Simpsons Responds to Apu Controversy - Update: Sped gets Apu Banned from Simpson’s

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

Which character will be axed next for being problematic?

• BumbleBee Man

Votes: 33 71.7%
  • The Sea Captain

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Cletus

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Dr. nick

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Dr. Hibbert

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Smithers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nets_awesome

You're as dense as usual... But, I don't blame you
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
http://www.ladbible.com/news/film-a...-to-hit-back-at-offended-millennials-20180409

The episode is called "No Good Read Goes Unpunished" and seemed to take a swipe at the film The Problem with Apu that was released last year.

Comedian Hari Kondabolu's film argued that Apu Nahasapeemapetilon - Springfield's Indian shop owner - is an example of a tired stereotype that has worked its way deep into modern society's conscience.

The film featured Aziz Ansari, Whoopi Goldberg, and Kal Penn and, at the time of its release Hank Azaria - the white actor who plays Apu, said: "I think the documentary made some really interesting points and gave us a lot of things to think about and we really are thinking about it,

"Definitely anybody that was hurt or offended by it, or by any character or vocal performance, it's really upsetting that it was offensive or hurtful to anybody."

Last night, however, they were in less apologetic mood.

7ea378e65acb6443ebc610c1364f49f5.png

Credit: TruTV

Marge Simpson was shocked to discover the number of stereotypes in a book that she was reading, so set out to re-write it for 2018.

However, in rewriting it she discovered that she saps most of what was good about the book from it.

She then said, "What am I supposed to do?" before Lisa Simpson broke the fourth wall and said: "Something that started decades ago and was applauded and inoffensive, is now politically incorrect. What can you do?"

A photo of Apu then appeared in the shot with the caption: "Don't have a cow" before Marge said: "Some things will be dealt with at a later date" and Lisa added: "If at all".

This is a clear dig at the outrage that some people expressed after the Apu film was released.

Kondabolu was - perhaps understandably - quite annoyed by this jibe. He tweeted: "Wow. 'Politically Incorrect?' That's the takeaway from my movie & the discussion it sparked? Man, I really loved this show. This is sad."

He followed that tweet up with another: "In 'The Problem with Apu', I used Apu & The Simpsons as an entry point into a larger conversation about the representation of marginalized groups & why this is important.

"The Simpsons response tonight is not a jab at me, but at what many of us consider progress."

upload_2018-4-9_7-20-38.jpeg

_Wice

kiwifarms.net
Way to entirely miss the point of what they’re saying. You’re really encouraging a thought-provoking discussion here.
Also again, it’s almost like nearly every show in the nineties didn’t have a character who was a stereotype of Chinese/Indian store owners. And those stereotypes have truth to them. Who would’ve thought?

trueandhonestfan

I'll drink my agua to that!
kiwifarms.net
Nah I still wouldn’t.

It’s a fact many Indians immigrate here, start small businesses, and have funny names. If he’s butt mad there isn’t an equal jab at white people, he should look no further than Homer Simpson.
I don't get why people are so offended by Apu. He seems to be well liked by other characters who don't seem to mind his gross store very much and works very hard to support his wife and his several (like a dozen) children. People could be complaining about him calling lazy, smelling bad, cheap, etc. but I don't remember seeing something like that (granted the Simpsons has like 600 episodes and I'm not the most frequent viewer). The latter description would be my experience with some convenience stores owned by immigrants where I live.

Anybody offended by Apu should be grateful that The Simpsons doesn't have a portrayal of creepy Indian guys you see a lot online and occasionally in person.

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
Hari does a great job representing Hindus as whiny bitches... That is what he's trying to do right?
He did a great job if that was the intent.

But I don't think it was...

Toothless in comparison to the old seasons, maybe. But in an era where they're still trying to be hip with the kids, this is actually a pretty poignant message. Makes you wonder what they feel about when they mocked the university professors a few scenes later.

Salt Water Taffy

Only bad witches are ugly.
kiwifarms.net
Problem is, comedy is and always has been built around stereotypes and caricatures. You look back at the very first formal comedic plays from ancient Greece and Rome and you'll see they're full of stereotypes and caricatures; Roman comedy is the origin for a lot of our lasting archetypes like the miserly rich man and the fun-hating old men, no one complained (or has complained for the past 2000 years) that not all rich people are misers. The stereotypes that are in vogue just change from generation to generation. Trying to write something comedic that's completely devoid of stereotypes of any kind is like trying to write a story completely devoid of clichés. It's just not possible.

trueandhonestfan

I'll drink my agua to that!
kiwifarms.net
Making a movie to bitch about how a (certain type of) character could be seen as racist and acting like this is some big probem and social injustice is different from a parody or joke. You're basically calling people out at that point. I'm unfamiliar with Moviebob but I can already tell he's probably some mediocre internet wannabe critic.

It's not like The Simpsons is saying "look how offended these thin skinned rētards are" either. They're just referencing the fact that people are suddenly getting upset, and that they have no intention of changing anything.
Wasn’t this whole Apu controversy at least a couple months ago?
Making an episode of The Simpsons takes like 9 months so expect references and rebuttals to things to be very out of date.

Last edited: