Scoob! 2020 CGI Scooby Doo reboot - Surprisingly, the cast list actually looks pretty damn cool.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So is it true they put in a toxic masculinity line into the film for no reason?
Oh my God, did they? Was it from the policewoman chick who Fred went gaga over or what? My brothers are watching it downstairs (I'm hearing laughter) but I turned down the offer to watch it because the character designs kinda bug me and I also just am not really interested in watching it. I was on the fence about it from the start, but I was always leaning more towards "pass".

• Informative
Reactions: L50LasPak

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
Oh my God, did they? Was it from the policewoman chick who Fred went gaga over or what? My brothers are watching it downstairs (I'm hearing laughter) but I turned down the offer to watch it because the character designs kinda bug me and I also just am not really interested in watching it. I was on the fence about it from the start, but I was always leaning more towards "pass".
No aparently its velma. Also the police woman is a trap

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Burning Fanatic

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
No aparently its velma. Also the police woman is a trap
That's out-of-character of Velma to bring up toxic masculinity, and yikes. Just yikes. That's not out-of-place in anime, but I honestly can't think of anything in a Western cartoon where a character who looks like a girl is actually a guy, both in voice and demeanor without a hint of irony.

EDIT: *has looked it up* OH. Oh that trap. Okay disregard my "yikes", actually that's funny.

Pickle Inspector

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just watched the movie and it’s generally okay (It has its moments), a mediocre Scooby-Doo film with a lot of fun easter eggs but it has the problem of shoehorned in wokeness - All the human male characters aside from maybe the main villain Dick Dastardly are bumbling idiots (Which is most noticeable with Fred), Velma seems to now be vaguely ethnic for some reason and some of the new cast are almost by the number tropes like ‘black girl who is really good at science’ and then there’s the scene where Velma shouts “Toxic masculinity!”, it’s just kind of disappointing but the movie is okay if you have low expectations and are willing to put up with the new voice actors.

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
All the human male characters aside from maybe the main villain Dick Dastardly are bumbling idiots (Which is most noticeable with Fred)
To be honest, Fred had been Flanderized into being a bit of an idiot since at least A Pup Named Scooby-Doo. It's kinda to be expected nowadays. Still is disappointing to hear about everything else, though.

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
I'm surprised they didn't go full bore and make Velma a lesbian or trans. Anyway, I'm one of those old school types who think Scooby Doo jumped the shark back in the 60's when they started letting celebrities do inksuit cameos. (Although it is fun trying to explain to a modern child who the hell Jerry Reed was...) I'm also not a big fan of the whole "They made the monsters real you GUYZ!" thing that the franchise eventually did. I think the whole point behind the original series was to help install healthy skepticism into kids by always having the scary ghost or the local folklore monster be a guy in a suit. Making the monsters "real" really undoes this. I mean, you've got PLENTY of kids shows where the monsters were real. Why not have a show grounded in the real world where the heroes could disprove such things? (Yeah, I know. The show had a talking dog. When I said grounded in the real world I meant it in a relative sense.)

Also, fuck the show producers for tossing in the phrase "toxic masculinity". Cartoons should be the one place kids are free from political activism apart from generic civic messaging like "racism is bad...mkay?"

L50LasPak

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
kiwifarms.net
They made the monsters real you GUYZ!" thing that the franchise eventually did.
To be fair that worked precisely once and never again.

Also I've checked out the toxic masculinity clip and while it is really cringeworthy I think they just threw it in as a gag. We don't even see Velma's face when she says it.

quickthrowaway

kiwifarms.net
Just yikes. That's not out-of-place in anime, but I honestly can't think of anything in a Western cartoon where a character who looks like a girl is actually a guy, both in voice and demeanor without a hint of irony.

EDIT: *has looked it up* OH. Oh that trap. Okay disregard my "yikes", actually that's funny.
Fred being into traps is established lore.

deeman

Seinor Geinus.
kiwifarms.net
Wow, could this mean that Top Cat is coming back in theese EU times... wait what? They already made a reboot? And it sucked? Humbug. My life is ruined.

Guts Gets Some

Don't lose your way
kiwifarms.net
How is this news? This has been happening for Scooby since the 60's. It's constantly being brought back, continued, or re-invented for new audiences.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Pees out the side of his dick
kiwifarms.net
They seem to be struggling to manage mandatory wokeness with the fact that these characters are very recognizable. Just look at the last live action movie.
The entire movie looks like shit and it starts with the girl wearing a bad wig who looks nothing like Daphne.
I had no idea this was a thing, and I wish it stayed that way.

Tags
None