shitty lgbt writing that tries too hard -

Knight Fight

kiwifarms.net
Maybe it's just me (and the fact I read a lot of lgbt stuff and am deep in the lgbt writing circles), but I've collected a lot of very specfic examples of tokenism and bad writing lately.

mostly people who REALLY would like you to know they are INCLUSIVE and so rather than handle it with much nuance, kind of slamdunk diversity in your face.

Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 10.43.06 AM.png

(found this on twitter being praised, don't know the book, holy shit is it awkward)

Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 9.16.04 PM.png

Wattpad! christ! again, my main emphasis being people who put labels and nothing else about their stories and expect that to... be all we need? all we care about? is there, y'know, a plot?
2016-05-18.png

I've been obsessed with this one post for years and could write a thesis on why it is such nonsense in the name of tokenized diversity

Screen_Shot_2017-12-04_at_10.02.39_PM.png

not from a book, but a reaction to a bad book (27 hours, trishiana wright). exemplifies what im talkin about.

Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 11.55.02 AM.png

from 27 hours. ah yes, 200 years in the future, a book published in 2017 references a scam kickstarter based on a tired joke.

Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 11.56.54 AM.png

Chameleon moon, a character with amnesia who has been in constant stress/danger finds it weird he hasn't found anyone hot yet. it's been 1 day, a few hours really, and he's only met like 3 people. not sure that qualifies him as asexual (but other chara sure marks him as such a few para later)

maybe this is too specific to be a thread but it's a minor love of mine

M

MW 002

kiwifarms.net
I have a hard time reading LGBT literature because they normally don't have anything going on outside of being LGBT orientated.

I do remember reading one book (can't remember the title) where it involved lesbians. The relationship was extremely toxic- the butch lesbian's physical abuse against the younger girl was glorified to the extent it made me extremely uncomfortable.

Sylvie Paula Paula

Running at 500 "bi"s per minute
kiwifarms.net
I have a hard time reading LGBT literature because they normally don't have anything going on outside of being LGBT orientated.

I do remember reading one book (can't remember the title) where it involved lesbians. The relationship was extremely toxic- the butch lesbian's physical abuse against the younger girl was glorified to the extent it made me extremely uncomfortable.
Because abuse between two lesbians is progressive! /sarcasm

Sinners Sandwich

Eid Htrad Redav Eid !
kiwifarms.net

Out on the balcony, when Reginald kissed Diana's lips, her knees went weak. Slowly, he pulled her top down, exposing her soft, unyielding breasts. Just the sight of those breasts made Reginald's penis very hard. His penis was of considerable size, and now beads of sweat slowly ran down his penis, making it glisten like a strong swimmer, fresh from out of the pool. It was a fantastic penis, that seemed as strong as a horse's leg, yet as delicate as a flower wrapped in silk. What a grand, grand penis. Diana's nipples...

Chapter 18

Diana had never slept with another woman before, but it was an erotic thought she often fantasized about, and as Rebecca's naked body lay before her, Diana couldn't help but feel aroused. "Go on", Rebecca said softly, "Touch me." Diana leaned down slowly and brushed Rebecca's bare stomach with her fingertips... It felt good. Like a penis. A soft, but sturdy penis that felt warm to the touch. In Rebecca's mind, she suddenly felt like she was surrounded by penises. They were all around her, flopping all around and slapping her face. It was as if she were in a redwood forest of penises. They presented themselves tall and mighty all around her, with...

DailyToastBoat

"An ocean full of seamen"
kiwifarms.net
The summary of that genderfluid whatever is painful to read. Instead of writing "XY is fun, optimistic and blahsexual/blahgender" it's much better to write such a description as a whole.
Not to mention that it's a weird approach to define your characters by their sexualities. Who gives a damn who they're loving and doing?
A human is much more than that.
Also the reader should get a sense of their personality while reading.
Your character is kind? Don't spoiler it, show it in their actions dang it.

Furina

Centerfold
kiwifarms.net
The summary of that genderfluid whatever is painful to read. Instead of writing "XY is fun, optimistic and blahsexual/blahgender" it's much better to write such a description as a whole.
Not to mention that it's a weird approach to define your characters by their sexualities. Who gives a damn who they're loving and doing?
A human is much more than that.
Also the reader should get a sense of their personality while reading.
Your character is kind? Don't spoiler it, show it in their actions dang it.
The writers can only tell you what a character is. Not who a character is. That requires a modicum of talent and a lot of practice. They've reduced themselves to mere labels and so they cannot imagine characters as being anything else either. I don't think they understand what a personality really is. To them, it's just a collection of self-applied labels that are told to the reader and other characters, rather than traits revealed via actions.

Jewed Hunter

kiwifarms.net

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino