Should I give this game/game series a look? -

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net
Is Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel any good? I got it as part of the Handsome Collection, but I haven't tried it yet.
Yes, I found it quite good, if not as replayable as BL2. I played as the Handsome Jack Doppelganger and had a blast getting kill skill bonuses from my holograms (you can get ridiculously powerful with them, it's how I was able to solo the raid boss). The addition of laser and cryo weapons were solid, the zero-g movements made for more unique battles, and I thought that Claptastic Voyage was a fun time all around. By all means, go ahead and play it, you'll have a fun 20 or so hours with it.

Anyway, I've been meaning to give the Final Fantasy series a shot, and VII looks like an interesting time. As someone whose experience with JRPGs basically amounts to the Paper Mario series and Mario RPG, how would I fare with a game like Final Fantasy VII?

The 8 of Spades

If Only You Knew How HONK HONK Things Really Are
kiwifarms.net
Yes, I found it quite good, if not as replayable as BL2. I played as the Handsome Jack Doppelganger and had a blast getting kill skill bonuses from my holograms (you can get ridiculously powerful with them, it's how I was able to solo the raid boss). The addition of laser and cryo weapons were solid, the zero-g movements made for more unique battles, and I thought that Claptastic Voyage was a fun time all around. By all means, go ahead and play it, you'll have a fun 20 or so hours with it.

Anyway, I've been meaning to give the Final Fantasy series a shot, and VII looks like an interesting time. As someone whose experience with JRPGs basically amounts to the Paper Mario series and Mario RPG, how would I fare with a game like Final Fantasy VII?
Mario RPG was made by the same company as FF, So you shouldn't be that out of your depth. Also start with FF VI, because it's fucking incredible and from the SNES so you'll probably have an easier time getting the hang of the differences between the two games(Mario RPG & FF).

• Agree
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

Vault Boy

kiwifarms.net
Mario RPG was made by the same company as FF, So you shouldn't be that out of your depth. Also start with FF VI, because it's fucking incredible and from the SNES so you'll probably have an easier time getting the hang of the differences between the two games(Mario RPG & FF).
I should clarify that my primary console is the Xbox One, so something like VI is currently unfeasible.

The 8 of Spades

If Only You Knew How HONK HONK Things Really Are
kiwifarms.net
I should clarify that my primary console is the Xbox One, so something like VI is currently unfeasible.
If you've got a computer from the last decade or so (or older really) you could always emulate it, otherwise 7 is a good start because it's the birth of the more "modern" FF games. If you're going to emulate it, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can help out.

Vault Boy

kiwifarms.net
If you've got a computer from the last decade or so (or older really) you could always emulate it, otherwise 7 is a good start because it's the birth of the more "modern" FF games. If you're going to emulate it, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can help out.
Thanks, but I'm not really big on emulation, so I think I'll start with 7 when it either gets on sale or Game Pass.

Reactions: The 8 of Spades

Loopy Lew

kiwifarms.net
Is Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel any good? I got it as part of the Handsome Collection, but I haven't tried it yet.
It's about as good as Borderlands 2 in my opinion. It really depends on whether or not you have someone to play with of course. You're going to have a much harder time if you're playing solo.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I've been tempted to give Assassin's Creed: Black Flag a try. Sid Meier's Pirates! is one of my favorite games, and I've heard that the actual piracy gameplay in the game is pretty fun. But, it's an Assassin's Creed game, and that means lots of boring cutscenes and the sort of blandness typical to AAA games.

Should I give it a shot?
If you like pirates the game is a must play, the AC stuff is the weakest link but it's tolerable and the pirate stuff is not overshadowed by it.

Seriously, it's really good, you should play it.

How is the Shadow Warrior reboot and it's sequel like? They look like asian Doom and I am a-okay with that, but are they as fun?
I thought Shadow Warrior started off pretty good, but the levels take a nose dive and become really bland and boring, think warehouses and sewers and the game becomes really, really repetitive, I didn't finish it.

I did like finding weird easter eggs though.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
I've finished Persona 5 and had a blast with that game mostly due to its themes, story, characters, and super sleek style/UI. But until P5R comes out I've got nothing to scratch that same itch, save for going back and replaying the older games which supposedly don't have a lot of the features that made P5 as good as it was to begin with. Yet that aside, I've still heard incredible things about P4/P4G, and to a lesser extent P3 (and to an even lesser extent, P2 and P1), as well as the Shin Megami Tensei series where this all spawned from specifically because people won't shut up about how fucking amazing Nocturne is. So are any of these worth playing nowadays, or should I stick to waiting for P5R?
You should go and play Persona 3/4, the games aren't drastically different; but it also depends on what consoles/emulation/whatever you have available to you.

Here are a few things (depending on version) that might annoy the shit out of you, coming from Persona 5.

- You can no longer choose what skills a Persona gets during fusion, they take them at random (based on preference, so a fire persona is 50x more likely to inherit Agi over Bufu). This is present in all version outside of Persona 4 : Golden; IIRC. You can "reshuffle" the skills for free, but getting them just right is time consuming. Some of the later games mitigate this somewhat by having "skill cards", but expect to put a fair amount of time in the Velvet Room.
- You have less/no control over party member's skills on level up depending on the version of the game.
- In Vanilla Persona 3 (PS2) you cannot directly control your party members. They typically make OK decisions (and are psychic) but "Mitsuru casts Marin Karin" was a meme for a while for good reason. To balance this, the MC is able to use every weapon in the game.
- Persona 3 has some anti-grinding measures in the game, particularly the early game. Characters can be unavailable for dungeon crawling for several consecutive days as a result.
- Persona 3 has a stricter social link system. Persona 3's Social Links (depending on system) don't affect the performance of your party members. Some party S.Links are straight up unavailable.
- Persona 3 has a stricter "Social Stat" system, and several more things are locked behind it.
- Persona 3 has a single, central dungeon instead of themed dungeons (think of Persona 5's Mementos)
- Although I think P5 was the weakest of the series in terms of writing, all of the Persona 3/4/5 games draw on similar themes and archtypes. You may find P3/P4's writing to be to similar to P5's.
- The "out of combat, but in a dungeon" mechanics are less refined in previous games. You can still ambush enemies, but it's no where the level of P5's slickness.

Outside of those (which isn't a lot, mind you) the games will probably feel really familiar to you and should scratch the same itch. The UIs are different but they all work with the game's themes.

Persona 1/2/2.5 are basically a series of thier own and play much differently than the "current" Persona games and are much more comparable to the Shin Megami Tensei series they spun off from and aren't majorly connected to the "current" Persona series. The two sets of games have some vastly different lore that I won't spoil, but also different combat mechanics and thematic elements. They're good games in their own right but I wouldn't recommend them just from "I enjoyed Persona 5".

Reactions: Violence Jack

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
Here are a few things (depending on version) that might annoy the shit out of you, coming from Persona 5.

- You can no longer choose what skills a Persona gets during fusion, they take them at random (based on preference, so a fire persona is 50x more likely to inherit Agi over Bufu). This is present in all version outside of Persona 4 : Golden; IIRC. You can "reshuffle" the skills for free, but getting them just right is time consuming. Some of the later games mitigate this somewhat by having "skill cards", but expect to put a fair amount of time in the Velvet Room.
Meh, that’s not too much of a downer. I’m more of the “grind and play the shit out of a place for completionist’s sake” anyways when it comes to RPGs so, aside from maybe achievement hunting, or fusing Personas whilst basing its moves on a specific typeset/counter strategy, that shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

It sucks that I won’t be able to mix and match at will, but I can live with that (and I’m also not buying a Vita JUST to play P4G for some of those features and nothing else because fuck that noise: I’ll wait for a port if they ever make it).
- You have less/no control over party member's skills on level up depending on the version of the game.
I could also live with that if the game itself is fine, and the characters are fun to interact with regardless. For the most part, I just leveled whoever I could whenever I could, depending on whoever was in my party and whoever needed to be leveled at that point in time, and it generally went alright. It wasn’t until the endgame where I started having trouble, but I was able to properly strategize and make it through anyhow, so not a huge loss.

What IS gonna be a huge loss is...
- In Vanilla Persona 3 (PS2) you cannot directly control your party members. They typically make OK decisions (and are psychic) but "Mitsuru casts Marin Karin" was a meme for a while for good reason. To balance this, the MC is able to use every weapon in the game.
...That.

I mean, cool, more power for me...but in most RPGs I’ve played, I love when I have hands-on control of my party. If I don’t, I generally have to leave it up to chance and the AI’s whims. And I HATE that, because it usually results in me getting my ass kicked. For Persona, I would hope that it’s better balanced than other games, but I’m not holding my breath.
- Persona 3 has some anti-grinding measures in the game, particularly the early game. Characters can be unavailable for dungeon crawling for several consecutive days as a result.
Oh, so it’s like the the bit with Morgana/Ryuji bickering and Morgana leaves the group for nearly a week but constant and forever.

Oh. GOODY.
- Persona 3 has a stricter social link system. Persona 3's Social Links (depending on system) don't affect the performance of your party members. Some party S.Links are straight up unavailable.
Here’s the thing: in my first playthrough of P5, I didn’t really choose Confidants to level up until near the end where I knew some Confidants gave me invaluable abilities for upcoming bosses. I just hung out with whoever whenever and that worked out fine with me.

So, so long as Social Links aren’t absolutely required for progression or are absolutely necessary to progress against certain areas, then that shouldn’t be too bad.

If they are, well...I won’t like the fact that I’ll basically be forced to interact with other characters, but that shouldn’t be as big of a deal if the main cast is enjoyable enough to be around and talk to (which, from what I’ve heard, they are...for the most part).
- Persona 3 has a stricter "Social Stat" system, and several more things are locked behind it.
Even stricter than P5‽ Well, again, see the point above. I’d rather not have to go through a shitton of playthroughs just to figure out certain storylines...but something tells me I might have to.
- Persona 3 has a single, central dungeon instead of themed dungeons (think of Persona 5's Mementos)
Right, uh:

Tartarus, was it? That should be pretty cool actually! I really liked doing Mementos whenever I had free time, so that should be fun. It was an interesting concept, albeit a bit repetitive.
- Although I think P5 was the weakest of the series in terms of writing, all of the Persona 3/4/5 games draw on similar themes and archtypes. You may find P3/P4's writing to be to similar to P5's.
Good to know, thanks!
- The "out of combat, but in a dungeon" mechanics are less refined in previous games. You can still ambush enemies, but it's no where the level of P5's slickness.
Kinda figured, given how unique and smooth the transitions were in P5 on the PS4 while P3 and P4 (AFAIK) were first released on...the PS2. Let’s just say: I expect lots of early-2000’s jank.
Outside of those (which isn't a lot, mind you) the games will probably feel really familiar to you and should scratch the same itch. The UIs are different but they all work with the game's themes.
Really? The layouts actually fit thematically? Huh.

I kinda figured that they would all have a standard RPG menu layout from what little footage I’ve seen of each, but that should help the transition be a little less rocky.
Persona 1/2/2.5 are basically a series of thier own and play much differently than the "current" Persona games and are much more comparable to the Shin Megami Tensei series they spun off from and aren't majorly connected to the "current" Persona series. The two sets of games have some vastly different lore that I won't spoil, but also different combat mechanics and thematic elements. They're good games in their own right but I wouldn't recommend them just from "I enjoyed Persona 5".
Yeah, that makes sense: I’ll have to see how these first few games sit first before I fully commit to the series and SMT but it’s nice to have a list like this just to help get a better idea of what to look out for. Thanks for that, by the way. This was incredibly helpful.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
Meh, that’s not too much of a downer. I’m more of the “grind and play the shit out of a place for completionist’s sake” anyways when it comes to RPGs so, aside from maybe achievement hunting, or fusing Personas whilst basing its moves on a specific typeset/counter strategy, that shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

It sucks that I won’t be able to mix and match at will, but I can live with that (and I’m also not buying a Vita JUST to play P4G for some of those features and nothing else because fuck that noise: I’ll wait for a port if they ever make it).

I could also live with that if the game itself is fine, and the characters are fun to interact with regardless. For the most part, I just leveled whoever I could whenever I could, depending on whoever was in my party and whoever needed to be leveled at that point in time, and it generally went alright. It wasn’t until the endgame where I started having trouble, but I was able to properly strategize and make it through anyhow, so not a huge loss.

What IS gonna be a huge loss is...

...That.

I mean, cool, more power for me...but in most RPGs I’ve played, I love when I have hands-on control of my party. If I don’t, I generally have to leave it up to chance and the AI’s whims. And I HATE that, because it usually results in me getting my ass kicked. For Persona, I would hope that it’s better balanced than other games, but I’m not holding my breath.

Oh, so it’s like the the bit with Morgana/Ryuji bickering and Morgana leaves the group for nearly a week but constant and forever.

Oh. GOODY.

Here’s the thing: in my first playthrough of P5, I didn’t really choose Confidants to level up until near the end where I knew some Confidants gave me invaluable abilities for upcoming bosses. I just hung out with whoever whenever and that worked out fine with me.

So, so long as Social Links aren’t absolutely required for progression or are absolutely necessary to progress against certain areas, then that shouldn’t be too bad.

If they are, well...I won’t like the fact that I’ll basically be forced to interact with other characters, but that shouldn’t be as big of a deal if the main cast is enjoyable enough to be around and talk to (which, from what I’ve heard, they are...for the most part).

Even stricter than P5‽ Well, again, see the point above. I’d rather not have to go through a shitton of playthroughs just to figure out certain storylines...but something tells me I might have to.

Really? The layouts actually fit thematically? Huh.
To touch on your specific concerns.

Persona 3
Your characters have an END stat and it determines how long they can be in a dungeon before getting tired. Being tired is a huge penalty (they do less damage, take more damage, get critted more often, etc) but you can opt to make them push through it by not leaving the dungeon and denying thier request to leave. If you push it too hard, they will get sick for a few days and cannot be forced to enter the dungeon optionally (and everyone recovers for story missions).

AI characters are in Persona 3 for PS2 only - you can direct control allies in the PSP version (and also be a girl character with almost a full set of social links), but the characters are capable of making bullshit decisions. Almost 100% of the time when they decide to melee, they decided to do so because they know it's going to crit. They very frequently get lucky on guessing weaknesses as well. Additionally, the Player Character is capable of being monstrously powerful much faster than in previous games. If you wind up with the PS2 version it isn't the big deal it sounds like.

The S.Links in Persona 3 do not provide any additional power to party members, only to you (and that's only through the fusion bonus, so +5 persona levels at S.Link 10). Missing some links doesn't have a negative gameplay effect at all (compared to P5/P4). The only thing you would (potentially) miss is dating some waifus and/or hot boys.

Persona 3/Persona 4
Persona Shuffling (reshuffling skills to get the ones you want) does get to be a pain in the ass when you're trying to keep "good skills" on all of your personas. Because of the way the game works, passive skills (like "Nullify Ice") are never high priority - so if you want a persona who's weak to ice to get "Nullify Ice", it's going to take some tries. Even more if you want "Nullify Ice" and another passive.

I'd recommend you try the PSP version if you're into S.Links though (because there's two sets).

Persona UI
I could go nuts over this (more than I already have), but yeah all of the UIs are insanely good. Persona 5 is probably the best of the three, but they're all leaps and bounds above a regular ass UI. All of the tiny details tie into the theme and color (such as P5's being "villanous" in nature and red, complete with wanted posters and such).

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
To touch on your specific concerns.

Persona 3
Your characters have an END stat and it determines how long they can be in a dungeon before getting tired. Being tired is a huge penalty (they do less damage, take more damage, get critted more often, etc) but you can opt to make them push through it by not leaving the dungeon and denying thier request to leave. If you push it too hard, they will get sick for a few days and cannot be forced to enter the dungeon optionally (and everyone recovers for story missions).
Well that's certainly a bit more restrictive than in 5 wherein you can try to bum-rush on low SP so long as you're careful and don't get spotted, know the enemy's weaknesses, or were able to strike first, but that's understandable. They'd need to gate you off from Tartarus at some point. Otherwise, you could potentially go through large chunks of the dungeon that you weren't supposed to get to until later and be massively overpowered in comparison to everything else.
AI characters are in Persona 3 for PS2 only - you can direct control allies in the PSP version (and also be a girl character with almost a full set of social links), but the characters are capable of making bullshit decisions. Almost 100% of the time when they decide to melee, they decided to do so because they know it's going to crit. They very frequently get lucky on guessing weaknesses as well. Additionally, the Player Character is capable of being monstrously powerful much faster than in previous games. If you wind up with the PS2 version it isn't the big deal it sounds like.
Persona 3/Persona 4
Persona Shuffling (reshuffling skills to get the ones you want) does get to be a pain in the ass when you're trying to keep "good skills" on all of your personas. Because of the way the game works, passive skills (like "Nullify Ice") are never high priority - so if you want a persona who's weak to ice to get "Nullify Ice", it's going to take some tries. Even more if you want "Nullify Ice" and another passive.

I'd recommend you try the PSP version if you're into S.Links though (because there's two sets).
So play Persona 3 Portable because it's easily the superior version of P3. Got it.

(Thank fuck I kept my PSP then.)
The S.Links in Persona 3 do not provide any additional power to party members, only to you (and that's only through the fusion bonus, so +5 persona levels at S.Link 10). Missing some links doesn't have a negative gameplay effect at all (compared to P5/P4). The only thing you would (potentially) miss is dating some waifus and/or hot boys.
Wow, that's kinda...simple.

...I mean, I'm still gonna go through as many Social Links as I can (The Waifu Wars are a never-ending torrent that lust for new blood), but that's a bit underwhelming. Granted, it does means I can spend a bit more time focusing on my own character and it won't be as much of a prominent feature like it was in P5, and now I can feasibly ignore the optional people I despise talking to if need be (which I really like), but still. At least in P5, it incentivized you to talk with other people you normally wouldn't interact with for the sake of better moves, abilities, stat buffs and bonus, but eh. C'est la vie.
Persona UI
I could go nuts over this (more than I already have), but yeah all of the UIs are insanely good. Persona 5 is probably the best of the three, but they're all leaps and bounds above a regular ass UI. All of the tiny details tie into the theme and color (such as P5's being "villanous" in nature and red, complete with wanted posters and such).
Okay now you're speaking my language: I'm a graphic design nut and could talk about how much of a masterpiece Persona 5's UI is, but if what you're saying is true - and if the little bits and pieces from SSBU and other miscellaneous videos are anything to go by - then it sounds like I'll be joining you in discussing the UI ad nauseam.

---

One other thing, though: I'm probably going to go through P3P then work up to P4 and go from there just based on what you all have told me, but at some point I do want to try Persona 4 Golden. However, all I've been able to find as a way to play the game is to get a PSTV and play it there, or buy a Vita. And I'm gonna be honest: paying upwards of $250 on this stuff just to play one game doesn't seem like that great a deal.

So if at all possible, would it be wise to wait for Atlus to port it to other systems/storefronts (i.e. P3P/P3: FES on PSN), or is it P4G worth it to get a Vita/PSTV as well as a few other games? Or should I just emulate it because the answer is "No. God no." on both fronts?

Pargon

Engaging in cultural trench warfare
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Everspace is on sale for the Switch and I've been itching for a space combat sim. Haven't played one in a long time so I'm hoping for something that isn't control-intensive, just something I can pick up and destroy shit. Worth the ~$30?

EDIT to contribute:

So if at all possible, would it be wise to wait for Atlus to port it to other systems/storefronts (i.e. P3P/P3: FES on PSN), or is it P4G worth it to get a Vita/PSTV as well as a few other games? Or should I just emulate it because the answer is "No. God no." on both fronts?
The only good additions to gameplay added in P4G are things that make battles cooler/easier and it is by no means a difficult game outside of a handful of fights. If you do P3P first you will have no trouble and if you're worried you might anyway and aren't concerned about the struggle being part of your enjoyment just crank the difficulty down and go nuts. The extra character added in P4G is almost universally despised, adds nothing to the narrative and to get the new Golden Ending you have to slog through an extremely long and aggravating gimmick dungeon. It sucks ass. Emulate vanilla P4 and you will miss next to nothing. Supplement that with watching YouTube videos of the added cutscenes for P4G and you're all set.

Don't make the same mistake I did and shell out big to play P4G. P4 is a great game but the additions don't make it worth it at all imo. Even if you have a decent laptop you can still play vanilla P4 on the go (sorta).

Last edited:

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
Well that's certainly a bit more restrictive than in 5 wherein you can try to bum-rush on low SP so long as you're careful and don't get spotted, know the enemy's weaknesses, or were able to strike first, but that's understandable. They'd need to gate you off from Tartarus at some point. Otherwise, you could potentially go through large chunks of the dungeon that you weren't supposed to get to until later and be massively overpowered in comparison to everything else.

So play Persona 3 Portable because it's easily the superior version of P3. Got it.

(Thank fuck I kept my PSP then.)

Wow, that's kinda...simple.

...I mean, I'm still gonna go through as many Social Links as I can (The Waifu Wars are a never-ending torrent that lust for new blood), but that's a bit underwhelming. Granted, it does means I can spend a bit more time focusing on my own character and it won't be as much of a prominent feature like it was in P5, and now I can feasibly ignore the optional people I despise talking to if need be (which I really like), but still. At least in P5, it incentivized you to talk with other people you normally wouldn't interact with for the sake of better moves, abilities, stat buffs and bonus, but eh. C'est la vie.

Okay now you're speaking my language: I'm a graphic design nut and could talk about how much of a masterpiece Persona 5's UI is, but if what you're saying is true - and if the little bits and pieces from SSBU and other miscellaneous videos are anything to go by - then it sounds like I'll be joining you in discussing the UI ad nauseam.

---

One other thing, though: I'm probably going to go through P3P then work up to P4 and go from there just based on what you all have told me, but at some point I do want to try Persona 4 Golden. However, all I've been able to find as a way to play the game is to get a PSTV and play it there, or buy a Vita. And I'm gonna be honest: paying upwards of $250 on this stuff just to play one game doesn't seem like that great a deal.

It's only worth playing P4G on a PSVITA/PSTV if you happen to own a PSVITA or PSTV already, the "vanilla" version of P4 is fine. Alternatively, you may be able to get a PSTV for cheap as it was clearenced out from a large number of retailers (I believe I got one for $12) because of how limited sony made it.

It's worth noting that Persona 3 was released in 2006, so a lot of the systems (as you pointed out) feel a bit simple/old/etc. Persona 5 is the beneficiary of nearly 10 years (and 2 main games, 3 re-releases, and a number of spin offs) of refinement, so you're going to feel it a bit and maybe in ways I didn't think of.

It's also worth noting that while some people feel the P3P/PSP version is the superior version, they did cut some things out to fit it on a handheld - primairly a lot of the previously 3D environments in the "overworld" (like walking through the mall). It's also missing the "extra scenario" from the PS2 re-release, although most people would just suggest "watch that shit on youtube" because the scenario was a bit grindy.

• Informative
Reactions: OmnipotentStupidity
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino