Should I give this game/game series a look? -

TheImportantFart

Tradflatulist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My vision for this thread is for it to be used as a resource where people who are thinking about giving a game/game series a shot can ask whether it's actually worth their time and hopefully have Kiwis in the know provide some advice.

I'll kick us off. I've been wanting to give the Monster Hunter series a try. I get the impression it's the kind of thing I'd want to play on the go, so I'm specifically interested in the Monster Hunter Generations HD port for the Switch. Is that a good place to start? Is the game any good compared to other games in the series?

Shaved Kiwis

Gran Autismo 3: A-Sped
kiwifarms.net
I could never get into Monster Hunter because I found the lack of direct character leveling very off putting (hyper autistic, I know).

Never played Monster Hunter, but you've reminded me of Monster Rancher and now I want to dust off my old copy and play it.
Never got into Monster Rancher proper beyond fucking around to see what Monsters my CDs would generate, but I fucking loved Monster Rancher Battle Card on the PSX. The battle mechanics were well executed and it was focused on card battling. You didn't have to bother wandering the towns like in that Pokemon Trading Card Game that was popular at around the same time on the GBC.

Chicken Picnic

aka crippled picnic
kiwifarms.net
its good, i have the 3ds version and its that with a whole ton more extra content

The only thing with monster hunter is it's really grindy, its the same stuff over and over- kill new monster, get parts, kill same monster again, get more parts, make armour/weapons, rince and repeat. So if that sounds boring af to you, you'll hate it. But, the storylines of the games aren't really related at all, other than the world it's set in so you don't have to start anywhere specific. The combat is mostly the same through all, just new weapons as the titles go on and more combat changes like skills you can use in battle. Monhun 3 (wiiu/3ds) has underwater combat though and they didnt bring it back again after that so lmao, take what you want from that.

I personally really like monster hunter world, and theres a new expansion coming out this year so its a good time to get into it if you like it. As far as variety of content goes, generations on switch is definitely your best bet as they pretty much ported every monster from previous games into it when you get to the higher-rank quests.

scorptatious

Lord of the Shitters
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I would definitely give the Monster Hunter games a go. Freedom Unite or 4 Ultimate I feel are your best bet if you're wanting to go portable. They're both relatively challenging while also trimming out some of the more annoying bits from the older games. World is also really good if you want to play on a console or PC.

Ted_Breakfast

What'll it be, boys?
kiwifarms.net
I've been tempted to give Assassin's Creed: Black Flag a try. Sid Meier's Pirates! is one of my favorite games, and I've heard that the actual piracy gameplay in the game is pretty fun. But, it's an Assassin's Creed game, and that means lots of boring cutscenes and the sort of blandness typical to AAA games.

Should I give it a shot?

Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

gun

kiwifarms.net
i liked dragon age origins, is mass effect anything like it, or even dragon age 2/inquisition for that matter?

Exceptional Mafioso

kiwifarms.net
i liked dragon age origins, is mass effect anything like it, or even dragon age 2/inquisition for that matter?
Dragon Age Origins is the only one of those games worth playing and the sequels are total disappointments if you liked anything about the first.

Mass Effect is going to be similar in terms of its scenario structure (it's BioWare's classic model) but otherwise you're in for a very different experience. Should definitely try it though. Mass Effect is really good.

I've been thinking about taking a snatch at playing Rapelay, what are your guys opinions on it? How gripping is the gameplay?
Game is okay. Don't pay money for it and it's great. You'll bust a few loads, forget you have the game, and in a year and a half you'll be in for a jerkin good time when you recall all of the options at your fingertips.

Exceptional Mafioso

kiwifarms.net
play sengoku rance. not only is the rape better, the gameplay is actually fun if your into tactical RPGS.
I second this.

Sengoku Rance is a great tactical RPG the delivers on the sex and the "make the whole map my color" gameplay elements. Lots of subquests and hidden objects/characters/kingdoms/scenes. It has multiple goddamn endings that are a challenge to achieve and require you to think and plan your game.

rance.png

Rance really did end up having the last laugh. It's a great video game.

Niggernerd

Idolm@ster has all my big tiddy waifus
kiwifarms.net
I was thinking about trying western games but forgot we disgusting low IQ western gaijin pigs are too stupid and uncultured to make such amazing games like the glorious Nippon people's.

• Feels
Reactions: Exceptional Mafioso

purpleboy

Still straighter than Gold Experience
kiwifarms.net
I was thinking about trying western games but forgot we disgusting low IQ western gaijin pigs are too stupid and uncultured to make such amazing games like the glorious Nippon people's.
Go back to eating your bananas, Polpo Polpvana

• Feels
Reactions: Niggernerd

A single cheeto

Freelance Police Sped Unit
kiwifarms.net
Is Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel any good? I got it as part of the Handsome Collection, but I haven't tried it yet.

Yaito-Chan

Let's face it, you'll never be as rich as me.
kiwifarms.net
Sengoku Rance is a great tactical RPG the delivers on the sex and the "make the whole map my color" gameplay elements. Lots of subquests and hidden objects/characters/kingdoms/scenes. It has multiple goddamn endings that are a challenge to achieve and require you to think and plan your game.
Don't forget about the awesome soundtrack.

Gravityqueen4life

may or may not collect her garbage
kiwifarms.net
Is Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel any good? I got it as part of the Handsome Collection, but I haven't tried it yet.
yes and no. the gameplay is better thanks to lessor weapons being fun to use and anti-gravity makes it alot more easier to move around and dodge bullets by jumping in the air. the story is absolute trash. every character you meet is either gay or bi and has an Aussie accent. it really has some boring annoying side quest were you forced to visit an area you just been too and cleared only to have too go back again but with the enemies respawned. i recommend playing as either fake Jack or Nisha if you plan on playing solo since they OP and most of the bosses are a real pain too beat if you play above normal difficulty. i would also recommend installing the community patch so you will get decent loot drops on you instead of worthless white and green weapons 90% of the time. will make playing TVHM easier since that shits unblanced if you plan on playing it alone. links how to install the patch below.

BoingoTango

Sabat on a gayops
kiwifarms.net
If you are into Dragon Age, you should try Divinity II. Didn't play the first one so can't speak on that, but it's a lot like it, except I like the combat a lot better.

• Agree
Reactions: Exceptional Mafioso

Exceptional Mafioso

kiwifarms.net
@TheImportantFart
I've attempted to get into Monster Hunter several times with several different versions of the game. I got furthest into the one for the Wii U, which was a very okay game. But I didn't really enjoy it; Monster Hunter (at least for me) doesn't offer enough of a hook. The general idea behind the gameplay and its systems is cool to me, but it isn't the sort of synergy that I want to play with. Otherwise there was just too much available right away and I felt like I was being bombarded with more complexity that I was ready for or really wanted.

Eventually I'll figure this series out though and probably thoroughly enjoy it. So to that end you should definitely try one of the games out. There's so much there that you'll be richly rewarded if you end up loving the game. And if not you can always try again later.

Okay I think I have one: Should I get Parkitect? I played the alpha a long time ago but imagine things have changed a lot. Reviews look really good though.

• Informative
Reactions: TheImportantFart
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino