Science Self-driving cars may hit people with dark tone skin more often - Ku Klux Kars

Hortator

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So if dark skin is a problem, I assume that black clothing would be a much larger problem. After all, how much skin do people usually show?
I was thinking the same thing too when I wasn’t snickering at this article.

Espescially in winter, you know? My friend likes to hype that technology is increasing “exponentially”, and maybe that’s true but I’m not seeing it

Furina

Centerfold
kiwifarms.net
So if dark skin is a problem, I assume that black clothing would be a much larger problem. After all, how much skin do people usually show?
I think the problem is in contrast, so presumably an all-black figure standing against a white background, like a snowy road, would be easier to see than an all-white figure. Likewise, a darker figure might be harder to see against a background that's more mixed, like a person standing against a treeline or busy street. It's not a case of not being able to see black people in particular, just differentiating darkness from the background darkness.

The article doesn't seem to mention how much poorer the results were? Was it that the cars hit darker people more often or just braked half a second slower versus a lighter person? It says there was a 5% accuracy drop against darker people, but not how that translates to real world results.

Testaclese Maximus

as friendly as a rabbit
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Biased Self-Driving Cars
We already knew that some facial recognition systems struggle to accurately identify people with darker skin.
Now we know that many of the artificially intelligent systems designed to help autonomous cars navigate roads have the same problem — and the result could disproportionately endanger pedestrians with darker skin, a troubling sign of how AI can inadvertently reproduce prejudices from the wider world.
It’s almost as if they just shouldn’t do it.

Swinecake

kiwifarms.net
The old joke about a black man at a crosswalk became reality.

Anyway, those AI cars are supposed to use all kinds of sensors to avoid collisions, not just 2D image recognition. LIDAR doesn't care about skin color.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino