Scoob! 2020 CGI Scooby Doo reboot - Surprisingly, the cast list actually looks pretty damn cool.

OneEyedCool

kiwifarms.net
As a kid I hated Scooby Doo. as an adult I learned to appreciate it
When I watched it as a kid, the 1970s originals had the animation done in the most irritating process. The characters all moved their bodies like quadrupeds 90% of the time unless there was a chase scene. You'd see a human char move his/her head a few inches back/forth with eye movement and shoulder hump, and that was it. Scooby wasn't allowed to bounce around like a real dog he'd be restricted as if his back was broken in moving his withers barley a centimeter or his stiffles were as solid as a rock. His hind feet looked like they were permanently broken as the pastern was routinely always bent.

L50LasPak

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
kiwifarms.net
Mystery Incorporated is the best iteration
Eh. Despite liking cosmic horror and Harlan Ellison I had a suprisingly hard time getting into that one. The characters kind of all acted like really obnoxious exagerrations of themselves; which was sort of always been an issue from reboot to reboot but I felt like it was really obnoxious there.

To give an easy example: Freddie's autistic obession with traps (not that kind). In a bunch of the older Hanna Barberra cartoons a some kind of elaborate trap to catch the bad guy was a common gag, nowhere near exclusive to Scooby Doo. So it just felt out of place and I kind of wish they just ditched the whole idea and went with a more straight-up mystery flick just with the characters of Scooby Doo. It pretty much worked for Zombie Island; I dunno why they were afraid to try a whole series with a somewhat darker premise without having a bunch of dumb gags like that.

I could level other criticisms at it but I don't outright hate it so I don't want to run it down too badly. Its just a little overrated to me.

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
I watched the first 2 animated scooby doo movies (Zombie Island and Witch's Ghost) earlier today in a watch2gether with some pals and had an absolute blast. They actually hold up decently well and while far from scary (at least to adults) do have pretty strong atmosphere. Also was surprised to learn that Cam Clarke was in Zombie Island and Tim Curry was in Witches Ghost.

Last edited:

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dick Dastardly and Captain Caveman what in the actual fuck.
Seems like a nice enough attempt but the voices bug me.

That time Shaggy and Scooby were Jin Ruh Roh was pretty funny.

Reactions: Hatoful Dandy

UnKillFill

How come he don't want me man?
kiwifarms.net
I haven't seen any of the more recent Scooby Doo shows so I don't know if this is an old development or not, but I genuinely like the idea of Scooby Doo being named after Scooby Snacks. (I always had the impression it was the other way around in the old show, even though that doesn't make any sense.)

Reactions: L50LasPak

Introvertigo

kiwifarms.net
So aparently, even though America is opening up slowly, movie theatres aren't opening up yet, so Scoob is being released on streaming services on Friday.

Also isn't kind of overkill that there are many recent movies, put on streaming services? I mean it is okay yeah, but the way it is going with the high prices to see these recent movies may turn streaming into the new movie theatre. Which is kind of ironic since people thought that streaming services will become the next cable. Looks like there predictions were close but no cigar.

Quijibo69

Worse Title Ever!
kiwifarms.net
So aparently, even though America is opening up slowly, movie theatres aren't opening up yet, so Scoob is being released on streaming services on Friday.

Also isn't kind of overkill that there are many recent movies, put on streaming services? I mean it is okay yeah, but the way it is going with the high prices to see these recent movies may turn streaming into the new movie theatre. Which is kind of ironic since people thought that streaming services will become the next cable. Looks like there predictions were close but no cigar.
I hate the fact it's 20 bucks for a movie and not a disc copy I can touch. There's always the magic internet fairies to get it from.

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
I haven't seen any of the more recent Scooby Doo shows so I don't know if this is an old development or not, but I genuinely like the idea of Scooby Doo being named after Scooby Snacks. (I always had the impression it was the other way around in the old show, even though that doesn't make any sense.)
I think that concept was introduced in a Pup Named Scooby Doo or that one terrible live action movie

• Agree
Reactions: Uncanny Valley

UnKillFill

How come he don't want me man?
kiwifarms.net
I think that concept was introduced in a Pup Named Scooby Doo or that one terrible live action movie
I watched A Pup Named Scooby Doo, and I don't remember that being a part of it. (But I could totally be wrong.)

Either way, I've had a few more thoughts since that post you quoted. -Mainly, it was exceptional that the cop asked for a dog's middle and last name. I've had multiple dogs over the years, none of them ever even had a middle name, and if they had a last name... it was just my family's last name...

Assuming the cop has to stay a moron, I would have re-written the scene the following way:

Cop: This mangy stray is coming with me.
Shaggy: He's not a stray!
Cop: Ok then, what's his name?
Shaggy: His name is... (seeing a box of Scooby snacks) Scooby!
Cop: Middle name?
Shaggy: (seeing some random dude smoking a joint) Doobie? And that totally fits. We all know Shaggy grows up to be a pothead.
Cop: Last name.
Shaggy: (seeing a pile of Scooby's dog shit) Doo?

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
So apparently even in 2020 studios haven't learned to stop trying to establish a cinematic universe. Cause yeah scoob hints at the existence of one more then dawn of justice did. And possibly worse than the mummy did because like the later I'm fairly certain there's not gonna be a scoob 2 let alone a plethora of Hanna Barbara animated movies in the near future.

Clumsy executive mandated cluster fuckery aside it's pretty meh. Not As bad as the live action movies or even anything put out by minion studios aka illumination or Sony but I hope you didn't have your hopes up for it being groundbreaking or spectacular

TrippinKahlua

No other love compares to that of a father and son
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is Captain Caveman still in it or did the execs realize he’s from the wrong Hanna-Barbera property?

Because that’s like Fantastic Max (anyone remember that?) meeting with with Yogi Bear and Mr. Spacely from the Jetsons.

Reactions: Hatoful Dandy

Bread Fetishist

Public enemy to bakers everywhere
kiwifarms.net
Is Captain Caveman still in it or did the execs realize he’s from the wrong Hanna-Barbera property?

Because that’s like Fantastic Max (anyone remember that?) meeting with with Yogi Bear and Mr. Spacely from the Jetsons.
I mean, Captain Caveman could totally fit into a Scooby Doo movie. Remember that crossover episode in Mystery Incorporated?

Tags
None