Sega - It's more than just Sonic Autism

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

We need a 3PL

Marissa Moira

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So ever since the dreamcast died nearly 19 years ago Sega went through a long period of decline. But within the last two console generations they've picked up steam again and have been purchasing studios and acquiring IPs and from a financial standpoint have kind of gotten back to where they once were back when they were producing home consoles (they still produce arcade hardware to this day).

So anyways since it's getting close to January they usually start sending out their first customer survey of the year. These surveys are actually very important because sega will use them to make business decisions within the year. The last survey they sent out was about retro game emulation. Following that survey things like their separation with AtGames happened, the announcement of official Saturn Emulation, and stuff like the release of the Genesis Classic made without AtGames involvement as well as a slew of officially branded sega controller for both genesis and Saturn that were made for the original systems and versions for PC.

The first Saturn announcement out of the gate was the Panzer Dragoon remaster

This is kind of a big deal since saturn emulation has notoriously been a pain in the ass. However the remaster is bringing things into modern software much like the Crash and Spyro remasters. You don't necessarily need the OG game code and can reverse engineer shit, Another example is Corpse Killer a title that required the use of the 32X and Sega CD has been consolidated and brought to a modern hardware format.

And the one thing about the early CD consoles was that they had notoriously bad protection. The Sega CD can read burned CDRs right out of the box with no modifications.

The Saturn was not quite as bad, but any Saturn collector will tell you, the action replay is pretty much a requirement to own the system in order for it to function. The Saturn had a cell battery that ran it's internal memory and when that battery died you lost your saves. So the action replay was the Saturn memory expansion + a flash memory storage device to save your data to(as well as acting as a cheat code device).

However the action replay had a less than documented ability, it is able to be used as a boot device. Well this allows you to play burned CDRs from any region and have them play on any saturn. You need to flash the device with the Pseudo Saturn. You lost the ability to use Action Replay features but gained the ability to play burned saturn games on original hardware. Suddenly a 10 dollar stack of CDRs can be turned into a bunch of 400 dollar games

This is apparently what sega has used itself to start making official in house saturn emulation. No game is really lost media this way, you can rip assets, record footage, and pretty much build shit from scratch if needed. So it's expected that games like Panzer Dragoon Saga will eventually find themselves on modern hardware

The survey is expected around the time Sakura Wars releases. Sakura wars was a game that a couple surveys ago asked multiple questions about the series before they made the announcement about the new game. Supposedly the upcoming Survey has many questions about Sega RPGs, possibly RPGs that only had one installment and were never ported to consoles outside of the Dreamcast's generation(which would be Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube). It's also a big deal that Sakura Wars is getting a release in the west which didn't happen for the majority of the series back when they originally released. America only got the last Sakura Wars game, but because of the survey they saw enough interest in the series from western audiences.

Harnessed Carcass

Hello, I am the ghost of Daniel Johnston
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Does Sega really deserve another chance? They already spread shit once which lead played a part in the crash of '83, than repeated themselves with the sonic franchise. . . what's third times the charm really mean when their biggest IP isn't even a secure pay pig anymore. I loved certain games as well, but I don't know if Sega as a whole has much to show in terms of creative direction and fresh design, especially compared to Kojima, Nintendo as a whole or Sony.

Logic

Like whatever man, that's just like...your opinion
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yakuza at this point is the only reliably good franchise they’ve been pumping out and even then they’ve pretty much pushed the game mechanics to the point where there’s not much more new shit they can do with it. You knowwww....they could give us another crazy taxi orrrr....idunno...more consistent mainline HoTD releases? I heard a remake of the first game is being made for the switch which, good god, I really want to play the first HoTD again, it’s been too long.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yakuza at this point is the only reliably good franchise they’ve been pumping out and even then they’ve pretty much pushed the game mechanics to the point where there’s not much more new shit they can do with it. You knowwww....they could give us another crazy taxi orrrr....idunno...more consistent mainline HoTD releases? I heard a remake of the first game is being made for the switch which, good god, I really want to play the first HoTD again, it’s been too long.

They need to reboot Gunvalkyrie, which was a game with a really cool premise and art direction (Victorian steampunk in space) but tragically had gameplay that just wasn't much fun.

Marissa Moira

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm still sitting here, waiting for more NiGHTS and skies of Arcadia. I will die waiting and have nothing to show for it, of this I am certain.
If you want more skies of Arcadia you should try Xenoblade Chronicles 2

The opening stage Argentum Trade Guild is just like Skies of Arcadia.

If that's not enough fill out the survey when it drops.

LegoTugboat

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
We should mention that Sega has purchased a lot of different game studios, such as Amplitude (Endless Space, Endless Legends), Relic Entertainment (CoH 2), Two Point Studio (Two Point Hospital), Creative Assembly (Total War series), as well as a fair few others.

Ineedahero

kiwifarms.net
Oh Sega. One of the only game publishers who would openly blacklist a reviewer for trashing a shitty game they made. Which is understandable when you pumped out as much shit as Sega used to.

Anyway they should make sequels to condemned, binary domain and alpha protocol. I know they can't do two of those, but they should.

Fagnacious D

and The Dick of Destiny
kiwifarms.net
The biggest problem i've had with sega is most of their games are all style no substance. Their consoles after the genesis really failed to attract any significant amount of third party devs as well

soryu

Jerry Mouse
kiwifarms.net
I wasn't really interested in the Sakura Wars series but the new game coming out looks pretty fun, the mechas look neat. I'm gonna pick it up when it comes out. Hopefully they release a demo before the release.
I'm sad Space Channel 5 is a VR/cameo exclusive series currently.
I recently got into the card collecting dance arcade game, Love and Berry: Dress Up and Dance. It has a DS port that was packaged with a card reader. It's definitely meant for elementary school girls, but I do love the concept of the game. I don't pay attention to many idol type games, but I'm aware Love and Berry heavily inspired the PriPara and Aikatsu series.

All I hope for from Sega is Jet Set Radio Future to have an HD release.
Yakuza 7 looks promising and I enjoyed the demo, but it doesn't look like the series will last much longer, I'm thinking they'll stop at 10.

Biffo

kiwifarms.net
Sega has been pretty good for a while, stuff like Yakuza, Alien: Isolation, Sonic Mania, Two Point Hospital, Valkyria Chronicles 4 to name a few have all been good. Also so many pc ports of older games such as the platinums stuff and the yakuza games, still a ton of of them to port however.

Also they have a good handle of atlus well, at least for those in the europe, where you had to wait like a year before getting the games, we now get them close to date on date with america, also sega porting Catherine to pc could be a good sign of stuff to come.

And finally them licensing out ips, which allowed Shumme 3, Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap remake, Panzer Dragoon remake and the upcoming Streets of Rage 4 to happen.

Sega still has issues, still lot of games that need remasters, Sonic outside Mania has been mishandled, the best versions of Sonic 1 and 2 still being for the phone only, killing of All Star Racing for a bland Sonic only one which got killed by Crash Team Racing pretty fast and whatever is going on with Atlus in terms of their games still being exclusives to one platform.

Pop-Tart

¡Viva la Israel!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fuck y'all weeb niggas. I am just here for Relic and their games. I love Company of heroes and Dawn of war. My understanding is after they were part way done with CoH 2, and THQ was gonna tits up everyone left the company. Because they saw the writing on the wall. I do wonder how Sega is doing shit with them and Creative Assembly. Then again CA's fuck ups might be purely at their own feet knowing them.

BananaSplit

kiwifarms.net
No mention of Vanquish yet?

Their consoles after the genesis really failed to attract any significant amount of third party devs as well

Sega Saturn had many third-party games (namely shmups and animu) although it fell short against the PS1 as the latter was less a pain to develop games for.

Coolio55

Numbuh one brony in da hood, G
kiwifarms.net
I really want a Jet Set Radio future re-release (but I know the music rights are a massive pain up the arse) and possibly a new Jet Set Radio (If they promise not to fuck it up. I know Hideki Naganuma has been pushing for it for years and I hope they finally listen to him and the legions of fans).

Sega is really a mixed bag but they've got some great franchises under their belt ...if only they'd USE THEM (Although they're finally starting to do that).

Anyway, I'm going to go emulate some Dreamcast.

Ps. @Marissa Moira how do I sign up for these surveys. I have enough autism to be eligible, I'd wager.