Disaster Scottish Labour leaflets sent in Welsh instead of Gaelic - Dè a ’chaochag mhòr

Aristophanes

Writing plays for Lolcows since 446 BC
kiwifarms.net
Article

Scottish Labour has sent hundreds of voters in the north of Scotland leaflets which include Welsh text instead of Gaelic.

The bilingual leaflets were sent out by the party across Ross-shire as part of their campaign ahead of the European elections on 23 May.

A spokesman for the party said it appeared that boxes had been incorrectly labelled at the printers.

He stressed that no personal data had been shared.

Green MSP for the Highlands and Islands John Finnie tweeted a picture of the leaflet, which had English down one side and Welsh down the other.

Alongside the picture of the leaflet, he wrote that he was a "big fan" of the Welsh language - adding "canan uabhasach math" which is Gaelic for "a very good language".

"Seems @scottishlabour are keen to promote [the Welsh language] too, by this leaflet, across Highlands and Islands", he commented.

Labour later shared a statement from a Cardiff-based printer apologising for an error that meant boxes of leaflets were incorrectly labelled and sent to the wrong locations.

Earlier this year, the party was criticised for using shots of the Welsh mountain Tryfan in Snowdonia in a campaign video about their vision for Scotland .

Last week, the SNP referred itself to the Information Commissioner's Office after letters were addressed to the wrong people .

Hundreds of voters in the upcoming election had letters delivered to their homes that were addressed to people who had never lived there.

A SNP spokesperson said it was due to a clerical error but there were no ongoing issues with data security or identity theft.

Scottish Liberal Democrat leader Willie Rennie received the SNP communication, addressed to "Edna Rennie". He joked on Twitter that he planned to demand Nicola Sturgeon address him as Edna in parliament.
Does Welsh really sound that similar to Gaelic that Labour accidentally print election material in the wrong language? It's no wonder that there isn't any trust for both Labour and the Conservatives in Scotland.

Nice User

A very nice person.
kiwifarms.net
Both languages are both fucking exceptional and not all that relevant and those who think it is relevant haven't never learnt to speak properly. I'm not surprised that they couldn't tell the difference between the two.

Mega Blooper

the world is getting ugly and we did it again
kiwifarms.net
Article

Does Welsh really sound that similar to Gaelic that Labour accidentally print election material in the wrong language? It's no wonder that there isn't any trust for both Labour and the Conservatives in Scotland.
They look fairly similar to the unfamiliar. However I’ve never met a Scottish person who speaks Gaelic or even gives much of a shit about it, whereas in North Wales there are plenty of people for whom English is a second language and a not insignificant population who do not (or will not) speak English at all. Labour are lucky they didn’t get this error the other way around.

pomme

You disappoint me, desu
kiwifarms.net
Welsh doesn't sound or look anything like Scottish Gaelic. You could take one look at the leaflets and think "wait, this isn't right". There are plenty of Gaelic speaking people up in Rossshire and the Highlands in general, so I can imagine this will piss some speakers off.

Glad I couldn't help

Now with edge anime avatar
kiwifarms.net
Article

Judge for yourself with samples of both languages:
'S e planaid a tha anns an Talamh, a' Chruinne no an t-Saoghal, air a bheil sinn a' fuireach. Tha aon ghealach aige agus 's e treas ball de rian na grèine.
Tha na cuain (sa bheil sàl) a' cuibhrigeadh mu deidhinn 70% de barr na talmhainn. 'S e tìr (talamh tioram) a tha anns an 30% eile. Tha aille a' cuairteachadh na talmhainn. Canar an adhar ris an àile seo.
Tha an talamh a' cuairteachadh na grèine aig astar 93,000,000 mìltean (1.6 km = 1 mìle). Canaidh sinn bliadhna ris an ùine a tha i a' gearradh gach cuairt.
Y Ddaear (a elwir hefyd yn fyd; Groeg: Γαῖα neu Gaia sef "Mam-ddaear"[1]) yw'r blaned yr ydym ni'n byw arni. Hi yw'r drydedd blaned oddi wrth yr Haul, canolbwynt Cysawd yr Haul. Mae gan y Ddaear un lloeren naturiol: Y Lleuad. Mae'r Ddaear yn cylchdroi unwaith o amgylch yr Haul bob blwyddyn (sef 365.2422 niwrnod), ac yn troi o gylch ei hechel ei hun unwaith bob diwrnod serenol (23.934 awr), sef yr amser sydd ei angen er mwyn i'r haul ddychwelyd i'r un lle yn yr wybren. Gellir dweud fod y ddaear yn unigryw o blith y planedau gan fod arni fywyd, digonedd o ddŵr ac awyr sy'n gyfoethog o nitrogen ac ocsigen; ond er hynny dydi hi ddim yr unig enghraifft o blaned yn y bydysawd a all gynnal bywyd. Credir i fywyd ddechrau arni o leiaf 3.5 biliwn o flynyddoedd cyn y presennol (CP), er bod tystiolaeth o 'fywyd biotig' yng ngorllewin Awstralia'n mynd yn ôl i 4.1 biliwn CP.[2]
My impression is that the Tories have actually bounced back, becoming the official opposition in the Scottish Parliament during the last elections, on the back of a strong local leader and as the most avid opponent of independence and the SNP.
They look fairly similar to the unfamiliar. However I’ve never met a Scottish person who speaks Gaelic or even gives much of a shit about it, whereas in North Wales there are plenty of people for whom English is a second language and a not insignificant population who do not (or will not) speak English at all. Labour are lucky they didn’t get this error the other way around.
My impression is that there are no unilingual Welsh speakers left, just like with Gaelic (both Irish and Scottish). Still the Welsh language is better placed than Gaelic (both varieties), having around 500k speakers (~20% of the Welsh population) against 60k for both Gaelic varieties. I seems to me that the Welsh language has a tighter association with Welsh nationalism than Gaelic with Scottish nationalism.

Foxxo

Mistakes were made.
kiwifarms.net
Judge for yourself with samples of both languages:
'S e planaid a tha anns an Talamh, a' Chruinne no an t-Saoghal, air a bheil sinn a' fuireach. Tha aon ghealach aige agus 's e treas ball de rian na grèine.
Tha na cuain (sa bheil sàl) a' cuibhrigeadh mu deidhinn 70% de barr na talmhainn. 'S e tìr (talamh tioram) a tha anns an 30% eile. Tha aille a' cuairteachadh na talmhainn. Canar an adhar ris an àile seo.
Tha an talamh a' cuairteachadh na grèine aig astar 93,000,000 mìltean (1.6 km = 1 mìle). Canaidh sinn bliadhna ris an ùine a tha i a' gearradh gach cuairt.
Y Ddaear (a elwir hefyd yn fyd; Groeg: Γαῖα neu Gaia sef "Mam-ddaear"[1]) yw'r blaned yr ydym ni'n byw arni. Hi yw'r drydedd blaned oddi wrth yr Haul, canolbwynt Cysawd yr Haul. Mae gan y Ddaear un lloeren naturiol: Y Lleuad. Mae'r Ddaear yn cylchdroi unwaith o amgylch yr Haul bob blwyddyn (sef 365.2422 niwrnod), ac yn troi o gylch ei hechel ei hun unwaith bob diwrnod serenol (23.934 awr), sef yr amser sydd ei angen er mwyn i'r haul ddychwelyd i'r un lle yn yr wybren. Gellir dweud fod y ddaear yn unigryw o blith y planedau gan fod arni fywyd, digonedd o ddŵr ac awyr sy'n gyfoethog o nitrogen ac ocsigen; ond er hynny dydi hi ddim yr unig enghraifft o blaned yn y bydysawd a all gynnal bywyd. Credir i fywyd ddechrau arni o leiaf 3.5 biliwn o flynyddoedd cyn y presennol (CP), er bod tystiolaeth o 'fywyd biotig' yng ngorllewin Awstralia'n mynd yn ôl i 4.1 biliwn CP.[2]
My impression is that the Tories have actually bounced back, becoming the official opposition in the Scottish Parliament during the last elections, on the back of a strong local leader and as the most avid opponent of independence and the SNP.

My impression is that there are no unilingual Welsh speakers left, just like with Gaelic (both Irish and Scottish). Still the Welsh language is better placed than Gaelic (both varieties), having around 500k speakers (~20% of the Welsh population) against 60k for both Gaelic varieties. I seems to me that the Welsh language has a tighter association with Welsh nationalism than Gaelic with Scottish nationalism.
Well, at first I was going to say "So what, they're basically the same", but after reading those spoilers I can't see how these soulless assholes could screw up this bad. And I'm aware of their public Stalinist & anti-Semitic figures, too.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino