauces thread - What are some of the sauces you make yourself?

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon. I REALLY WISH THEY'D HOTFIX THIS SO I CAN REMOVE THIS NOTICE.

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What are some sauces you routinely make for yourself in the kitchen? Either for cooking or as a condiment? These are my favorite go too things. Keep in mind I eye ball all the ratios so i am kinda guessing on the ratios.

Basic bitch BBQ sauce.

Diced onion lightly sauteed in butter
Ketchup
Mustard
Worstechire sauce
A little brown sugar
A little paprika
A little garlic powder
A little onion powder
A few dashes of hot sauce.
A little black pepper
A little salt

Sometimes I substitute the brown sugar with maple syrup.

I use this mostly with any leftover pork or chicken I have. Makes some slammin sammiches

--

Balsamic Reduction Sauce

1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar into a frying pan
1 tablespoon of butter
Pinch of salt
Tablespoon of brown sugar
Some black pepper
Some garlic powder
Pinch of ground chipotle powder

Pour cup of balsamic vinegar into a fry pan with butter and slowly melt the butter into it. You dont want things to get too hot. Once the butter has melted in add the sugar and seasonings. Heat and stir until it starts steaming good. Keep an eye on it. The goal is to get most of the water out without burning it.

Once done it should have the consistency of syrup. I love putting this shit on round roast and London broil. Basically any of your oven cooked red meats. Good on mashed potatoes too or as a way to finish off carrots as a side or onions as a topping for a burger or hot dog.

Basic Asian Sticky Sauce

1/2 cup of soy sauce
2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
A pinch of ground ginger
2 cloves of garlic, minced
A tablespoon of peanut butter
A tablespoon of brown sugar
A tablespoon of corn starch
A dash of chinese 5 spice powder if you got it but not necessary. The big things you want out of it is peppercorn and cinnamon which every kitchen should have. Pinch of both.
You can add some chinese or mexican whole chilies to the entire thing to make it spicy or chinese chili sauce if you got it. Sriracha is good too.

Add the olive oil, garlic and chinese spices to the pan. Heat until recently browned. Add in the soy sauce, vinegar and sugar. Stir until its halfway reduced. Add the peanut butter. Stir until mixed in completely. Then add the corn starch. Keep stirring until it combines and becomes sticky. If it doesnt congele add a bit more corn starch. If it congealed too much add more soy sauce.

I use this one for my asian stir fries. It's great on rice too and holds up in the fridge for left overs

Francis York Morgan

FBI Special Agent
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Don't have the time right now to post one of my recipes, but I do have some advice for people who want to make their own sauces.

1. Learn how to make a good roux. It's an essential part of three of the five mother sauces and the best gravy.

2. Rehydrated peppers are your friends. I like to rehydrate my dried peppers in a good broth rather than water because it adds a little more richness.

Curious Addie

kiwifarms.net
Steak au poivre with a creamy pan sauce is both easy and delicious.

Take a couple steaks (I prefer ribeye) and salt them, then thoroughly encrust them in cracked green peppercorns.
Pan fry in butter. Use a heavy cast iron skillet.
Remove the steaks and turn down to medium-low.
Taking the pan off the heat, give it a splash of brandy or cognac.
Return to heat, light the brandy, and scrape the pan.
Add some heavy cream and simmer for a few minutes, stirring constantly, until it reaches the desired thickness.

Absolutego

Making dough but not enough to blow
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Its a massive pain in the ass to make right (and a good forearm workout), but sauce bearnaise is the ultimate steak sauce. I really need to get a proper double boiler so I don't have to constantly adjust while trying to whisk the melted butter into the egg yolks.

A lot of online recipes insist on shallots and white wine vinegar but the shallots are entirely unnecessary and soaking the tarragon leaves in white wine instead makes the end sauce far richer than if you tried to reduce vinegar.

MembersSchoolPizza

Sworn Brother of the Cult of Browning
kiwifarms.net
Not exactly my invention, by a long shot, but it is my own recipe:

French Fry Sauce
(Forgive the lack of exact measurements, I just eyeball it)

About 3/4ths mayonnaise (Must be mayonnaise! Not miracle whip!) to 1/4th ketchup
A dash of Worcestershire sauce
A sprinkle of garlic powder
A sprinkle of onion powder
A sprinkle of black pepper
A sprinkle of cayenne pepper

Shrimp sauce

Mayonnaise as desired
To mayonnaise add:
A generous squirt of sriracha (About 4:1 mayo-sriracha)
A fair dash of soy sauce
A small dash of sesame oil
A sprinkle of onion powder
A spoon full of lao gan ma, or a dash of hot chilli oil if you don't have that or you don't like the texture of lao gan ma

Does gravy count as a sauce?

Sausage Gravy

1 lb good breakfast sausage (tube-bought sausage will work, but the real stuff out of a good meat counter is better)
6 cups whole mìlk
1/3rd cup all-purpose flour

Break up sausage into small crumbles in a large, deep skillet or similar pan on medium heat. I use a chicken fryer. Cook until mostly brown, but a little pink is fine, you're not done cooking. If the sausage is too lean, add a couple tablespoons of butter, or a tablespoon of bacon grease if you have it. You want a fair bit of grease in the bottom of the pan for the next step

Sprinkle the flour over the meat and stir until the meat is completely coated in the flour, which will then absorb the grease.

Continue to cook the meat for about three or four minutes, until the flour is toasty.

Reduce the heat to about 1/3rd (I use 3 on electric stove), and add in two cups of mìlk.

Then add...

Worcestershire sauce to taste (Approximately a teaspoon)
Course-ground black pepper (A generous amount, 1-2 tsp)
White pepper (1/4th teaspoon)
Cayenne pepper (1/4th teaspoon, 1/2 if you like it spicier)
Garlic powder, maybe a half teaspoon
Powdered sage (1/4th teaspoon)
Dried onion flakes (2 teaspoons)
Salt (1/2 teaspoon)

Stir frequently. As it begins to thicken up, add another two cups of mìlk. Continue stirring. When it begins to thicken again, add the final mìlk. Cook until it reaches your desired thickness. Remember to be sure to scrape the bottom and the walls of the pan, the mìlk will form a layer on the pan that you want to scrape off and let it dissolve into the gravy, it helps it thicken.

Serve over biscuits (for breakfast), or mashed potatoes (for a different, but delicious, supper)

Freshly Baked Socks

what would YOU do with a brain if you had one?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I learned this pro-tip from a greasy spoon diner that produced tasty food. It goes a long way towards the ease/pleasure of making eggs benedict regularly.

How can you make "dried packet" Hollandaise sauce mix taste better/palatable? Two things, instead of adding milk, use half and half. Also, add fresh lemon juice as a final step - it helps the cream thicken in the sauce (and adds flavor). I've even tried champagne & cream instead of milk in a pinch - which is also luscious.

TFT-A9

I identify as a 55-ton quadmech, shitlord
kiwifarms.net
Most common sauces I make from scratch are Alfredo (pathetically easy), teriyaki (also pathetically easy) and sausage gravy for biscuits.

Alfredo is basically "make a roux with butter, add cream/half and half, a little salt and garlic, and then whatever else you want to tart it up with". Teriyaki is soy sauce with some honey/brown sugar, maybe garlic and fresh grated ginger, maybe a dash of sesame oil". Gravy is "make a roux with sausage grease and a little butter if needed, add half and half or whole milk, season with sage, paprika and chili powder, salt to taste". There's also sauce for pad thai, typically involves tamarind, fish sauce, sugar (preferably palm sugar) and chili flakes.

MissDrama

I'm here for the chaos.
kiwifarms.net
Garlic sauce.
A bit of mayo, crushed garlic, melted butter, bit of salt and some species.
Put on toast. 10/10

Ol Dirty Fatso

assigned fashion police at birth
kiwifarms.net
I made a lemon shallot cream sauce for some ravioli tonight.

Mince shallots and grate lemon zest, melt butter in a pan, add shallots and saute until soft over medium heat, add lemon zest and cook until fragrant. Add heavy cream (let it come to almost room temperature to avoid curdling) and chicken bouillon (i bet white wine would work well too), let simmer till it thickens. Add a little lemon juice at the end

Ol Dirty Fatso

assigned fashion police at birth
kiwifarms.net
I learned this pro-tip from a greasy spoon diner that produced tasty food. It goes a long way towards the ease/pleasure of making eggs benedict regularly.

How can you make "dried packet" Hollandaise sauce mix taste better/palatable? Two things, instead of adding milk, use half and half. Also, add fresh lemon juice as a final step - it helps the cream thicken in the sauce (and adds flavor). I've even tried champagne & cream instead of milk in a pinch - which is also luscious.
If you're going to make eggs Benedict just make hollandaise from scratch, all it is is lemon, butter, and egg yolk... you're already going to the effort of fresh lemon juice and you have eggs and probably butter anyway, no need to use the packet stuff.

Sweet and Savoury

Null-like homunculus
kiwifarms.net
Simple pan sauce

Shallots, garlic and white wine to deglaze

Render down, add butter. Season to taste

Easy, awesome and makes you look badass to the plebs who cant figure out how to boil water.

Zebedee

Lives under beds, feeding on fanta stains.
kiwifarms.net
Garum, it’s a fish sauce that as you can expect, is great for fish dishes. Found it on a historical youtubers site.

Jamma Ramma

kiwifarms.net
I make all sauces from scratch. If you can make basic white sauce you can make “sauce” . 2 tablespoons of fat and 2 tablespoons of flour with one cup liquid. Viola! Add herbs or flavoring as desired.

Triple Flutz

kiwifarms.net
There's this super simple sauce I really like making that's Scotch bonnet based. I cook to taste so these are approximated measures, but it's pretty close. It has garlic in oil without added acidity so it needs to be stored in a cold fridge, and depending on how cautious you like to be, keep in mind that it should be discarded after 7 days at most for absolute safety- botulism is the concern with garlic in oil. People also use tomatoes to up the acidity content, but I prefer without- if you do, add 2 roma tomatoes and adjust other ingredients to your taste.

Ingredients: About 30 scotch bonnets, one white onion, 3 garlic cloves, 3 maggi cubes, salt to taste. Habanero peppers work fine if you don't have easy access to scotch bonnets, but it will alter the taste.

Add all ingredients to a culinary robot, process to a thick puree- you want it to be less smooth than tomato soup but smoother than chunky salsa- you don't want a mouthful of pure pepper. Put at the bottom of the pan you'll be using for this, cover the mixture with a neutral oil, simmer for 30-60 minutes, store in a clean glass jar in the fridge- for those not used to jars, ideally you would want to let the sauce cool down or just bring the jar to a higher temperature with hot water before adding the hot sauce. It is especially good on rice and whole fish.

I initially posted this under hot sauces, but this one specifically talks about recipes so I figure it would fit here better.

CloacaRimjob

kiwifarms.net
Heres a really nice sauce if your having pork chops. I love it, I could drink the stuff.

Cook your meat then leave it to the side.

Fry half a diced onion in the pan you cooked your pork in with some butter.

Add around half a can of cider, deglaze the pan then let it reduce a little.

Add a chicken or pork stock cube, a little bit of mustard (Colmans probably best) then some double cream, let it sit for a bit. Add pepper if you need it.

Also goes nice over mashed potatoes, I tend to use magners for the cider. Shop nearest to me only does them in 4 packs though so it's an excuse to drink too.

Garum, it’s a fish sauce that as you can expect, is great for fish dishes. Found it on a historical youtubers site.
Max Miller by any chance?

Zebedee

Lives under beds, feeding on fanta stains.
kiwifarms.net
Heres a really nice sauce if your having pork chops. I love it, I could drink the stuff.

Cook your meat then leave it to the side.

Fry half a diced onion in the pan you cooked your pork in with some butter.

Add around half a can of cider, deglaze the pan then let it reduce a little.

Add a chicken or pork stock cube, a little bit of mustard (Colmans probably best) then some double cream, let it sit for a bit. Add pepper if you need it.

Also goes nice over mashed potatoes, I tend to use magners for the cider. Shop nearest to me only does them in 4 packs though so it's an excuse to drink too.

Max Miller by any chance?
That's the one

Honk Hill

I sell Zyklon B and Zyklon B accessories.
kiwifarms.net
Mushroom sauce

Mushrooms, sliced thin af
Butter
More butter
garlic
spring onions or a shallot
cream
white wine
fresh herbs, dill or chives, flat leaf parsely is fine
salt and peppper

cook mushrooms, garlic and onions slowly for about 10 mins in butter, add white wine, let it reduce, add the cream let it reduce, add seasonings

leave it saucy for pasta, reduce it right down for a steak or schnitzel topping