Should Twitter cease to exist? -

Unassuming Local Guy

Friendly and affectionate
kiwifarms.net
We all agree that Twitter and everyone on it is harmful in an Of Mice and Men sense at best and literal demons at worst. I think we also all agree that if Twitter were burned down, something would immediately take its place, because the problem isn't the platform exists, it's that the platform enables evil.

So here's a followup question: how do you solve the case of a compromised website? Twitter selectively allows certain types of extremism, which is a problem. I doubt many people here would be okay with the idea of legally compelling a website to be politically neutral, so what other options are there? We can't just accept that Twitter is the largest propaganda wing in the history of humanity and say "oh well, I guess reality is whatever Twitter allows it to be and we'll never stop it, ever".

SickNastyBastard

The aesthetic Jake Hammer
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
We all agree that Twitter and everyone on it is harmful in an Of Mice and Men sense at best and literal demons at worst. I think we also all agree that if Twitter were burned down, something would immediately take its place, because the problem isn't the platform exists, it's that the platform enables evil.

So here's a followup question: how do you solve the case of a compromised website? Twitter selectively allows certain types of extremism, which is a problem. I doubt many people here would be okay with the idea of legally compelling a website to be politically neutral, so what other options are there? We can't just accept that Twitter is the largest propaganda wing in the history of humanity and say "oh well, I guess reality is whatever Twitter allows it to be and we'll never stop it, ever".
It may not be in writing, but they are being compelled to be political. And every free-speech forum gets stamped out quick with government backing (weird how its always right wing speech for freedom). So even telling them to be "politically neutral" means jack shit, because neutral will still keep whatever agenda is in place. Last i heard, YouTube is a money sink, so why is it still around? I bet some guvment bux given to google make up for it.
The fact that some sissy can publicly post his cock weird shit or the piss filled condoms he gets mailed is fine, but Nick Fuentes can get kicked shows the stanard across every big platorm. They're a bunch of candy ass bitches who are fine with posting pegging vids, but not tweets that hurt their feelings.

Reactions: Local Fed

Billy Rocker

Kill Count: Two autistic kids and a tranny
kiwifarms.net
Any opinion that fits into 140 characters isn't worth sharing. Nothing's driven down the quality of internet discourse more than twitter's hot takes.
Dedicated blogs in the 2000's might have been often too personal and spergy, but besides not having the social aspects of Twitter, i feel they were a superior way to voice your opinions on the internet. You could beef in more words to support your views, but also had to assume that it shouldn't be an ultralong wall of text to not bore people away, and blogging could be done quickly and easily even from your grandma's computer with a shitty keyboard. With twitter, though, it's extremely easy to bore viewers away, as most ADHD saps can't even be assed to read the second reply in a chain of tweets without hitting retweet or lashing out.

On that sense though, i feel the increasing popularity of Jewtube might also have contributed to all of this. Sharing your opinions on the internet through pure text is a dead concept nowadays outside of the likes of imageboards and forums, and maybe a witty maymay tweet. If you're not a charismatic Youtuber with noticeably high production value on your videos (and even then, already having like 15k subs), you might as well forget about getting your opinions through anyone's thick skull.

Reactions: Local Fed

McNugz

kiwifarms.net
As much as I hate the majority can’t think for themselves or Twitter, I genuinely think it’s the perfect breeding ground for watching people just to tear each other mentally apart. They are so quick to label you, and you’re so boxed in you can’t even fight your way out because all these labels are being thrown at you so viciously. I LOVE it!

Bungus Scrungus

kiwifarms.net
That's like asking; "should this tumor be removed from your body?" Of course this site should die, it's the last of the big 3 of Social Media to do so. Myspace fucking died in like, 2012, Facebook died in 2016, and god willing; Twitter will suffer the same fate in 2020. There's no way people are going to keep using the site if a massive hacking shitshow like what happened today happens after the election and everyone goes nuclear. American society will genuinely, ACTUALLY improve when this failed silicon valley abortion dies off. It's sad that that's genuinely what it would take to improve shit, but it be how it do.

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
That's like asking; "should this tumor be removed from your body?" Of course this site should die, it's the last of the big 3 of Social Media to do so. Myspace fucking died in like, 2012, Facebook died in 2016, and god willing; Twitter will suffer the same fate in 2020. There's no way people are going to keep using the site if a massive hacking shitshow like what happened today happens after the election and everyone goes nuclear. American society will genuinely, ACTUALLY improve when this failed silicon valley abortion dies off. It's sad that that's genuinely what it would take to improve shit, but it be how it do.
Problem is, when MySpace died, it died. Facebook, for some strange reason never followed suit and is just shambling along hoping someone will put it out of its misery while people keep on willingly doxing themselves and their behaviors on its platform. Which at this point feels like an impossible task.

With these recent hacks however, I can certainly see a bleak future for Twitter, especially if their admin tools end up in the wrong hands again. Hell, maybe someone who gets a hold of it can just shut the site down and encrypt the tools themselves so that it stays shut down, even if only for a few weeks. Wishful thinking? Perhaps, but a Kiwi can dream, can't he?

wokelizard

kiwifarms.net
Utter stupidity to use the power to pwn arbitrary twitter accounts on such an obvious low effort scam. Anyone with sense would have opened a robinhood account, spent 100k on out of the money Tesla calls, made a realistic looking fake website full of buzzwords, perhaps even a few fake academic papers, then tweeted a stream from Musk and various other researchers announcing and confirming a massive new breakthrough in artificial general intelligence, new Tesla patents, partnerships with OpenAI etc. Doesn't matter that it wouldn't withstand 10 minutes of scrutiny, algorithmic traders and everyone piling in to BUY would make them HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS before the world realised it was a fake.

Coelacanth

Your local living fossil.
kiwifarms.net
I don't know - on one hand it is indeed sites like Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, TikTok and so on that has become a festering breeding ground for the mean girl mentality that's infected almost all of the mainstream internet, and I so very badly wish for the days when it was only a place where nerds would really hang out and modern social media was just purged from existence.

But on the other hand a lot of lolcows' greatest and most horrifying moments have been on these sites too. Like, a lot of lolcows would probably slip off the grid if they didn't have these websites that constantly condone their behaviour and not every cow is willing to put up video logs constantly like Chris used to or Hamberlynn. I guess here it's a case of not bring able to have your cake and eating it too.

Syaoran Li

Manager of the Goth IHOP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Problem is, when MySpace died, it died. Facebook, for some strange reason never followed suit and is just shambling along hoping someone will put it out of its misery while people keep on willingly doxing themselves and their behaviors on its platform. Which at this point feels like an impossible task.

With these recent hacks however, I can certainly see a bleak future for Twitter, especially if their admin tools end up in the wrong hands again. Hell, maybe someone who gets a hold of it can just shut the site down and encrypt the tools themselves so that it stays shut down, even if only for a few weeks. Wishful thinking? Perhaps, but a Kiwi can dream, can't he?
At this point, most people stay on Facebook to keep in touch with friends and family and that's why it just shambles along.

MySpace totally died because Facebook does everything MySpace did but better and was more in depth and the Web 2.0 social media landscape was still novel back in 2008-2009

Meanwhile, MySpace was pretty much peak Web 1.5

Twitter is shit but it deserves to exist because it isn't breaking any laws
I agree in principle, but Twitter definitely needs a total change of management from the ground up in that case. Granted, if Trump wins a second term, he will ramp up the trade war against China and Silicon Valley keeps collaborating with the PRC in spite of any new sanctions, they could be potentially held liable.

You could make the argument that Twitter, Amazon, Google, Apple, AT&T, et cetera are all breaking anti-trust laws and basically implementing a de facto monopoly but that would require the second coming of Teddy Roosevelt and a populist-dominated Congress to get that to work.

The Silicon Valley monopolies and oligopolies mainly skate by thanks to pulling an "ackshually" and going above and beyond to look like they're following the letter of the law, and because they do the bare minimum to be a de jure non-monopoly, they always get away with it. Especially since the neocons and neolibs are all corporatists themselves

Seriously, we do need to more stringently enforce our anti-trust laws and embargo China harder than North Korea and Cuba combined. Those two things alone could go a long way in fixing a lot of the problems in America, although it wouldn't be a cure-all either.

-4ZURE-

Kill Every Last One of Them!
kiwifarms.net
I am going to respond with a no. Twitter just keeps the crazies in one place, making it easy for us to avoid them. With it gone, they will just disperse and ruin YouTube more, or bring Tumblr back to the dark ages after it has been slowly improving. It sounds like a good idea to nuke the site, but really, it just harms us in the long run.

At this point, most people stay on Facebook to keep in touch with friends and family and that's why it just shambles along.

MySpace totally died because Facebook does everything MySpace did but better and was more in depth and the Web 2.0 social media landscape was still novel back in 2008-2009

Meanwhile, MySpace was pretty much peak Web 1.5
FaceBook is in a unique situation. It was sort of a perfect timing site. It came in right as the internet was beginning to become more publicly accessible. The reason it still chugs is due to this as the people keeping it alive are Boomers and Gen X, both of which have never seen another social media site outside of Twitter and maybe MySpace. It is literally the Boomer epicenter of the internet, so it will die off when the older generations are gone.

The thing that might save FB in this situation is their ownership of Instagram, but I honestly have no clue how many Millennials and Zoomers use the site anymore. More seem inclined to use Snapchat or Tik Tok over it.

I so very badly wish for the days when it was only a place where nerds would really hang out and modern social media was just purged from existence.
Me too...Me too..
I have no hard feelings towards social media, the issue is that too many are on it now. I miss the sort of climbing in numbers early 2010s stage. It felt like the internet kept its identity while still being popular enough to discuss with people at school. Now it is dictated by normals who fill each site with cancel culture and numerous websites have died out to allow FaceBook and Twitter to remain unchallenged.

Tags
None