Shit You Think is Spooky/Disturbing - Beware! You're in for a scare...

NoReturn

CEO Wash & Smash llc.
kiwifarms.net
This Fall I have been watching Twin Peaks again and didn't remember how disturbing it was since last time. For some reason that shit just hits like a horror film, worse than a horror film. It is not so much the imagery that fucks me up (although BOB terrifies), but the concepts relating to Laura's murder and family dynamics if you know what I mean.

My real-life fear is being infested or attacked by bugs while still alive. This is the notion that appears in my worst nightmares and that I cannot stop to think about. Anything with bugs under the skin, or in the flesh. I am a big fan of horror movies but I cannot stand anything with bug infestations, when you can see the colonies moving around in the flesh...

Of "spooky" things, does anyone else fear particularly a very tall object (when you look up from the ground at it) or deep and bottomless area (like the ocean)? I am made viscerally nervous by looking up to water towers or grain elevators that are too big. Tall military or cargo ships scare me the most, simply because of their stature. Paired with the idea that they are in the ocean--imagine standing on ground at the base of one of the huge ships and just looking up...and up...and up. I do not know what the fear comes from, maybe I am scared of getting crushed.

There are a few places you visit and you just know something bad has happened there, or will happen. My friend and I used to hang out in an abandoned concrete lot, until one day we came and the energy was different. There was a strange wind inside of the car though car was off and windows were shut. As soon as we felt the wind there was a strange sense of dread, I cannot explain, but she booked it outta there. The whole way back we are shaking for no reason. Animals on the side of the road kept pausing to look at us as we drove, and a large bear walked in front of the car afterwards.
The next time I go there to check if it is still "haunted", there is now an overwhelming smell of rotten cheese/wet woodchips in the car with the windows shut. The smell somehow lingers in the car after we took off. I promised whatever the fuck who lurked there I wouldn't come back, lol.

It still bothers me about this, simply since the "vibe" of that place was fine until one day, it was just wrong, and the vibe never repaired. I have walked past places that have an energy of something bad happening years ago but that never scared me--it is that in the concrete lot, the energy suddenly became scary one day, as if something had happened there between our visits. There had been quite a few suicides in the area at that time but nothing related to that particular place.

I cannot explain the disgusting smell though, like when someone is stretching their ears and you can smell the flesh peeling off the hole. They say a dead body smells "big" and get stuck in your nose, I hope that if we did smell a dead body it was only that of a deer or something. We never went back inside to check, only drove past it on the way somewhere else.
Not to make it worse, but yeah something probably died there.
Once upon a time I was out walking and came across an old man who was standing around like he was confused or senile, and a woman was talking to him. He waved me over, agitated, and said "You smell it too, right?" and before I even crossed the street I knew what he meant. Something had died and gotten stuck in the storm drain. We got to talking and realized the woman just didn't know what she was smelling, but the two of us had the smell stand out because we knew it was something dead.

Last edited:

Glittarded Tartlet

PSA to everyone hating on my demon genders
kiwifarms.net
For me, it's awful.
I'm semi-awake, but can't move, breathe, or anything else. And I'm more frightened than I've ever been.
When I was a little kid, I'd see giant drill bits coming through the walls and ceiling at me. When I got older, I'd see the Alien standing in the corner of the room.
I would just...force myself to move and breathe.
On some level I knew I was dreaming, but the paralysis makes it seem all too real. That's the best I can explain it.
That’s funny, I just remembered I used to dream of giant skyscraper drills made of sod and daisies coming after me when I was like 4. I also have a bear story.

Reactions: Count groudon

Cheese-Loving Citizen

All My Pants are Dead
kiwifarms.net
Some stuff that spooks me:

The Turner Doomsday Video. It's eerie to think this will likely be the last thing you'd see broadcasted before we all get nuked.

Fatal Familial Insomnia. A currently incurable (IIRC), fatal disease that can occur between 30 and 60. Symptoms start off mild with the inability to sleep some nights, but gradually worsens over time to the point where it literally hurts to sleep. Mental detoriation starts, motor functions fail and stuff, until you eventually die rougly ten months later. I don't think anyone knows the pattern that triggers it, which is why it's spooky. Richard Siagian had it then documented his descent from first symptoms to posting crazy garble videos onto Youtube.

"Distorted Trumpets" from Half-Life 2 that plays somewhere in the Anticitizen One chapter, and perhaps just the ambience in general. It's a mix of samples from a distorted trumpet and a song called "Is That The Door?". Some people say that somewhere in that audio, you can hear someone saying "Gordon? Can you hear me?"

Half-Life, despite being action-packed and fast, can put out some really creepy and depressing moments. This shit still sends chills down my spine.

Long, quiet hallways. I have to go through one to get to my place, and every single time, I hear a distant noise akin to footsteps that freaks me out and makes me want to sprint the rest of the way. That hallway made checking behind me a habit even outside of my place.

AnOminous

But I'm not mad at anyone.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
My real-life fear is being infested or attacked by bugs while still alive. This is the notion that appears in my worst nightmares and that I cannot stop to think about. Anything with bugs under the skin, or in the flesh. I am a big fan of horror movies but I cannot stand anything with bug infestations, when you can see the colonies moving around in the flesh...

There's a mental illness called delusional parasitosis in which you experience hallucinations of bugs crawling under your skin. This sounds about as bad as actually having bugs. On the good side you usually get it from doing lots of meth, so just don't do lots of meth and you probably won't get it.

There are two related mental illnesses that are also really creepy, Capgras delusion and Cotard delusion. In the first, you are convinced people like your close family members have been replaced with perfect replicas but aren't the same people, like a skinwalker or body snatcher delusion. In Cotard's delusion, you actually believe you yourself are dead, that your body is decaying, or that you don't exist. Even if you have it together enough to know this is delusion, it still doesn't get rid of the feeling.

saralovesjuicyfruit

kiwifarms.net
I watch those crappy fake ass you tube channels with "15 SPOOKY GHOST VIDEOS YOU WILL NEVER SLEEP AGAIN FOR HAVING SEEN!" and such and nothing really bothers me in that realm. The only thing I like or is spoopy is if really heavy objects are tossed around. Only seen it once and don't know how they faked it. Dude was in a middle eastern abandoned area with homes. Huge ass blue barrel in one room. Guy leaves the room and the thing, which I would guess is like 150 pounds just flies out of position like some muscle dude on crack threw it. Awesome. Can't explain that yet.

The interesting thing about the ones like that is they are also livestreamed, not pre-recorded and uploaded. I've seen a lot of them that had things happen that I also thought would be extremely difficult (if not impossible) to fake.

I take it you never went to the "Bodies" exhibit made with the corpses of Chinese prisoners?

Also:

That's fucking crazy, I never knew that! I remember when that exhibit was new and hot like 15 years ago. I had no idea.

Dom Cruise

She had no one to play with for thirty years...
kiwifarms.net
"Distorted Trumpets" from Half-Life 2 that plays somewhere in the Anticitizen One chapter, and perhaps just the ambience in general. It's a mix of samples from a distorted trumpet and a song called "Is That The Door?". Some people say that somewhere in that audio, you can hear someone saying "Gordon? Can you hear me?"

Half-Life, despite being action-packed and fast, can put out some really creepy and depressing moments. This shit still sends chills down my spine.

Long, quiet hallways. I have to go through one to get to my place, and every single time, I hear a distant noise akin to footsteps that freaks me out and makes me want to sprint the rest of the way. That hallway made checking behind me a habit even outside of my place.

I remember that part of the game, for a brief moment you see the G-Man on a television screen standing on a boat, surrounded by birds and that weird music plays.

I always loved how the Half-Life series while not really being a horror series always had tons of creepy moments.

Years ago, I was working window at a drive-thru and I encountered a pedophile with his victim, and I never told anyone about it. It was around early October. I was trying to get the drinks finished and passed off when I noticed the customer was a 60 year-old British man (I can't remember if he was British, but he had that very particular Old British pedophile style) with what looked to be an 8 year old blonde girl in the passenger seat. She was dressed exactly like pic related, barring the cannons.
Shimakaze.png

There's enough plausible deniability in just those details that you could be forgiven for thinking it was just senile grandpa and silly granddaughter accidently bought something risque, but her demeanor still haunts me. She was acting like a little anime girl: She waited patiently and attentively for her food, and when she got it, she smiled very specifically. like she had only picked up cues from anime. It was a very genuine smile though. Again, I emphasize that I can see very easily how it could be just a misunderstanding, but every other alternative that leads to that specific course of events is still horrifying. It was the way the old man was acting around her. I really would like to say he was holding her hand the whole time, but that might just be an inserted memory. I do remember very clearly the way he was looking at her though, and that's what made me realize what was happening. Given where this occured as well, I wouldn't be surprised. A lot of rich, creepy weirdos with a lot of power and rural space to do whatever they want.

Don't mean to be overly paranoid, meds are starting to fuck with me again. But a little bit more light-heartedly, the old man looked like this.

KelpieSelkie

murder horse, shifty seal
kiwifarms.net
Sometimes when I'm really stressed out I suffer from auditory hallucinations. I'll hear someone call my name, a loud bang or knock or the sound of glass breaking. This happened a lot to me as a kid and it scared the hell out of me. I also experienced sleep paralysis from time to time, but I never saw demons or monsters when it happened.

Having said that, the thing about those noises is that I'm not sure if all of them were hallucinations or not. I don't care what anyone else says, I believe ghosts are real due to my own experiences and that my house used to have a lot of "passer-by". My older sister told me when we were little that a toy plane glided through the air and landed right in front of us once. Another time, she said she saw a little girl standing in the hallway by her bedroom, thought it was me, and told it go away. It vanished. My dad actually saw the figure of someone walking through the hallway a few months ago, and it wasn't me because I was at work, and it wasn't my mom because she was on the couch close by at the time. Everyone except my mother has seen or heard weird stuff in the house. I remember I was home alone once and I heard something like a bunch of knocks from the inside of my parent's bedroom, and I was so freaked out but I told whatever it was to leave me alone and not show itself to me, and it stopped. After that I think whatever it was must have left. However...

After my sister moved out several years ago, I'd get an eerie feeling when I walked past her room to mine. One time in the middle of the day a few years ago I glanced inside the empty room and froze because I saw something that looked like a weird mirror image of myself with no face standing inside of the walk-in closet. I looked at the thing for a few seconds enough to see it move the door a little and I bolted to my room, closed the door and hid in my bed. I think the fucking thing wanted to mess with me. It had my hair style and looked like it was wearing clothes similar to my sister's. I never want to see anything like that again. I think something had been hanging around in there and by the bathroom for a long, long time because when I was a kid I'd get the feeling of being watched constantly only ever in those areas of the house. I don't get the feeling anymore. I haven't seen, heard, or felt anything for a long time now.

Austrian Conscript 1915

Serbien muss sterbien!
kiwifarms.net
Source games have a weird feeling to them. I actually got really frightened playing portal 1. When you play tf2 and wonder around in an empty map it's also pretty freaky.
In portal it's intentional, but in other games it's not. To my understanding you're not supposed to get scared wandering around the map in tf2 or half life, that's what makes it more unnerving than anything else.

NoReturn

CEO Wash & Smash llc.
kiwifarms.net
Source games have a weird feeling to them. I actually got really frightened playing portal 1. When you play tf2 and wonder around in an empty map it's also pretty freaky.
In portal it's intentional, but in other games it's not. To my understanding you're not supposed to get scared wandering around the map in tf2 or half life, that's what makes it more unnerving than anything else.
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the source thing. I've booted up a few maps to check them out by myself and it is super weird. Something about the space is just not quite "right" for games, but it feels like a real-life place and that mismatch is I think what causes it.

ForgedBlades

Milled wedges.
kiwifarms.net
EAS warnings still freak me the fuck out as a grown adult. Just the idea of watching TV then randomly having it interrupted by that foreboding beeping, the robotic voice telling you that you're possibly going to die, and that bleak white text on a black background. Even thinking about it makes my skin crawl.

There are some pretty decent fakes on YouTube.

Last edited:

The 8 of Spades

Kiwi Farms' Friendly Local SALVATION™ Salesman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
EAS warning still freak me the fuck out as a grown adult. Just the idea of watching TV then randomly having it interrupted by that foreboding beeping, the robotic voice telling you that you're possibly going to die, and that bleak white text on a black background. Even thinking about it makes my skin crawl.

There are some pretty decent fakes on YouTube.

Meat Target

I'm what you call a professional
kiwifarms.net
Analog horror is a spicy subgenre of spoopy. But if it got too popular, I could see it becoming a lame, hackneyed meme like found footage, creepypastas, or SCPs.
Empty maps in multiplayer games are always a little eerie, or at least, lonely.

Tags
None