Science Scientists manage to reverse entropy and the arrow of time via quantum computer - not quite time travel but

MediocreMilt

There is always time to talk about our feelings.
kiwifarms.net
before anyone else also says they call bullshit, i realised i should have edited the op to clarify it. basically, the process as outlined by the paper and described in the op would be akin to dropping a vase and shattering it, and then managing to reverse that process and refom the initial vase again out of the shattered fragments.

again, the actual paper has been linked in the op as well. it's still nowhere near TRUE & HONEST TIME TRAVEL but effectively managing to reverse entropy is quite remarkable.
What exactly is the difference between running time backwards on the shattered vase and creating a process that unshatters a vase while moving forward in time then in that analogy?

I mean if I'm using Word and I hit the undo button, I've reverted the document to a prior state but no one would call it a step toward time travel.

TendieMan

State funded hot tendie delivery service
kiwifarms.net
Hold up, so what you're saying is that we can take Chris of the present and move him to the past and make him date himself for shits and giggles?

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: mindlessobserver

kcbbq

A Shaggs record would be a sound investment
kiwifarms.net
What exactly is the difference between running time backwards on the shattered vase and creating a process that unshatters a vase while moving forward in time then in that analogy?

I mean if I'm using Word and I hit the undo button, I've reverted the document to a prior state but no one would call it a step toward time travel.
You also have to ignore the fact that the system does include a computer that is paying the price of entropy to believe that this ignores thermodynamics. If entropy appears to be decreasing you are not looking at the entire system.

It is pretty amazing for what it is, which is not time travel or a cosmic free lunch.

Marvin

Christorical Figure
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You also have to ignore the fact that the system does include a computer that is paying the price of entropy to believe that this ignores thermodynamics. If entropy appears to be decreasing you are not looking at the entire system.

It is pretty amazing for what it is, which is not time travel or a cosmic free lunch.
Keeping the quantum bits from decohering requires you to expend a lot of energy outside just keeping things steady.

A

AA 102

kiwifarms.net
So I got a chanced to read through the paper, and from what I can parse out, I really don't doubt the results, but I also don't think they violated the second law either. If I had to guess, there's something really subtle happening that's making it so their "isolated system" isn't as isolated as they may think. If not, then there's some underlying quantum fuckery going on that may not be known about yet.

Also reeee science journalism, the paper doesn't even talk about reversing time at all.

Positron

Subconsciously Suberogatory
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is the notion of "entropy" even applicable to a solitary electron?

The physicist explains that the evolution of the electron state is governed by Schrödinger's equation. Although it makes no distinction between the future and the past, the region of space containing the electron will spread out very quickly. That is, the system tends to become more chaotic. The uncertainty of the electron's position is growing. This is analogous to the increasing disorder in a large-scale system—such as a billiard table—due to the second law of thermodynamics.
I'm not sure this is a valid analogy to make. For a start the evolution of the wavefunction only indicate our uncertainty about the exact location of the electron; it doesn't mean the electron literally is granted more and more space with passing time, in the same manner as when you put a drop of ink into a big beaker of water.

As for the evolution of the qubits, when the reseachers introduce their "Stage 3" special program, are we sure we are still dealing with an isolated system? I can smash a cake on your face and then, painstakingly and using lots and lots of energy, scrap off every bit of cake and cream from your face and put everything together so the cake looks just as good as new. This doesn't mean I have reversed time.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino