Shows you've had a falling out with - IE, they just suck now

Tor Lugosi

The Holy One of Israel
kiwifarms.net
The Sinner.

Episode one had a surreal, almost gothic horror feel to it that really pulled me in. Over the course of the season it quickly shed every element that I liked until the finale was basically an episode of Law & Order: SVU. I didn't bother with the show after that. It's on its third season now with the only thing linking the seasons being the main detective but I found him to be the least interesting part of season one, so I haven't had any reason to check out seasons two and three.

Robert James

Not your average John Smith
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

elzaw

kiwifarms.net
American Gods has been brought up so I'm throwing Good Omens here too.
It's extremely overrated and suffers from unnecessary woke-washing and shipping bait. While Gaiman said it was meant to be more of a reimagining but he also said he wanted to stay close to Terry's vision, so which is that then?
It's enjoyable on its own (the casting is generally good and everything involving archangel Gabriel is gold) but it's not as interesting as it could have been. The book is better

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
kiwifarms.net
Can't say I've already had falling out with it, but I will likely have.

Better call Saul was never as thrilling as Breaking Bad, but with each season it's getting progressively more and more boring, so much that I'm on season 4 and I really don't care about the protagonist, who went from being a somewhat likeable douchebag to being just an asshole, who got what he deserved in the end. Also, it is prequel, so you can't really be afraid for it's characters. They won't die, so they could appear in Breaking Bad, therefore any scene where they are at gunpoint is just stupid. I understand, if it was 2 or 3 seasons, that would wrap up some plot lines and go into the plot of Breaking Bad, but for God's sake, it's season 4 and it's nowhere near this.

Arthur Morgan

kiwifarms.net
Ended up dropping Blacklist.

For a change of pace, I'm going to go into ones that I dropped not because I hated them, but because I just grew out of them or lost interest.

Doctor Who - David Tennant's goodbye seemed a little underwhelming compared to the end of season 4, and while I enjoyed Matt Smith's first season, the second was way too convoluted and full of itself. Life got in the way when his third season ran and I just never got back to it because I didn't care enough to.

Sherlock - Took way too long between seasons for me to keep caring.

Law & Order:
Original Series - Lenny leaving. I watched some of the old episodes and found the actors boring until Jerry Orbach came in and gave me someone I could give a shit about. I gave the show about a season or two after he left out of loyalty but then realised I didn't care enough.

SVU - Used to be my favourite since it did a better job of developing the main cast. Not really sure why I dropped it, just one day realised a new episode was on and I didn't care.

Criminal Intent - Logan's return. Now that could have been interesting because I thought the episodes where Goren and Logan worked together made for a good dynamic. But unfortunately they kept the dynamic of the male lead being the star and his female partner being more of a sounding board than a real investigator. And Chris Noth just could not carry the show.

How I Met Your Mother - Watched the first four or five seasons when it was on cable and then didn't care when the new episodes came on. My dad still watched it when he and my mother were still together so I caught bits here and there and would sometimes sit down to watch it if he had it on, but had no interest in watching it by myself. I did watch the final episode though and yeah, that was shit.

Dexter - I actually never finished this one. After the end of season four, I think it was (When he has the baby and John Cleese kills his wife) I was still into it, but then when season five came out I just never got around to it. And apparently that was the best thing to do.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Dexter - I actually never finished this one. After the end of season four, I think it was (When he has the baby and John Cleese kills his wife) I was still into it, but then when season five came out I just never got around to it. And apparently that was the best thing to do.
This one was really disappointing to me as it started so strong.

I really think TV shows shouldn't just be allowed to linger on forever. TV shows that never turn to shit barely exist at all any more.

In police procedurals, Criminal Minds also started strong, although frankly the first season was its strongest. I watched this probably longer than I should have but the breaking point was Thomas Gibson leaving over some stupid altercation. The show was dead to me at that point.

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
House of Cards - After kevin spacy left it just became shit. 3rd season was the pinnacle and I stopped

WestWorld - season 3 became the Season of Delores God Empress and it became a slog to watch through episode 1. Plus no western so MEH

Altered Carbon. First series was amazing.. second series I didn't even get through the first episode it was so boring. Something happened to make it suck, I'm not sure what but none of the thrill or joy was there.
Christ I got to episode 4 and thought "Who are these people? Why do I care? Why is Falcon here as he sucks as an actor? Why is everyone so angry? Why do all the sets look like they drug them out from storage from Season 1 and reused them? Why am I wasting my time with this show?"

I couldn't believe they managed to make Eclipse Phase into a show and then make it fucking uninteresting. Po was the only likeable character upto episode 4 and that's when Falcon throws a temper tantrum at him and Po is replaced by Strong Woman AI.

Fuck you Netflix.

Last edited:

Mel Feasance

Going east, to toil.
kiwifarms.net
did not drop the series but i remember OZ going down hill in quality after Augustus death. what i loved about OZ was you got to know all the characters and
when someone died, you could feel the effect of their death being felt by the other prisoners and the staff. it would change the outlook and scene of the prison.

after Augustus death, so many other characters kept on dying afterwards. some for dumb reasons, others weren't even prisoners or were only alive for a few episodes and the prison never changed. they just kept on going with the same routine and structure even as bodies kept pilling up.

Dexter. season one and two were good, season three was ok i guess? season four started off good but got worse as time went on and had a shity end. the rest of the seasons were just bad i didint even bother watching the last two episodes.
Oz may be my favorite show of all time. And you're absolutely correct about the quality tanking once Augustus died.

I'd also argue the show began it's dip in quality with introduction of the Jeremiah Cloutier character.

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
In police procedurals, Criminal Minds also started strong, although frankly the first season was its strongest. I watched this probably longer than I should have but the breaking point was Thomas Gibson leaving over some stupid altercation. The show was dead to me at that point.
My mom, sister, and I used to love Criminal Minds, but hadn't watched in years. When the last season was announced my mom and sister decided they wanted to see how it ends, and I tagged along.

All the new people were shit actors, and the remaining old guard had obviously stopped caring years ago. It was pretty awful, and the best thing I can say about it is that it was a very short season. Luckily there are still reruns of the early seasons on TV.

JuanButNotForgotten

Friendly Mexican Ghost
kiwifarms.net
Can't say I've already had falling out with it, but I will likely have.

Better call Saul was never as thrilling as Breaking Bad, but with each season it's getting progressively more and more boring, so much that I'm on season 4 and I really don't care about the protagonist, who went from being a somewhat likeable douchebag to being just an asshole, who got what he deserved in the end. Also, it is prequel, so you can't really be afraid for it's characters. They won't die, so they could appear in Breaking Bad, therefore any scene where they are at gunpoint is just stupid. I understand, if it was 2 or 3 seasons, that would wrap up some plot lines and go into the plot of Breaking Bad, but for God's sake, it's season 4 and it's nowhere near this.
Yep, just like I thought - I've finished season 4 and there was almost fuck all I wanted to know. Some new characters, who are nowhere to be seen in the Breaking Bad, almost entire season added nothing new to the existing characters and guess what - season 5 wasn't the final one, so I don't care anymore, even if they are going to show if Saul got caught in the end or not.

Oats12345

kiwifarms.net
I'll take your word for it. Carl being killed off was the last straw for me. I hear people saying Kang is doing a great job, and it means absolutely nothing to me.
Carl deserved to die. Becuase he became a annoying character, who kept getting people killed

Sorry to double post.

But this is way i been watching older shows from the 80s, 90s and 2000s. I watch some new shows, but not alot.
Mostly because after 2016 people in Hollywood went full SJW, after their minds were destroyed by Trump.

Coffee Shits

Hardcore
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Veep, a show that gracefully walked the tightrope of satirizing American politics without getting political, was excellent for a long time, right up until the final seven episodes. That's when the writers started getting antsy rushing to tie up every single loose end, and well, gravity won in this tortured metaphor.

The biggest problem is that the main character, one-time VP and accidental President Selena Meyer was never supposed to be successful, and that's why she was funny: constantly fighting against a system that was doing its damnedest to keep her overconfident and mostly incompetent hands away from the levers of power. But that's another tightrope the writers needed to balance: the character needs an arc, the character needs to grow. And in politics, that's moving upward. So the final season was about her finally doing so, and it unwinds everything that's likable or even believable about her character, her situation, and everyone around her.

By ensuring that she actually becomes President (for the second time) they have to slam the most absurd and unbelievable strokes of luck and character retcons and chalk them up to everyone and the world around them going mad. It comes off as weak writing and doesn't really resolve anything - you can see it from a mile away and yet it all feels forced and rushed.

Inflatable Julay

I have to stand up to play the git-tar
kiwifarms.net
I stopped watching Always Sunny after season 10 when it got meta and self referential. Now that I think about it that's kind of the kiss of death for tv shows. I don't think I've ever seen a show survive after going meta.
I've been rewatching the recent seasons and they're not as bad as I thought on the first viewing. Maybe I was just watching too much of it and needed a break. Though I really like the meta humor, so we probably get different things out of the show.

frozenrunner

Please do not hoard limited salt supplies.
kiwifarms.net
I remember thinking the first episode of the fifth season (or the first episode after he finds out his wife is dead, whichever season that is) was the best episode of the show, period. Really interesting character stuff in that one, and because it was at the beginning of the season, it could essentially ignore overarching plot.

The show is absolutely not worth finishing, though. I was on the edge of quitting it the entire time I was watching it, and the ending actually angered me... even though I had heard it was supposed to be terrible and unpopular.

It was John Lithgow, by the way :story:

Sinners Sandwich

Eid Htrad Redav Eid !
kiwifarms.net
The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

I liked first Season (tho I skipped forward when the annoying blm chick and the tranny were on screen) but then it got so dumb I noped out.

But I must say that in this series it makes sense for so many characters to be non-straight because they are literally Satan worshipping hedonists. I liked this appproach. But the troon and the blm fatty were stupid from the start.

Thank god (heh) it's cancelled

Starscreams Cape

Read my posts in his voice
kiwifarms.net
I was looking forward so much to Westworld S2. The first episode was a gutpunch. Then after the second episode I said "oh, THAT'S what this is all about...." and I was out.

I don't really watch Dr Who anymore. I'd like to say it was due to the cringy Jodie Whittaker but I sort of lost interest after Capaldi's 2nd season.

I couldn't have a proper falling out with Game of Thrones because, while it was definitely losing quality after S5, the actual, murderous junk kick was in the very final season.

Altered Carbon S1 was great. I got 15 minutes into the new season, reflected on my experience with Westworld, and very quickly shut it off.

Oddly, I had a falling out with MST3K right after Joel left. I didn't give Mike a chance early on. Then I started watching the 2nd season of the Scifi run and realized that I liked him better than Joel. The episodes were funnier after being released from the seeming constraints of esoteric references by Joel and Frank to odd shows nobody watched from the 1960's. Not that I hated Joel even after realizing this, as I believe his intentions were more or less pure. But those types of references were only funny in the smug, early days of "there's this new show that makes references only smart people get!!" *

* See Rick and Morty

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Pokemonquistador2
I had recent fallout with two shows: The Prodigal Son and The Alienist.

Prodigal Son is basically a non-artsy version of Hannibal if Hannibal was the father of Will Graham. The season long arc is the main character looking for the last victim/potential survivor of his father, so far so good. In the last episode it turns out that the father let the victim go because she had information about the season 1 big bad guy, who was coincidentally pulled out from the writer's ass fore the last few episodes because even an episodic procedural needs a finale. And the information? Nothing, she had nothing, it was all just a bluff. Also the main character's completely sane sister slits the throat of the aforementioned big bad guy.

The Alienist is a Victorian-era show set in New York where a psychiatrist, a journalist and a police secretary hunt a serial killer. The show looks very nice and a lot of emphasis is put on the "I need to get into the mind of the killer". In the last episode the group catches up with the killer and after a fight the psychiatrist ends up on top of a water reservoir with the dying killer. The hero then asks the killer why he killed people upon which the killer promptly dies without giving an answer. I tried telling my massive blue balls that it's about "oh we'll never truly know why serial killers kill, that's the message" but my balls remained blue for a while.

• Feels
Reactions: frozenrunner
Tags
None