Sega - It's more than just Sonic Autism

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

We need a 3PL

Bluey

The Blue Heeler Neo Noir Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
Classic Phantasy Star is a must for me. IV was my favourite. Recently downloaded the first Phantasy Star from the Switch's E Shop. Love how you can play with the Mark III's enhanced sound chip.

I had a GBA game that had all three Phantasy Stars on it, but playing the first PS game on it would crash after you get Mayu from Motivia.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
I had a GBA game that had all three Phantasy Stars on it, but playing the first PS game on it would crash after you get Mayu from Motivia.

Hmm, I have that GBA cartridge but don't think I got that far in the first game (which I'd already played through on the Master System). Now I kind of feel like checking if that's the case with the cartridge I have.

Marissa Moira

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Classic Phantasy Star is a must for me. IV was my favourite. Recently downloaded the first Phantasy Star from the Switch's E Shop. Love how you can play with the Mark III's enhanced sound chip.

there's work arounds, I got multiple crashes during my playthrough and the game is beatable on the GBA cart. The crashes are usually tied to the RNG encounters. How to usually avoid them was to save and then retsart the system and the game would go past the area where you would crash. In a dungeon the trick was to get into an random encoutner and then quicksave. if the random encounter was what caused the crash the trick would be saving at the spot where the crash happened and then restarting the system and proceeding forward.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Brain open for rental(rent free)
kiwifarms.net
15 years after it first hit arcades, I think Out Run 2 holds up great, especially visually.

I know the car models don't compare to modern racing games if you look at them close up but OutRun 2 is meant to be played in zoomed-out view, where the cars have easily enough polygons to do the job.

It's a shame Sega can't re-release OutRun 2 on current gen consoles because they no longer have the Ferrari license. I'm holding out hope that one of the console manufacturers will pay for Ferrari (or maybe Lamborghini or Porsche if Ferrari is not available) so that Sega can make OutRun 3 perhaps in exchange for console exclusivity.

I also agree with Sega Lord X on Youtube that it's a travesty that there's never been a proper home port of OutRunners, which didn't even have any licensed cars to prevent it being released in arcade-perfect form.

With Sega's arcade roots I think services like Xbox Live Arcade did them a huge favor. Sega made great arcade games but towards the end of the 90's and especially the early 2000's paying $50 for a 35 minute game didn't feel right. Fifteen bucks on XBLA made perfect sense for high-quality arcade titles like Outrun 2 and Sega Rally.

Autismo Jones

kiwifarms.net
i cannot wait until yakuza 7 comes to the west and every persona fag starts comparing it to persona 5 despite being two different games

Emperor Julian

kiwifarms.net
The mega drive was a real treasure of a console, some really memorable franchises and games, it was impressive how badly they shit the bed with the next generation. Considering their 'edgy' image they'd cultivated was essemtially what got playstations foot through the door

Phantasy star 4 is arguably on the greatest rpg's no ones actually played. It's a real shame the franchise decided to dick around with all those online games. It might have been able to keep Final fantasy lean and mean by presenting some actual competition.

Last edited:

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Brain open for rental(rent free)
kiwifarms.net
The mega drive was a real treasure of a console, some really memorable franchises and games, it was impressive how badly they shit the bed with the next generation. Considering their 'edgy' image they'd cultivated was essemtially what got playstations foot through the door

My thinking has always been that to some degree Sega didn't want to risk cannibalizing the arcade side of their business when creating the Saturn but the threat of the Playstation made them rethink the hardware at a late stage in development. Sega knew the ins and outs on how to make stellar hardware, there's no doubt about that, despite that the Saturn was born with a dent in its head and a salad fork instead of a left hand.

Sony didn't need to worry about such things, if they kill the arcades then people might buy a Playstation instead.

Darsheel

Currently hitting the drum
kiwifarms.net
Does Sega really deserve another chance? They already spread shit once which lead played a part in the crash of '83, than repeated themselves with the sonic franchise. . . what's third times the charm really mean when their biggest IP isn't even a secure pay pig anymore. I loved certain games as well, but I don't know if Sega as a whole has much to show in terms of creative direction and fresh design, especially compared to Kojima, Nintendo as a whole or Sony.
Wasn't that atari fault plus multiple factors that lead to the gaming crash of 83 sega barely had any influence in the 83 gaming crash

Friendly Primarina

50% more friendly than the average Primarina
kiwifarms.net
My playthroughs of OutRun 2 always start well, but when I get to the later races that require pixel perfect precision I always ask myself, "How did Sega make a driving game with worse physics than Scud Race/Super GT?"

sasazuka

kiwifarms.net
My playthroughs of OutRun 2 always start well, but when I get to the later races that require pixel perfect precision I always ask myself, "How did Sega make a driving game with worse physics than Scud Race/Super GT?"
If you mean the original XBox port of OutRun 2, yeah, some of those "OutRun Challenge" and "Heart Attack Mode" challenges can be ridiculously difficult.

I think Sega ratcheted down the difficulty of the challenges a notch or two for OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast.

Billy_Sama

♂Love and Muscle in Heaven♂
kiwifarms.net
That got nothing on F-Zero GX that Sega developed. You need to have fighter pilot reflexes and all the tricks to beat the story mode even on normal.

Friendly Primarina

50% more friendly than the average Primarina
kiwifarms.net
If you mean the original XBox port of OutRun 2, yeah, some of those "OutRun Challenge" and "Heart Attack Mode" challenges can be ridiculously difficult.

I think Sega ratcheted down the difficulty of the challenges a notch or two for OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast.
I was talking about Coast 2 Coast lol. My problem with the handling is that the car seems to go into either a "shallow slide" or a "deep slide." Sometimes the car refuses to go into a deep slide on tight corners, which causes you to go into a wall. Also, the New York section has a ridiculously tight hairpin and the Milky Way section is a nightmare.
That got nothing on F-Zero GX that Sega developed. You need to have fighter pilot reflexes and all the tricks to beat the story mode even on normal.
Yeah, give me all the top hats but whoever thought the story difficulty was well balanced needs to do a flip.

sasazuka

kiwifarms.net
The key to getting through the Milky Way/Cape Canaveral stage without crashing on those centre track obstructions is to go slower than usual. Fortunately, it's always the last stage (except if you're in the modes where it's all 15 or 30 stages end to end) so you can just get quicker times on the previous four stages to compensate.

Vyse Inglebard

We fight against Valua so they can't hurt people.
kiwifarms.net
According to a report by Bloomberg, new entries in the Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio series will mark the start of Sega's 'Super Game' project, which will eventually entail around four games, one of which we know will be a first-person shooter. The Crazy Taxi game is already in development, and expected to come out in the next two to three years.
Oh my God. SEGA's actually doing it....they're ACTUALLY DIPPING INTO THEIR DREAMCAST FRANCHISES! THERE IS A GO -
Sega apparently wants to monetise its games 'more aggressively,' and offer "contents and services that can create a large community."
:o......

Of fucking course they had to fuck it up somehow....*sigh*

SSj_Ness

Time to rape organized crime
kiwifarms.net
They've milked the Genesis beyond dry, would it kill them to do simple remasters of their Dreamcast games? Even straight ports would be acceptable in some cases (games they deem unworthy of the resources for more work).

Saturn would be nice too, but I guess that's difficult because they didn't archive stuff and/or the system is just hard to emulate.