Silicon Graphics Thread - SGI

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
The first time I experienced good VR was on the Onyx2, it looks like that except it's black. The VR was cool, it had 6DOF and room-tracking.

IIRC the fat Playstation 2 case design was based on a Silicon Graphics machine. That was a pretty dope design.
The PS2 took its design from the Atari Falcon microbox prototype, down to having a stand to keep it upright and reduce the footprint of the machine.
psfalcon.png

The microbox was probably inspired by the Sharp x68000.
sharpx68k.jpg

ShortBusDriver

kiwifarms.net
The first time I experienced good VR was on the Onyx2, it looks like that except it's black. The VR was cool, it had 6DOF and room-tracking.

The PS2 took its design from the Atari Falcon microbox prototype, down to having a stand to keep it upright and reduce the footprint of the machine.
View attachment 1174773

The microbox was probably inspired by the Sharp x68000.
View attachment 1174779
Ok now I feel super stupid, I bought a PS2 at launch and had no idea it stood up on it's side.

• Feels
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Ok now I feel super stupid, I bought a PS2 at launch and had no idea it stood up on it's side.
They sold an official stand to add stability, making it even more like a microbox.

ps2stand.jpg

It pleases me that the stand uses the same gradient as the PS2 logo.

I remember when movie critics claimed that the GUI used in Jurassic Park was apparently not real and that Stephen Spielberg is a boomer. Boy would I laugh if they actually saw the OS in action lmao.
It wasn't really an OS, it just ran in a window, but it was included in Irix and could be found in the folder with the other weird tech demos they shipped.

Robert Sanvagene

Pretend spergs are bullshit autists
kiwifarms.net
Even ignoring the pure grunt contained within, SGI made some sexy boxes back in the day ... which is why I find it a bit odd that SGI's keyboards and monitors had such a strong early '90s Taiwanese IBM-PC clone vibe. 🤔

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
What file manager is "really an OS"?
Are you confusing OS and shell?
It was a response to his comment and I'm so used to people calling it an operating system. I also blanked on wtf a file manager was called, sorry about that.

Even ignoring the pure grunt contained within, SGI made some sexy boxes back in the day ... which is why I find it a bit odd that SGI's keyboards and monitors had such a strong early '90s Taiwanese IBM-PC clone vibe. 🤔
The monitors and keyboards had some effort to spice up their look, there were small dots in the plastic that made it look like the linoleum floor of a public bathroom (edit: ) on a ferry.
sgikeyboard.jpg

edit: the Indy had the same thing going, look at the picture in the op, but it was more pronounced because it had some color backing it.

Last edited:

Cedric_Eff

No secret, it's the meat. Don't skimp on the meat.
kiwifarms.net
They sold an official stand to add stability, making it even more like a microbox.

View attachment 1179524
It pleases me that the stand uses the same gradient as the PS2 logo.

It wasn't really an OS, it just ran in a window, but it was included in Irix and could be found in the folder with the other weird tech demos they shipped.
Point is, movie critics were dumbasses and didn’t know Jackshit about SGI’s file manager. They thought it was some stereotype Hollywood shit.

Sammy

Exhibits no Islamic behavior once given McNuggets
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's one of my dreams as a digital artyfarty boy to own a working SGI machine someday, mad bonus points if it's not wiped and has some devkit and 3d modeling software still in it.

Tags
None