Shows you've had a falling out with - IE, they just suck now

South American Tapir

Dumb people haul trash around
kiwifarms.net
From my childhood, I stopped caring about Dexter's Laboratory once the show completely switched art styles. I thought the redesigned characters were ugly and the colors used on the show were gross-looking.

The show also became less funny and memorable. Strangely, they tried to make some "lore" for the side characters, despite the show being an episodic kid's comedy. Even as a kid, I thought that making Mandark's real name be "Susan" and making his parents hippies was stupid.

Overcast

Mmmph...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
From my childhood, I stopped caring about Dexter's Laboratory once the show completely switched art styles. I thought the redesigned characters were ugly and the colors used on the show were gross-looking.

The show also became less funny and memorable. Strangely, they tried to make some "lore" for the side characters, despite the show being an episodic kid's comedy. Even as a kid, I thought that making Mandark's real name be "Susan" and making his parents hippies was stupid.
Looking back, I just find that more sad than funny as there are actually parents like that.

• Agree
Reactions: Sir Wesley Tailpipe

PotatoSalad4711

Karen Farms gave me diabetes.
kiwifarms.net
I did a quick search for "walking dead" in this thread, and 15 posts mention it, and the thread's currently sitting at a nice and round 150 replies. So, exactly 10% of the posts in this thread mention that show alone. Even Game of Thrones only got 10 mentions. (this also includes quoted posts which i can't be bothered to manually filter out)

So, here's another Walking Dead post. I fell out during Season 5, around when Beth was in the hospital. The show started focusing so much on her just out of the blue and they couldn't have telegraphed it in a more obvious fashion that she was right about to kick the bucket. She and Daryl were suddenly close and then the show started focusing on her in this empty hospital and some expendable faggots show up to join her and oh boy when's she gonna kick the bucket

and I guess I'll never know 'cause I quit watching before she did because I just didn't care anymore and I was already like a year behind by then. I've popped by the wiki and some threads about it since just to see what's going on and who's still around and there's not a single thing about the show that makes me wanna return. There already wasn't a single episode I'd ever wanna rewatch beyond the first season, and that's how I felt before I even learned about the drama surrounding AMC pushing Frank Darabont out, and frankly I don't know how I managed to keep going that far, considering I can barely remember anything that happened after The Governor died. I was really put off with Dale being killed so early and I guess I just kinda coasted until I had enough.

I really hope YMS or someone does a review of the rest of the series so I can get a brief overview of what happens because I'm still kinda curious but don't wanna sacrifice another 50 hours of my life on this shit anymore. How the fuck does zombie stuff in general still even have gas in pop culture, I feel like it was already getting long in the tooth like 10 years ago when The Walking Dead started, but it's just kinda still going and like anything with zombies in it now doesn't even elicit a "wait, zombies? STILL?" response from me anymore, it's just so embedded in culture that telling me a thing has zombies is like hearing a thing has classic rock in it. Like, yep, zombies, classic rock, yep, those are things that are just everywhere and kind of just perpetually exist and are palatable to absolutely everyone
What’s funny is Beth died because instead of just leaving with her group, she tried to stab the cop and got fucking shot in the forehead. It’s hilarious, you really should watch that clip.

Back on topic, I forgot about The Blacklist. Probably not a good sign I forgot to even watch it. Red always cracks me up, so I may look it up now.

PreferredPenne

Easy to eat
kiwifarms.net

Then you get stuff like "A Mandark Cartoon" where everything he does is in sync with his laugh, and the one where Dexter's dad lines up a golf shot for five minutes.

• Feels
Reactions: frozenrunner

Robert James

Not your average John Smith
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Stopped watching doctor who after Matt Smith became doctor. The show was more focused on amy pond and started the trend of the female companion being the focus of the show, glad I did since I caught a few episodes later on with Clara where she didn't understand what wifi was but was able to hack into a mega corporation and the doctor drove up a building by switching off gravity. I know Dr. Who was never accurate with the science they used but you had the feeling that they had a common understanding how it works. You would never have someone punch there way through diamond in old Who but in current Who it just feels like they pull whatever buzzwords they can and make a show about that. I also hated how they made the doctor less and less compitent as the seasons went on to the point that clara or bill would do more than the doctor treating him like a kid. Matt Smith would also play him like a 10 year old on meth and that fucking bugged me, though I give Matt credit that he didn't want to come back to be yelled at by the current doctor for being a male.

South Park, I'm convinced comedy central killed Matt or Trey and replaced them with a pod person after the election. The comedy doesn't hit as hard, the social commentary is boiler plate shit, and they even cucked to Al, there won't snow on the himilaya by 2020, Gore. It honestly feels like they think they got trump elected and are now pulling their punches to prevent that from happening again. Also the episodes with tweek and craig being gay was funny at first as a commentary of fandom and virilant shippers but the charm went away when you realized they actual made them a couple, with all their jokes being about how they are gay.

Voltron, I remember the original creators talking about how they worked to make the show they remembered and not just recreate the old show. They talked about how convoluted the old shows plot was and how characters would change lions, disappear, re-apear, realize their bloodlines, and characters would have development dropped. After the first season they stated to do the same thing they berated the old show about.

It's Always Sunny lost favor with me after the episode about being black and it feels more and more that they are loosing the edge that made them funny. Also the fact they repeated the bullshit claim that we call gay people faggots because they used to be lower than the witches pisses me off, the term actually is used to describe gay men that act like old women and first appeared in a book on the gay lifestyle in new york as well as the word fairy.

Brooklyn 99, me and my sister used to watch this all the time, quit after the undercover episode where they treated abortion as a joke and peddled the old rumor about gun show loopholes. Literally the the owner says he's having a gun show when the guy can't provide I.D.

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What happened to Stranger Things in the second season really ground my gears.
Westworld went to utter shit (slightly prescient shit, but shit all the same) and that kinda broke my heart. There was so much potential there - that show gave me that really good creepy sci-fi feeling, where you're horrified and entranced simultaneously and the ideas seem so much bigger than you.

Gravityqueen4life

Red Apple yumyum
kiwifarms.net
did not drop the series but i remember OZ going down hill in quality after Augustus death. what i loved about OZ was you got to know all the characters and
when someone died, you could feel the effect of their death being felt by the other prisoners and the staff. it would change the outlook and scene of the prison.

after Augustus death, so many other characters kept on dying afterwards. some for dumb reasons, others weren't even prisoners or were only alive for a few episodes and the prison never changed. they just kept on going with the same routine and structure even as bodies kept pilling up.

Dexter. season one and two were good, season three was ok i guess? season four started off good but got worse as time went on and had a shity end. the rest of the seasons were just bad i didint even bother watching the last two episodes.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Autumnal Equinox

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
kiwifarms.net
I've recalled couple more.

Ash versus Evil dead. First two seasons were brilliant, I'd say second was better than first, but with third something went terribly wrong. I mean, yeah, show never had very strong plot, but it did enough, and in third season we get some old girlfriend of Ash in the first episode and 15 minutes later she is dead. Not even in a funny or parody way, she is just there to establish that he has a daughter and when it's done, she's no longer needed. Also, there is some new guy and to make it more obvious, that he is going to die, they should've made him wear a T-shirt with the word "expendable" on it. Also, for some fucking reason plot turned into complete drag, so I couldn't force myself to watch the third season. I wish Ash would have gotten the trilogy he deserves, but...

Prison Break. Well, can't call it falling out, because I finished original 4 seasons, but if you count that it's gotten fifth... Yeah, fuck that, it was getting worse with every new season, sometimes to the point of bringing characters back from dead with the most bullshit explanations possible and then years after they push this shit, that completely overwrites ending of the original for the old beaten "Michael, prison, run". The only interest I have in that shit is it's ratings, because really, who would've watched this?

Punisher. Well, second season of Daredevil can be called it's season 0.5, after all plotline about Frank overshadows Matt's plotline in the most of the episodes. Also, Frank had well enough character arc - killed some criminals, got in jail, killed the mastermind and decided to fight crime, right? Wrong! In his own series Frank is back to square one - has nightmares about dead family, has no weapons, haven't moved on to fighting crime and surprise-surprise, haven't killed all who were responsible. Also, now he has terrible PTSD from his time in Iraq, which he didn't have before in Daredevil. All of this for the plotlines about crazy ex-soldier, Micro's family and strong independent detective and her psychoanalytic mother, that take half of the runtime in a show about vigilante called Punisher. It was so bad, that I don't even think about checking season 2.

Edit: An of course I forgot one, that made me write the second post - Strain. First two seasons weren't great, but they were watchable and I missed scientific vampires, so I was more then ready to forgive a couple of flaws. The problem is that these flaws were only piling up with each season, reaching unbearable amounts by season three. Add to this death of one more or less likable characters and another one becoming basically a "bicycle" of the party. Also, dumb annoying kid has got even more screen time, which was a grave mistake. Add to this, that all scientific shit started to contradict itself in too many places and the plot armor has become so thick, that main characters basically become unkillable. And the last episode was so retarded, that I just sat and cried laughing, when heroes caught antagonist of the series, just to lose him 10 minutes later. I refuse to touch the last season to this day, but from what I've heard somehow they made it even dumber.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BrunoMattei

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've recalled couple more.

Ash versus Evil dead. First two seasons were brilliant, I'd say second was better than first, but with third something went terribly wrong. I mean, yeah, show never had very strong plot, but it did enough, and in third season we get some old girlfriend of Ash in the first episode and 15 minutes later she is dead. Not even in a funny or parody way, she is just there to establish that he has a daughter and when it's done, she's no longer needed. Also, there is some new guy and to make it more obvious, that he is going to die, they should've made him wear a T-shirt with the word "expendable" on it. Also, for some fucking reason plot turned into complete drag, so I couldn't force myself to watch the third season. I wish Ash would have gotten the trilogy he deserves, but...

Prison Break. Well, can't call it falling out, because I finished original 4 seasons, but if you count that it's gotten fifth... Yeah, fuck that, it was getting worse with every new season, sometimes to the point of bringing characters back from dead with the most bullshit explanations possible and then years after they push this shit, that completely overwrites ending of the original for the old beaten "Michael, prison, run". The only interest I have in that shit is it's ratings, because really, who would've watched this?

Punisher. Well, second season of Daredevil can be called it's season 0.5, after all plotline about Frank overshadows Matt's plotline in the most of the episodes. Also, Frank had well enough character arc - killed some criminals, got in jail, killed the mastermind and decided to fight crime, right? Wrong! In his own series Frank is back to square one - has nightmares about dead family, has no weapons, haven't moved on to fighting crime and surprise-surprise, haven't killed all who were responsible. Also, now he has terrible PTSD from his time in Iraq, which he didn't have before in Daredevil. All of this for the plotlines about crazy ex-soldier, Micro's family and strong independent detective and her psychoanalytic mother, that take half of the runtime in a show about vigilante called Punisher. It was so bad, that I don't even think about checking season 2.
I mostly agree. I loved The Punisher show. But you'll really, really hate season 2. Season 2 pissed me off but there was enough good about it to make up for it.

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
kiwifarms.net
I mostly agree. I loved The Punisher show. But you'll really, really hate season 2. Season 2 pissed me off but there was enough good about it to make up for it.
I think, the design of Puzzle, who has pussiest scars for a man, who got mirror trashed with his face, is enough to drive me away.

Guts Gets Some

kiwifarms.net
That's completely understandable. It literally DID become a totally different show. New writers and people behind it. And they were some of the least talented people they could've gotten.

Quoookie

kiwifarms.net
Enjoyed the first 3 seasons of Animal Kingdom than this fourth season which I just finished watching was so disappointing. So much focus on Smurf and nowhere enough on the others. I didn't care about her backstory either. Everyone else was good but I thought there would be so much more for their characters to do. Season Finale I was like "yeah so it finally happened...and?" Just seen it coming and didn't care that unfolded. I hope they bounce back from this whenever the new season comes or I just wont tune in anymore. The cast always delivers just need better material and stories.

Reactions: Curedroast

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
Edit: An of course I forgot one, that made me write the second post - Strain. First two seasons weren't great, but they were watchable and I missed scientific vampires, so I was more then ready to forgive a couple of flaws. The problem is that these flaws were only piling up with each season, reaching unbearable amounts by season three. Add to this death of one more or less likable characters and another one becoming basically a "bicycle" of the party. Also, dumb annoying kid has got even more screen time, which was a grave mistake. Add to this, that all scientific shit started to contradict itself in too many places and the plot armor has become so thick, that main characters basically become unkillable. And the last episode was so retarded, that I just sat and cried laughing, when heroes caught antagonist of the series, just to lose him 10 minutes later. I refuse to touch the last season to this day, but from what I've heard somehow they made it even dumber.
God, you just reminded me of that absolute train wreck of a show. I remember thinking from the very first episode that the dialogue was kind of bad, but like you I stuck with it because I thought it was an interesting concept and I’m a sucker for Nazi occultist fiction. There were definitely some good ideas and moments here and there (the old Jewish guy’s last episode where he kills the head Nazi was fuckin’ awesome, for one) but it’s just dragged down by so, so much bad writing, plot holes, and shit acting.

Like, that big deal they made about the Master (...was that his name? I really don’t care) being unable to be destroyed by conventional weapons? All pointless, they quite literally fucking nuke him. While the show was never really that great to begin with, I think it REALLY fell apart after the vampires successfully take over the world and the whole story became a completely blatant Nazi allegory with zero nuance.

Another show that I used to like that I just haven’t bothered finishing was Fringe. I think it was pretty solid all-around for most of its run with decent writing and characters, but the last season does a timeskip into a bad future with the MC’s being “resurrected” from stasis to try and save the world through... I think time travel? As I said I never finished the season. It’s not like it was terrible or anything, but it was so far removed from the other seasons in tone and setting that I just could not get invested and stopped watching halfway through.

Coincidentally it has an INCREDIBLY similar plot to the season of Agents of Shield that got me to drop the show.

While I watched Hannibal all the way through I did not like the way the third season panned out and preferred it when it was a killer-of-the-week show with an overarching plot. Season 3 went up it’s own ass with any semblance of realism being thrown out for weird “artsy” shots, a villain that was not nearly interesting enough to justify a whole season to himself, and an utterly ridiculous ending. At least I don’t have to worry about ignoring it because it’s not like Season 4 will ever actually get made.

Last edited:

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
kiwifarms.net
Like, that big deal they made about the Master (...was that his name? I really don’t care) being unable to be destroyed by conventional weapons? All pointless, they quite literally fucking nuke him.
Oh God, is this really how he died? I remember, how they cut off his head, he then returned through worm and they were like "well, can't kill him with any weapon now, better catch him and imprison", and my thought was "just kill the fucking worm, God dammit". Also, I like how white vampire came later, who was basically a rip-off of Blade and Del Toro was the director of second movie, where vampires have split jaws and bite people with mutated tongues... Yeah.

Reactions: Gar For Archer

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
Oh God, is this really how he died? I remember, how they cut off his head, he then returned through worm and they were like "well, can't kill him with any weapon now, better catch him and imprison", and my thought was "just kill the fucking worm, God dammit". Also, I like how white vampire came later, who was basically a rip-off of Blade and Del Toro was the director of second movie, where vampires have split jaws and bite people with mutated tongues... Yeah.
It’s actually way stupider than “they nuked him” makes it sound. I refuse to google the plot, so I’ll recount it to the best of my ability:

Basically Cory Stoll’s son (...Zach?) betrays humanity as a “fuck you, dad!” moment and I think might be tangentially responsible for the vampires taking over in the first place. In the finale, they trap the vampire and his son underground and the MC descends with a suitcase nuke to blow everything to high heaven but gets taken over by the Master, who then hugs his son and tells him that they’ll rule the world together or something, but while he’s doing that the son reaches behind his back and sets off the nuke.

Being on the subreddit while the last season was going down was fucking hilarious because by that point everyone had given up all hope that the show would have a single redeeming quality and was pretty much just a “fuck Zach” circlejerk.

.... and yeah, wow, thanks for reminding me how much of a fucking wasted character the “good vampire” was. By the end of it there was literally no point for him to exist at all, considering he pretty much gets one-shot by the Master and has nothing at all to show for it.

• Informative
Reactions: JuanButNotForgotten

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
kiwifarms.net
By the end of it there was literally no point for him to exist at all, considering he pretty much gets one-shot by the Master and has nothing at all to show for it.
That's sad. Despite being a rip-off he still was relatively cool.

Being on the subreddit while the last season was going down was fucking hilarious because by that point everyone had given up all hope that the show would have a single redeeming quality and was pretty much just a “fuck Zach” circlejerk.
Too bad, that his dad was equally retarded. Not like everyone else there were smart, but still. Also, I don't know why, but I hated that hacker bitch more. Not only she played big part in helping vampires to take over city, she is also stupid whore and as annoying as Zack.

gets taken over by the Master, who then hugs his son and tells him that they’ll rule the world together or something, but while he’s doing that the son reaches behind his back and sets off the nuke.
So basically, he couldn't be Master's lackey, because now he looked like his father? Talk about daddy issues.

My favorite thing is how in third season it was revealed, that vampires basically dead brains + worms, that are controlled by electromagnetic waves. You know, even good old vampires, that are afraid of crosses and garlic, are more realistic. Also, begs the question how good vampire has any brain functions, if he has dead brain with worms inside, that don't receive any commands from Master.

While I watched Hannibal all the way through I did not like the way the third season panned out and preferred it when it was a killer-of-the-week show with an overarching plot. Season 3 went up it’s own ass with any semblance of realism being thrown out for weird “artsy” shots, a villain that was not nearly interesting enough to justify a whole season to himself, and an utterly ridiculous ending. At least I don’t have to worry about ignoring it because it’s not like Season 4 will ever actually get made
Actually, had a falling out with it too, but after season two. The whole "killer per episode" format wasn't good for me, because rarely show had any interesting killers and when it did, they were quickly gone. Also, the necessity to make a new mind boggling killer made them quickly to run out of ideas and later it was obvious that they are trying too hard. Add that because of this it looked like Baltimore is flooded with serial killers of the most sophisticated kind, like it's some Mecca for maniacs or something. Also, what they'd done to the characters of Graham and Lecter... First originally was just a very good profiler, who could understand how killers think, here he is some half schizophrenic, half medium, who can talk to dead people. Second was just smart and careful, here he is some demigod, who can put anything anywhere in the shortest amount of time, kill anyone without a single trace and basically alter people's minds and memories. When in second season turned out, that not only that agent chick is alive, but the girl from the first episode too and he kept them both somewhere all this time, I just gave up, so stupid that was.

Last edited:

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Are there any recent TV shows at all that didn't go to absolute shit before ending (that don't involve Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould)?

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: BrunoMattei
Tags
None