Simpsons Responds to Apu Controversy - Update: Sped gets Apu Banned from Simpson’s

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

Which character will be axed next for being problematic?

• BumbleBee Man

Votes: 33 71.7%
  • The Sea Captain

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Cletus

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Dr. nick

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Dr. Hibbert

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Smithers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ccoinhoarder

CRY XIRSELF TO ASH
kiwifarms.net
tfw the indian aristocracy, who has enjoyed a system of caste-based privileged and religious-based oppression of the plebes for years, are so fragile yet well connected that their childhood bullying gets a documentary on national television scapegoating it on a side character, meanwhile there's an entire underclass of people who are religiously obligated to pick up the feces of the caste of shithead documentary people.

such is life in 21st century parody world

Bread Fetishist

Public enemy to bakers everywhere
kiwifarms.net
This is a really good update to the story, thanks for remembering the May thread.

Some butthurt from a different Hari that famous Hari retweeted:
View attachment 579526
View attachment 579527
The worst kind of hypocrite, "This isn't what we wanted! Also we weren't even watching, and our controversy is the only reason Simpsons are even relevant so why aren't we getting what we wanted?!"

View attachment 579529

So, you wanted them to make Apu a well-rounded character, even though, if you actually bothered to look beyond the surface of his character, you would find that he is more fleshed-out than most of the other side characters. Seriously, just fuck off.
Also, it's hilarious that he's calling the Simpsons writers snowflakes. How ironic.

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net
tfw the indian aristocracy, who has enjoyed a system of caste-based privileged and religious-based oppression of the plebes for years, are so fragile yet well connected that their childhood bullying gets a documentary on national television scapegoating it on a side character, meanwhile there's an entire underclass of people who are religiously obligated to pick up the feces of the caste of shithead documentary people.

such is life in 21st century parody world

Do we have any hard evidence that Hari is a Brahmin? Would be nice to call him out on privilege if he's actually got a gold star on his permanent record somewhere.

The Gangster Computer

A spooky skeleton computer prepared for the future
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I wonder if they'll also ban or edit reruns featuring Apu? Especially that one episode that really poked fun at India and Hindu culture.
687016b910f28b85e5ad40eaeb76b623abe68bcf6ee9bee5b0ec66ffbdb9ca7b.jpg

Reruns of the good episodes are all modern Simpsons has going for it and a lot of them feature Apu, so I guess that's that.

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-46017390

Al Jean said Adi is full of shit. Adi responded like an entitled jackass.

Adi Streetshitter said:
I wish you well too. Let’s work towards common ground. Ignoring only fans the flames. The world is polarized & getting more so, and the onus is on us to bring people together. Engage in a constructive way and this matter will go to bed. I see you, now I’m asking you to see me.

Not to detract too much from the topic, but I was reading about this on reddit and was wondering what's up with Indians referring to themselves as "brown men"?

Untitled1.png
Untitled2.png
Untitled3.png
Untitled4.png

Last edited:

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net
Story gets a new twist: http://archive.md/ETvhT
The Simpsons producer responds to claims Apu is leaving

One of the original writers of The Simpsons has responded to claims that Apu will be written out of the show.
Last week, producer and Youtuber Adi Shankar claimed that The Simpsons plans to "drop the Apu character altogether".

But Al Jean, who is an executive producer, has responded on Twitter saying that Adi Shankar "does not speak for our show".

Apu has become controversial recently, with some people arguing that he is an Indian stereotype.

Adi Shankar, who is a producer on the Netflix show Castlevania, told IndieWirethat he'd been told Apu's days on the show were numbered.

He claimed to have got the news from two people who work on the show and a third person who works with Simpsons creator Matt Groening.

Simpsons executive producer Al Jean, who has been there since the show started way back in 1989, tweeted: "Adi Shankar is not a producer on the Simpsons. I wish him the very best but he does not speak for our show."

Al Jean didn't say whether or not Apu would be staying in the show or not.

upload_2018-10-29_15-31-26.png

upload_2018-10-29_15-31-49.png

Earlier this year, Adi Shankar launched a competition to write a script which "in a clever way subverts [Apu], pivots him, writes him out, or evolves him", which he argued would solve the "Apu problem".

He said he would make the episode on his Youtube channel, which makes parodies and fan films.

There has been a discussion about Apu since Indian-American comedian Hari Kondabolu released a documentary called The Problem with Apu last year.

He said that the stereotypical portrayal of Apu meant people made fun of him.

"After a while, you'd watch The Simpsons on a Sunday and you'd get a sense of how you'd be made fun of at school on Monday, based on what Apu did in the latest episode," Hari Kondabolu told the BBC last year.

"Apu was the only Indian we had on TV at all so I was happy for any representation as a kid.

"And of course he's funny, but that doesn't mean this representation is accurate or right."

The Simpsons responded to the controversy in an episode earlier this year, whichdivided audiences.

Newsbeat has contacted Fox TV for comment.

Follow Newsbeat on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.

Listen to Newsbeat live at 12:45 and 17:45 every weekday on BBC Radio 1 and 1Xtra - if you miss us you can listen back here.

The Gangster Computer

A spooky skeleton computer prepared for the future
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Story gets a new twist: http://archive.md/ETvhT
Figures Adi Shacunt is a producer on a fucking netflix show...
If Al Jean puts forward an episode ripping the shit out of this whole thing successfully, I will stop saying The Simpsons sucks for a week.
That would be nice, but considering the state of modern Simpsons, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't do anything and just write off Apu.

Next Task

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Story gets a new twist

Yeah, the suggestion is that this Ari guy who has been saying Apu is getting written off The Simpsons only did so because he has a spec script he wants to use as a parody/try and force The Simpsons to use to 'deepen' Apu. Making all those claims that they didn't want the show to get rid of Apu or try and force them into following their whims mighty disingenuous.

But of course the SJWs are now out in force, attacking not only the producers but the old, classic episodes for being 'highly problematic'. Because a thing can't become worse, it can only have always been bad in their mind.

I'd care more about what they were doing with Apu if I'd watched the show in the last fifteen years, but other than the movie I haven't. But in general I just want more people to remember 'get woke, go broke', and that nothing will ever, ever be good enough for these complainers, who are generally not even the consumers of the product in the first place.

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net

Dolphin Lundgren

One suave fucker.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
no man, i want a stupid and convoluted plot with homer going back in time
and accidentally removing india from the history of the world
ensuring all indians were never born

I'll take either one. This thing is so moronic that I wish they'd recreate the Poochie exit along with the crappy way he leaves the screen. If they're going to go along with something stupid they may as well make a stupid scene.

Chester Rigby

Eventually relevant. Trust me.
kiwifarms.net
Bumblebee Guy is specifically a parody of the famous Mexican television show called "Chesperito" (CP for short) that used a lot of wacky slapstick type humor. It's a good show, very silly.
Right! Bumblebee Man works at Channel "Ocho" ("eight", in spanish), just like one of the most famous characters of Mexican pop culture:
Also, I find this very fitting:
FB_IMG_1540910634097.jpg