Should Minors Have Extremely Limited / No Access to the Internet? -

Should we prohibit minors from using the internet?

• Total voters

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
Here's how I see it, the internet is one of those things where there's too many variables to worry about, and with how it's seeped into our everyday lives, it'll be inevitable that it would happen. The problem is that parents seem content on leaving them in front of screens all day instead of actually taking care of them (this also applies to TVs as well). Infants definitely don't need the internet, but as they get older, maybe a few educational sites and one or two other major sites they can use until they turn 13. And keep them away from social media until they're 16 at the very least.

Then again, I grew up in an era where the internet was still in its wild west era, so my views might be a little skewed.

eDove

Coo coo
kiwifarms.net
I think a very good fundamental of being a parent is not just to tell your kids why "doing this" is bad, but rather SHOWING why it is bad.

This is key. Children are so curious by nature and you need to provide them explanations so they don't go discovering these things for themselves. know a super "Christian" family whose parents are deep into their Church, yet none of their adult children know a thing about the Bible apart from the surface-level stuff. Just about all of the daughters got pregnant out of wedlock. The youngest one (who is old enough to drink) is a confused, suicidal, and anxious young woman. She was EXTREMELY sheltered along with her sisters. She can barely use a computer and has the maturity of a fourteen-year-old.

All these kids are screwed up 'cause their parents didn't teach them shit. They were the Biblical instruction spouted by every Church-Christian parent, but they were never given the Biblical reasoning. They were sheltered from all tech, from bad movies, bad shows, music, video games, et cetera, but it didn't matter because when they came in contact with these "bad" things, they went nuts. Sheltering your child is worthless if you aren't explaining to them why you're doing it. Don't try to protect them so hard that you won't even broach adult subjects with them.

That said, my parents didn't do a good job monitoring me and they've completely given up on my younger siblings. They're basically the opposite of sheltering and that extreme isn't better.

I want to give my kids all of the firsthand knowledge I have when I inevitably limit their internet use, so they have an idea how dangerous the internet is for a young person. Even if you come out of it, somehow, without getting flashed or molested, your perception can be totally warped and you can fall into the wrong crowd—crowds that can be much weirder and much more degenerate than what you'd find at school.

IceGray

"Dude, where's the bus?"
kiwifarms.net
This is key. Children are so curious by nature and you need to provide them explanations so they don't go discovering these things for themselves. know a super "Christian" family whose parents are deep into their Church, yet none of their adult children know a thing about the Bible apart from the surface-level stuff. Just about all of the daughters got pregnant out of wedlock. The youngest one (who is old enough to drink) is a confused, suicidal, and anxious young woman. She was EXTREMELY sheltered along with her sisters. She can barely use a computer and has the maturity of a fourteen-year-old.

A total ban is completely unfeasible for the average person, but I'm thinking discretion should be applied by the parents, guardians, elder siblings, rather than any government interference.

If I have kids I'm going to have a long talk about 4chan memes, why they tick that way, and how not to blindly swallow and parrot them. Same goes for leftist propaganda. Don't want any additional Holya Secundus coming up.

I think the bitter irony of things is that you still have to know about the shit that is spouted on the net, and yet have the discretion not to swallow said shit and whole-heartedly believe it is immutable fact.

Definitely gonna teach them how not to leave a paper trail that can lead to them being doxed. Another thing I shall teach them is how not to piss people off so badly that they try to dox said kids too.

Rupert Bear

Chemicals in the water, Turning the bears gay
kiwifarms.net
If I have kids I'm going to have a long talk about 4chan memes, why they tick that way, and how not to blindly swallow and parrot them. Same goes for leftist propaganda. Don't want any additional Holya Secundus coming up.
Any sort of labels should be avoided, really. If they take things such as "Normies" or "NPCs" too seriously they'll wind up like the Incels.co fags categorizing everyone as 'betas', 'chads', 'stacies', 'simps', etc. well into their mid 20's.

Lemmingwise

The capture of the last white wizard decolorized
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The first computer related thing I learned as a child was how to bypass parental control and expose myself to the most corruptable shit imaginable.

This catastrophe of parenting is what turns internet fuckwads into the broken people that enjoy coming to the kiwifarms.

Top Hat Mann

kiwifarms.net
The first computer related thing I learned as a child was how to bypass parental control and expose myself to the most corruptable shit imaginable, I still remember the joy on my face when I exposed my classmates to ED's Offended page, protecting your kids will only turn them into faggots, just teach them about online predators and let them jerk off to furry tranny hentai while you cry yourself to sleep.

It is what it is.
aphex twin based