Shitty Alternate History Thread - If only the Romans had AK-47's they would've survived...

Lonely Grave

naked and alone, we die
kiwifarms.net
Does anyone know of Red Dawn+20? It was a collaborative alt-history project on a "History, Politics and Current Affairs Forum" (apparently located on some WW3 novel series fansite called TBOVerse) that took the 1984 film Red Dawn to its logical extreme - WW3 breaks out and a limited nuclear war ensues with plenty of fighting on continental US and everywhere besides. It is described on TVTropes as "a bloody conflict lasting from September 3, 1985, to October 14, 1989" and piqued my interest with this hilarious passage: "The sight of a crew of "black GIs riding an ex-SS Panther with a Confederate Battle Flag whipping from the aerial leading a column of Shermans, Centurions, and M36 Jackson tank destroyers against Ivan turned quite a few heads..."

I've been trying to find an archive of the whole thing for ages but no luck.

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
Does anyone know of Red Dawn+20? It was a collaborative alt-history project on a "History, Politics and Current Affairs Forum" (apparently located on some WW3 novel series fansite called TBOVerse) that took the 1984 film Red Dawn to its logical extreme - WW3 breaks out and a limited nuclear war ensues with plenty of fighting on continental US and everywhere besides. It is described on TVTropes as "a bloody conflict lasting from September 3, 1985, to October 14, 1989" and piqued my interest with this hilarious passage: "The sight of a crew of "black GIs riding an ex-SS Panther with a Confederate Battle Flag whipping from the aerial leading a column of Shermans, Centurions, and M36 Jackson tank destroyers against Ivan turned quite a few heads..."

I've been trying to find an archive of the whole thing for ages but no luck.
They're just good ole boys who raided the American Legion.

RockPaper

kiwifarms.net
Odd to think that Eric Flint is about as left of center as it is possible to be without skidding off to cloud-cuckoo land. He actually worked as a union labor organizer in the deep South back when being such a thing could easily earn you a beating, or maybe even worse. 'Course he is published by Baen, which seems on some level or other to always lead to an "America, Fuck Yeah!" outcome.
Just replying to this now (and very late) because I mentioned I was reading the 1632 series in the "What are you reading now" thread.

I recognize the writing is just fine but not exceptional, though I will say I'm finding it more interesting the longer it goes. Unintended consequences of 17th-century people being exposed to 20th Century ideas, the Butterfly Effect causing people who would have died to continue living (like The King of Sweden) and vice-versa, the fact that all the famous people we know from the 17th century on will likely never be born at all, and the only way anyone learns about our prime timeline is the memory of the people and the town library. Which quickly turned into possibly the most important location in the entire world almost overnight. Even the authors don't really have a long-term plan about where it's going, or how long it's going to go. I like that idea.

To be honest, I think my favorite thing might be 17th-Century musicians being completely overwhelmed by pretty much everything musical after 1680. When they first see and hear a piano (which hadn't been invented yet), it's almost a religious experience.

The Ottomans effectively figuring out how to use dirigibles as battlefield weapons before everyone else was interesting, too.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Elwood P. Dowd

Doctor Placebo

Somebody asked for brains?
kiwifarms.net
A random scenario:

If the Germans invaded Philippines instead of Japan
Talk about answering a question nobody was asking. Germany would never do something so logistically impractical when they had about a billion other more pressing targets. The scenario is so removed from reality that talking about it is useless because you have to either ignore so many circumstances of both countries or change them so much that they'd be the same countries in name only.

"What if instead of fighting the British, Washington's army invaded Finland?" -basically this video

• Agree
Reactions: RockPaper

Lolcow Imperium

kiwifarms.net
Talk about answering a question nobody was asking. Germany would never do something so logistically impractical when they had about a billion other more pressing targets. The scenario is so removed from reality that talking about it is useless because you have to either ignore so many circumstances of both countries or change them so much that they'd be the same countries in name only.

"What if instead of fighting the British, Washington's army invaded Finland?" -basically this video
Filipinos are some of the internets biggest attention whores, they never shut the fuck up about the Philippines. For example, 9 times out of 10 on any youtube history channel a full quarter of the commentors are people asking for a version of the video in Tagalog or asking for a video on the history of the Philippines.

ThatFuckingToucan

Flamingos are fucking stupid
kiwifarms.net
There's a book called The Conquest of America by Cleveland Moffett. It's about Imperial Germany invading the mainland USA, I think it's free online. It was written in... 1917? I believe?

Tags
None