Shoudaku Con - Shane Holmberg's consent con has been cancelled

Immaculate Ape

It was ME... DIO!
kiwifarms.net
I agree with everything you said.

The only real flags that they wave are panels and programming specifically for LGBT people. And even then that's basically normal shit especially for anime cons. A lot of the panels at smaller events are run by locals or people who apply specifically to be panelists. At larger events the panelists are chosen specifically because they are a part of the LGBT community and are approached with the topic of the panel asking if they'd like to be a part.

LGBT culture and con culture have always intermingled. A lot of people attend these events and get to be themselves, so to speak. It has always been a place where people don't have to worry about judgment because at the end of the day we're all nerds doing nerd things.

That's why I hate the gatekeeping. People like Shane and Manjaw make cons unsafe for children and adolescents who are trying to figure themselves out because they are telling these young, impressionable people how to feel and what to think. It is most definitely the first step in grooming, as much as we joke about it.

These kids are looking to be with people who understand them and let loose. If there's any bit of pushback about how they express themselves, it's like glass shattering. It'll take forever to pick up all the pieces.
Absolutely correct.

Grooming how kids should react. Telling them what they should feel, how they should react to "terrible" things. Gaslighting them, and programming them to be as broken and bitter as they have grown to be.

The only adults that should have any hand in crafting how a child is raised are their parents. Not greasy, broken degenerate re.tards who can't take care of themselves, let alone any other life form.

@Shane_Yes_That_One You already spent years grooming a minor and latched her into a marriage with your disgusting, retch of a being. Stop trying to convince younger generations they should destroy their future because some overweight, pathetic lunatic has a desperate need to feel valid in a world where he's so incredibly insignificant. So insignificant that you feel the need to constantly humiliate yourself because you're too much of a coward to do the world a favor and zero-sum.

In short @Shane_Yes_That_One: rot in your apartment, alone and flaccid, like the omega-cuck that you are.

Garm

kiwifarms.net
To be fair, the people who run it probably aren't vocal pedophiles like Shane. Also, gaming conventions tend to have a lot more people who care about them because they're so small and at times more niche with the only large convention being GenCon (which has turned to shit over the years). Comic and anime conventions tend to only be good if they're at least somewhat large, at least large enough to have a fair amount of various types of guests and a vendor hall. Don't get me started on how Shane wanted rooms to talk about LGBT idiocy than to have rooms for watching anime.
I agree with all this. The point being that Shane makes such a big deal about this Vic stuff, that it is time to clean up the anime industry and by God Shane is the guy to do it, that he should have more people liking it.

He is in a major metropolitan area and it looks like no one can give half a fuck about his convention.

Anonymus Fluhre

No man fears what he has seen grow
kiwifarms.net
So the TL;DR of the thread is that Shane is a lazy, stupid pedo that despises the truth and hard work almost as much as he despises looking for potential dating partners among adults. Got it.
Shane could just save money and put an ad up on an adult dating site or Craigslist.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: P5Fever

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
So the TL;DR of the thread is that Shane is a lazy, stupid pedo that despises the truth and hard work almost as much as he despises looking for potential dating partners among adults. Got it.
It's amazing the reputational suicide these morons are willing to commit in some weird grudge match against some voice actor who didn't even previously know they existed. Or in the case of absolutely pathetic nobodies like Shane and Emmett Plant, still doesn't.

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net
Probably because it has nothing to do with anime run by a guy who can easy be searched for online. He's also hasn't done any networking for it or advertisement.
I think that was the weirdest thing about this whole con. I mean, look at their mission statement:

Shoudaku Con (しょうだく)

A conference intended to promote the exchange of ideas, opinions, and views; with the intent of laying the necessary foundation to construct an archetype convention for the 21st Century.

Welcome to The Era of Enthusiastic Consent.

Shoudaku Con is about more than just consent in in real life spaces, but how consent, sexuality, dating, and interactions are appearing in our online spaces, anime, media, and video games.

Shoudaku Con strives to inform, educate, and evolve perspectives. We aim to improve every branch, offshoot, and affiliate of the convention culture, Anime or otherwise.

Our team is, ambitious maybe, but dedicated to laying the foundation necessary to design the archetype standard that strives to protect attendees from unwanted attention and/or contact while fostering an environment that exemplifies the safest convention space yet.

Shoudaku Con promotes inviolable safe spaces, and emphasizes the necessity of Enthusiastic Consent when interacting with Convention Attendees, Guest, and Staff alike.
It barely mentions anime at all, and only then in the context of consent. They were literally pitching this as a "consent con". As a concept, it's dodgy enough already, but it would probably be more effective if this was pitched as like a workshop event for industry people and con organizers, where they could network and brainstorm ideas of how to make better anti-harassment policies, keep pedophiles like Shane off their staff, and the like. Y'know, have informative panels with lawyers, PR people, successful con CEOs. I question if anyone really "needs" something like that, but lord knows people have paid for dumber things in terms of workshops.

Of course, the problem with that is two-fold. First, it doesn't feed Shane's ego enough to run a small event intended to benefit the convention scene; his version of "I'm helping!" only exists if everyone knows he did it. Secondly, nobody's going to be running off to attend a workshop intended to make their cons a better place that's run by a guy who got drummed out of a major convention, and spent a significant amount of the last year getting into Internet slapfights with people. Whether or not you actually think something like this is necessary or good, Shane's really not the person to execute it.

Dumb Bitch Smoothie

Any time now, faggots.
kiwifarms.net
I think that was the weirdest thing about this whole con. I mean, look at their mission statement:

It barely mentions anime at all, and only then in the context of consent. They were literally pitching this as a "consent con". As a concept, it's dodgy enough already, but it would probably be more effective if this was pitched as like a workshop event for industry people and con organizers, where they could network and brainstorm ideas of how to make better anti-harassment policies, keep pedophiles like Shane off their staff, and the like. Y'know, have informative panels with lawyers, PR people, successful con CEOs. I question if anyone really "needs" something like that, but lord knows people have paid for dumber things in terms of workshops.

Of course, the problem with that is two-fold. First, it doesn't feed Shane's ego enough to run a small event intended to benefit the convention scene; his version of "I'm helping!" only exists if everyone knows he did it. Secondly, nobody's going to be running off to attend a workshop intended to make their cons a better place that's run by a guy who got drummed out of a major convention, and spent a significant amount of the last year getting into Internet slapfights with people. Whether or not you actually think something like this is necessary or good, Shane's really not the person to execute it.
Shane doesn't want to run workshops. He doesn't want to actually better the community and he admitted that. He wants fame, clout, money, and more child brides.

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net
Shane doesn't want to run workshops. He doesn't want to actually better the community and he admitted that. He wants fame, clout, money, and more child brides.
Oh, definitely. All I was saying is that the premise of this whole thing wasn't going to get him any of that anyway, and at least my idea has the potential to get someone something. Though, as I said, Shane being Shane would prevent even that from working, so it's mostly irrelevant.

Dumb Bitch Smoothie

Any time now, faggots.
kiwifarms.net
Oh, definitely. All I was saying is that the premise of this whole thing wasn't going to get him any of that anyway, and at least my idea has the potential to get someone something. Though, as I said, Shane being Shane would prevent even that from working, so it's mostly irrelevant.
I think it's sad but also amusing that we could organize a better convention, honestly. Then again a lot of Kiwis have a background that would benefit any sort of event.

So much for unemployed incels amirite fellas

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Why does a disgraced pedophile groomer like Shane think he has any credibility at all to run a "consent con," whatever the fuck that's even supposed to be?

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net
Why does a disgraced pedophile groomer like Shane think he has any credibility at all to run a "consent con," whatever the fuck that's even supposed to be?
To be fair, some of the DMs leaked in this thread show that even he was aware that he couldn't be the public face of the convention. He just couldn't really find anyone else to be the public face for him. Which isn't too shocking; even ignoring the whole "marrying your friend's daughter who is 20 years your junior" thing, he essentially got forced out of the biggest con in the DFW area just a few years ago. Nothing about him suggests that he's an authority on running conventions or moral integrity.

Anonymus Fluhre

kiwifarms.net

The last Anime convention I went to it was all about different rooms with anime running in each one and two theatre rooms to watch anime movies. Shane isn't an actual fan of anime so doesn't get the spirit of such conventions. He just uses these events to get asspats and hit on little girls.

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net
The last Anime convention I went to it was all about different rooms with anime running in each one and two theatre rooms to watch anime movies. Shane isn't an actual fan of anime so doesn't get the spirit of such conventions. He just uses these events to get asspats and hit on little girls.
I mean, I get all that, but he still was involved in operations for one of the largest Anime conventions in the world, so you'd think he'd have some general idea of what people want in an anime convention. Granted, this isn't an anime convention, I guess? I can't even tell. But still, your website should at least vaguely mention things like fan meetups, guests, panels, industry pros, dances, costume contests, vendors, artists' tables, etc. The con was supposed to be in May and pretty much none of that was on there in December. Like, it didn't even mention if it would be there at all. That's a pretty big problem. Add to that the fact that the website barely even mentioned anime, and, well, I can't really see how that was going to attract anyone to go.

Like, even if the only goal was to get asspats and pat girls' asses, it was still done in such a way he wasn't likely to get either of those things. It's just fascinating in the sense that he, at least theoretically, should have known this would be the case.

Reactions: ShinyStar

Garm

kiwifarms.net
I mean, I get all that, but he still was involved in operations for one of the largest Anime conventions in the world, so you'd think he'd have some general idea of what people want in an anime convention. Granted, this isn't an anime convention, I guess? I can't even tell. But still, your website should at least vaguely mention things like fan meetups, guests, panels, industry pros, dances, costume contests, vendors, artists' tables, etc. The con was supposed to be in May and pretty much none of that was on there in December. Like, it didn't even mention if it would be there at all. That's a pretty big problem. Add to that the fact that the website barely even mentioned anime, and, well, I can't really see how that was going to attract anyone to go.

Like, even if the only goal was to get asspats and pat girls' asses, it was still done in such a way he wasn't likely to get either of those things. It's just fascinating in the sense that he, at least theoretically, should have known this would be the case.
Shane tripped over his own shoe laces because he couldn't be the face of the convention. He expected more support from the industry. He expected people to bend over backwards because he could deliver woke cred.

Shane didn't do anything because somebody else was supposed to.

Botchy Galoop

Socially Distant
kiwifarms.net
he still was involved in operations for one of the largest Anime conventions in the world, so you'd think he'd have some general idea of what people want in an anime convention.
I think that maybe he does realize what people want from an Anime Con...and his dilemma is that what the fans want is "problematic". Or at least all of his slacktivist buddies will surely find something to get morally outraged over. He is flying too close to the sun by running a con at this time. The fans will stay away in droves because Consent Con sounds about as dry as a popcorn fart and his buddies don't go to these events they just like to bitch and cancel people who do.

Reactions: P5Fever

Anonymus Fluhre

kiwifarms.net
@I can't imagine chances are good that all Shane did was give people their badges. It's why he doesn't have a clue what he's doing. I still have my old documents for running a gaming convention that's more in depth than what he had down. Why didn't he talk about vendors? Guests? Events that were anime related? Work shops for things like learning how to do cosplay? What about room size? What the location has to offer, hotels and restaurants near by. How many guests his location can have (by guests I mean convention staff and convention goers). Would it have any swag, even a nice badge can be decent swag as many convention goers keep them. Any door prizes? Is there room for any games? There was so much information missing about his convention that it really shows that he didn't have a clue what he was doing.

Tags
None