She-Ra's Noelle Stevenson sets Lumberjanes series for HBO Max -

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net
Archer at least tries to be decent.
My favorite part about Archer is the obvious growth; they started with Sealab 2021, recycling another show's animation but really hitting the mark with casting, writing, delivering lines. Frisky Dingo they got to create their own animation, obvious growing pains with being able to create all new content. After proving themselves they sold the pitch for Archer with a real budget and they've been a solid project that's elevated everyone involved ever since.

Atatata

kiwifarms.net
Fucking lol, and they wonder why anime is raping the shit out of the West. Jesus christ.

No, because the West has adopted the perpetual 'We can't fucking draw to save our fucking lives because we don't want to look like we're taking this seriously'. The motherfucking Boondocks was an amazingly well-drawn and animated series. To my knowledge, there hasn't been a Western show to come close since. I mean, fucking shit, you have cartoon animation from the 1980s being better drawn than shit from now. Even if it was to sell toys, they at least tried. Now its all this disgusting awful style that is ugly as fucking sin.

Archer at least tries to be decent. Other shows...no. Not at all. Its the same shit style. Fuck, even anime has more styles.
1586222944960.jpg
That being said, this book was from nearly 20 years ago.

Last edited:

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
From what I know about art schools, this has only gotten way, way worse. That's why a lot of people who want to learn how to draw don't go to art school. Its really useless. They don't want to draw or paint. Its all post-modernist abstract garbage. Its a place for rich, privileged assholes to go make crappy art to sell to other rich privileged assholes like gambling chips. Its how the wealthy hide their wealth, in art. They need a steady supply of garbage.
my god i fucking hate the art form. I am so tired of comics and cartoons adopting this simplistic style where its just basic shapes with ugly facial features, its not cute and its not unique, its lazy and shit.

Why do they all have the same face? They look like that one pencil sketch webcomic with the So QuIrKy characters, especially the lanky one in the center.
The classics went out. Western animation, as a result, became ugly as fuck, free of complex action and is mostly simplistic. Its called 'calarts' and is basically the standard taught. Which is why all Western animation these days is largely dogshit. Archer is the exception right now and has gotten really good and improved. Even its action scenes have gotten better when it was stilted before. As @Haramburger said, it really came into its own. But these days the West is just full of the garbage, lazy style with no writing to back it up. Its universally terrible, which is why everyone gravitates towards anime. Even Western comics have adopted fucking awful art styles these days. So the East is pumping out visually pretty shit, so the artists go to mimic their style or the style of older comic artists. The trash artists who can't draw and are fucking faggots are easy to spot because they're shit and have no talent.

The Shadow

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
kiwifarms.net
A lot of this in my experience seems to come from people starting with a stylized form and never bothering to learn realistic proportions or life drawing. They don't realize that the guys with a stylized art form- a Darwyn Cooke or Mike Mignola, for example- still took the time to learn to draw figures with proper proportions.

Over the years I've started to really prefer the guys that treated comics as a chance to perfect their figure drawing- guys like Dick Giordano, George Perez and Neal Adams. Helps that their page layouts were also top notch which is definitely missing from a lot of Big Two comics, a lot of which look like an overstuffed mess. I assume indie comics are even worse.

Uranus Pink

kiwifarms.net
Archer at least tries to be decent. Other shows...no. Not at all. Its the same shit style. Fuck, even anime has more styles.
Number of anime styles been limited to what can be animated in a timely manner. Manga art styles however had long ran the gauntlet of everything from stick figures to hand drawn photo realistic in addition to the more generic anime look westerners are familiar with.

starborn427614

kiwifarms.net
Why isn't "presumably cancelled for low ratings" part of the narrative? 🤔

Then again, the fact that Woke-Ra lasted five seasons is mystifying.
IIRC it was commissioned for the usual 52 episode amount (not sure on the exact number) and when that ran out it ended. Netflix just split it up into seasons to pad things out.

Safir

目が覚めて落ちぶれろ
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
EDIT: Because absolutely no one requested it, here is your unwanted and unwelcome storytime of random issue #49:
Pure garbage. Never mind the character designs, look at the colors, look at the frames. How disgustingly boring. The only remotely interesting thing is the 6-faceted frame in the third to last page (an old trope, not her invention), and even that is ruined by showing the group twice more on the same page.
And that's the whole issue, a complete product people are supposed to pay money for! I'd be furious.

They don't realize that the guys with a stylized art form- a Darwyn Cooke or Mike Mignola, for example- still took the time to learn to draw figures with proper proportions.
first-communion.jpg

Juan's Sombrero

Pirate sites are your friend.
kiwifarms.net
HBO Max, huh?

What, Noelle? You couldn't land a way hotter deal in Pedoflix? Magical Girl Friendship Squad bombed from the first episode. Even after the second episode, it didn't hit trending on kimcartoon ever again.

What are the chances that this series is going to bomb for being a discount Gravity Falls? Alex Hircsh may be as much of a faggot, but he at least put in effort.

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net
What, Noelle? You couldn't land a way hotter deal in Pedoflix? Magical Girl Friendship Squad bombed from the first episode. Even after the second episode, it didn't hit trending on kimcartoon ever again.

I'm not seeing a Noelle credit anywhere in either run of Magical Girl Friendship Squad, it's created by a Kelsey Stephanides. Pretty funny though that a series propped up by SYFY at San Diego Comic Con has to take a swing at Gamergate in 2020:

1602477931172.png
1602478016659.png

Juan's Sombrero

Pirate sites are your friend.
kiwifarms.net
I'm not seeing a Noelle credit anywhere in either run of Magical Girl Friendship Squad, it's created by a Kelsey Stephanides. Pretty funny though that a series propped up by SYFY at San Diego Comic Con has to take a swing at Gamergate in 2020:

View attachment 1656332
View attachment 1656333
I know she wasn't the one that made this. It only goes to show that these "western style anime" are getting old.

Granola Grenadine

Rejected Burger King Kids Club character
kiwifarms.net
Fucking lol, and they wonder why anime is raping the shit out of the West. Jesus christ.

No, because the West has adopted the perpetual 'We can't fucking draw to save our fucking lives because we don't want to look like we're taking this seriously'. The motherfucking Boondocks was an amazingly well-drawn and animated series. To my knowledge, there hasn't been a Western show to come close since. I mean, fucking shit, you have cartoon animation from the 1980s being better drawn than shit from now. Even if it was to sell toys, they at least tried. Now its all this disgusting awful style that is ugly as fucking sin.

Castlevania is also well animated, IMO, although it's often mistaken for anime due to the games it's based on.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Castlevania is also well animated, IMO, although it's often mistaken for anime due to the games it's based on.
Weirdly enough, a lot of the Netflix originals that AREN'T comedy are well animated from the west. there's also a Mexican Western show with Danny Trejo that's animated, its action though as well.

There's also this Netflix original based on Ancient Greece.

So while yes, Big Mouth is fucking trash, it really is honestly the exception to Netflix stuff, not the rule.

madethistocomment

welcome to god's mosh pit
kiwifarms.net
Weirdly enough, a lot of the Netflix originals that AREN'T comedy are well animated from the west. there's also a Mexican Western show with Danny Trejo that's animated, its action though as well.

There's also this Netflix original based on Ancient Greece.

So while yes, Big Mouth is fucking trash, it really is honestly the exception to Netflix stuff, not the rule.
It's funny, because every single one of those shows were animated by Powerhouse Animation. Goes to show it really lives up to its name.

Uranus Pink

kiwifarms.net
I know she wasn't the one that made this. It only goes to show that these "western style anime" are getting old.
It have been old since the late 90ies and us old timers been telling them to STFU but they won't listen. If they did eventually listen it is usually after the damage been done and someone else picks up baton to keep it going.