SF Debris / Charles Sonnenburg - One Man's Attempts to Make Videos While Fighting the Universe Itself

• Sorry about the recent downtime. The database server is being autistic. The beatings will continue.

BlancoMailo

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
His wife is like, a literal sperg right? Real feels for him.
I

if I rember she was mentally unstable and had left him and his children for a while and came back a wreck or something it’s been years since the incident
He mentioned it in the now buried blog section of his site a few years ago, https://sfdebris.com/blog/index.php?entry=The-Ugly-Truth-(But-the-Show-Will-Go-On) (https://archive.md/DCAd9) as well as one or both of the reviews of the DS9 episodes with the genetically engineered crazy people "Statistical Probabilities" and "Chrysalis". Both are still in the process of being reuploaded along with the rest of the trek reviews but he has a tangent in one (I believe Chrysalis) about how much the 'crazy as a superpower' trope pisses him off. Also, he talks about dealing with mentally ill people and his feelings on it throughout the Vincent and the Doctor review. That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

UnKillFill

How come he don't want me man?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
He mentioned it in the now buried blog section of his site a few years ago, https://sfdebris.com/blog/index.php?entry=The-Ugly-Truth-(But-the-Show-Will-Go-On) (https://archive.md/DCAd9) as well as one or both of the reviews of the DS9 episodes with the genetically engineered crazy people "Statistical Probabilities" and "Chrysalis". Both are still in the process of being reuploaded along with the rest of the trek reviews but he has a tangent in one (I believe Chrysalis) about how much the 'crazy as a superpower' trope pisses him off. Also, he talks about dealing with mentally ill people and his feelings on it throughout the Vincent and the Doctor review. That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.
Charles Sonnenburg is legit one of the few "internet reviewers" that I still actually respect these days... If it came out that say, Doug Walkers wife was even more re-tarded than he is, I would probably laugh at the both of them over that... But I really just hope that Chuck's wife has at least somewhat recovered from whatever mental illness she had... He doesn't deserve having to deal with that shit.

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
Dude also has twins IIRC. So he probably has a couple of tard babies.

GentlemanFaggot

I got in...
kiwifarms.net
He has not commented on the cognitive abilities but he has gone over their birth.

They were born ten weeks early and at 2 pounds each. Each one had only 50% chance of surviving.

Thankfully for him, both of them pulled through but he described the whole thing very candidly in the Voyager review "Real Life."

BlancoMailo

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This man just can't catch a break:
We are now in chaos mode.

First, why are we? Because we have three things going on at the moment.

-Chuck was sent to the ER because he had an attack. After a barrage of tests and a second doctor's visit, he was ruled not to have had a heart attack, just a result of extreme stress. He was told to take it easy for a while, and this time had the sense to actually listen.

-Vimeo is removing all the videos from their server at the end of March. They all need a new home, right after all the Star Trek videos had been moved.

-COVID-19 fears mean a lot of people have problems to face and also nothing to do.

So, what is Chaos Mode then?

Chaos Mode means that Chuck is now operating day to day, without a plan, just a general idea of what needs to be happening. A need to move videos, revise the hosting code, keep videos coming out, and paradoxically, relax, means that there won't be a schedule. Long range planning is out if Chuck suddenly needs to drop everything for medical reasons.

So, Chaos Mode means that you can expect regular, probably daily, programs to arrive, with EVERY EFFORT made to try to maintain the level of substantive quality of the work (meaning that if it's a choice between a late video and a subpar video, it'll be late). Many smaller projects will be on the menu, but don't be surprised when Into The Spider-verse and things of that nature DO show up. The intention right now is flexibility, not abandoning what the show has been or turning it into something else.

And as stated, expect older videos to be temporarily unavailable starting April 1st. Migrating more than a thousand videos can take a little while.

Stay safe, stay smart, and most importantly, live long and prosper.
https://sfdebris.com/chaos.php (Is archive.md not working for anyone else?)

He has not commented on the cognitive abilities but he has gone over their birth.

They were born ten weeks early and at 2 pounds each. Each one had only 50% chance of surviving.

Thankfully for him, both of them pulled through but he described the whole thing very candidly in the Voyager review "Real Life."
He's never mentioned any cognitive issues with the twins but one of them did suffer a serious head injury around two years ago at work so I'm not sure what the long term effects of that have been on the poor kid.

Shitassdeaddude

kiwifarms.net
Jesus christ this man is like Mirror Universe Spoony. He keeps putting out quality shit and everyone's telling him to slow the fuck down.

Also I appreciate that Chuck was nice enough not to derail his Lovecraft reviews by going on a ten-minute tirade about how raycis he was. He only briefly brought it up when talking about Innsmouth, and only because that story has so much to do with racial interbreeding and geneology.

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
last i heard Chuck recently had a heart attack,I don't expect his output to be consistent for now , don't think that kind of stress would be good for him right now . i hope he recovers soon .
Shit. This makes me even more angry at Spoony, the guy who treats itchy nipples as some sort of debilitating condition and who constantly whines about how he's about to die. Chuck's own body has given him the Bum's Rush and yet he soldiers on as best he can. But then again, Chuck isn't a narc who gets a hard-on over how much distress he can farm from his patrons.

Judge Holden

Explorer in the further regions of autism
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

BlancoMailo

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Looks like we're finally back to a schedule:

6-Jun • Short Treks: The Trouble With Edward
8-Jun • Bounty Hunter 1
10-Jun • Space Patrol 2
13-Jun • Tribunal
15-Jun • Incredible 1 (Look at the Hulk)
17-Jun • Firefly: Serenity
20-Jun • Discussing Jaws
22-Jun • Bounty Hunter 2
24-Jun • Space Patrol 3
27-Jun • Picard 1
29-Jun • Book: Artemis
1-Jul • Flipside of Dominick Hide

Shit. This makes me even more angry at Spoony, the guy who treats itchy nipples as some sort of debilitating condition and who constantly whines about how he's about to die. Chuck's own body has given him the Bum's Rush and yet he soldiers on as best he can. But then again, Chuck isn't a narc who gets a hard-on over how much distress he can farm from his patrons.
In the last half decade or so, he's had to track down his mentally ill wife after she went off her meds, broken his hand to the point he had to start using speech to text software (which i believe he still uses - possibly due to the hand never fully healing), had a heart attack, had several more heart attack scares, had to take time off to care for his son after the college-aged kid suffered a serious work related head injury, and has had to reupload his entire library of around 1,000 videos several times as services have either shutdown or nuked him, at times without warning. This is all while maintaining a production schedule that I've seen actual teams struggle to keep as a single guy doing every on his own.

Here's a depressing thought: given the track record he's had with hosting companies, it's entirely likely that the majority of his content gets lost within a year of his death without him being there to maintain the public archives. There are already a triple digit number of versions of previous videos that are simply gone because he often redoes videos when he reuploads them or has released higher definition versions over the last decade of older reviews with new video and/or audio.

UnKillFill

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Looks like we're finally back to a schedule:

6-Jun • Short Treks: The Trouble With Edward
8-Jun • Bounty Hunter 1
10-Jun • Space Patrol 2
13-Jun • Tribunal
15-Jun • Incredible 1 (Look at the Hulk)
17-Jun • Firefly: Serenity
20-Jun • Discussing Jaws
22-Jun • Bounty Hunter 2
24-Jun • Space Patrol 3
27-Jun • Picard 1
29-Jun • Book: Artemis
1-Jul • Flipside of Dominick Hide
I get why he went into "crisis mode" but it never made sense to me why he totally stopped saying what was coming next over the past few weeks/months. Even if he just gave a general "coming next" schedule without any set in stone dates, I doubt anyone would have minded at all. (and I say "would have," because for my money, Chuck seems to have more or less kept up his usual output even through the "crisis"... which is commendable...)

BlancoMailo

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I get why he went into "crisis mode" but it never made sense to me why he totally stopped saying what was coming next over the past few weeks/months. Even if he just gave a general "coming next" schedule without any set in stone dates, I doubt anyone would have minded at all. (and I say "would have," because for my money, Chuck seems to have more or less kept up his usual output even through the "crisis"... which is commendable...)
Yeah it was a bit strange, only thing I can imagine is that his personal schedule was supposed to be unpredictable enough that he couldn't guarantee he'd be around to upload at a given time during the last 2.5 months (wouldn't shock me if he went against doctor's orders and kept chugging along after a week of rest) and he seems to absolutely despise missing deadlines. Looking at what he released over the last few weeks - book reviews, which he's said are prerecorded sometimes over a year in advance before they come out for non-patrons, cartoons/anime - which take him significantly less work to produce, and miscellaneous small projects that are either less work intensive or prerecorded.

It wouldn't shock me if a lot of what was released over the last several weeks came out of his reserves, he's mentioned keeping a certain amount of videos on standby in case of an emergency, though I don't think he's ever given an estimate on how large the stockpile generally is.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: UnKillFill

UnKillFill

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It wouldn't shock me if a lot of what was released over the last several weeks came out of his reserves, he's mentioned keeping a certain amount of videos on standby in case of an emergency, though I don't think he's ever given an estimate on how large the stockpile generally is.
And yet, he just (probably) went back to a regular schedule... I wonder what changed.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: BlancoMailo

BlancoMailo

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Another update from Sisyphus himself (https://archive.md/Fns44):
Where We Are And Where We're Going

As you no doubt know, we've been struggling for years to find a home for the videos - SF Debris has been an unwitting harbinger of doom, moving to a platform and watching it collapse or transform to some other kind of business. We're in the process of the latest such move, and have been for some time; unlike in previous cases, the amount of viable options is drying up. It's relatively easy to upload a thousand videos, even one at a time, if you just handle it in manageable ways. It's when each of those thousand videos has to make the gatekeepers happy that is where the problem lies, why this move is the slowest we've ever had (seven months and counting), and to ensure that every new one likewise satisfies the gatekeepers.

I cannot stress enough how absolutely devastating this move has been. In the past, a day might be lost to get a hundred videos uploaded. Right now, a day can sometimes be lost to get as few as six - sometimes a day will be lost and all that will have been accomplished is learning what CAN'T be done, to try to maybe not have those problems next time. The Lost World's hosting problems single-handedly wasted enough time that I could have done three Star Trek reviews. I had developed a new system that was working wonderfully for the two weeks before the news came, developed over the last few months of the year before the first hint of problems began, that would have made this the best year ever. As with everything else 2020, it has been utterly destroyed, the plans shredded, no ETA for even starting works that were scheduled to be completed before summer.

As for the move itself, it has settled into the following:
1) Everything that can go on Youtube with minimal fuss uploaded - DONE
2) Everything that can go on Daily Motion with minimal fuss uploaded - IN PROGRESS
3) Begin identify (via trial and error) what is holding back each individual video that won't upload and restore it one by one - PENDING

This is in addition to the normal operation of this show.

As you can see, we are on Stage 2. This is slow going because DM will only allow a small number of videos per day. This can theoretically be increased, but that assumes there were actually people who work there, and I think robots took over it long ago because after nearly a year I have yet to get ahold of anyone at all, nevermind anyone who can sort it out.

This makes Stage 2 doubly slow: it has to allow the upload of old videos... AND needs to allow the new videos that can only go on DM (in other words, most of them). So if I try uploading a brand new Star Trek video, and I can't, it may be a full day before it actually can go up, and sometimes even longer. So all of stage 2 is placed on hold while new videos are being prepped for upload because we're playing things so tight that we can't afford to lose a day for new videos, but it does mean that's possibly a dozen old videos that we didn't get up that we could have otherwise.

Other hosts? Tried them. Either costs me absurd amounts of money to use, costs you money to watch, is unreliable, has technical problems, or wants nothing to do with me, and self-hosting is not a viable option on this scale. I have not spent over half a year doing nothing, after all; if you suggest it, odds are I've already tried it, explored it, or been rejected by it. I don't make more work for myself because I like the sense of endless futility. If it sounds like there's an easy answer, then no offense, but you have vastly underestimated the size of the problem.

In a parallel world where the Vimeo incident didn't happen, there's likely about twenty more film reviews finished, three video game series underway, and eight new animated series at least halfway through their first season. You would be seeing works from The Prisoner to Robin Hood to Stargate Universe, and a few standalone episodes from the early days when it was still "all comers." For two weeks, that was the plan, and it ran like a well-oiled machine. I hope, eventually, to get back there again. In the meantime, just know things are moving forward. Delay is not a sign I don't care, it's that I care enough not to do a mediocre job and declare it done. Likewise, when you mention something is down and it's not back up, please understand that it's not because I didn't bother, it's because at that moment I literally can't.

So here's some of the things that will be happening:
October: The delayed Rick and Morty Season 1 is finally coming out.
No X-Files marathon this year (DM is stills somewhat cryptic with them)
Instead, final week is themed "I Ain't Afraid Of No Ghost".

November: Three of the Saturday reviews will be Star Trek II, Star Trek III, and Star Trek IV. This is because it will be more work than a normal Trek review just to get them into a form that I can post.
Dragon Age: Inquisition will begin. Emphasis on "begin."

December: Three of the Saturday reviews will be Star Trek V, Generations, and Nemesis.
The final video of the year will be on Christmas.
And just for fun, every week, I'll tell you something more about it.

Tags
None