Six Days in Fallujah - A military shooter about a real battle in the Iraq War, back from the dead and more controversial than ever

Win98SE

kiwifarms.net
I should have phrased it better. He is barley a gamedev. When was the latest time he created a game?
He fucked up his reputation creating a game launcher that let you play a new, unique game every day for a year. The problem is he didn't actually make the games themselves but instead tricked hundreds of indie developers into making games for it only to tell them on fucking release day that they wouldn't be receiving credit for their work because it wasn't his "vision" for them to be credited until after the year was up. The exception to this was a credit for his studio which made it look like all the games were developed by him. Some developers got so pissed they leaked their games on day 1 and then started talking shit about him on Twitter. Fellow game journos went on the defensive and didn't cover the controversy. It took a couple of larger game developers to tell him to fix the issue before he finally tried making amends. Some developers still aren't present in the credits list to this very day.

Alter Ego

kiwifarms.net
Where was all this faggot virtue signalling over Black Hawk Down?
Rami Ismail made a reference to Black Hawk Down during his mental breakdown over Six Days. It's also fair to say that he's no longer a game dev, having been making his living as a globe-trotting public speaker for years. His last game was Nuclear Throne from 2015, since leaving his two-person company Vlambeer inactive until it was formerly dissolved last year.

Speaking of which, I never told the apparent conclusion to his episode that I described earlier in this thread:
So to exemplify the anger of game journalists and their friends on social media over this game, I was considering posting Twitter rants from Rami Ismail, but he just had a huge lolcow moment that, while worth telling here, is harder to show direct sources for because it ended him deleting his Twitter account in rage.

For those who are not familiar with Rami Ismail, he was an indie game developer responsible for half of such games as Luftrausers and Nuclear Throne, his popularity especially among game journalists making him the current "king of indie games", a title held previously held by Jonathan Blow and Phil Fish. Why is he popular, exactly? Not really because of his games, as fine as they are, but rather because of his correct politics as a very outspoken Egyptian-Dutch Muslim from the Netherlands who appears to genuinely regard the United States as the worst country in the world. As far as I'm aware, he hasn't even done any game development since Nuclear Throne in 2015, but rather makes his living as a globe-trotting public speaker.

Anyway, Rami was obviously set off by the re-announcement of Six Days in Fallujah, going on a viral Twitter rant soon after. Unfortunately, without access to his direct tweets, I cannot find this rant anywhere, not in an archive or even a screencap. You can easily imagine what it entailed though. Lots of complaining about the Iraq War, dead Muslim civilians, supposed war crimes, and how its a travesty for this game to take a (primarily) US military perspective and portray them as anything but villains.

Come yesterday, there was something else that concerned Rami. You see, as the king of indie games, he was used to his friends in games journalism calling him up all the time for his expert opinion on games and events he wasn't involved in. This time, however, nobody called him to ask for his thoughts on Six Days in Fallujah. And this made him upset. So he took to Twitter again:
View attachment 1928954

This morning, he went much further:
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1362067023874957316.html

To reiterate, Rami is a lifelong European, his dad being from Egypt.

As an aside, see that bit about "the podcast of a Gamergater"? That's his response to an offer from Colin Moriarty, certainly not a "Gamergater," but rather a game journalist and internet media personality who, in similar fashion to Gina Carano from The Mandalorian, was thrown out of Greg Miller's video game and pop culture media group Kinda Funny for being moderately conservative:
View attachment 1928955

As it happened, there were some things said in Rami's rant above that ticked off his own Leftist social circle, and it's not just him complaining about game journalists who obviously can never do wrong. Can you guess where his mistake is? It's the part at the beginning where he places his preferred victim status above black people's.

Cue confrontation with Gita Jackson, an awful game journalist from VICE and formerly Kotaku:
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1362104867284807680.html

With this among other angry responses from people who are ordinarily his buddies, Rami went ballistic:
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1362094548604907528.html

And then he deleted his Twitter account shortly thereafter. But he'll probably just come back again within the month, in which case all of his tweets will be available directly again. We'll see.
View attachment 1928956

P.S., I wish I could link to this post in my OP, but it looks like I can no longer edit that.

So Rami Ismail actually ended up returning to Twitter by Sunday, not even a whole week, with a very lengthy apology speech on a brand new Medium account. Can't really find much in terms of reactions to this whole ordeal, so as far as I can tell, he's been accepted back into his online progressive social circle once more, much of his audience and peers probably unaware that his controversy even happened. With the reactivation of his Twitter account, his original rant against Six Days in Fallujah can be seen again, but of course he explicitly purged the other rants that landed him in trouble.

Since then, Rami made another post on Medium restating his previous (deleted) Twitter rant about "his people" not having first say on Six Days. More recently, he made a new Twitter rant condemning the gameplay reveal trailer, coupled with his own (partial) reaction video to it. I find it particularly amusing that despite his adamant advocacy for Iraqi et al. voices, he dismissively glossed over the part with the Iraqi civilian testimony. Extending from that, Australian video game media personality Alanah Pearce, now a writer at Sony Santa Monica (God of War), promoted Rami's take with an added unsubstantiated statement that her voiced opinion on Six Days could threaten her visa status. Rami has since been fighting with critics in both Twitter threads.

3948679346.JPG

Honestly, I would say that Rami is quite the piece of work deserving of his own thread, given his high status in video game journo/indie circles how much he hates the US and the West to a cartoonish degree. Like here's his (reply-locked) take on the whole Suez Canal blockage that's been in the news.

Last edited:

Cheese-Loving Citizen

Remember to stay off the sand!
kiwifarms.net
Rami Ismail made a reference to Black Hawk Down during his mental breakdown over Six Days. It's also fair to say that he's no longer a game dev, having been making his living as a globe-trotting public speaker for years. His last game was Nuclear Throne from 2015, since leaving his two-person company Vlambeer inactive until it was formerly dissolved last year.

Speaking of which, I never told the apparent conclusion to his episode that I described earlier in this thread:

So Rami Ismail actually ended up returning to Twitter by Sunday, not even a whole week, with a very lengthy apology speech on a brand new Medium account. Can't really find much in terms of reactions to this whole ordeal, so as far as I can tell, he's been accepted back into his online progressive social circle once more, much of his audience and peers probably unaware that his controversy even happened. With the reactivation of his Twitter account, his original rant against Six Days in Fallujah can be seen again, but of course he explicitly purged the other rants that landed him in trouble.

Since then, Rami made another post on Medium restating his previous (deleted) Twitter rant about "his people" not having first say on Six Days. More recently, he made a new Twitter rant condemning the gameplay reveal trailer, coupled with his own (partial) reaction video to it. I find it particularly amusing that despite his adamant advocacy for Iraqi et al. voices, he dismissively glossed over the part with the Iraqi civilian testimony. Extending from that, Australian video game media personality Alanah Pearce, now a writer at Sony Santa Monica (God of War), promoted Rami's take with an added unsubstantiated statement that her voiced opinion on Six Days could threaten her visa status. Rami has since been fighting with critics in both Twitter threads.

View attachment 2029075

Honestly, I would say that Rami is quite the piece of work deserving of his own thread, given his high status in video game journo/indie circles how much he hates the US and the West to a cartoonish degree. Like here's his take on the whole Suez Canal blockage that's been in the news.
Damn, I loved Nuclear Throne. I never knew Rami was such a whiny cunt. Goddamn, it's like Phil Fish all over again...

SITHRAK!

ESL teenager spouting gibberish and angry words.
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, this exists, it's called playing ARMA on any sort of realistic long-term campaign. Nothing says fun like spending 15 minutes loading up your technical with spare mags, medical equipment, RPG rounds and camping equipment, mounting up, figuring out a route to get to your destination with minimal chances of being detected by the enemy, spending 15 minutes driving there through monotonous terrain, and then getting blown up from beyond your line of sight by a patrolling attack helicopter who picked you up on infrared and annihilated you in 2 seconds with laser guided missiles.

ARMA2 Takistani Banhammer.PNG

No, I just don't confine "strategic" to coloring map games like Paradox autists do.
Strategy is getting troops where they need to be, Tactics is what they do when they get there.
You're literally the only person I've ever heard referring to ARMA and Squad as 'strategy' games.
But hey, we all walk our own paths. Not saying you're wrong. Just... atypical.

White Devil

Space Hate Crimes
kiwifarms.net

Strategy is getting troops where they need to be, Tactics is what they do when they get there.
You're literally the only person I've ever heard referring to ARMA and Squad as 'strategy' games.
But hey, we all walk our own paths. Not saying you're wrong. Just... atypical.
I'm sorry you've never played either game then. At least on an organized level.

Weird that people have decided to latch onto this as some sort of controversy, despite many different games showcasing war or other horrible things.

Foolish of them to attempt the original 2009 production though, considering the controversy around the battle and that it was only 4 years after the event. On the other hand, it's a better name than "Shooty Shooty:biggrin:esert Edition" and could easily have been chosen for the possible controversy.

TVStactic

kiwifarms.net
Honestly, I would say that Rami is quite the piece of work deserving of his own thread, given his high status in video game journo/indie circles how much he hates the US and the West to a cartoonish degree. Like here's his (reply-locked) take on the whole Suez Canal blockage that's been in the news.
i find it funny that such insufferable faggots get jobs easy peasy yet people that have potential are discarded like a nympho uses condoms.

this fucker hates the west because of his retarded mind yet they gave him a voice on twitter because muh poc... this fucking sucks and any nigger with some sense woulda tell this bitch to commit allah akbar in some bumfuck park during his spergouts to own the west.

found a image on /v/ about who is in favor of dropping fallujah.. ironic as fuck.
thefuck.jpg

Alter Ego

kiwifarms.net
Since it hasn't been explicitly mentioned, here's the recent gameplay reveal trailer (IGN exclusive) that sparked this new wave of conversation/controversy on the game since the re-announcement last month:

In addition, IGN also has an hour-long interview (alternate audio-only version) with Peter Tamte and Jaime Griesemer about the game, counterbalanced with an article last week in which they specifically sought critics (including Anita Sarkeesian) for their opinions.

I'm particularly interested in the tactical squad command gameplay. It's very reminiscent of the Brothers in Arms series, my favorite single-player military shooter experience, though I'm skeptical of whether procedurally-generated environments will be able to facilitate combat encounters that make those squad commands useful along with suppression and flanking tactics.

Kotaku has quite the take specifically in response to IGN's coverage.

9387468937.JPG

286093486.JPG

The tired cat

Fluffy angel of death
kiwifarms.net
Controversy aside, I think this game looks kinda mediocre.

I'm getting MOH Warfighter vibes. I would love to see this game riff off of Full Spectrum Warrior. That would be alot more interesting from an historical or tactical view.

Regardless of how good the game is, it will be negatively review bombed by the gaming press.
I do love the irony that backs in the early 2000s and 90's we had Republicans losing their shit over violent video games, but now it's the left's turn to pick up the crazy hat and wear it with pride. Also, I'd say it's less Warfighter and more Brothers in Arms.

Mooger Meng

kiwifarms.net
Because A. you always have a mortar (or several, plus other assorted support weapons) with infantry, and B. you have infantry as part of relief ops because loaded rifles keep assholes in check, and C. assholes love fucking with fleeing civilians for whatever asshole reason, and you need to make them fuck off from that in a permanent manner.
Between you and a co-worker who was in the forces, I'm starting to think the question shouldn't be "why do we have a mortar?", but rather "why don't we have a mortar?", among other things.

Snekposter

This is Snek.
kiwifarms.net
Between you and a co-worker who was in the forces, I'm starting to think the question shouldn't be "why do we have a mortar?", but rather "why don't we have a mortar?", among other things.
If you look at the US military, its mortars all the way down, really. We've got 107's mounted in the back of M113's, 80's as part of weapons platoons, and every rifle squad has multiple 40mm "mortars" mounted under their rifle barrels. And before you ask, yes, those 40mm "mortars" have WP rounds available as well. 40mm WP doesn't get issued for obvious fucking reason of your average infantryman cannot be trusted to not fire them off and turn the combat area into Alexander the Great's Persepolis.

Last edited:

A_Callow_Youth

Moonposting Martyr
kiwifarms.net
If you look at the US military, its mortars all the way down, really. We've got 107's mounted in the back of M113's, 80's as part of weapons platoons, and every rifle squad has multiple 40mm "mortars" mounted under their rifle barrels. And before you ask, yes, those 40mm "mortars" have WP rounds available as well. 40mm WP doesn't get issued for obvious fucking reason of your average infantryman cannot be trusted to not fire them off and turn the combat area into Alexander the Great's Persepolis.
I fucking love the sound of a 203 going off, that adorable little klak is second only to the M2 for best gun sound.