Sauces thread - What are some of the sauces you make yourself?

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

We need a 3PL

AnOminous

Only the rarest and smuggest of Goodmans
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have a really simple marina-ish base that is just canned plum tomatoes, San Marzano are nice but not really necessary, oregano and/or basil, olive oil, salt, and garlic, and then just whatever else seems nice. I don't really blend this but just crush the tomatoes by hand. This will do for pasta or pizza.

Also chuck the liquid in the tomato can, this stuff isn't good.

You can just start with this and add peppers and/or a very small amount of sugar, as in if you can taste it, it's too much. The worst thing about jarred pasta sauce is the ridiculously excessive levels of sugar or, worse, corn syrup. Then throw in a savory, this can be really anything, fish sauce, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, even anchovies, mushroom, Vegemite or Marmite, not very much, just enough to bring out the other flavors. Capers are nice too but I usually don't keep those around for the once or twice every year I might use them.

Then you can just cook this right before eating it.

It's barely more effort than opening a jar and a lot better.

It keeps for at least a week and freezes well.

The Wichita Lion

kiwifarms.net
I shared this one in the Cooking with Jack thread last year.

1/2 onion, grated
12 oz apple cider vinegar
19 1/2 oz ketchup
19 1/2 oz water
2 1/4 tbsp salt
2 1/4 tbsp sugar
2 1/4 tbsp ground black pepper
2 1/4 tbsp chili powder
Bring all ingredients to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 30 to 45 minutes or until sauce gets dark, not red.

Miss Misery

Supposed Sigma Female
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I make the best Hollandaise ever. Don't make it in a blender or (god forbid) from a packet. Do it right with a double boiler and all lemon juice instead of lemon/water. And no mustard powder ever! Also Bernaise sauce for steaks.

Oh speaking of steaks, if you like steak au poivre, try steak Diane. Sautee steak in butter, remove from pan, sautee minced shallots, deglaze pan with dry fortified wine like sherry, Madera, or Marsala. Add parsley and a tiny bit of Worcester sauce and let simmer a bit. Finally add a splash of cream to thicken and serve over steak.

Also since I discovered how amazing Chick-fil-a sauce is I've found a knock-off recipe for that I'll make occasionally, since I live too far from CFA to have a steady supply. It's essentially mostly mayo with honey mustard, BBQ sauce, and lemon juice.

PeggieBigCock

Degenerate Mommy
kiwifarms.net
I make really good spicy chili sesame peanut noodles, get some chink sesame chili oil, throw Udon or thin egg noodles into the pan after boiling, toss until coated, turn the heat off and add two scoops of chunky peanut butter chopped scallions and toasted sesame seeds and mix that shit. Remember to thank me and God.

SparklyFetuses

kiwifarms.net
1 can of beer
1 onion
2 red apples
Mustard
Dill

Cut the onion and apples (the pieces' shape doesn't matter, but if smaller they'll be tender soon) and cook them with beer*. Season the pieces with 2-3 circles of mustard and a pinch of dill.
When you notice that the pieces are tender, turn the whole content into a puree thing with a blender, and voila.

- If the sauce is too liquid for you, you can reduce it in the same pot you've used.
- You can cook pork and the stuff above in the same pot (to save some time). Don't forget to put the pork aside before using the blender, tho.
-Salt isn't required due to the mustard's ingredients, but you can add a lil' bit if you want to.

Edit: Forgot to mention that if you're going to fry the onion and apples (before adding the beer) , you can add a piece of butter (besides the oil, not only to make them tastier but also to reduce the chances of getting the butter burned)

Last edited:

TheGreatDodongus

kiwifarms.net
- 5-6 crimini mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1-2 tbspn unsalted butter
- Flour
- 1 cup homemade stock
- 1/4 cup marsala wine
(I use sweet because that's what I have, but dry would work, and might even be preferable)
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- pinch of cayenne and lemon pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste

1. In saucepan, melt butter, add mushrooms. Sprinkle with small pinch of salt and saute on medium/medium-high until golden brown on both sides.

2. Lower heat to medium/medium-low. Add enough flour to form thin roux, 1-2 tbspn. Stir until roux just begins to brown.

3. Add marsala, deglaze pan with spatula. Add stock and Worcestershire. Raise heat as necessary until a simmer is achieved. Add a small pinch of cayenne and lemon pepper. Maintain simmer and reduce until sauce thickens slightly, or desired consistency is achieved. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

^ A really nice, savory sauce for meat dishes, that you can throw together quickly and then just cover and set aside until necessary without having to worry about it. I like to serve it on pork chops.

Last edited:

Shidoen

... .--. .- -.-. . / -. .. --. --. . .-. ... --..-
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
1/3 bottle of tequila
1/3 slices of ghost pepper
1/3 jar of basic salsa
Put in a large mason jar and just shake the shit out of it till it mixes.
Use on anything and everything.

Nonconsentual Pronouns

Apocalyptic Troon Patrol
kiwifarms.net
I cook tri-tip roast dinners over the course of an eight hour day, partially because of the reduction I concoct to turn into a gravy that's as black as night.

Two finely sliced onions go into the dutch oven with the pre-seared pepper-seasoned tritip, some garlic powder, a couple cartons of beef broth and a mini bottle of cabernet sauvignon. The roast cooks uncovered in the oven, getting turned every so often until its structural integrity becomes questionable and the onions have completely disintegrated. Out comes the roast, the pot goes on the burner, another carton of broth gets added and it reduces into what almost looks like ink. Sift and whisk in some white flour, let it cook, and you've got yourself a gravy and dipping sauce that reminds people why the housewife life needs to make a comeback.

Archeops

Trying to find the meaning of Life, no luck so far
kiwifarms.net
I love BBQ sauce but none of the ones I have can match a good soda-infused BBQ sauce.

-1 12oz can of soda. I tend to use either Pepsi or Dr. Pepper but I know some people use root beer or Coke. Also, DON'T even consider using diet soda.
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1/4 cup of water (use more if the sauce is or gets too thick for you)
- 2 tablespoons of white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of liquid smoke (optional)
- a pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- a splash of whiskey (optional, but almost always included when I make it)